Great game so far, just a few suggestions.

Pepecovfefe

Jan 5, 2022
I've played for the last two weeks and must say wow. This game is indeed unique. It's a rough start though...new players have to make a effort to really know what's going on in the beginning or they will give up.

Few things I suggest...

New player experience

Expand on the new player experience. Take note of how eve online handles the new player experience. It may not be perfect, but it helps.

Regarding new player experience, take this for example. We all know here that death is a normal part of the game. We will encounter death at some point and need to deal with it.

New player experience should make it a objective to go out and do pvp x number of times in the starter area. The sooner ppl get desensitized to death, the better in my opinion.

Travel System

Travel system needs some type of expansion. I understand you can travel by mount, I get that you can ghost walk. However... Relying on ghostwalking to travel across the world to reach a dungeon is kind of ridiculous, especially given if your relying on death to get a movement boost. Why not have a teleport station on select areas of map. And require some training into it?

Look at this design for example... Final fantasy 11 had a Tele system in which everyone in party had to have a Tele node for a particular point of interest. Once in key items, a white mage had to have the ability to teleport the party to said node.

Photo mode

As silly as it sounds, people like to look at their characters and share cool screenshots of them. And before anyone says oooo well this will be utilized incorrectly... Why not implement it in select areas such as a tavern or specific Vista where you can switch to third person, take your screen and be on your way?

Maps

Im kind of torn on this one. On one hand I like the whole aspect of knowing your area, but alot of people might not. Make a in game map system optional?

Last edited:

Belteyn

Nov 29, 2020
Cambridge, UK
Travel System

Travel system needs some type of expansion. I understand you can travel by mount, I get that you can ghost walk. However... Relying on ghostwalking to travel across the world to reach a dungeon is kind of ridiculous, especially given if your relying on death to get a movement boost. Why not have a teleport station on select areas of map. And require some training into it?

This game is intended NOT to have fast travel for multiple VERY good reasons. I just don't understand the mentality of new players that know nothing about the reasons why the game is designed this way automatically asking for fast travel like EVERY other MMO. Why does every MMO have to be the same for you? I'm not trying to be rude, but please try and understand the particular design objectives of a game before immmediately suggesting it has to have the same features of every other cookie cutter MMO out there. It's this one dimentional thinking that is killing this genre. /rant over

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
@Pepecovfefe The new player experience I can understand, though having seen the latest tutorial I think it's pretty detailed as it is. Is there anything specific that you feel could be improved?

I think there is a portal spell in Spiritism that allows players to teleport to another location on the map, however from what I've heard it involves a certain level of risk. In MO2, there is no such thing as a free lunch and nothing comes without risk.

The third person photo mode is a divisive one, it's basically asking the devs to go against one of the game's core design tenets. I don't know what SV thinks of this idea, to allow people third person view in the tavern. I personally am not in favour of any third person cameras, as I feel that the paperdoll window is enough.

It depends on what you mean by a map system. If it's a skill-based thing like Cartography where you can draw a static map on a sheet of paper and then sell or give to other players in the game, then yes by all means. If you're referring to something like a mini-map with markers and shows you where you are, then I'm afraid this is not the game for that.

Pepecovfefe

Jan 5, 2022
@Pepecovfefe The new player experience I can understand, though having seen the latest tutorial I think it's pretty detailed as it is. Is there anything specific that you feel could be improved?

I think there is a portal spell in Spiritism that allows players to teleport to another location on the map, however from what I've heard it involves a certain level of risk. In MO2, there is no such thing as a free lunch and nothing comes without risk.

The third person photo mode is a divisive one, it's basically asking the devs to go against one of the game's core design tenets. I don't know what SV thinks of this idea, to allow people third person view in the tavern. I personally am not in favour of any third person cameras, as I feel that the paperdoll window is enough.

It depends on what you mean by a map system. If it's a skill-based thing like Cartography where you can draw a static map on a sheet of paper and then sell or give to other players in the game, then yes by all means. If you're referring to something like a mini-map with markers and shows you where you are, then I'm afraid this is not the game for that.

Regarding new player experience, take this for example. We all know here that death is a normal part of the game. We will encounter death at some point and need to deal with it.

New player experience should make it a objective to go out and do pvp x number of times in the starter area. The sooner ppl get desensitized to death, the better in my opinion.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Vulpin

Nov 29, 2021
This game is intended NOT to have fast travel for multiple VERY good reasons. I just don't understand the mentality of new players that know nothing about the reasons why the game is designed this way automatically asking for fast travel like EVERY other MMO. Why does every MMO have to be the same for you? I'm not trying to be rude, but please try and understand the particular design objectives of a game before immmediately suggesting it has to have the same features of every other cookie cutter MMO out there. It's this one dimentional thinking that is killing this genre. /rant over
Personal I feel like as the devs expand the map a faster way to move from point A to B will be needed. This could be via a very heavily restricted TP mechanic that let you TP between protected towns only ever 8-24 hours an doesn't let you carry items over. Right now such a mechanic isn't too needed because with a fast horse or ghost walking you can get across the map in 30 mins. But when the map expands an getting across the map takes 2-3 hours well than ghost walking across the map will be a pain in the ass.

pooternackle

Mar 21, 2021
I agree with no teleport, but the people supporting dumb ghost walk mechanics need to realize that it’s just a slower version of a teleport.

No teleports, no ghost walking. If you want to get from one place to another, there needs to be a time/risk cost.

Vulpin

Nov 29, 2021
I agree with no teleport, but the people supporting dumb ghost walk mechanics need to realize that it’s just a slower version of a teleport.

No teleports, no ghost walking. If you want to get from one place to another, there needs to be a time/risk cost.
Sounds like a bad game design to slow walk across the map naked for an hour just to die than be forced to slow walk across the map naked again for an hour to than die again than be forced to slow walk naked across the map again for an hour. Let not do this an realize how stupid it sounds instead.

pooternackle

Mar 21, 2021
Sounds like a bad game design to slow walk across the map naked for an hour just to die than be forced to slow walk across the map naked again for an hour to than die again than be forced to slow walk naked across the map again for an hour. Let not do this an realize how stupid it sounds instead.

or you can take gear and make an effort to defend yourself. Or take an alternate route with less people. Or stay where you’re at.

ghost walking takes the risk away from travel and kills the entire idea of local economies. It’s incoherent to both oppose teleportation and support walking near-invincibly from city to city at rapid speeds. If anything, teleportation is better since it has the same outcome and is less tedious.

Vulpin

Nov 29, 2021
or you can take gear and make an effort to defend yourself. Or take an alternate route with less people. Or stay where you’re at.

ghost walking takes the risk away from travel and kills the entire idea of local economies. It’s incoherent to both oppose teleportation and support walking near-invincibly from city to city at rapid speeds. If anything, teleportation is better since it has the same outcome and is less tedious.
Why would I take gear an risk losing it when my only objective is to get some were?

Also how does ghost walking kill the economy? You do realize you can't carry anything as a ghost right? Last I checked walking around the map does nothing to affect supply an demand.

Last edited:

pooternackle

Mar 21, 2021
Why would I take gear an risk losing it when my only objective is to get some were?

Also how does ghost walking kill the economy? You do realize you can't carry anything as a ghost right? Last I checked walking around the map does nothing to affect supply an demand.

it allows people to abandon local economies that are on a downtrend. No ghost walking between cities incentivizes people to stay and keep the economy active.

Vulpin

Nov 29, 2021
it allows people to abandon local economies that are on a downtrend. No ghost walking between cities incentivizes people to stay and keep the economy active.
Right, sure what every you say? Just completely ignore the fact that certain items can only be found in certain regions I guess.

Meanwhile a TP feature would be beneficial to the game in the long run as along as it prevents TP items with you an has a long CD tied to it. This is fact

strycio

Apr 1, 2021
Right, sure what every you say? Just completely ignore the fact that certain items can only be found in certain regions I guess.

Meanwhile a TP feature would be beneficial to the game in the long run as along as it prevents TP items with you an has a long CD tied to it. This is fact
Why is this fact?

Vulpin

Nov 29, 2021
Why is this fact?
What the only difference between ghost walking from town A to town B vs just TP to town A to town B if TP doesn't allow you to carry anything while doing it? You don't suffer reserve lose for dying, an you don't need to waste 15-30+ mins holding the W key down an sliding your mouse a few times to turn.

Plus this mechanic will help new players explore the map & learn faster, because trying to find out how to go from say tindrem to Meduli for your first time is a lot easier when you know what the surrounding of Meduli look like.

An it absolutely wouldn't affect any part of the game's economy. Because simple existing an walking around naked or as a ghost has zero effect on the game's economy.

Reactions: Zbuciorn

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
I've played for the last two weeks and must say wow. This game is indeed unique. It's a rough start though...new players have to make a effort to really know what's going on in the beginning or they will give up.

Few things I suggest...

New player experience

Expand on the new player experience. Take note of how eve online handles the new player experience. It may not be perfect, but it helps.

Travel System

Look at this design for example... Final fantasy 11 had a Tele system in which everyone in party had to have a Tele node for a particular point of interest. Once in key items, a white mage had to have the ability to teleport the party to said node.

Photo mode

As silly as it sounds, people like to look at their characters and share cool screenshots of them. And before anyone says oooo well this will be utilized incorrectly... Why not implement it in select areas such as a tavern or specific Vista where you can switch to third person, take your screen and be on your way?

Maps

Im kind of torn on this one. On one hand I like the whole aspect of knowing your area, but alot of people might not. Make a in game map system optional?

1) New Player: Agreed, they intend to continue to expand it, and I agree it should expose new players to more of the dangers and features of the main game, especially since they plan to make Haven a free trial. Though it's challenging to also make it so it's not rife with abuse or people just hanging out there and not moving on.

2) Travel - Sorry not gonna happen, long form travel is build into the game, the economy system etc. It's meant to feel far to get from one end of the continent to another, to make distance between things matter and for people to need to take time to get to somewhere to join a battle etc. The game is meant to be regional.

3) As others have said, too hard to make this system without abuses. Sure they could put in 3rd person points in the world for pictures if the area is guaranteed to not have anything to abuse there, but I feel like that'd be not a great amount of gain for the effort. Just as an FYI if you go to your character menu, you can hit the fullscreen button to a get a full 3d model of your character you can move around to see what you look like.

4) They intend to implement cartography such that players can make maps and sell them, but there will never be an automatic in game map. Again the game is about discovery and having an omniscient map defeats that purpose. Though it does sound like they are potentially open to creating their own like hand drawn "world map" similar to the one on Haven just so people can be oriented.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
1) New Player: Agreed, they intend to continue to expand it, and I agree it should expose new players to more of the dangers and features of the main game, especially since they plan to make Haven a free trial. Though it's challenging to also make it so it's not rife with abuse or people just hanging out there and not moving on.

2) Travel - Sorry not gonna happen, long form travel is build into the game, the economy system etc. It's meant to feel far to get from one end of the continent to another, to make distance between things matter and for people to need to take time to get to somewhere to join a battle etc. The game is meant to be regional.

3) As others have said, too hard to make this system without abuses. Sure they could put in 3rd person points in the world for pictures if the area is guaranteed to not have anything to abuse there, but I feel like that'd be not a great amount of gain for the effort. Just as an FYI if you go to your character menu, you can hit the fullscreen button to a get a full 3d model of your character you can move around to see what you look like.

4) They intend to implement cartography such that players can make maps and sell them, but there will never be an automatic in game map. Again the game is about discovery and having an omniscient map defeats that purpose. Though it does sound like they are potentially open to creating their own like hand drawn "world map" similar to the one on Haven just so people can be oriented.

I mean it's not like maps didn't exist in ancient times in real life. And it's not like everyone doesn't use the MO2 online map anyways. I mean if you didn't know exactly where horses spawn or where mobs are you'd have one hell of a time finding them

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
I mean it's not like maps didn't exist in ancient times in real life. And it's not like everyone doesn't use the MO2 online map anyways. I mean if you didn't know exactly where horses spawn or where mobs are you'd have one hell of a time finding them

In his latest stream Henrik confirmed they will give people a "crude" map of Myrland once they leave Haven, and will also give players crude maps to find NPCs to rescue with the new rescrue tasks.

They aren't against the ideas of maps, especially ones that are within lore/hand drawn in game, though I think if they have the choice they'd prefer to have the creation and distribution of them handled by players (hence the planned cartography system). They are just against the idea of a magical game system that provides a GPS minimap.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
In his latest stream Henrik confirmed they will give people a "crude" map of Myrland once they leave Haven, and will also give players crude maps to find NPCs to rescue with the new rescrue tasks.

They aren't against the ideas of maps, especially ones that are within lore/hand drawn in game, though I think if they have the choice they'd prefer to have the creation and distribution of them handled by players (hence the planned cartography system). They are just against the idea of a magical game system that provides a GPS minimap.

I mean can we all kind of agree though that it's because they probably couldn't even make a gps map of the game of they tried lol