Mages are trash or what the hell is going on?

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Well to be honest I wouldn’t say the us vets are totally ok with the state of mages right now.
yes in MO1 mages were also not able to 1vs 1 warriors, but they could kite effectively and stay alive at least. It was possible to survive most encounters even if you were probably not going to kill your enemy type thing. Sort of a stale mate as long as skill was similar.

With the nerf of top speed, kiting has gotten much harder which does make it a problem. You can’t just be a free kill. Nobody will play mages if they can’t at least survive in pvp.
So yea I do think mages need some love right now. Just not sure they should be buffed so much that they can take on a full warrior in 1vs1. The balancing act can be tricky.

Reactions: Kelzyr

Ruthless

Mar 26, 2021
Well to be honest I wouldn’t say the us vets are totally ok with the state of mages right now.
yes in MO1 mages were also not able to 1vs 1 warriors, but they could kite effectively and stay alive at least. It was possible to survive most encounters even if you were probably not going to kill your enemy type thing. Sort of a stale mate as long as skill was similar.

With the nerf of top speed, kiting has gotten much harder which does make it a problem. You can’t just be a free kill. Nobody will play mages if they can’t at least survive in pvp.
So yea I do think mages need some love right now. Just not sure they should be buffed so much that they can take on a full warrior in 1vs1. The balancing act can be tricky.

They should be buffed but not be able to take on a warrior 1v1? That's were I think the majority of newer players disagree.

Personally, I think all classes should be able to win 1v1 situations/duels without making group PvP unbalanced. Accepting that warriors will always be the best 1v1 is weird to me. It's a PvP focused game after all.

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
They should be buffed but not be able to take on a warrior 1v1? That's were I think the majority of newer players disagree.

Personally, I think all classes should be able to win 1v1 situations/duels without making group PvP unbalanced. Accepting that warriors will always be the best 1v1 is weird to me. It's a PvP focused game after all.
Ecumenical is a basic magic school, with beginner/novice spells - Mainly for support in group fights and solo survivability. Other schools are more advanced and offer much more offensive means than ecumenical. You'll just have to wait for the other schools to eventually make it into MO2 to even think about being something of an offensive mage.

As others pointed out too, current Alvarin balance is poopy.

Reactions: Kelzyr

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020

It’s an mmorpg, they are typically assymetrical in nature or rock paper scissory.

I wouldn’t play anything but mage if I wanted to have impact in fights.

You’re not going to be frost novaing and polymorphing anyone but a mage with a summon was generally unkillable for a solo warrior.

Rhias

May 28, 2020

At least not in meele distance. The advantage of a mage is range. And I think if you surprise your enemy at range you can beat a warrior 1 vs 1.

However, there are some magic schools that have some kind of "crowd control" abilitys to keep enemys at range e.g. elementalism.
But I think they should start early on with staff magic, since I heared from a lot of people that they're looking for a "Gandalf-style mage", who is at least able to block/parry hits at melee distance.

Ruthless

Mar 26, 2021
Ecumenical is a basic magic school, with beginner/novice spells - Mainly for support in group fights and solo survivability. Other schools are more advanced and offer much more offensive means than ecumenical. You'll just have to wait for the other schools to eventually make it into MO2 to even think about being something of an offensive mage.

As others pointed out too, current Alvarin balance is poopy.

Yeah, I understand that. However, I think it's very difficult for someone who wants to play a mage to accept that the first school of magic they receive won't help them survive 1v1 situations. Hopefully mages receive more options or a serious buff prior to release.

Yoshihito

Apr 4, 2021
The game is still in beta and there is currently only one of magic schools out. There are still lots of changes to come.

However, check out this mage; seems effective to me.

Damn he exploits water a lot, lol.

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
The game is still in beta and there is currently only one of magic schools out. There are still lots of changes to come.

However, check out this mage; seems effective to me.

This is largely a noobstomping video. The real deal pvp'ers are going to hit you for 50-60 with each arrow on mage armor.

As much as I really wanted mages to be strong enough to hold their own it seems like SV is determined to keep them isolated to group pvp fights only or playing pokemon with broken AI.

Reactions: Ruthless

Cobblecat

Mar 29, 2021
Personally, I feel as if it's not worth rolling a mage due to the clear disadvantages. Most notable is the inability to defend yourself in 1v1 (equal skill) type situations. I'm not saying it's completely impossible but you're at a serious disadvantage.

There was a video posted of a mage, with warrior companions, doing quite well in a fight, but depressingly it seemed the mage was only viable bunny-hopping and parkour running around the terrain and taking refuge in the water before rinsing and repeating. A ghastly playstyle to me, so now I just use magic for healing myself and my pet.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
There was a video posted of a mage, with warrior companions, doing quite well in a fight, but depressingly it seemed the mage was only viable bunny-hopping and parkour running around the terrain and taking refuge in the water before rinsing and repeating. A ghastly playstyle to me, so now I just use magic for healing myself and my pet.

This is kind of a seperate issue but right now to be a fully effective healer you need to build your character in the exact same manner as an offensive mage. For instance "Mental Offense" (Seems like that would logically only apply to damage spells right?) effects healing just as much as a thunderlash.

Would be cool to see healing divided from offensive spells a bit in the way you need to build to master it. Personally would love to see builds that do just healing or just offensive be a lower point investment than the healer/damage mage that we currently have. I love that the healer/damage mage exist and it's point investment feels fine. Would just love to see skills divided up a bit differently so each function can be isolated and implemented into builds separately.

Charizard

Jan 1, 2021
This is largely a noobstomping video. The real deal pvp'ers are going to hit you for 50-60 with each arrow on mage armor.
Imagine trying to pretend that a class is good based on a video of a vet curbstomping obvious noobs, lmao. Mage DPS sucks, mage HPS sucks, mage survivability sucks. More spells will not change the problems with the class.

You can only play as a mage until some guy who is plat+ in valorant straight skill checks you with 2 headshots.

The amount of "Mo1" vets trying to deny this is hilarious.

Reactions: Ruthless

LivingshadeNL

Mar 23, 2021
With current stickybacking mechanics i dont like rolling a mage. And some other reasons like bows being super strong etc.

Last edited: