Inventory/Bank idea

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
I don't know if this has come up yet, but one of the things about MO1 that always annoyed me was trying to keep track of what I had, in which bank, where, etc. To be clear, I like the "no universal bank" idea, it's more realistic this way. So I was thinking, it would be nice if our paperdoll, or inventory window, had tabs for the different banks we had stuff in. That way we wouldn't have to keep RL records ourselves. I mean, technically, your bank slots are part of your character file already (just hidden until at a bank), so why not show all the time? It would really make a logistically annoying thing into easy and simple, on a technical/code level it's almost a nothing, since already part of your charfile, and I don't see how it could mess up gameplay or balance or anything. What do y'all think?

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
imo at first glance it sounds like a "good" idea but its part of the brain training game. either use your brain or take effort make screenshots.
i love the lack of auto mechanics so you need to be involved with all your body parts. its like sugar, its tasty the moment you consume but it makes you fat over the long run.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020
It's a reasonable addition to the game imo. Otherwise people are just going to take screenshots of their banks anyways, there's no real stopping people from having a quick photo reference. It's a few seconds of momentary inconvenience or less if you just put them on your phone or have them open on a second screen. The bigger issue imo is the tiny bank space, but supposedly there will be bags that you can store things inside of inside of the bank.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
It's a reasonable addition to the game imo. Otherwise people are just going to take screenshots of their banks anyways, there's no real stopping people from having a quick photo reference. It's a few seconds of momentary inconvenience or less if you just put them on your phone or have them open on a second screen. The bigger issue imo is the tiny bank space, but supposedly there will be bags that you can store things inside of inside of the bank.
and this is sadly the reason why this feature makes sense even its not healthy for the game but as soon as people come to the screenshot idea they will suffer...

Dec 10, 2020
and this is sadly the reason why this feature makes sense even its not healthy for the game but as soon as people come to the screenshot idea they will suffer...
Pretty much. Like I get the point of not providing it so people have to remember, it's the same reason I don't keep grocery lists, but yeah...

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
Difficult to implement because you will get 20 or 50 or even more banks over time with stuff inside. There are the city banks in Myrland, but with another continent we get more city banks like Sarducaa in MO1. And there are player built banks all over the world. Over the years you will change your location several times, and you will throw stuff into player built banks all over the world.

Reactions: Eldrath

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
Difficult to implement because you will get 20 or 50 or even more banks over time with stuff inside. There are the city banks in Myrland, but with another continent we get more city banks like Sarducaa in MO1. And there are player built banks all over the world. Over the years you will change your location several times, and you will throw stuff into player built banks all over the world.
you can make a drop down list sorted by X/Y coordinations.

Valoran

May 28, 2020
I don't like it.

It could be because I enjoy having to use my brain in games, and having the game do everything for me feels like i'm being treated like a baby.

I also enjoy going to remote banks after many years and finding out I have stuff there, it triggers memories of the last time I used it.

In general I am against things like this though.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
I don't like it.

It could be because I enjoy having to use my brain in games, and having the game do everything for me feels like i'm being treated like a baby.

I also enjoy going to remote banks after many years and finding out I have stuff there, it triggers memories of the last time I used it.

In general I am against things like this though.

yes and so many activity from people just checking their banks. its a big part of the MO magic and even screenshots are tons of work if you want to track the stats or your potions, armor, mounts... and you feel more connected with your location... its a very two edged sword.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
So basically an EVE Assets system. You still have to go to the station those assets are on to access them, but you can see all your assets anywhere in the universe.

Yeah, this seems like a good idea. While I can build spreadsheets to achieve the same result not having to tab over to edit a spreadsheet every time I bank or stable something seems pretty nice.

Reactions: Svaar

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Microsoft Excel? :D

Probably my favorite part about this game so far is the detail. I have 8 spreadsheets for this game, some of them getting up into the 5-7 tab range, many of those tabs filled with multiple pages of information, and those tab and sheet numbers are growing daily. I'm glad to make those sheets because their reason for existing is the inherent complexity of this game. If this was Runescape where the recipes on to say, getting the metal you want to forge, were so simple even a child can commit them all to memory then my spreadsheets would be unnecessary. These spreadsheets need to exist because of mechanics that increase my fun, and I even find the creation and management of them to be fun in itself.

So can I make a spreadsheet for bank management? Yes. Yes, I sure can. That's child's play compared to some of the things I have already made. Will it negate the need to stop and record every bank transaction you make manually? No. Each person I give the spreadsheet to will still have to manually update it every time they bank or withdraw anything to keep the information current.

So the question is, does manually recording the information every single time you do any transaction regarding a bank increase people's fun and add another layer of depth to gameplay? Or is it kind of just tedium for the sake of tedium and kill time people could otherwise spend doing more interesting things?

When I go to the bank IRL they hand me a receipt that shows my updated account balance. Fairly sure that's how medieval banking worked too. I'm fine with letting the game handle this particular little thing. I'll make a spreadsheet template to handle it until they have time to program a mechanic in and I do see this as a very low priority request. But we shouldn't advocate for removing tedium for the sake of making the game more hardcore. There are plenty of other spreadsheets to be made and managed.

Reactions: Grasthard

sigrace

Dec 10, 2020
Yeah. This seems like a nice quality of life thing. I want to be busy with taming beasts, running away from RPKers, and getting killed by RPKers. Having a journal or list that automatically updates with what I put in a bank or animals I've brought in would be nice.

you

Nov 30, 2020
this is a hot take, but have all the people wanting quality of life things for mortal considered trying the big AAA meta MMORPGs? it seems more up their alley.

sigrace

Dec 10, 2020
this is a hot take, but have all the people wanting quality of life things for mortal considered trying the big AAA meta MMORPGs? it seems more up their alley.

In the context of this forum post, this seems like a rather small thing to add. If SV don't add a way to view banks in a journal system in game, I'll likely do the screen cap thing. Just something to keep me in the game, rather than having to tab out to save a file or grab a notebook to write something down.

you

Nov 30, 2020
In the context of this forum post, this seems like a rather small thing to add. If SV don't add a way to view banks in a journal system in game, I'll likely do the screen cap thing. Just something to keep me in the game, rather than having to tab out to save a file or grab a notebook to write something down.
It's stuff like this that keeps the game authentic tho, the lack of control u have, the need to remember or log shit that happens.
Like mentioned above, a lot of people come to the game wanting to have to do this kind of management, and using their brains.
+ if u had full overview over everything from the database, there is no room for mistakes, and mistakes are a fairly crucial part to a game like this one, as mistakes puts u in situations u otherwise wouldn't be put it.

There are other games that will do the QOL item management simulation perfectly, but i doubt this one will do it for ya.

Reactions: Skydancer

Jybwee

May 28, 2020

I didn't even think about it until you said, but ABSOLUTELY this!

Happened more than a few times in MO1 for me. Old events in Meduli. Days of yore in Tindrem. My first exploration of Sarducca laying in a chest in Pash. Memories waiting to happen.

sigrace

Dec 10, 2020
It's stuff like this that keeps the game authentic tho, the lack of control u have, the need to remember or log shit that happens.
Like mentioned above, a lot of people come to the game wanting to have to do this kind of management, and using their brains.
+ if u had full overview over everything from the database, there is no room for mistakes, and mistakes are a fairly crucial part to a game like this one, as mistakes puts u in situations u otherwise wouldn't be put it.

There are other games that will do the QOL item management simulation perfectly, but i doubt this one will do it for ya.

I can respect that notion. Mistakes make content and putting systems that allow for mistakes to happen helps facilitate that. But with or without a banking journal, people are going to screw up. EvE has a robust banking system, and still people end up losing track of things. Either way, if something like this is added, cool. If it isn't, cool. It's not a game changer for me.