Inventory/Bank idea

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
A small point, but remember that your banks, are actually part of your paperdoll/charfile already, and just hidden until un-hidden by interacting with a banker. There's really nothing to add; just stop hiding it 99% of the time. But like I said, a small point.

Vagrant

Oct 8, 2020
no fixed address
I don't like it.

It could be because I enjoy having to use my brain in games, and having the game do everything for me feels like i'm being treated like a baby.

I also enjoy going to remote banks after many years and finding out I have stuff there, it triggers memories of the last time I used it.

In general I am against things like this though.

100%

Reactions: Skydancer

PatWins

May 28, 2020
imo at first glance it sounds like a "good" idea but its part of the brain training game. either use your brain or take effort make screenshots.
i love the lack of auto mechanics so you need to be involved with all your body parts. its like sugar, its tasty the moment you consume but it makes you fat over the long run.
Agreed, I liked the idea at first but realized how these types of things can cause long term damage.

Reactions: Valoran and Vagrant

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
one thing I'm afraid is that every little change to the bank interface potentially opens up for bugs and even duping exploits, even if just a non-interactive window. right now the bank window already can cause visual duping of items (you see 2 icons of a certain stack in your backpack, but only one exists for real).

as other mentioned, this feels a lot of coding for a very minor thing to have in game, with so many other core features still to be added. maybe in few years as an extra polish to the game...

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
as other mentioned, this feels a lot of coding for a very minor thing to have in game, with so many other core features still to be added. maybe in few years as an extra polish to the game...
actually, one of the benefits is that's almost no coding at all, as the data is already there, part of your charfile, just hidden until un-hidden by using a banker. There are no "banks", it's a part of your char, like skills, attributes, etc, just invisible.

Zyloth

Nov 24, 2020
Pole this idea. Not on paperdoll imo, just be accessible at banks only. I like

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
As I said, there is plenty of data to manage in this game already so if they ever have time to get around to doing something like this they should. However, in the meantime here's something I whipped up and made publicly downloadable:

Bank Management Spreadsheet

It's an incredibly basic spreadsheet but you might find that useful if you don't usually build spreadsheets. I added a second tab at the bottom that's the same sheet accept it has a "Type" column. That way if you want to you can label your items by category and sort by that instead of alphabetically by item name. If you don't think you would use such a feature the first tab is better since it's a bit more condensed. You can just delete the tab you don't want after you download it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zyloth and Vagrant

Vagrant

Oct 8, 2020
no fixed address
As I said, there is plenty of data to manage in this game already so if they ever have time to get around to doing something like this they should. However, in the meantime here's something I whipped up and made publicly downloadable:

Bank Management Spreadsheet

It's an incredibly basic spreadsheet but you might find that useful if you don't usually build spreadsheets. I added a second tab at the bottom that's the same sheet accept it has a "Type" column. That way if you want to you can label your items by category and sort by that instead of alphabetically by item name. If you don't think you would use such a feature the first tab is better since it's a bit more condensed.

sweet sheet ! - spreadsheets aren't my forte so thanks,
pretty much every bank in MO, including Sarducca, is full of every/any tameable critter of ye olde Nave so I might go back in and make it a mission to catalogue those before it vanishes at least, I'll find it oddly enjoyable to have a reason to personally attend to every bank in Nave and have great memories of what, where, how and when :)

such tools outside of the game are great, but however simple it may be to enable, i find the lack of connected bank accounts just adds rather than subtracts from the hardcore sandbox feel.

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
why can't I add a dropdown menu in the bank? You approach the broker, click the assets tab and a full list of your resources in the game world will drop out. You can only take what is specifically in this location. if you need to take other resources, you go to the location indicated in the list. This function is necessary in a game with a bunch of brokers.

Skydancer

May 28, 2020
Character/Inventory screen: No
Bankers being able to catalog the contents of other banks: Perhaps

The old trade brokers already used the locality concept to show what's in other markets and this would be similar principles.

I'm in the No camp overall though because asset management is the personal responsibility of the character - unaffiliated banks don't really owe you any kind of record keeping service, especially since we pay zero banking fees. brokers on the other hand have a vested financial interest in people finding what they want, or placing goods for sale that they can see there is a gap in the market for.

It's these little mundane things that will help get people circulating, taking risks, making choices. Do I have x in Vadda? Am I confident enough that I do have x that I should take the time and risk to travel there?

I know I've had times where I was certain I had particular gear or resources in a town only to get there and be very disappointed, but that's all part of the fun! This should also be less of an issue with a single char game.

make spreadsheets, screenshots, commit things to memory or even the unthinkable; travel to a bank to check what you deposited there. Call me a hardcore bank patron but I would even be open to NPC banks charging holding fees for items, taking a 6 month hiatus and coming back to the game to find the bank defaulted me due to lack of payment and put all my crap on the trade broker to cover their costs. The people of Nave shouldn't put their livelihoods on hold because I got tired of living there!

Reactions: Vagrant and you

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Although a great QoL change, I feel it makes the job of a hacker easier to empty your account.

In MO I only ever lost the stuff I had on me and in the bank closest to where I logged out to hackers. Luckily the actual bank of my valuables was far away and not touched.

So instead of losing 50k+ gold I only ever lost like 500-1k gold to hackers due to them not having the ability to see where the valuables are and not I guess having the time to travel to all banks in order to find all the stuff.

Reactions: Vagrant

Vagrant

Oct 8, 2020
no fixed address
Although a great QoL change, I feel it makes the job of a hacker easier to empty your account.

In MO I only ever lost the stuff I had on me and in the bank closest to where I logged out to hackers. Luckily the actual bank of my valuables was far away and not touched.

So instead of losing 50k+ gold I only ever lost like 500-1k gold to hackers due to them not having the ability to see where the valuables are and not I guess having the time to travel to all banks in order to find all the stuff.

wow i had no idea that was a thing - maybe because i never really had any gold :unsure:

and @Skydancer I totally agree there, well put

Keurk

May 28, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
imo at first glance it sounds like a "good" idea but its part of the brain training game. either use your brain or take effort make screenshots.
i love the lack of auto mechanics so you need to be involved with all your body parts. its like sugar, its tasty the moment you consume but it makes you fat over the long run.
this
it would be too easy with a tab showing all the bank. It is up to organisation, and skilled people in this have to be rewarded.
Now, having an INGAME diary where you can actually have tools to write notes and actually keep track of suchs things, instead of a notepad or googlesheet, is way more immersive and fit in the game. I sincerly wish the add a trully and complete sandbox way of editing books, sheets etc.
Ofc ,your diary should be dropable on death, so you have to keep it in a safe place.

Reactions: you

you

Nov 30, 2020
this
it would be too easy with a tab showing all the bank. It is up to organisation, and skilled people in this have to be rewarded.
Now, having an INGAME diary where you can actually have tools to write notes and actually keep track of suchs things, instead of a notepad or googlesheet, is way more immersive and fit in the game. I sincerly wish the add a trully and complete sandbox way of editing books, sheets etc.
Ofc ,your diary should be dropable on death, so you have to keep it in a safe place.
I really wish it would be this simple.
Ideas like these would make the greatest game of all time imo, but sadly reality strikes and information will never stay solely in the game, whether it's data of loot, or tactical information shared over voice coms in 3rd party programs.
But shoutout to those who try to make it this way, despite the disadvantage it puts them in.

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
I really wish it would be this simple.
Ideas like these would make the greatest game of all time imo, but sadly reality strikes and information will never stay solely in the game, whether it's data of loot, or tactical information shared over voice coms in 3rd party programs.
But shoutout to those who try to make it this way, despite the disadvantage it puts them in.
Well, there were already player-made books in-game, and there was a thread talking about player-made in-game maps/cartography skill, so it could be done, but since it's inferior to even just doing screenshots, I'm not sure how much traction it would get. If an asset system like Eve isn't implemented, I'm sticking with Screenshots/Windows Preview. Can't loot my screenshot.

But I'm glad to hear what people had to say on the subject.