It's beta, fix town griefing

Should Star Vault implement the change to turn off PVP in towns & introduce these timers?

• Yes, I think the 10 second rule is a good idea, but the 2min combat timer is bad!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xexorian

Apr 26, 2021
It's even deeper rooted than that. Look at how they already nerfed Earthquake. As a quick example; You can't see if your horse gets debuffed by fulminate, etc. which in general is different than MO1 where you had a better spell animation, and we need a cleaner UI with our pets status effects visible as well. We can't even see if it has magic shell without casting it on yourself when crossing nodelines it just magically dispells it which is also kind of dumb. The other problem is how fast you can reroll a mage and how cheap it is to pickup a spirit box and/or ecumenical mats. The solution I see this community providing is removing magic vendors next.. However, I think the game world is also too clustered around a few towns, we need more camps and places for players in the world which WILL come with building soon. I still think that for the longevity of the game blue towns should be protected, but not entirely. With thievery coming in later, I still think the old hidden crim mechanics should mostly remain intact, where if you had high intelligence you'd notice if you were being pilfered. The problem is that balancing this stuff also depends a lot on player activity and population because as it is we simply do not have enough creatures in the world to support a population that is say, 10 times larger, or 100 times larger after release. Much less, enough bankers to interact with if people are hanging out in the smaller towns.

That said, and taking into consideration the tavern idea, I could see the smaller town banks being safe zones in addition to the Tavern idea, (why would guards protect the inn and not the bank the town's denizens itself would also theoretically use? Also, I don't think the tindrem bank should be entirely protected as it is rather larger.

I could see the smaller town banks such as vadda, bakti, mohki, fab, even meduli, having PVP/Collision being turned off in the bank, again following that 10 second rule when u enter the bank it just disables you, with the same 2 minute flag if you'd been hit already keeping you in pvp/combat. I realize this would be a little immersion breaking standing on top of people, so if you're inside someone those people clipping you could just be rendered temporarily invisible, and popping back in when u step away from them, Maybe this would make thievery in those banks a bit more difficult but I would also suggest you could still be sneaky and still pilfer those targets even without collision, seeing as how spells are already hit scan it shouldn't be hard. So, all in all, you can interact with the bankers in these small areas with no problem in these types of areas specifically. (Thinking about population issues primarily.)

However, I can still see one problem with that, being that someone small enough may try to hide within the hitbox of another player with no collision, so the whole hitscan thing is why I brought it up. You can't hide your feet as easily, for example. It'd take a bunch of people stacking to completely block targeting one person. Though, I feel it would be relatively minor, and not as abuseable against pvp or thievery, as say dive bombing horses with 100-200 hp in the bank.

Edit: Also, they could still turn off collision/make players stacking within you invisible if they clip into you, in like a 10 foot radius of the bankers, if not just for the obvious reasons stated above, but also this would make trading someone right near the bankers easier, as guards, and peoples horses and pets bumping you cancel trades and is rather annoying as well. Solving a couple of minor problems with that situation.

Last edited:

Xexorian

Apr 26, 2021
TLDR;
1. Make small town banks PVP off (similar to the idea for Taverns), But also, turn player/pet/npc collision off when entering, with a combat timer that prevents this mechanic if you've recently hit or been hit by someone.
2. Make people standing inside your view go invisible so you can interact with the banker npc.
3. Make larger banks, using Tindrem bank as an example, only have this instead as a medium or small radius around the banker npc's themselves. Only extending out as far as the dev's think is necessary for a larger pop to make use of the bankers in these blue towns, I would also like to note that I am specifically suggesting this is rather important for new player retention.

Edit:
Drawbacks;
1. People will try to hide inside other players, considering thievery, I don't think it's a big problem as you can still target players as long as you're not ontop of them.
2. People will use this area to "Semi-AFK" level up pets passively. Maybe disable pet experience gain if they (the pet), or their Owner, is within this area.
3. If you steal something/pilfer you should still have collision off, until you leave the bank like normal, UNLESS you are caught. To maintain the spirit of thievery with these changes in mind. Which leads to 4. If you do pilfer/steal you should be a preferred target for bumping / pushing to reveal your hidden criminal status through other collision off players. This may take a bit of time figuring out how to code/creating special rules for this one scenario, as you don't want a small thief sitting inside a group of AFK players and not being reveal-able.

Last edited:

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Is this in the spirit of MO? Absolutely not. But none of the standing changes have been. MO townlife was hardcore with violence around every corner. Pets getting killed in town. Jumping the griefer and killing their ass when they arent too close to the guards, probobly running from the guards and going blue. Probobly shit talking them at the bank later lmao. Etc. You cant do any of this in MO2. Town life sucks. They cant grief you because standing. You cant get them back because you also lose standing. MO1 mc system as long as you didnt get too many could still stay blue and not have to do much about it. Meaning you could actually do stuff.

Technically speaking this change is better than the standing garbage we have now. They already took all the fun out of town life so I'd rather its just turned off at this point. Would I play the game? Most likely not. But at this point I probobly wont anyway because the games a boredom simulator compared to mo1.

The current system is transitioning to what the OP suggests. We´ll see how that works out.

Reactions: Jatix

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I don't think it is necessary to remove collisions. I think doing so would probably cause more issues than it would solve. Also it would be pretty immersion breaking.

Most places just need more banks or bankers to allow players more options for easier access.

In tindrem's main bank for example, they could make bankers accessible form all 3 areas of the counter.

As it is now they just have a banker on one side and the broker and mail man on the others.

There should be access to each from any counter so access can happen from more locations of the bank.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
One of the core tenets of Mortal Online both 1 and 2, is that nowhere is completely safe. Putting a pvp free zone anywhere, be it in town or elsewhere, has no place in the game.

There is only relative safety, and the towns are already as safe as it has ever been. You'd have to be naked and afk to be at risk of getting pk'd in town, and even then the pker(s) will more likely end up being one or two-shotted before they can kill you. If you so much as punch a lictor or another player you'll be blasted to the etherworld faster than you can throw a second one.

Act with common sense, wear armour, don't go afk without logging out (10 secs in town), park your horse away from the bank entrance, avoid the alleyways, and you will be fine.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
I hope the community realizes that getting a nice population of casual players is more important than appeasing the hardcore griefers that play all day just in the hopes of making someone mad.
The issue is when they make the game not ideal for hardcore or casual players, and everyone quits. Thats the direction the game has been going in.

Making the game carebear makes it not worth playing for all the actual MO fans. All they have done in MO2 is make the game punish people more and making it harder to get fights. But the entire point in MO, was its a rough world with conflict everywhere.

Making the game carebear is still a bad game for any normal PVE player. Maybe they stop getting griefed in town, but they will still just die when they ride out to farm. If you wanted to spend your night going and killing some mobs, why would you do it in the game you can just get killed by 10 mounteds with no chance of fighting back?

The entire point of MO, is to be hardcore. MO2 so far is turning to as less hardcore MO that takes even more time. Which just makes it a game for even less people. Its less fun for me and I can assure you, your casual friends still wont play. And still wont as they make the game less hardcore.

One of the core tenets of Mortal Online both 1 and 2, is that nowhere is completely safe. Putting a pvp free zone anywhere, be it in town or elsewhere, has no place in the game.
MO2 guards are a sad excuse for open pvp tho. Having a lictor teleport to you and 1 shot is complete garbage and has no place in MO.

Last edited:

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
Since my playstyle does not normally lead to guards coming after me, I have no idea how the current guards are working.

However, I think I remember Henrik saying that a family member of Marcus (or what ever his name was) is supposed to be wandering the city again.

If this is a hint that players will have to murder this person again, then the town by design will have to allow murder.

It may just come down to having to choose the correct time and place to do so without alerting guards. Both with this NPC and other players.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
The problem is that towns werent safe. Its that those players had egos and never listened to people who try to help them by telling them to go put their horse away. All towns are the hood, you dont just leave your stuff laying about in the hood and expect to keep it. You will get mugged.

Like you AFK and cry about it thats your fault and those players will quit the game sooner or later anyway. They will leave town and call PvP griefing and then cry about that and quit.

You got 10 sec log off timers in Cities why are you AFK? You can kill a pig and have 50s why are you not stabling your horse? Like problems to greifing exist already why make the PvP that happens outside the towns suffer. Lictors are teleportation outside walls, into sewers, and are totally unrealistic.

There are more guards then people in most towns and will run all the way to fab grave yard. Not supposed to be killing guards but you arent supposed to kill anyone even the emperor but you will be able to kill the head NPC.

Assassination and thievery will be a thing but you have all knowing guards so whats the point.

Some good guard changes like having elites at the bank, but most changes have not done anything to stop griefing and only negatively affected the experience of the players.

For Sure

Jun 25, 2021
The only current pvp of towns is mage nuking somebody with a nice gear set on. Whose the king of it? Lets ask some of the horse killers. If you all wanted pvp you could easily go to gk and get it xd. Yet, nobody here is a real banger talking about they're okay with a grief mechanic.

Hayasa

Aug 26, 2020
The only current pvp of towns is mage nuking somebody with a nice gear set on. Whose the king of it? Lets ask some of the horse killers. If you all wanted pvp you could easily go to gk and get it xd. Yet, nobody here is a real banger talking about they're okay with a grief mechanic.
I heard GK is a 3 day RP trip. Killing Horses and AFK people is much more profitable, and builds up your reputation more within the community.

I used to run into town, Red, and fight inside the Guard Zone, Kill at the bank, and run out of town. It was a thrill coming out alive. There was one time I did die cuz of guards, but I only lost one piece of armour cuz a buddy looted the Ogh set.

Also, killing inside town, helps you to understand what to avoid. I would teach people how to be grief proof inside towns extracting. You needed a system. I lost my fair share of materials, and I started killing extractors. Eventually I didn’t kill anyone extracting, because I did a +/- system. I would count what I lost, and once I have killed enough to get into the +, I would stop killing people and do my own extracting.

I don’t know what the current Guild and War Mechanics are, it will be quite the learning curve for me once the game is launched officially. All I heard is they already made it extremely difficult to live the murder life style. And with only one character per account… that disrupts the system of a blue character supporting a red. Maybe there will be a black market trade going on, who knows… I also hope RP goes well in this game when the population is sizeable.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I heard GK is a 3 day RP trip. Killing Horses and AFK people is much more profitable, and builds up your reputation more within the community.

GK is like maybe a hours at most if you ghost from medudu, and this is with out using nearist priest teleport.
If you get on hours its about a hour and a half maybe 2. From fab its like 40 mins on horse because mountains in the way.

Ragemeister

Jul 19, 2021
Might as well make towns safezones with the way they are right now tbh.

Just have one guy kill a player, one guy grabs the blue players loot and goes grey, then the last guy picks up the loot from their grey friend and boom they just stole your shit by using horrible game mechanics against you and you have to walk back to town and just live with them cause the guards forget they just watched someone murder you 60 seconds ago.

The guards do nothing but deter solo players and encourage group griefing

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Yeah its like fake depth in the game. Oh you are never safe not even in towns. But that want you to be safe in towns, but they also want people to kill you in towns.

They allow you to kill gurds but henrik said you are not meant to kill guards.

Weird logic. Might as well make towns safe zones at least then guards wont leash all the way to graveyards and interrupt fights. Outside walls.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Might as well make towns safezones with the way they are right now tbh.
Weird logic. Might as well make towns safe zones at least then guards wont leash all the way to graveyards and interrupt fights. Outside walls.
If they wanted to make towns safe, they could just make combat there impossible (the way Shadowbane did, for the few NPC cities it had)— then there wouldn't have to be guards there at all. No guards anywhere, in fact, unless you were able to hire them for a place you built.

SV seems to me like it wants you to find out for yourselves if it's worth it to kill guards, or try to.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
If they wanted to make towns safe, they could just make combat there impossible (the way Shadowbane did, for the few NPC cities it had)— then there wouldn't have to be guards there at all. No guards anywhere, in fact, unless you were able to hire them for a place you built.

SV seems to me like it wants you to find out for yourselves if it's worth it to kill guards, or try to.
They wanted it to seem like there was more to the game then there actually is. Like with crafting all these possibilities but only one to two options per category.