Fleeing creatures!

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
A real interesting story from Lord british that shows them thinking the same way but that is not how things worked out.

Yea I really like that video. But ofc humans gonna eradicate anything that moves so long spawns disappears.

If spawns respawn endlessly in a timely enough manner that you can keep farming the quick more rewarding but also harder fighting mobs. Like in MO where low reward animals where never hunted and would be even less hunted if they had the fleeing behaviour.

Like my own experience, I started out making my first 10k gold farming wisents. But once I moved on to better mobs consistently I never went back to wisents even though they where numerous enough to do non stop, Id rather wait say 40 min for the next spider queen or respawning minos or risar.

Reactions: Amadman

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
Yea I really like that video. But ofc humans gonna eradicate anything that moves so long spawns disappears.

If spawns respawn endlessly in a timely enough manner that you can keep farming the quick more rewarding but also harder fighting mobs. Like in MO where low reward animals where never hunted and would be even less hunted if they had the fleeing behaviour.

Like my own experience, I started out making my first 10k gold farming wisents. But once I moved on to better mobs consistently I never went back to wisents even though they where numerous enough to do non stop, Id rather wait say 40 min for the next spider queen or respawning minos or risar.

Right, there will be different players that will be at different stages of development and skill.

And many will choose the creatures they are able to kill that give them the best rewards.

I also agree that a fleeing creature should be more rewarding than an equivalent non fleeing version of the creature.

Which I believe may possibly be the case currently.

There is a second take away you can get from that video as well though.

That is that there is no ecology to destroy. So, It does not matter if the deer or what ever is killed or not.

If someone wants or needs to kill it they can. But it really hurts nothing if they do not.

I for one fled from or avoided almost all aggressive creatures I encountered in the world.

Sure my style of play is an exception but, even players like yourself will possibly

pass up on the non fleeing creatures that don't give the best rewards as well.

The next person that comes along may kill them or not.

It does not matter either way since it does not change how things will work.

In the end they are just creatures in the world that respawn.

Again, this is not to say I am happy with the current AI. Because that is far from the case. ;)

But I do strongly believe that fleeing behavior will make the world feel more alive and immersive.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThaBadMan

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Right, there will be different players that will be at different stages of development and skill.

And many will choose the creatures they are able to kill that give them the best rewards.

I also agree that a fleeing creature should be more rewarding than an equivalent non fleeing version of the creature.

Which I believe may possibly be the case currently.

There is a second take away you can get from that video as well though.

That is that there is no ecology to destroy. So, It does not matter if the deer or what ever is killed or not.

If someone wants or needs to kill it they can. But it really hurts nothing if they do not.

I for one fled from or avoided almost all aggressive creatures I encountered in the world.

Sure my style of play is an exception but, even players like yourself will possibly

pass up on the non fleeing creatures that don't give the best rewards as well.

The next person that comes along may kill them or not.

It does not matter either way since it does not change how things will work.

In the end they are just creatures in the world that respawn.

Again, this is not to say I am happy with the current AI. Because that is far from the case. ;)

But I do strongly believe that fleeing behavior will make the world feel more alive and immersive.
Dont get me wrong, I also want what I call dynamic PvE, where every mob/animal act like they would do. So simply put I want a realistic wildlife simulator in MO, but I dont want that if it comes in a poor state where its choppy and acts like its lost its brain.
The way fleeing animals worked in MO was horrible, there was no added reward when they introduced it and it made hunting 1 animal take 3x+ amount of time even for a 2 shot bok since it was fast and fled with choppy stops that made you miss the hits and waste stamina which MO lacked sufficient amounts of.

So far during the great hunt event and 3 hunting trips besides that, I feel atm the current AI is a slightly improved MO1 fleeing mobs where its choppy, braindead and gets stuck all over. The eratic movement is shit because of the long distance they "hear" you. "hear" since its not sound they hear but a artificial aggro range that dont care about sound or sight.

TLDR: No to broken MOesque fleeing mobs, yes to finished polished wildlife simulator fleeing mobs. No middle ground, either or for me.

Reactions: Amadman

Kuroi

May 28, 2020
Naples, Italy

wtf 10k gold from wisents? are you serious or just giving random numbers? ahah
i don't remember how much they were worth but 10k... that looks like a freakin lot of time

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
wtf 10k gold from wisents? are you serious or just giving random numbers? ahah
i don't remember how much they were worth but 10k... that looks like a freakin lot of time
2-3g a kill. Normally had the entire CC spawns at my disposal until TOP came around to farm, also had a free access to CC resources so long TOP members where not farming on a unknown toon until they learned who I was. At that time very few where farming wisents due to the poor output if more than 1 are farming the 4-5 spawns.
A few weeks of several hours a day.

Reactions: Vagrant

Apsalar

May 31, 2020
Dont get me wrong, I also want what I call dynamic PvE, where every mob/animal act like they would do. So simply put I want a realistic wildlife simulator in MO, but I dont want that if it comes in a poor state where its choppy and acts like its lost its brain.
The way fleeing animals worked in MO was horrible, there was no added reward when they introduced it and it made hunting 1 animal take 3x+ amount of time even for a 2 shot bok since it was fast and fled with choppy stops that made you miss the hits and waste stamina which MO lacked sufficient amounts of.

So far during the great hunt event and 3 hunting trips besides that, I feel atm the current AI is a slightly improved MO1 fleeing mobs where its choppy, braindead and gets stuck all over. The eratic movement is shit because of the long distance they "hear" you. "hear" since its not sound they hear but a artificial aggro range that dont care about sound or sight.

TLDR: No to broken MOesque fleeing mobs, yes to finished polished wildlife simulator fleeing mobs. No middle ground, either or for me.
As I stated numerous times, we need living and breathing world where We, players, are merely visitors. We do not (should not) own the land as we did in MO1. We would (should) try to harness it but finally we will (should) fail to.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
As I stated numerous times, we need living and breathing world where We, players, are merely visitors. We do not (should not) own the land as we did in MO1. We would (should) try to harness it but finally we will (should) fail to.
Yes. I agree. We should live and die in it but not be able to impact it.(the world)

Btw I hate terraforming in games...oh and after MO also hate free placement in anything other than strategy games now...

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I would rather have a bit of both worlds tbh. Keep spots being a thing still, housespots being part of building zones, which is basically keep spots without the keep and then have free placement within these. To an extent anyway.

That way you dont see using the free placement to block use of dungeons and resources. Not directly anyway.

Rulant

May 30, 2020
Really glad to see they are going this direction with the prey type animals.

I honestly liked it that way in the first game and was disappointed when they changed to suicidal boks.

This is far superior out the gate though.
It's great man, almost like you gotta stalk and hunt deer with a bow! MO moving in good direction for non pvp content already, hopefully they add a bunch of RP fluff.

Vakirauta

May 28, 2020
Poland
Btw I hate terraforming in games...oh and after MO also hate free placement in anything other than strategy games now...

Totally on point. That kind of games makes the world look like shit with buildings placed EVERYWHERE like a small poops, lol.
And its not a survival game like Rust, Conan Exiles etc.

Reactions: Rorry and Grisù

Vagrant

Oct 8, 2020
no fixed address
The bow-hunting for boks is pretty fun right now, if a little skittish, it's still a bit weird that after nearly killing one with 3 arrows it just ups and runs away but why not i guess.

keeps and housing zones were good, generally free placement and walls etc sucked almost as much as insta-breeding as long as you have gold.

I loved terraforming in Wurm and LiF but it wouldn't work in MO, it sure does impact a persistent world, hence they have to do new servers/worlds when everyone messes up the sandpit.

Reactions: ThaBadMan

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
I would rather have a bit of both worlds tbh. Keep spots being a thing still, housespots being part of building zones, which is basically keep spots without the keep and then have free placement within these. To an extent anyway.

That way you dont see using the free placement to block use of dungeons and resources. Not directly anyway.
For sure, but that way they all adhere to rules set to not ruin the wonderful world like humans have a natural way of always doing.
Keeps are the only thing I want to see walls around, other than that we can have loads of guild structures which are fortified like small forts, small castles and guild halls upgradable from a house like you said with pre made spots. COuld also have a petition system that if the area is good for it and far enough from towns it could be made a permanent spot.
Totally on point. That kind of games makes the world look like shit with buildings placed EVERYWHERE like a small poops, lol.
And its not a survival game like Rust, Conan Exiles etc.
Very true. If we are allowed we humans will ruin anything if simply for nothing else than the lols in the moment.
I guarantee that if terraforming was in MO2 you would see dicks everywhere. Guaranteed, didnt take that long until the first dick palisade was made in MO afterall.

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
I don't like animal behavior. why not add bleeding after the first arrow hit? the first arrow deals 50% damage, this hit should slow down the victim since half of the life has gone. then you need to get in and finish off the victim and not run after her for three kilometers. if the first arrow flies by and the animal notices it then there is logic in it. then the animal should run away at maximum speed.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I don't like animal behavior. why not add bleeding after the first arrow hit? the first arrow deals 50% damage, this hit should slow down the victim since half of the life has gone. then you need to get in and finish off the victim and not run after her for three kilometers. if the first arrow flies by and the animal notices it then there is logic in it. then the animal should run away at maximum speed.

I tend to agree especially if we will have bigger fleeing creatures. Hunting with a shortbow right is a huge pain which it shouldn´t be IMO.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
I tend to agree especially if we will have bigger fleeing creatures. Hunting with a shortbow right is a huge pain which it shouldn´t be IMO.
Very true, that, the choppyness in their movement and erratic behaviour is the only downsides atm.

And higher HP animals comes to mind to being horrible to hunt if they share the behaviour.

Reactions: Svaar