How does armor actually work?

Camarro DaMortas

Jan 1, 2022
Norfolk, UK
This seems like a newb question, but I'd like to get a definite answer because it has always confused me.

I've asked several times what armor defence values mean, and I've always been told they are the number of points deducted from incoming damage. This cheap starter armor, for example, has Blunt 18 / Piercing 12 / Slashing 22. That means that damage is reduced by 12 to 22 points depending on type. So far, so good.

I now go into the graveyard naked (everyone needs to relax and have a hobby) and the walking dead is hitting me fairly consistently for 9 points torso. I put on my torso armor, and he is hitting me fairly consistently for 6 points torso. So, that is not a damage reduction of 12 to 22 points, it's only 3 points.

Can somebody please explain in simple terms for me, speaking slowly, cos I've clearly missed something obvious!

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Im pretty sure its percentage of damage reduction. Not points of damage reduced.

18 % blunt reduction, 12% piercing reduction, etc.

But ive never actually tested.

Reactions: Camarro DaMortas

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
Being raised with the bars in the old game I have never really thought about it.

I just see it as an easier way to compare different items. Especially seeing skills do not effect it now.

It would be interesting to know though.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
Being raised with the bars in the old game I have never really thought about it.

I just see it as an easier way to compare different items. Especially seeing skills do not effect it now.

It would be interesting to know though.
Same here... I thought it was self explanatory.

Camarro DaMortas

Jan 1, 2022
Norfolk, UK
Very odd. I see frequent discussions on the best types or armor, but that judgement just isn't possible without an understanding of the mechanics (and I'm not talking about seeing the formulae, just a general understanding that a medieval armorer might have).

Here's an example with some made up figures...

Like most people, I am constantly attacked by mounted archers who start by shooting my poor old horse. I decide to invest in some horse armor. I know that the archers are doing a base damage of 40. I have a choice of Light Horse Armor (Piercing Defense 20) Medium (30) or Heavy (40). Which do I choose?

If defense is points mitigated it's a no-brainer. Heavy will mitigate 40 points and I take no damage. I can sit and make rude gestures at the MA all day.

If defense is a percentage, then the mitigation will be as follows:
Light = 20% = 8 points. My horse takes 32 damage.
Medium = 30% = 12 points. My horse takes 28 damage.
Heavy = 40% = 16 points. My horse takes 24 damage.

In that case, I may decide it's worth choosing the lighter armor for the speed advantage.

I'm not asking SV to "show us the figures", I just simply can't believe that nobody (and I include myself in that) has figured out such an important game combat element.

Last edited:
Reactions: Najwalaylah

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Plenty of people have figured it out, they just arent here on the forums to answer. Im sure if you dig into all the player guides, especially the armour crafting ones, someone has explained it.

or you can just test it.

Reactions: Camarro DaMortas

Amelia

Jun 6, 2020
This seems like a newb question, but I'd like to get a definite answer because it has always confused me.

I've asked several times what armor defence values mean, and I've always been told they are the number of points deducted from incoming damage. This cheap starter armor, for example, has Blunt 18 / Piercing 12 / Slashing 22. That means that damage is reduced by 12 to 22 points depending on type. So far, so good.

I now go into the graveyard naked (everyone needs to relax and have a hobby) and the walking dead is hitting me fairly consistently for 9 points torso. I put on my torso armor, and he is hitting me fairly consistently for 6 points torso. So, that is not a damage reduction of 12 to 22 points, it's only 3 points.

Can somebody please explain in simple terms for me, speaking slowly, cos I've clearly missed something obvious!
I am pretty sure that Is percentages damage reduction, also consider other aspects like clade gifts or If you hit , i.e. , at " full charged" or not .

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
Very odd. I see frequent discussions on the best types or armor, but that judgement just isn't possible without an understanding of the mechanics (and I'm not talking about seeing the formulae, just a general understanding that a medieval armorer might have).

Here's an example with some made up figures...

Like most people, I am constantly attacked by mounted archers who start by shooting my poor old horse. I decide to invest in some horse armor. I know that the archers are doing a base damage of 40. I have a choice of Light Horse Armor (Piercing Defense 20) Medium (30) or Heavy (40). Which do I choose?

If defense is points mitigated it's a no-brainer. Heavy will mitigate 40 points and I take no damage. I can sit and make rude gestures at the MA all day.

If defense is a percentage, then the mitigation will be as follows:
Light = 20% = 8 points. My horse takes 32 damage.
Medium = 30% = 12 points. My horse takes 28 damage.
Heavy = 40% = 16 points. My horse takes 24 damage.

In that case, I may decide it's worth choosing the lighter armor for the speed advantage.

I'm not asking SV to "show us the figures", I just simply can't believe that nobody (and I include myself in that) has figured out such an important game combat element.

So armor reduction in game I imagine works like this.

Damage is reduced by armor percentage. This number is then further reduced by natural damage mitigation.

So in your example lets say you are wearing light armor on a Jotun, and let us say the Jotun has a 5% damage reduction without armor.

So the light armor has a 20% reduction.

You get hit with 40 damage. The light armor stops 8 of it, letting 32 get through. The horse natural defense stops another 5% 1.6 damage. So the horse only takes 30.4 damage from the hit. And yes MO tracks damage to the tenths.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Khulan

Feb 26, 2022
The value you see on a piece of armour can't be a percentage of damaged blocked. I believe that it is a flat reduction to damage which has some hidden variable.

So you see 40 points of reduction and you get hit with a 50 damage attack. You'll take 10 damage on average, but the hidden variable affects each calculation so you might take 17 on one hit, 8 on the next, 11 on the next and so on.

Percentage reduction doesn't make any sense to me because as you approach 70 resistances, the frequency of 0 damage hits becomes much higher.