Game doesn't start properly

Vallar

Jun 15, 2023
Hey folks,

I purchased Mortal Online 2 a few days ago on Steam. After downloading it, I tried launching the game itself but it seems to be broken for some reason. The game doesn't appear in my taskbar and I can't find it in the Alt+Tab list of apps currently running. However, when I go to my Task Manager, I can clearly see that Mortal Online 2 is there running with 0% CPU and 450ish RAM along with Easy Anti Cheat (EOS).

Pretty sure my device is capable of running the game (i7 9th Gen @ 2.6, 32GB RAM and RTX 2060 with 6GB of VRAM). Anyway, I sent Star Vault a ticket through their support page and it didn't get a reply at all during the past few days. So I figured maybe the community can help before I just refund it and write it off.

Here is what I tried so far:

* Verify files through Steam. No issues found.
* Start the game using the .exe files in the game folder (Launcher, UE4's shipping binary directly). Same issue.
* Use a VPN (sometimes some games are blocked due to VOIP issues with my country so I thought maybe this is one of them). Same issue.
* Start DX11 instead of 12. Same issue.
* Run as admin.
* Make sure there is a rule to allow the game's connection in Windows Security
* Try a few things mentioned in a previous thread here that had the same issue. No VR related apps installed or anything VR on this device.

Any ideas how I could resolve this?

Thanks.

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
If you have a separate drive from your OS install try moving your install folder there.

If even that won't work, write it off and consider yourself lucky before you see it's flaws for yourself.

Vallar

Jun 15, 2023
If you have a separate drive from your OS install try moving your install folder there.

If even that won't work, write it off and consider yourself lucky before you see it's flaws for yourself.

What do you mean by move the install folder? Doesn't it have to be inside Steam's commonapps folder to work?

I played the first one for a little bit, I know it isn't the best thing in the world, but between it and mind numbing click-AFK-face-roll every other MMO, not a lot of choices :/ . I am also a bit hopeful the roadmap would be executed well enough and it brings some interesting stuff like region rules and what not.

Jybwee

May 28, 2020
However, when I go to my Task Manager, I can clearly see that Mortal Online 2 is there running with 0% CPU and 450ish RAM along with Easy Anti Cheat (EOS).
Sorry but Just to clarify. Did you 'end the task' and/or restart your computer and try it again? May have been some random error that stopped it from starting once but if that process is still going in task manager then it won't allow you to start another instance of the game.

Vallar

Jun 15, 2023
Sorry but Just to clarify. Did you 'end the task' and/or restart your computer and try it again? May have been some random error that stopped it from starting once but if that process is still going in task manager then it won't allow you to start another instance of the game.
No problem, I'll clarify:

* Launch the game through Steam. Visibly nothing happens.
* Open Task Manager, the game's task is there along with EAC. I can't Alt+Tab to it since there is no actual window. Taskbar doesn't have any icons for the game to indicate it is running despite showing up in Task Manager.
* Wait 2-7 minutes (once I waited for 2 minutes, a couple of times I waited for 5 minutes and 3 times I waited for 7 minutes), nothing changes. Kill the game's task which automatically then kills the EAC task.
* Try again by launching through Steam.

The above is exactly how I try to run the game or test running it. I never try to launch it when the task is still in the Task Manager.

Reactions: Jybwee

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
What do you mean by move the install folder? Doesn't it have to be inside Steam's commonapps folder to work?

I played the first one for a little bit, I know it isn't the best thing in the world, but between it and mind numbing click-AFK-face-roll every other MMO, not a lot of choices :/ . I am also a bit hopeful the roadmap would be executed well enough and it brings some interesting stuff like region rules and what not.
You can create multiple steam game library folder locations and move games inbetween them. But that's only applicable if you have multiple hard drives. I had an issue where the game didn't work if i had it installed on the same drive as my windows installation and resolved it by moving it to the separate drive.

Vallar

Jun 15, 2023
You can create multiple steam game library folder locations and move games inbetween them. But that's only applicable if you have multiple hard drives. I had an issue where the game didn't work if i had it installed on the same drive as my windows installation and resolved it by moving it to the separate drive.

I didn't know that is even possible. Interesting. Right now, the game is in a separate drive from my Windows drive and each drive is on a separate disk yes.

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
I didn't know that is even possible. Interesting. Right now, the game is in a separate drive from my Windows drive and each drive is on a separate disk yes.
Worth a shot before you toss in the towel. Thing is, windows tends to set it's main drive's folders to read only which might cause issues with things like installing mods or running EAC. Best to put it somewhere outside of program files folder alltogether if strange issues are going on.

Vallar

Jun 15, 2023
Worth a shot before you toss in the towel. Thing is, windows tends to set it's main drive's folders to read only which might cause issues with things like installing mods or running EAC. Best to put it somewhere outside of program files folder alltogether if strange issues are going on.
Think I may have worded what I said wrong. Sorry. But right now Windows is on a separate HD from the game. The two are completely separable. Steam is on my D drive that is on an SSD while my Windows is on a C on a completely separate NVME.

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
After starting the game it takes almost no time until the DirectX selection dialog appears, and after selecting DX11 or DX12 it takes nearly half a minute on my PC until the game comes up.

Vallar

Jun 15, 2023
After starting the game it takes almost no time until the DirectX selection dialog appears, and after selecting DX11 or DX12 it takes nearly half a minute on my PC until the game comes up.

I thought it could take long to start this is why I waited once up to 7 minutes and it didn't launch as I mentioned in one of the previous replies above. I also have to be mindful of how long I wait as the 2 hours window for refund is trickling down with each wait and if it won't work I don't want to end up with it in my library.

Vallar

Jun 15, 2023
OK, I finally got it working -- or rather it just worked. Anyway, I am going to leave what happened here in hopes that someone else having the same issue or similar might get something out of this.

After what you @Xunila said, I thought maybe the issue is how long I am waiting or something so I decided to wait longer.

Basically, I open the game through Steam, choose DX12 and then open Task Manager, check the process for MO2 is running and close it again. For some odd reason, this is important because the couple of times I didn't open Task Manager after I started the game, this didn't work. Now, after doing this, go make some tea/coffee. Not kidding, you have to wait anywhere between 10-12 minutes for it to actually show the game on the taskbar. Once it shows in the taskbar, you click on it to maximize it but it won't maximize as the game will be frozen. Tab away and perhaps finish that tea/coffee while you do something else because you'll need to wait an additional 5-8 minutes. During that time you do NOT try to maximize or click on the game. Just ignore it completely. In any case, after a few minutes the game will stop being frozen and will work normally.

I tried to mess with this in different ways (not open task manager, try to force maximize the game and keep the black screen up, shutting the game and reload it, etc...) nothing, literally, nothing worked except the above process.

• Wow
Reactions: Jybwee

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
Sounds almost like the issue they have where you need to wait a bit more after the login screen loads so EAC is loaded.

Good thing you found the proper ritual to appease the machine spirit though.