Mage Mana Problems

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
if you've played a mage you have ran into this problem, it's in the big mage fight videos if they dont edit it out. In group fights, where the class is supposedly balanced for if you are being active in the fight and throwing out your discount heals and when being pushed you use an offensive spell, even if you are naked and at 100% mana regen. at some point in the fight you need to back off and sit down to regain mana.... this shows that the mana cost system is broken. Some have suggested that the mana regen should be buffed. but with a tweak of a value of 1-2 regen it will not.

here's a suggestion to the dev team, Cut all current mana costs by a value of 10 mana and it would solve this issue so mages can stay in fights longer, the gameplay loop has been said by many vets that opt out of the class that it's just not rewarding and fun to play. and i think it's because of this point right here. please do something about the cost of mana, I dont think the main focus should be on increasing the cost of reagents for the beginner school so that new player are punished for picking up the class because the Vets want it to be harder for other vets to play it. Please dont make the same mistakes as MO1 but keep with the vision of making the New player experience better,

Reactions: PoisonArrows

Piet

May 28, 2020
It's not a good system if it doesn't run out. The whole idea is you manage your stam, you be warry to not die by losing health, you manage your mana. I personally don't have any issues with mana at all.

Icegoten

Jun 12, 2020
I was under the impression that the psyche stat increased your mana regen rate but haven't noticed that at all in MO2. Psyche increases your mana pool and magic resist but I would hope they add mana regen to it as well so someone has a reason to go high psyche like they have reason to max the other stats.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Piet

May 28, 2020
I was under the impression that the psyche stat increased your mana regen rate but haven't noticed that at all in MO2. Psyche increases your mana pool and magic resist but I would hope they add mana regen to it as well so someone has a reason to go high psyche like they have reason to max the other stats.
Psy was never mana regen rate it was always only based on armor weight. They buffed psy this time around though because now it doesn't just have a chance to resist it also has damage reduction

Reactions: Najwalaylah

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
I dont want it to be infinite, that's not the problem here, 3-4 spells is just unreal and not sustainable, the other range class has 25 shots before they have to do a slight technical thing and then they are right back in it with little to no down time

after 3-4 offensive spells you are out for 1-2 minutes depending on your build you cannot see that as fine in a logical sense if you compare the class to other similar classes you would be lying to yourselves and the devs... that why this post was specifically written to the devs, not so much the community

Hayasa

Aug 26, 2020
I dont want it to be infinite, that's not the problem here, 3-4 spells is just unreal and not sustainable, the other range class has 25 shots before they have to do a slight technical thing and then they are right back in it with little to no down time

after 3-4 offensive spells you are out for 1-2 minutes depending on your build you cannot see that as fine in a logical sense if you compare the class to other similar classes you would be lying to yourselves and the devs... that why this post was specifically written to the devs, not so much the community
Are there mana potions?

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
Are there mana potions?
no, and lets say there were it still wouldn't explain how impartially bad the mana system is compared to the Stam system, if the archer stands still and pelts away arrows, and the mage did it beside them, even with all the mana potions, not only is the mage outdone in DPS, but will have to take a 1-2 minute break while the archer just needs to reach into an endless supply of arrows. I'm not asking for endless mana just something that can get a little closer to being competitive, it's just not even in the same realm at this point, even in discount spells, you run out way faster than another class runs out of their resource when doing quick attacks or quick charges, this is not good for combat balance, or PvE encounters

Piet

May 28, 2020

Sounds like you're looking to play a fat mage. Dex mage doesn't have the mana for more than a handful of offensive spells as they are intended as a support focused. They balance between when they can be offensive and when they should just be defensive and keep healing.

Piet

May 28, 2020
no, and lets say there were it still wouldn't explain how impartially bad the mana system is compared to the Stam system, if the archer stands still and pelts away arrows, and the mage did it beside them, even with all the mana potions, not only is the mage outdone in DPS, but will have to take a 1-2 minute break while the archer just needs to reach into an endless supply of arrows. I'm not asking for endless mana just something that can get a little closer to being competitive, it's just not even in the same realm at this point, even in discount spells, you run out way faster than another class runs out of their resource when doing quick attacks or quick charges, this is not good for combat balance, or PvE encounters
That's partially an over exaggeration as it's just a few seconds before you have enough mana for another spell and partially leaving out that if an archer runs that also uses his stam bar and then he dies if he is stammed.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
It's not a good system if it doesn't run out. The whole idea is you manage your stam, you be warry to not die by losing health, you manage your mana. I personally don't have any issues with mana at all.
You ran out before if you didnt manage it well. With hybrids you mainly just used heals and corrupts so it was not a big deal. With paladins you never gained back in combat and used it mainly for one time damage output and the rest would be heals. Paladins would sit to get mana back outside of fights but now they removed the convenience of sitting down for mana.

A mages is going to manage mana ok, no issues with them untill PvE where sitting down is big for sustaining a farm. It nerfed paladins, hybrids in convenience and then mages in PvE grind.

Theres not really a benefit for this since the issue with mages was high alpha damage and a low skill floor. Not their sustain in fights.

Reactions: Belegar

Piet

May 28, 2020
You ran out before if you didnt manage it well. With hybrids you mainly just used heals and corrupts so it was not a big deal. With paladins you never gained back in combat and used it mainly for one time damage output and the rest would be heals. Paladins would sit to get mana back outside of fights but now they removed the convenience of sitting down for mana.

A mages is going to manage mana ok, no issues with them untill PvE where sitting down is big for sustaining a farm. It nerfed paladins, hybrids in convenience and then mages in PvE grind.

Theres not really a benefit for this since the issue with mages was high alpha damage and a low skill floor. Not their sustain in fights.
He's not talking about armor weight he's talking about cost of spells. Armor weight was a great change but should have reversed the int change for it. But that is off topic. He is wanting all spells mana costs reduced by 10. This would make some spells free to cast.

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
He's not talking about armor weight he's talking about cost of spells. Armor weight was a great change but should have reversed the int change for it. But that is off topic. He is wanting all spells mana costs reduced by 10. This would make some spells free to cast.
anything under 10 ofc can stay as is i call those the discount spells if they were reduced by a lot less i wouldnt mind but the spells that matter in PvP or PvE are ofc the commonly used spells for offense.

theres no ramp up in the mage gameplay, they can struggle in beginner dungeons like the sewers in the end game state that shouldnt be a thing but it's the sad truth about it, did it this week and you mana out at the beginning if you decide to do anything other than heal so you can take some loot, and sitting while the group moves up is trash gameplay i'm sorry no walk arounds there, or you can keep up with the group with an empty mana bar and not do anything. not much gameplay choice there, or just not use any spells the whole time while the entire party is doing stuff... yeah riveting gameplay

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
Sounds like you're looking to play a fat mage. Dex mage doesn't have the mana for more than a handful of offensive spells as they are intended as a support focused. They balance between when they can be offensive and when they should just be defensive and keep healing.
Running a fat mage on foot in sewers and dungeons sounds like cancer gameplay it would open a whole new list of problems and things that would need to be changed or refined

the last fatmage that thought he wanted to run sewer content ended up as a meme in a legion video compilation

Piet

May 28, 2020
anything under 10 ofc can stay as is i call those the discount spells if they were reduced by a lot less i wouldnt mind but the spells that matter in PvP or PvE are ofc the commonly used spells for offense.

theres no ramp up in the mage gameplay, they can struggle in beginner dungeons like the sewers in the end game state that shouldnt be a thing but it's the sad truth about it, did it this week and you mana out at the beginning if you decide to do anything other than heal so you can take some loot, and sitting while the group moves up is trash gameplay i'm sorry no walk arounds there, or you can keep up with the group with an empty mana bar and not do anything. not much gameplay choice there, or just not use any spells the whole time while the entire party is doing stuff... yeah riveting gameplay
Ecumenical is the basic spells and personally I like the gameplay fine. If you pace yourself and manage your mana you can pretty consistently toss aggressive spells. Just like any other bar you have to manage it takes some time to learn.

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
Ecumenical is the basic spells and personally I like the gameplay fine. If you pace yourself and manage your mana you can pretty consistently toss aggressive spells. Just like any other bar you have to manage it takes some time to learn.
there is a pace the dps is litterally 50-50 per minute and the rest are heals, it's not hard to learn its bad in the current state, and in difficult dungeons where you'll need more damage the mage is not able to do that, the class needs some love Henrik just said on a stream that there will be Enemies that will need Magic damage to take down and the class is not in a place yet where it can deliver anything close to taking down a mob as a team effort. and we're going into Spiritism where mages have to either solo or get a group of mages to farm spirits that too will be slow and not fun unless something is done about it, therefore my suggestion and feedback

Piet

May 28, 2020
there is a pace the dps is litterally 50-50 per minute and the rest are heals, it's not hard to learn its bad in the current state, and in difficult dungeons where you'll need more damage the mage is not able to do that, the class needs some love Henrik just said on a stream that there will be Enemies that will need Magic damage to take down and the class is not in a place yet where it can deliver anything close to taking down a mob as a team effort. and we're going into Spiritism where mages have to either solo or get a group of mages to farm spirits that too will be slow and not fun unless something is done about it, therefore my suggestion and feedback
It's a support magic school. Some of the other schools are less support but they will still most of them be a group favored class. I personally throw aggressive spells constantly if no heals are needed and still never have issues so I don't think it's an issue and don't think if it was that's a good way to handle it.

Reactions: Tzone

For Sure

Jun 25, 2021
You're trippin. Mages are busted for a good reason. They completely ignore all defensive stats that armor gives. You cannot simply parry a mage. This is a terrible idea to give mages another 3 spells in their rotation.

I get it you want to see you doing 50 damage to somebody over and over. If you corrupt which costs basically no mana and a mage heals that target you just did about 15 - 33 damage depending on who healed the target. Plus, the ticking damage on that target. To further this point, you just wasted the enemy mages times loading up 2 spells if there isn't good communication (purify and another heal.)

Let's talk about problems like mounts and tames xd.

Reactions: Piet and Tzone

Hayasa

Aug 26, 2020
Is there magical backing to lower magic damage?

no?

does ogh armor lower magic damage?

no?

you can still naked mage a ogh foot fighter who forgot his bow?

yea?

well… know your roll in a fight.

Reactions: Tzone

Tzone

May 16, 2021
It's a support magic school. Some of the other schools are less support but they will still most of them be a group favored class. I personally throw aggressive spells constantly if no heals are needed and still never have issues so I don't think it's an issue and don't think if it was that's a good way to handle it.
Yeah its literally the priest school, supposed to be support oriented, and is already very good.

Reactions: Piet

Fargus

Oct 17, 2021
Forgive me I don't remember the exact number but rough estimates but...On my fully kitted out bulging sheevra FM I have about 191 mana and Fulm/mental projectile use 30 mana per cast with a return of 80-105ish damage. Right now full rotation i can blast out 6 spells before needing to sit down, good rng thats a riser kill bad rng ill need maybe 2 more spells. Player wise on the tankiest boys they are effectively out of the fight in one fulm/mental projectile combo. -10 mana cost would reduce the cast to 25 mana per but what does that accomplish? The best suggestion that I've seen in this thread is add mana regeneration to the psy stat it would make psy not a dump stat anymore or less of a one anyway and frankly while we are at it add stam regeneration to the con stat or provide a primary skill to make increase to the base regeneration. Really I would just love a complete rework of the skills system but thats a different thread.