Haven: How should it work? [Poll]

How should Haven work?

• Total voters

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Title is simple. How should Haven work, should it work at all (Not exist)?

Let's have a gathering of data from the users of the forums to see what they think.

I personally think Haven is fine existing with a hard time limit. Players -will- take the opportunity to indefinitely live on it otherwise, and people who don't believe that clearly don't understand that some players come into MO wanting the MO experience without the hardcore aspects - which guts the entire experience.

It's also unfair to the population. Potentially having it split among two places, where one abides by different rulesets - is not fair.

Reactions: Grisù

Grisù

Sep 3, 2020
In don't like Haven concept at all, but I cannot deny that many newcomers could benefit a lot from it, presuming it will be designed with exceptional quality.

Honestly I would find very hypocritical for SV to allow players to have an indefinite time full game experience on Haven (except for PvP), just to retain carebears, hello kitty online / animal crossing players, 0 risk players.
Since they didn't wanted to split population on regional servers (that could increase performance for everyone), they shouldn't even allow population split by gameplay style, imho.

I can't pick a chose in the listed ones, limited time seems to be the most balanced of all of them, but if i put myself in newcomer shoes, i would fell the urge of rushing for the whole Haven time experience due to avoid missing something out.

I would prefer a limited experience Haven, like some proposed in the other tread plus other added limitations.
Something like:
-Very small map, with no more than 2 villages.
-No Housing, no guild system.
-Very limited resources and materials, not by quantity but by diversity. Something like 3 minerals over 2 ore types, 3 woods, 3 plants, 3 butchery raw parts, and so on.
-Very limited skill growth.
-Very limited AI, 2 types of pacific fleeing AI (Springboks alike), 2 types of aggressive AI (Bandits alike).
-Limited Dungeons, something like maximum 2, one low tier and other one intermediate tier (for a newcomer standards).
-Unlimited Race re-roll token, since we can have only 1 character per account (if I'm not wrong), just allow players to explore the whole race system before making an irreversible one time choice.
-No Items, no skill points, stats bring from Haven to Myrland migration.

And some other limitations that I cannot remember right now on the spot.
New players should become bored to play Haven after some time, and be hyped about joining the main game which has much more features and elements to discover and master; instead of just wandering in their no risk - high reward comfort zone.

@Handsome Young Man sorry for being so much verbose.
I you feel I've gone so much off topic (since my opinion isn't listed in the poll options), feel free to ask me to delete my post.

Skydancer

May 28, 2020
  • Time limited things in games are bad
  • Limit resources
  • Limit activities
  • Ensure no wealth can be transferred to Myrland to serve as an incentive to get out into the real world
  • Make haven have the same flagging and standing system as Myrland but with more well-guarded areas
  • Remove cancerous help chat as this is inconsistent with the local-only core gameplay with guilds as exception

Every game-rule becomes the same, including the rule that there are no time-limited areas in MO. People should get bored of the limited activities and resources. Haven will carry a reduced but appropriate level of inter-player risk. People will want to explore the game world and actions not available on Haven, and be able to accumulate resources that actually matter and are kept permanently.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
  • Time limited things in games are bad
  • Limit resources
  • Limit activities
  • Ensure no wealth can be transferred to Myrland to serve as an incentive to get out into the real world
  • Make haven have the same flagging and standing system as Myrland but with more well-guarded areas
  • Remove cancerous help chat as this is inconsistent with the local-only core gameplay with guilds as exception

Every game-rule becomes the same, including the rule that there are no time-limited areas in MO. People should get bored of the limited activities and resources. Haven will carry a reduced but appropriate level of inter-player risk. People will want to explore the game world and actions not available on Haven, and be able to accumulate resources that actually matter and are kept permanently.

Gonna say this as short of a manner as possible.

It does not matter the scope of activity that is present on Haven. Looking at Haven in MO1, players would be more then satisfied staying there indefinitely.

It was decently sized, safe, had various PvE on it that was easy, a single town for all players to utilize.. etc. etc.

I don't think MO2 is going to downsize Haven, but rather improve, add, and make it even bigger.

You really don't understand that people will just -live- in Haven. People never played MO1 for the content persay, they played for the community and the people. Enough people stay on Haven - you'll have a community adverse to going into Myrland. Mark my words.

Reactions: ElPerro and Vagrant

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Too many options I think is unrealistic to approach with this situation.

Well, just reading through the first 5 posts and adding myself in. There are four people who voiced support for this or liked posts voicing support for it. Given more people tend to vote in polls than post in topics, and right now no option has more than 5 votes... it looks like you left out an important option thus biasing the results of this poll.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Well, just reading through the first 5 posts and adding myself in. There are four people who voiced support for this or liked posts voicing support for it. Given more people tend to vote in polls than post in topics, and right now no option has more than 5 votes... it looks like you left out an important option thus biasing the results of this poll.

Haven already would have limited features. It did in MO1.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
The entire game had "limited features" if you want to argue semantics, but that's not what we're arguing here.

The island was huge contained a lot more areas and creatures than were needed purely for the sake of the tutorial.

What we mean when we say "limited features" is basically that it should have no features which are not needed for the tutorial experience.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
This poll is clearly a setup. It leaves out the primary opposing point of view in order to bias the results toward the outcome you want. SV can and should ignore it's results.

Vagrant

Oct 8, 2020
no fixed address
I don't think MO2 is going to downsize Haven, but rather improve, add, and make it even bigger.

I would hope 'improve and add' aren't equated with 'make it even bigger'
at least that will help the 'Haven' game retention long term :rolleyes:

I would've gone with "Haven shouldn't 'have to' exist"
But since it will exist and we're being positive here..

I have to agree with @Kaemik on this one "it should have no features which are not needed for the tutorial experience" end of.
That covers whatever list I'd come up with.

Edit - it should be WAY smaller.

Reactions: Skydancer

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Edit - it should be WAY smaller.

Agreed. Making it smaller actually improves the tutorial experience. As I said, when I played Haven a month ago I actually had to go search this huge field full of wisents, razorbacks, and other stuff to find donkeys. It's more helpful in a tutorial context if it's more of a "We have some captured feral donkeys. Go tame one of the donkeys in that pen over there." Search this huge island for donkeys is counterproductive in the context of a tutorial.

Chronicburn

Jan 9, 2021
I voted indifferent because I’m new here and not sure how it will work. Here’s a couple basic noob questions...
Once you leave can you never go back?
Is it like a one way bridge or portal or something?
Where do you end up when you leave and who is waiting there?
Can you bring anything with you out of Haven?
If so, do you have to carry it all?
Will you be ported to the same spot as all the other noobs coming out of haven with a ganksquad waiting for you as soon as you port out?

Just a few basic questions from someone new to the game from an outside perspective.
I know when Darkfall launched the new people has to go through the whole getting ganked right outside of safe zones and even exploits that allowed them to be killed and looted in the safe zones.
That being said I learned to do it by having it done to me lol but I would have to guess the experience scared a number of players off at the beginning...

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
In MO1 it's a one way trip. Once you leave you can never return. That is not yet confirmed for MO2 as far as I am aware. I'd hope if it's a 2-way trip though that vets can't return to screw with newbs on haven, but rather solely to answer questions and recruit.

If Haven were designed to be a week+ experience having it be a no combat zone would ruin take a lot away from the experience IMO.

Even in MO1 all I did in Haven was tutorial for an hour or two and then leave. Not robbing anyone of anything. If they remove much of the unnecessary content that was in MO1 Haven few will opt to stay there for long. You'd likely be introduced to PvP within hours of starting the game but you wouldn't be fighting anyone before gaining a basic understanding of how to play the game.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I voted indifferent because I’m new here and not sure how it will work. Here’s a couple basic noob questions...
Once you leave can you never go back?
Is it like a one way bridge or portal or something?
Where do you end up when you leave and who is waiting there?
Can you bring anything with you out of Haven?
If so, do you have to carry it all?
Will you be ported to the same spot as all the other noobs coming out of haven with a ganksquad waiting for you as soon as you port out?

Just a few basic questions from someone new to the game from an outside perspective.
I know when Darkfall launched the new people has to go through the whole getting ganked right outside of safe zones and even exploits that allowed them to be killed and looted in the safe zones.
That being said I learned to do it by having it done to me lol but I would have to guess the experience scared a number of players off at the beginning...
You can't go back,

you go to your racial starter city apparently (didn't work this way in the first game)

Your racial city will be guarded and likely have some materials within the city walls.

You actually can bring your bank with you out of haven which a lot of us don't love the idea of, but that will allow you to gear up to some extent etc.

People will be ported to different cities based on race.

Chronicburn

Jan 9, 2021
You can't go back,

you go to your racial starter city apparently (didn't work this way in the first game)

Your racial city will be guarded and likely have some materials within the city walls.

You actually can bring your bank with you out of haven which a lot of us don't love the idea of, but that will allow you to gear up to some extent etc.

People will be ported to different cities based on race.
In that case they should probably limit the time in haven or people will just sit there and stock up mats forever?
However if they port you out instantly when your time is up ... hopefully they give enough warning to grab stuff from your haven bank (if there is one) or maybe it automatically transfers to the racial bank?
Sounds like the whole idea has upside but it creates a lot of questions and some complications.
Overall I’m not too concerned about it ... sounds like it’s not going to be a major part of the game in the long run unless they let it

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
The materials there shouldn't be particularly valuable. Many of them can be gathered INSIDE guarded towns. You're better off going to the mainland and gathering there where you can find things of more value.

Chronicburn

Jan 9, 2021
Well I don’t know how the mechanics of the town guards work ... but if they protect players from being killed, wouldn’t the racial towns be be just as good as a haven anyway? Sorry haven’t been in long enough to even find a town and see how guards work tbh

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Well I don’t know how the mechanics of the town guards work ... but if they protect players from being killed, wouldn’t the racial towns be be just as good as a haven anyway? Sorry haven’t been in long enough to even find a town and see how guards work tbh
Competition will be more steep inside town, and you won't find everything you need in town either.

In regards to your earlier question. Haven is limited but you can make pig iron which is a precursor to steel. Right now people are concerned about banks full of pig iron.

Reactions: Chronicburn