Make skilling take longer

BleckCat

Jul 17, 2020
System now its too quick. Get red, delete and be back to full by next day. Many remake characters to avoid rep system. It should take weeks for some skills and not macro punch. Make Nave Great by making things invested.

Reactions: Senusret

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Only if we switch from a grind by use to gather XP by killing mobs and allocate that to actives system. This system is horrid enough to use as is. The main reason everyone will have a new character in a day is that everyone will be macroing when your best leveling methods are action spams.

Reactions: Kuroi and BleckCat

BleckCat

Jul 17, 2020
Only if we switch from a grind by use to gather XP by killing mobs and allocate that to actives system. This system is horrid enough to use as is. The main reason everyone will have a new character in a day is that everyone will be macroing when your best leveling methods are action spams.
Good idea! Cant macro mob kills. Needing macro is bad design for modern game.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Yeah if you're down for that, then I would be down for some kind of longer grind. Ideally I think it would be good if you can knock out the bulk of your essential skills pretty quick. Afterall our guild mission statement is:

"To allow newbs to meaningfully contribute to enjoyable PvP fights starting as early as their first day of play."

But that doesn't mean 100 in all skills, especially higher tier skills, day one. It just means getting your super essential skills knocked out quickly. So like, a tamer might be able to get creature control to 70 very fast, and to 100 a bit more slowly, and advanced creature control with considerably more effort.

As long as the minimum viable barrier to entry is reached quick, I don't mind dragging out the process of reaching 100% effectiveness enough that there is some sense of accomplishment, and a sense of punishment to people who reroll more often than they change their underwear.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
You shouldn't spend more than a couple of hours leveling any given skill.

This game effectively only has end game content.

Don't get me wrong I actually really enjoyed leveling characters. It is simply this game's design that you can level in less than a week of fairly casual play.

and before "yadda yadda macroing". Make the commonly macro'd skills easier to level.

I get the sense that people just want to replace macroing with ridiculous grinds. When grinds are the CAUSE OF macroing.

Reactions: Zbuciorn

AnabolicRage

Aug 31, 2020
You shouldn't spend more than a couple of hours leveling any given skill.

This game effectively only has end game content.

Don't get me wrong I actually really enjoyed leveling characters. It is simply this game's design that you can level in less than a week of fairly casual play.

and before "yadda yadda macroing". Make the commonly macro'd skills easier to level.

I get the sense that people just want to replace macroing with ridiculous grinds. When grinds are the CAUSE OF macroing.
I do agree with this. It is difficult if you have a job IRL and a family to constantly be online trying to level all of your skills. I do believe it should be a bit easier to level your skills and not take as long.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
There should be at least some skills that take long to level to get a sense of long time progression. But they should not be the most basic skills but some "specialization" to get the last 5% of power to get the maximum out of your build.
But the should not be macroable but reward continious playing. E. g. be capped to gaining X level per 1 Week.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
System now its too quick. Get red, delete and be back to full by next day. Many remake characters to avoid rep system. It should take weeks for some skills and not macro punch. Make Nave Great by making things invested.
Well of course it’s too quick, you start with skills already maxed right now. Won’t be like that at launch.
I wouldn’t make it any harder than in MO1. I feel they had a very good balance with skill levelling. Some were pretty easy but the higher ones ( mounted archery, heavy armor training, etc) took quite a while.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020

I certainly don't want ridiculous grinds to take the place of macroing. But the reason I macro is because when spamming block in the air is the best way to level a character, 5 minutes feels like an eternity. So it's more than just the time that make macros. It's how incredibly boring that time is. If I can go out and farm graveyard for an hour or two to get my basic PVP skills, and then pick the rest up over the rest over my first week of playing the game and killing some mobs for profit, I won't macro. I won't want to macro.

If you expect me to spend more than 5 minutes spamming actions and allow macroing though, that's how I'm going to get it done.

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
TBH I doubt the system will change, and I don't necessarily think it has to. In the beginning of the game I think most people will be out farming resources, while that is happening they'll be reading a book, then when they go to bed they'll turn on their run/spurt/block macro to continue their character's progression through the game.

Pure macroing a character's skills only came about because of having multiple character/accounts and resources coming out your ears because of previous years of farming long gone. I don't think they'll ever get rid of macroing unless they make it a ban-able offense and actually ban people that are reported and proven to be doing so.

Moxx

Oct 19, 2020
Thats not how MO works ... you have 1100 points to spend for fighting and crafting. It will be month of play time to get professions ready. No one will delete his char after 300h grinding to get e.g. butchering and all necessary subskills to 100.

Right now it's beta phase ... don't expect the game to be as it is right now after it's released. People start with 0 skills nothing will be raised to 100.

Reactions: Xunila and Kelzyr

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I certainly don't want ridiculous grinds to take the place of macroing. But the reason I macro is because when spamming block in the air is the best way to level a character, 5 minutes feels like an eternity. So it's more than just the time that make macros. It's how incredibly boring that time is. If I can go out and farm graveyard for an hour or two to get my basic PVP skills, and then pick the rest up over the rest over my first week of playing the game and killing some mobs for profit, I won't macro. I won't want to macro.

If you expect me to spend more than 5 minutes spamming actions and allow macroing though, that's how I'm going to get it done.
But that is exactly what you will get with this line of thinking.

Star vault isn’t going to redesign the skilling system there just isn’t time to do so.

What they’re going to do is just nerf a few things like the blocking and call it fixed.

And all you’ll be left with is the same grind but some alternative clever way of doing it.

Just leave it easy if you can get a few stats by blocking leave it that way. All that will be encouraged is just setting up another client to punch you and parry that. Making the macro problem actually more exclusive and cheesy.

Macroing isn’t a problem when you can do it manually but nerfing the stuff you can do manually means guaranteed macroing.

I don’t think anyone is macroing the blocking right now because it’s pretty easy to do atm. Other than yourself because you’re trying extremely hard to make a point.

In summary

Why would you macro if you can do it easily manually?

Why wouldn’t you macro if sv is trying to balance it around macroing causing them to nerf any method you found of doing it easily yourself? Since you need to simulate other players

Last edited:

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Takes 3-4 cycles of my placeholder macro to max con on a veela. That macro lasts 7 and half minutes roughly. So like half an hour of sitting there spamming an action to get that one skill up. By release we should have upgraded macros that level every skill that can be macroed and run for forever until you put through a quit command and be passing them out to every recruit.

Why would I macro? Because why would I waste half an hour of my time doing something boring? Easy isn't the point. If the best they can do is a macro leveling system, just remove leveling entirely.

Solairerection

May 28, 2020
Takes 3-4 cycles of my placeholder macro to max con on a veela. That macro lasts 7 and half minutes roughly. So like half an hour of sitting there spamming an action to get that one skill up. By release we should have upgraded macros that level every skill that can be macroed and run for forever until you put through a quit command and be passing them out to every recruit.

Good.

Why would I macro? Because why would I waste half an hour of my time doing something boring? Easy isn't the point. If the best they can do is a macro leveling system, just remove leveling entirely.

No one forces you to macro, if you want to level the good old fashioned way then you are very free to do so. Is it boring hammering the block button or sprinting back and fourth? No shit, Sherlock. Maybe don't do that and instead fight with eachother or go for a run in the world, or try different crafting recipes.

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
Many special skills will be difficult to learn or expensive to buy the book like Oghmium lore which needs an item dropped by the Greater Kimuru and then transported to the south coast of the jungle. Nobody would ever delete such a character again! Same goes for many other very special profession skills and even for some action skills.

Kebek

Jan 11, 2021
There will be skills that take longer, others not so much. Has always been like that.

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
I've been advocating for this for a long time. Progression needs to be way longer, maybe not on a basic level but on general mastery. It needs to have meaning and be part of the overall everyday gameplay.
There needs to be more depth, specialization, long term goals.
It's less about deleting characters and more about giving it all meaning and drive.

I've made many suggestions for systems that keep the skill curve low but still prolong it and give it meaning and some for further specialization on top of what we currently have.

Reactions: Senusret

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
I've been advocating for this for a long time. Progression needs to be way longer, maybe not on a basic level but on general mastery. It needs to have meaning and be part of the overall everyday gameplay.
There needs to be more depth, specialization, long term goals.
It's less about deleting characters and more about giving it all meaning and drive.

I've made many suggestions for systems that keep the skill curve low but still prolong it and give it meaning and some for further specialization on top of what we currently have.
The issue with this is that you end up with a game like DF where the gap between new players and nubes is very large. Granted their skill cap was endless but I don’t want to have to skill up for years.

a few months should be enough especially when you think that you might want to try different skills every now and then. Sure the last 10 points or so in high end skills can take longer but not insanely long.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Darkfall's leveling was horrid. It was macroable and still took forever. It made the game damn near unplayable if you came in and didn't macro. (Which I didn't back then, infact DF is WHY I will never not macro another macroable leveling system)