Game freezing

Cyberjock

Jan 20, 2022
I'm suffering really badly from this issue as well on a i9900k and 3080, the system loads, temps and power use are all perfectly fine and then I get these 1-90s periods of zero gpu load occurring randomly. I cannot isolate the cause and never had it before persistence patch hit, but it's getting to the point where I cannot play the game any more as these freezes occurring in combat regularly leads to lootbag loss.

Fucking hell something is fucked up

Lumos, if you find the time, please fill out the following so we can start zeroing down on this issue. I'm am currently testing out Bicorps's fix and will post my findings soon. If you would like to see examples of filling these out please see my and Wiped's post above at post #13 & #14.

1. Identifying the issue (to make sure we are talking about the same problem)

2. List PC Specifications

3. List Any Significant Configurations (multiple monitors, overclocking, special peripherals)

4. List Any Other Programs Running Other than MO2

5. List Things You Have Tried to Correct the Issue

6. Any Other Information That You May Feel Could Be Pertinent to the Issue

Barney

Jan 28, 2022
DX11 what? Are you telling us to try DX11, if so it has already been done and posted that we did. Are you saying DX11 fixed it for you? Are you just trying to get your post count up?
It fixed my game freezing.

Cyberjock

Jan 20, 2022
I'm suffering really badly from this issue as well on a i9900k and 3080, the system loads, temps and power use are all perfectly fine and then I get these 1-90s periods of zero gpu load occurring randomly. I cannot isolate the cause and never had it before persistence patch hit, but it's getting to the point where I cannot play the game any more as these freezes occurring in combat regularly leads to lootbag loss.

Fucking hell something is fucked up

Lumos, if you find the time, please fill out the following items so we can try and find the cause of this issue. If you like to see an example please refer to post #13 and #14.

3. List Any Significant Configurations (multiple monitors, overclocking, special peripherals)

I tell you, I was freezing like this on 80% of the game I was playing and the cause was my second SSD having files of the game. I changed GPU 2 time thinking it was that and it specially happen when ALT-TAB.

I have now tried this fix by uninstalling Steam and MO2 from the 2nd drive (D: ), then removing the drive from the system, and then reinstalling Steam and MO2 on the primary drive (C: ) which is the only drive remaining in the system. The issue still persists with no noticeable difference. Either there was something else that you did that fixed your issue when you went through this procedure or this is not the same issue we are having. Do you remember doing anything else when you uninstalled and removed your 2nd SSD?

Reactions: Bicorps

Cyberjock

Jan 20, 2022
It fixed my game freezing.
I had the same problem. Yesterday I played with DX11 and game wasnt freeze. So it seems its is right decision. Launch the game not with DX12, but with DX11.

Wiped and I have already tried both DX11 and DX12 multiple times with no change in the issue. I mostly run with DX11, every once in a while I'll try DX12 to see if anything has changed with this issue. Our issue must be different than what you guys were experiencing.

Bicorps

Jun 27, 2020
Lumos, if you find the time, please fill out the following items so we can try and find the cause of this issue. If you like to see an example please refer to post #13 and #14.

I have now tried this fix by uninstalling Steam and MO2 from the 2nd drive (D: ), then removing the drive from the system, and then reinstalling Steam and MO2 on the primary drive (C: ) which is the only drive remaining in the system. The issue still persists with no noticeable difference. Either there was something else that you did that fixed your issue when you went through this procedure or this is not the same issue we are having. Do you remember doing anything else when you uninstalled and removed your 2nd SSD?

I did my GPU Update and Window update too, pretty much it.

Erwinicus

Mar 22, 2021
Symptom: game freezes (not responding) and never starts working again, have to kill the task. No UE4 error appears.

Seems like it happens more in Haven. I had like 4 freezes in haven, not had one outside since release (however I did crash outside twice in the jungle during beta).
Specifically in the dungeon in Haven I had 3 freezes, then one random in the town.

Running DX12 all settings low and DLSS off - 1080p, also capped to 80 FPS to see if that would help but last crash was after that.

CPU: i7 9700K
GPU: RTX 3060 Ti
Memory: 16 GB DDR4

Crashes are very infrequent so have no been able to do much testing since I never know if my changes make any difference before playing multiple hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moz

Cyberjock

Jan 20, 2022
Seems like it happens more in Haven.

I know what you mean. I thought that maybe that had released a patch that fixed this because I have not had the issue on any of my computers for just over 2 weeks now. I was ready to come post here and say "It's fix!", but today I rerolled one of my chars and I wasn't in Haven 20min and it froze again... This might be just a Haven issue now, I don't know. I just haven't had the issue in Myrland for over 2 weeks now. But as soon as I go back in the Haven "WHAM!"

Moldiworp

Feb 26, 2022
So I had been pulling my hair out trying everything, reinstalled windows everything. Turns out its a UAE4 issue. The solution is a small bit of registry editing, nothing harmful. Hasnt completely stopped the crashes for me but id say 95% of them. I was having this issue in Haven and on Myr. Then found this little gem: https://thegeekpage.com/dxgi-error-device-removed/

Good luck folks!

Reactions: Najwalaylah
D

Deleted member 44

I've had the same thing and outright crashes. All the issues went away when I placed a FPS cap on the game from the NVIDIA control panel.

I also can only run the game on all low settings, even with a 3080. If I increase texture size, etc I get out of memory crashes.

abhiramwah

Mar 10, 2022
Delhi
www.showtimeevent.com
games freeze maybe because your graphics card is old, your RAM is not enough, your graphic cards video memory is not sufficient, your graphic card can't run modern games. It can be any of the above reason.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I've had this problem for a long time, tried all kinds of steps and found out that what worked for me was turning off DLSS.

Never had a hard freeze again after that. But everyone's system is different, so it might not be the silver bullet that we're all looking for.

Wiped

Feb 3, 2022
games freeze maybe because your graphics card is old, your RAM is not enough, your graphic cards video memory is not sufficient, your graphic card can't run modern games. It can be any of the above reason.
Of course and you will tell me that any other Game (Released 2022) Runs in Ultra Settings without any crash for 12h playtime a day with Stream running, that my System is to old or not good enough to play this Graphic that looks like from 2015 for 30min and then ramdomly crash? Its just badly programmed thats it and they cant fix it cause its still happend

Lumos

Jan 4, 2022
After months of biting the edge of my desk, I think I have managed to resolve the type of freezes I myself was experiencing.

When you install a new disk, reinstall your OS or swap around your hardware, windows 10 and 11 is able to automatically reassign a new pagefile (this is like an extra ram dump file) on one of your storage devices - if you are unlucky it may have selected an HDD.
On my system, it turns out that apart from the pagefile I had assigned on one of my SSD's, windows also assigned my last installation of a 3TB HDD volume storage as a pagefile, and this was reaching 100% load whenever the game had been running for a while, or got very busy, which makes your GPU stop rendering and your cpu start cycling while waiting for the HDD to load stuff back into the actual RAM.

Below is a picture guide for anyone unfamiliar with the settings menu to change your pagefile size and location.

Open your Settings menu and search for "advanced system settings"
1652152967190.png

Select the "Advanced" tab and click "Settings"
1652153050081.png

Click "Change"
1652153087996.png

Untik the top box "Automatically manage.."
1652153110207.png

Make sure only one drive is selected as a page file, and make doubly sure to select an SSD or NVME SSD for this purpose. Use a custom size like mine above or allow windows to allocate on this disk, click "Set" and "OK", then restart PC.

This has made the actual freezes stop on my rig and client, but the game will still stutter sometimes when loading assets/passing nodelines etc. It is a completely different experience.

Hope this helps someone :)

Edyran

Jan 27, 2022
So my game is running great FPS/PING but it does hard freeze every 1-2hrs. I've tried playing with the setting and everything. I thought it was OBS at first because it seemed to happen more when recording. I have since stopped but the process continues, not sure if its because I'm tabbing to my other screen too much or what.
Please let me if you guys have any thoughts or solutions.
AMD processor?