Mounted combat nerfs

Tzone

May 16, 2021
With all the GK Kids now having Mounted in meduli taking it over from the large guilds. Im waiting to see which people change their minds about not nerfing mounted now.

@Bicorps We killed a white bear today. Just hit me up with the pet and who it is and what time. Meduli is now a pet free zone for most people. I try to leave some of the newbs alone for the most part or friendly people.

Mounted > White bear so far

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
you can nerf mounteds how you want it would just increase the TTK.
there is no range dismount for foot fighters and the side step sway and stamina drain on bows just kills it.

For Sure

Jun 25, 2021
don't have the attention span to read your first post.

also dude honestly, not my footage, not involved in the clip really don't care.

I'll upload clips when i feel like it, have other shit I'd rather do atm.

and who are you again? another fan?
You'd have to be a somebody for me to be a fan. I have a lot of names in game. Zers seems to have linked my video. Remember your place little man. Just know I don' t care about dying or losing. Just know the rerolls are to actually get fights. You wouldn't understand what thats like struggling to get an even number fight, because people just run away from you. Anywho I'll be await these magical clips of me getting 1v3'd all day. It'll be really entertaining and probably 923874398 hours of footage.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
i lol'd at this shitpost, the amount of ignorance is laughable.
His guild cant even leave meduli to play mounted right now. IDK how they are the experts with mounted when they are not winning mounted v mounted.

hrorrik

Jun 29, 2021
Observations (IMO):

1. I think most people would agree that Mounted gameplay is necessary given the size of the game.
  2. Mounted Combat should do more damage and as such should suffer a consequence of sorts for this higher damage.
  3. There aren't enough counter-play options to Mounted that don't involve other mounted.
  4. Mounted Builds provide a unique means for players with higher ping to engage in PVP without having to rely on said ping as much as they might on foot.
  5. Few Mounted were happy with the way dismount mechanics operated in the past.

Problems with dismount mechanics in the past/present:

1. It created a knockdown/debuff that was very nearly only unique to mounted. (-)
  2. the knockdown sequence isn't exclusively initiated upon the mount's death (or even an appropriate threshold near it), but based on a sum of variables that could mean your first tanked hit = dismount (even assuming full skills for resisting). (-)
  3. the punishment isn't for gambling on your horse's ability to tank the hit in terms of HP, the punishment is a reaction to getting hit period. (-)

What dismount addresses:

1. It allows foot fighters to reduce MC mobility (+)
  2. It creates a window to trade back some of the damage (or kill them entirely) inflicted by the mounted (+)

What might we do?:

1. increase the number of ways you can effectively kill/slow mounts.
  • Create a modifier on thrust type attacks that multiply damage on anything tagged as mountable (with a rider atop and the horse not speed:0)
  • add locational damage to pets/mounts that create things like stackable slows/limping which could inhibit the ability to charge (MC) or aim effectively (MA).
  • simply create a functional spear stance this time. 🙃
  • create place-able pikes, similar to how you might place a campfire that last for a short time period
  • Make damage of any type (within a threshold) to the mount alter the riders path to some degree, or wobble casting/aiming; "your horse isn't psyched it has an arrow in its neck and veers right."

2. Just play with the numbers on mount HP to avoid having to implement new mechanics
  • Nerf horse HP so that a dismount (exclusively upon mount death) would be appropriate. Lowering horse HP would lower the time to kill mounts for FF, and Mounted now get a solid visual indicator of when they will be dismounted.

(These are just my thoughts on dismount mechanics and alternatives and don't necessarily indicate my thoughts on any other mechanics related to current iteration of Mounted gameplay)

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
Create a modifier on thrust type attacks that multiply damage on anything tagged as mountable (with a rider atop and the horse not speed:0)

I mean this alone. It's simple momentum and collision. It's a two way street and therefore the rider moving at speed should receive increased damage from being hit in the front (if the hitboxes can determine this) from any force (swing, thrust, arrow etc).

Reactions: cerqo and hrorrik

hrorrik

Jun 29, 2021
I mean this alone. It's simple momentum and collision. It's a two way street and therefore the rider moving at speed should receive increased damage from being hit in the front (if the hitboxes can determine this) from any force (swing, thrust, arrow etc).

There are plenty of potential options that would really shake up the way these two playstyles engage with each other without making either playstyle overpowered. We need creative solutions that keep the playstyles engaged, trading damage and determining whether to take cover, heal, or gamble. Dismounting stops the decision making from two unique playstyles and just creates another foot fight with a clear advantage to the party not stuck in an animation to stand upright.

That being said, the current iteration of Mounted is pretty overwhelming, I can't blame people for being upset. You can legitimately heal your horse while riding then turn around and whip out your spear and re-engage. All of that with none of the methods I described to turn the tide so to speak.

Havoc

Aug 23, 2021
The meta has and always will be a large foot zerg with a handful of mounted. Even when MCs were one shotting everyone with oghmium skull lances and there was only a single form of dismounts, that was the strongest group composition for pvp.

Mounted will ALWAYS win small scale, because they have more mobility. Even if they can never kill a footfighter they will always be able to run away no matter the dismount mechanic. This will never change unless SV nerfs them to the point of uselessness in combat.

MO1 suffered greatly from how strong necromancy pets were relative to everything else. Other than that only Stalker Lyk weakspots and Minotaur knockdowns ever affected pvp/needed nerfs. Pets need to remain easy to parry and focus down to be properly balanced in combat.

I suggest that once animations are finished and fixed, they use Beast Mastery/Pet Levels to control their strength. Make pets very easy to parry, but then make stronger attacks unlocked with BM skill have shorter windows and be harder to block. This makes a straightforward investment with an easy balancing point for future tweaks.

Reactions: jgonano

Havoc

Aug 23, 2021
Foot fighters who are good at the game reroll to mounted to beable ot just fighter mounted but its too easy and they get board even tho they are winning fights.

I disagree. The best foot fighters remain on foot because to them it's a more enjoyable playstyle, and they simply don't want to practice a type of gameplay they have less fun playing just to lose to people who ONLY play that way.

That's the beauty of a classless system, everyone plays their own way to get better than others at that style.

After 3 dozen individual nerfs to mounted in MO1, the same people still asked for more. No change will make mounted lose in small scale pvp.

Reactions: jgonano

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
Mounted will ALWAYS win small scale, because they have more mobility. Even if they can never kill a footfighter they will always be able to run away no matter the dismount mechanic. This will never change unless SV nerfs them to the point of uselessness in combat.
The issue is that mounted combat is the highest damage(mounted charge), highest mobility, highest armored, highest HP (usually), highest Strength (usually), and safest build in the game. The only drawback they have is potentially not being able to kill a foot if they decide to jump on a roof or something.

I want mounted combat to be a very good playstyle. But it is and always has been busted in MO because of how the game is designed and how balance is done.

They need major weaknesses. It can't just be taking a gamble with your life getting in to trade a swing with a blunt weapon for a dismount or a mage casting EQ. Even if you get the dismount chances are you're then exposed and the other mounteds swiftly kill you. Especially since EQ hurts the caster too lmao.

Making mounts slower depending on weight was a step in the right direction. And I honestly don't know how big of an impact that actually has because I haven't tested it.

Look I dont want to kill the mounted fanboys class, but for fucks sake we nerfed HYBRIDS instead of the mega class. This shit isn't right.

My guild was stubborn in MO1 and kept to the foot combat. But if things don't change, we aren't gonna sit around waiting for a nerf thats never gonna come. Been there done that. We are just gonna ride the boring ass meta wave.

Reactions: cerqo and Tzone

Havoc

Aug 23, 2021
The reason your guild will go right back to fighting on foot:

You will run around as a mounted zerg, killing other mounteds and 1-3 person groups of footies who decided to run across open plains. Eventually you will run into a foot zerg of equal or greater number. You will realize you can't engage them in any winnable fashion, that they have the mass advantage by being so tightly grouped and on top of eachother in large numbers. So after losing 1-2 of your party because they overextended and got surrounded, stuck, or dismounted- you will ride away knowing that you missed out on an epic footfight that you spent all night hunting.

Mounteds always win small scale, but foot will always be meta for group pvp. Nerfing mounted will never give you what you want because not only will you never get more of the footfights you crave, you will just have less players in the game.

I just hope SV realizes that this time around.

Last edited:
Reactions: jgonano and Kokolo

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
Mounteds always win small scale, but foot will always be meta for group pvp. Nerfing mounted will never give you what you want because not only will you never get more of the footfights you crave, you will just have less players in the game.

its about makinging the endoutcome so that you can walk solo, with a friend or a small group and have a chance to pull a draw against a mounted roam by giving them the risk of losing one horse and you can outheal the dmg.

alot of people play footy becasue its their style not because of farm effectiveness or kills per hour so you want to protect this class very well to make sure everyone can walk to his dungeon. in mo2 most peeps on ground fighters have horses to dump them in the next group fight or dungeon so after that they need to be protected too.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
nerf side step bow sway and stamina drain on longbows together with longbow anti-horse-armor arrows will kill MAs, mages need new spells.
dismount mechanics will kill MCs.

Kebek

Jan 11, 2021
Do you even play the game?

All you need to do is block thrust and you're good. Get a hammer and dismount them.

"But mounted so stronk" well they invested in more gear than you: a mount.

MC is just popular right now cause it's relatively new. It will go back to mainly foot fighting eventually. Yikes, man.
This is what really kills the game. People asking for nerfs all the time without a proper reason.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
Do you even play the game?

All you need to do is block thrust and you're good. Get a hammer and dismount them.

"But mounted so stronk" well they invested in more gear than you: a mount.

MC is just popular right now cause it's relatively new. It will go back to mainly foot fighting eventually. Yikes, man.
This is what really kills the game. People asking for nerfs all the time without a proper reason.
Ah yes. Just get a hammer! Duh. I shall never leave home without it!

And the "they invested more gear" argument is so bad. MC isn't just popular because its relatively new.

There are many reasons listed in this thread. You just don't like them or can't read.

The reason your guild will go right back to fighting on foot:

You will run around as a mounted zerg, killing other mounteds and 1-3 person groups of footies who decided to run across open plains. Eventually you will run into a foot zerg of equal or greater number. You will realize you can't engage them in any winnable fashion, that they have the mass advantage by being so tightly grouped and on top of eachother in large numbers. So after losing 1-2 of your party because they overextended and got surrounded, stuck, or dismounted- you will ride away knowing that you missed out on an epic footfight that you spent all night hunting.

My experience is completely different than yours. Nice attempt at trying to be an oracle though, I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tzone and cerqo