How to fix the Pet problem?

Gladiator

Apr 26, 2022
I have a suggestion.
So, the issue with pets, right now, for the most part, in small scale PVP, is the numbers.
There is basically nothing you can do when, against you, there is a mage, who has 3 direwolves. You simply die. 4 entities deal damage to you at the same time as you deal damage only once.

But hear me out. The issue is that Mellee builds don't have AOE.
Now imagine this scenario. You're a thursar with a 2H Axe, a guy puts 3 wolves on you, you do a Cleave ability or attack or whatever, dealing damage to all 3 of them at the same time, and stunning them. Is that mage going to employ the same strategy as of today? One click murder you? No. He is going to think before acting. Just like he should.

Mages have AoE. Melles should too. It should be an AoE around them, of course, but an AoE nontheless.

What's your thoughts?

fartbox

Apr 29, 2023
Abilities are good, they lower the skill ceiling and appeal to many players. I could see a cleave or an ability like vampiric strike (healing on hit) being good for the game. These abilities should have long animations though and be focused on their utility in PVE/Pet counters.

The only problem I see is that Mages are only viable in 1v1s IF they have pets(walkers/or traditional pets). Right now, only under the most extreme circumstances can a mage 1v1 a foot fighter without pets. I'm talking a skeletal mage, in an completely open field devoid of any housing VS a slow thursar or a circumstance where they have elevated terrain and can get a very good head start on the foot fighter. It's very rare to see a mage win a 1v1 against a footfighter when they do not have pets. You should be able to agree with me here.

So we need to find a way to make mages viable in 1v1s without pets if we're going to neuter the pets with melee abilities like cleaves and vamp strike. Keeping alternate playstyles relevant is important or the game becomes stagnant.

manure

May 7, 2022
Im
I have a suggestion.
So, the issue with pets, right now, for the most part, in small scale PVP, is the numbers.
There is basically nothing you can do when, against you, there is a mage, who has 3 direwolves. You simply die. 4 entities deal damage to you at the same time as you deal damage only once.

But hear me out. The issue is that Mellee builds don't have AOE.
Now imagine this scenario. You're a thursar with a 2H Axe, a guy puts 3 wolves on you, you do a Cleave ability or attack or whatever, dealing damage to all 3 of them at the same time, and stunning them. Is that mage going to employ the same strategy as of today? One click murder you? No. He is going to think before acting. Just like he should.

Mages have AoE. Melles should too. It should be an AoE around them, of course, but an AoE nontheless.

What's your thoughts?
Im a pure mage... and trust me, theres no time to cast any AoE spells when there is a pet attacking you.
If you re a mage and theres a pet on you, its a goodbye. There is NOTHING you can do to survive, except if theres a lake so that u can jump on it.

The solution is to put STAMINA on pets so that they get tired after chasing for a while...
And the tamer should only be able to command pets if they were dismounted !

With these two simple changes, you balance pet pvp.
Easy fix

Piet

May 28, 2020
Who knows because that would massively change how combat works. IMO it be better to just fix the beastmastery skills and make them almost all of the damage with pets. Then it's at least active and the pets would feel more unique too.

manure

May 7, 2022
That could work as well... although I still aim at the STAMINA solution...
If the pets didnt have infinite stamina, it would be a little bit more balanced.

One thing is certain : Something must be done to pets pvp, because the way it is now is clearly badly designed and unbalanced

Reactions: Piet