If Mortal Online 2 Purports to Be a Serious Competitive Game:

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
They should be doing minor balance tweaks every time they take the server down. Every 2 weeks or whatever, cmon, even BDO does that.

C'mon SV. Multi-task. I love ya. You can do it. I believe. I support your game, now make it good.

What could we try tweaking? Ohhh:

Arrow damage to armor
swing speed
tower shields
overall armor
mana regen

Gotta be like 100 things, FR FR.

Reactions: Jatix

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
Hah, they are incapable of quick changes since the way they work is just building a MVP of a feature and calling it a day.

You will see for yourself with elementalism. First they will give us 20 spells and then, in a few years maybe, the other 50.

CherryKush

Jan 25, 2022
Player built cities need to have the ability to set a vendor tax (just like player stations in EVE) that goes back to the city owner/s. Better tax rates incentivize players to use your vendors and it also incentivizes PVP as guilds fight over hot spot locations to collect their piece of the tax pie. Something small like this would be HUGE to give PVP and sieging meaningful purpose because money would be at stake.

I did a write up about this in the feedback section last month.

Contorto

Feb 18, 2022
This will never be a competitive game since they dont have regional servers.
This is why I never give a shit about 1v1, the few times I lose fights because people hit me through my blocks just wow great ping normalization right there love that ping normalization.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
This is why I never give a shit about 1v1, the few times I lose fights because people hit me through my blocks just wow great ping normalization right there love that ping normalization.

It will never be 'fair,' or 'equal,' but there has to be a way to level things more.

Pretty sure we're not gonna ever get regional servers, tho. I never wanna see blood when someone parrys again, tho.

They've fixed all of this stuff, but they left melee. Admittedly, it's harder, but it's possible. I know it's possible. More dmg, more speed, more fighting, more death... the idea of (saying this again, I know) making MO a surgically precise duel contest is pretty luls considering the ping differences and other hard/software issues.

I really think if they opened it up just like BLOODBATH level, it would be better. haha. Sure, wild stuff would happen, but people would adapt. I dunno if it'd only be EU people. I could see getting hit a few times off desync, but I can't imagine getting killed by it. But that's assuming a more group situation. Still, I'd rather fight high dmg, sweaty palms than 2 sec swing charge instaparry.

I really feel if they tried taking off the free charged hit you got with parry and sped up combat a little, it might turn out pretty nice.

Edit: if anyone wants to take up the side of "why we need parry to still give a free charged hit" let me know! That's some 2013 stuff to me. Magical burst of energy when you get a perfect block? OK in MO1, but... in this game, I dunno.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
Pure balance will never exist. I don't think the devs really intend there to be balance. I think they just want cool things, like summoning tornados, controlling powerful pets, dragon magic in the future, running full speed is full steel/oghmium, etc.

I do think there is more "balance" in this game than in MO1 however, which isn't saying much but hey.

A lot of people dislike rock/paper/scissors balancing, but I think its pretty much inevitable in a game with so many roles. And I think thats fine. Certain roles/builds should be stronger than others at a certain thing if someone builds for X or Y. Having said that, the build diversity seems quite low for a game with attribute allocation, clade abilities, races, and 100s of weapon/armor material combinations.

There will forever be a meta in games of course, but they have the ability to make dozens of viable builds in the game if they revisit attribute weights/purposes and make the obvious bad clades not be bad. I've said it many times, but their attribute bonuses are lazy and boring.

The best archers should prio dex and you can't change my mind about that.

Dex is such a fuckin boring attribute in this game. Its a stat EVERYONE maxes out because its your stamina and speed (and ws chance lel). The literal only build that doesn't put as many of their free points in dexterity they can is a wheelchair build. Why even have it exist if the points are spent before we even make our build? Its just boring and lazy. I'd prefer our movement speed just be linked to our clade, make dexterity do something else such as ranged damage/cast speed/weakspot chance/parry cost/stam regen/etc. Obviously not all of those, just a few random examples and of course max points would have to be adjusted.

tl;dr is pure balance won't exist and thats okay as long as there is build diversity. Attribute bonuses are boring . There is lots of potential for many viable builds if we could revisit attributes, armor weight penalties/bonuses, and weapons. Henrik asks what we would like next. That would be my vote. Nothing new added until we expand on "balance".

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I *dis*agree. The balance I want is not what you think I am asking for. I mean there is always the counter of "make every wep swing the same do the same dmg, have same reach... that's balance!" That's not what I mean, I mean consistently working. Even in sports (gah another sports analogy!) they look at how the game is going and adjust the rules as necessary. Not in the middle of the season, but with video games, it's different. There are a lot of things they could balance right now.

However, I like the ideas. I don't like the ideas, but I like that there are ideas! I think the core of the game is OK. You should not be able to min dex or min str honestly. In mo1, and one of the underrated bonuses of fatmage is the +20kg, you could barely get your regs. The spread of attributes is not as fluid as, say, a game like NBA 2k. Check this out as an example of balance tho. (This is gonna go OT a little.) In 2k they used to have archetype based builds, and within that you could slightly alter your stats, so think about like MO, and as a certain archetype you would only be able to get max 70 aggressive stance, wep, whatever, yknow? Then they opened it up completely free so you could max whatever. It got more expensive at the top, so it was dummin to be like 99 99 99, but certain stats just like certain stats in MO are breakpoints (there should be more required break points for skills imo.)

What they ended up doing to keep people from making cheez fest builds is... your attribute caps are influenced by your size/weight ( think race, I guess, in MO,) but there are also attributes that are tied to each other. So like if you want to get 90 in shooting outside, you can't completely dump your inside shooting or your free throw. Once you go under a certain point, it starts decreasing the attribute you wanted. The second thing they did is they have 'badges' which are like gifts, kind of, except they have different 'levels' like trinkets. So there are four levels of a badge.

They 'balanced' this by making it so that they changed the system to 'points,' and there are 3 tiers, tier 1, 1-4 pts per badge, tier 2, 3-6 points per badge, and tier 3, 5-8. And you have to take 10 points of t1 and t2 badges before you can unlock t3. They kinda let you get over that at the end, by allowing you to 'core' or get a free badge once you use it enough, so you can get a t3 8 point badge for free, ideally.

That's a very smart change that, while it didn't change the way the game plays or the overall meta (meta will always be somewhat similar, imo,) it cut down really hard on super cheez builds.

But yea, it's never gonna be EQUAL, and nothing will, but balance to me is more as you said, diversity. I don't mind getting hard countered, either.

I'm talking about editing things like they have been. The horse speed change, which I disagree with... unless they make another one... was the kind of balance change I mean, KD change, lance change, proper EQ, swing speed, foot speed... etc etc etc. All of those are the kind of changes I'm talking about that could be done in a short while. Adjusting dmg, adjusting str reqs (for 2h mounted esp :p) ... like I said I listed a bunch of crap that could be changed. The movement and change is important.

And even if it's just 'good looking' meme game, it can still be balanced. I honestly don't know if I feel MO2 is more balanced than MO1 or not. Talkin' way back before TC. DKs or Maul MC... un-killable bulls. That shit was crazy, but it drove the world. Pre nerf Lyks lol. OP shit isn't necessarily wrong, either. If anything, it just seems like they slowed the overall game down and made it less intense on every level.

I'm not talking about "I just got dunked by plz nerf" balance, but I mean making the game play better. This is still testing time. They could do it.

Reactions: Gorr

Xronim

Aug 13, 2020
Pure balance will never exist. I don't think the devs really intend there to be balance. I think they just want cool things, like summoning tornados, controlling powerful pets, dragon magic in the future, running full speed is full steel/oghmium, etc.

I do think there is more "balance" in this game than in MO1 however, which isn't saying much but hey.

A lot of people dislike rock/paper/scissors balancing, but I think its pretty much inevitable in a game with so many roles. And I think thats fine. Certain roles/builds should be stronger than others at a certain thing if someone builds for X or Y. Having said that, the build diversity seems quite low for a game with attribute allocation, clade abilities, races, and 100s of weapon/armor material combinations.

There will forever be a meta in games of course, but they have the ability to make dozens of viable builds in the game if they revisit attribute weights/purposes and make the obvious bad clades not be bad. I've said it many times, but their attribute bonuses are lazy and boring.

The best archers should prio dex and you can't change my mind about that.

Dex is such a fuckin boring attribute in this game. Its a stat EVERYONE maxes out because its your stamina and speed (and ws chance lel). The literal only build that doesn't put as many of their free points in dexterity they can is a wheelchair build. Why even have it exist if the points are spent before we even make our build? Its just boring and lazy. I'd prefer our movement speed just be linked to our clade, make dexterity do something else such as ranged damage/cast speed/weakspot chance/parry cost/stam regen/etc. Obviously not all of those, just a few random examples and of course max points would have to be adjusted.

tl;dr is pure balance won't exist and thats okay as long as there is build diversity. Attribute bonuses are boring . There is lots of potential for many viable builds if we could revisit attributes, armor weight penalties/bonuses, and weapons. Henrik asks what we would like next. That would be my vote. Nothing new added until we expand on "balance".
So much this, most ancestry mixes are straight up pointless to play because of attributes, as well as dex/con always being mandatory to max.
It feels like theres no variety in weaponcrafting because some parts are just straight up always better (heavy great, double kall, most risar 1h) with no real tradeoffs compared to the other parts.

Reactions: grilo and Gorr

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
So much this, most ancestry mixes are straight up pointless to play because of attributes, as well as dex/con always being mandatory to max.
It feels like theres no variety in weaponcrafting because some parts are just straight up always better (heavy great, double kall, most risar 1h) with no real tradeoffs compared to the other parts.
Well weapon weight used to matter a lot more remember? Some crafters would spend 100 primary points into Textile Lore just to get turn their 2.13kg steel sword into 2.11kg or whatever it was. But yeah I agree, weapon balance right now just feels shitty.

Reactions: Teknique

Xronim

Aug 13, 2020
Well weapon weight used to matter a lot more remember? Some crafters would spend 100 primary points into Textile Lore just to get turn their 2.13kg steel sword into 2.11kg or whatever it was. But yeah I agree, weapon balance right now just feels shitty.
yeah the good old days of mo1 weaponcrafting with spongewood/cotton handles lol, now it feels like weight only matters on weapons at certain thresholds (cuprum heavy greatblade has speed loss, steel doesnt) etc.

Reactions: Teknique

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
Oh well. I don't plan to pick up another melee weapon in the game when I come back. Its dogshit. Just gonna be a mage throwin fireballs and shit.

Reactions: ElPerro and Xronim

Xronim

Aug 13, 2020
especially considering how hard it is getting around the instant parrys without outnumbering people lmao

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021

it didn't matter, it was a seller trick, but it was cool to do. Cool also to put in stupid heavy poles, but try some spw poles like old skool and see how much weight is lost and how much swing speed you get. THEN enjoy your 60 dura wep. :) Still worth it imo with a slow ass game.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
it didn't matter, it was a seller trick, but it was cool to do. Cool also to put in stupid heavy poles, but try some spw poles like old skool and see how much weight is lost and how much swing speed you get. THEN enjoy your 60 dura wep. :) Still worth it imo with a slow ass game.
Weight did matter. Thats why cronite was so good. It was a very noticeable speed and stamina drain difference. Unless you're referring to using silk on the hilt to drop the weight .02kg then yeah it didn't matter. I just brought that up to note the difference between MO1 and MO2.

I haven't played in nearly a year, so I didn't use cronite. Someone who has could probably shine some light on its value vs MO1.

As for armor weight, it usually goes like this -

"Hey man can you make me some armor?"
"Sure whats your max armor weight?"

Thats it. Thats the build diversity when it comes to armor/weapons.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Weight did matter. Thats why cronite was so good. It was a very noticeable speed and stamina drain difference. Unless you're referring to using silk on the hilt to drop the weight .02kg then yeah it didn't matter. I just brought that up to note the difference between MO1 and MO2.

I haven't played in nearly a year, so I didn't use cronite. Someone who has could probably shine some light on its value vs MO1.

As for armor weight, it usually goes like this -

"Hey man can you make me some armor?"
"Sure whats your max armor weight?"

Thats it. Thats the build diversity when it comes to armor/weapons.
I've been talking about this for a hot minute. The weapon weights are so ridiculous. There's actually 0 reason not to use a 2h axe or something in combat right now.

Glad there's still some sense left in this world

1679340588826.png

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I've been talking about this for a hot minute. The weapon weights are so ridiculous. There's actually 0 reason not to use a 2h axe or something in combat right now.

Glad there's still some sense left in this world

View attachment 5711

I don't got any thurs, highest str char is a Khurite 26. 2h axe of stone isn't bad. I don't think I can rock a proper 2h steel axe, or I could make a better axe of lesser weight out of stone like Nyx. Yaboy ain't got no cron or nuthin. Never had cron.

1.7 is actually a good wep wt also IMO. I was fuckin w/ katana poles lool. I still remm trolling Hayasa around GY in Bakti and fought him for like 15 min but my wep was too heavy to get a kill as we were both veelas. At that point, I decided that heavy weps are not worth it, often. I remember oykd was like... u using axe, axe too easy to parry, and it's like word. :eek: You can do some wild shit plus the range is good.

I'm trying to tell doods about lite weps, but I understand it sucks hitting people for like 15-20, but having infinite stam is just better? There are roles, sure, but as long as your reach and swing game is right, I really think light weps are better. If I ever had big CRON I'd be making Cron/spw weps and they would be nuts with semi-decent dura.

It mite be more of the game, dmg mitigation, MR, I mean as I said before if you watch vids you see people doing fewer Gheals than they did in MO1. By a lot imo. It was just more cutthroat, people's health would be spiking and it's like SAVE or you watch your hands fizzle as the person drops haha (I'm a bad mage :p at least at aiming.)

that being said, just sharing a PoV. I don't pvp as much as you guys, but I def prefer light weps for moving around. I don't wanna go over 2 if I don't have to. HGB is ridic heavy to me and, again as said, swings like spatula.

HOWEVER! We did just get a major balance patch. Completely uprooted the game. The problems I have are due to the fact it seems like they are going harder on Magic than Melee in a way that makes me wonder if they will address melee. It's still... balancing, or them trying, so it's not on deaf ears. Jotuns riding at almost 900 spur'd w/ armor on, luuul at the rest of gm.

Mite be back, dono, kiddos. This patch (even tho I asked for balancing) really shocked me from a fundamental PoV. They did A LOT in one patch. Not really scientific, but the "ddos" thing is gonna be the seal.

I was finally getting over the trash melee and was thinking about just doing it regardless, learning or w/e. Not learning meta but learning at least to be better than average in duels. Exit lag is nice, etc etc. THEN they entered DDOS land and cannot say when it will be fixed. De ETERNAL DDOS.

Reg GB still swings nice imo, too, some liter axes swing nice (Nyx axe <3 <3 <3.) Something you can sticky an urial with is a good swing wep, that means you can hit them and cross hit them again for mercy. loool the diff between GK life and Hyllspea I guess :eek:

PEACE.