Fleeing creatures!

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
Really glad to see they are going this direction with the prey type animals.

I honestly liked it that way in the first game and was disappointed when they changed to suicidal boks.

This is far superior out the gate though.

Reactions: Vagrant

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
It needs a bit of tuning and an actual plan in its behavior, meaning it needs to run somewhere and only stop running when it feels safe or is trying to hide(adding more towards tracking gameplay when hunting animals that run away). But other than that, its much better than MO1. Hopefully the AI will be able to react to things happening a lot further away too, I find that if you snipe them from really far away they have vastly different reaction.

Another thing is that the AI is omnipotent when you attack it, even if it didn't hear or see you it knows exactly where you are attacking from and runs straight away from you, If it doesn't know where you are it should run pretty much where its facing, and if that is towards you it should change once it detects you. But that is just my opinion. Makes positioning and stalking much more important.

Reactions: Amadman and Vagrant

Vagrant

Oct 8, 2020
no fixed address
agree with you both, they're much improved and fun, i managed to chase a few in to an area they couldn't climb away easily and first shots seem to put them in mercy mode to allow finishing off if you're quick. otherwise it did feel like positioning and stalking didn't make much of a difference, i also felt like i should be able to 'sneak' or 'crouch' while stalking, otherwise a great start indeed !

Reactions: Amadman

Rhias

May 28, 2020
I like the new AI.
No walking through walls.
No running up steep hills/cliffs.

For a first version it's fine.

But some polishment is needed. I noticed that in narrow area AI starts to run in circles. Also sometimes they start to walk in circles around trees.
They seem to have no idle animation when they stand still.
Sometimes when they start fleeing they run away from you, stop, and then run a few meters towards you to just to flee again...
And then they sometimes get stuck on top of hills...

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
i seen one that spawned in on top of one of the little flat rocks. i guess it couldnt path off the rock so it ran around frantically til dead

-barcode

• Haha
Reactions: Garfielf and Xunila

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
You bring up good points.
I am one of the guys who didnt like fleeing mobs in MO1, and unless that trend stops now for prey animals its great.

Hunting should be challenging on getting close and if startling them to track them down.
So far im dreading hunting bigger animals than Boks because of the MO trend of HP vs Dmg, if you have fleeing mobs, they should not be HP based combat styled but target based.
That means one heart, lung, throat and headshots be one hit kills. Leg hits significantly reduce fleeing animals speed and less retarded behaviour, like running in circles, erratic movement within 2m radius, running back and forth or running into object and getting stuck.

But most importantly is the whole HP vs Dmg and fleeing vs aggressive behaviour imo.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
One gripe I have with the boks is that they tend to run a rather short distance when spotting the player and stop. That is fine, but they should keep running after they see the player moving again and then be "gone".

Currently they are behaving like very old, very suicidal deer.

I do like the movement in general. I agree with @ThaBadMan that it should be more target focused because shooting and tracking alces or razorbacks, to only do that 5 times in a row might get old quickly.

Or gives us hunting arrows (broadheads basically) that deal a bleeding effect on prey animals (not in PvP) with blood splatter and them dieing after a minute.

Reactions: ThaBadMan

Apsalar

May 31, 2020
First thing to develop with fleeing Animals is the speed reduction due to damage in particular body parts. Springbok with an Arrow in the shoulder should stutter to move after first initial meters of sprint due to imminent bleeding and pain. Also we should remove mercy mode from Animals and add random flee or fight decision when on low life and unable to flee animal will decide to fight.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
Good stuff so far.

I also did not like how they always flee directly away.

And having specific areas to hit for more effective kills as suggested would be awesome.

It is a good start that surely needs some tweaking. Hopefully SV can use some of the ideas being discussed here and elsewhere here to make it even better.

Rhodri_Taliesin

May 29, 2020
Wandering the road
First thing to develop with fleeing Animals is the speed reduction due to damage in particular body parts. Springbok with an Arrow in the shoulder should stutter to move after first initial meters of sprint due to imminent bleeding and pain. Also we should remove mercy mode from Animals and add random flee or fight decision when on low life and unable to flee animal will decide to fight.

Ever done much hunting? You can hit a deer with a rifle round and those suckers can bolt pretty far; Well past a brush or tree line and out of sight. That's where tracking comes into play, to look for signs like blood, tracks, loose hair, and disturbed foliage to find where it ran off to until it dropped. Now imagine how the arrow or a crossbow bolt will work. That's not to say those methods are not effective in hunting, they most certainly are, there's just more too it than that.

Simply "hitting them in the shoulder" doesn't immediately slow and cripple the bastards, they are surprisingly tough. Just saying as someone who actually hunts it's not far off the beaten path of expectations.

Apsalar

May 31, 2020
Ever done much hunting? You can hit a deer with a rifle round and those suckers can bolt pretty far; Well past a brush or tree line and out of sight. That's where tracking comes into play, to look for signs like blood, tracks, loose hair, and disturbed foliage to find where it ran off to until it dropped. Now imagine how the arrow or a crossbow bolt will work. That's not to say those methods are not effective in hunting, they most certainly are, there's just more too it than that.

Simply "hitting them in the shoulder" doesn't immediately slow and cripple the bastards, they are surprisingly tough. Just saying as someone who actually hunts it's not far off the beaten path of expectations.
Thanks for your input, in fact I never been on a hunting. But do you want to chase less than 1 Gold coin through woods?

Vagrant

Oct 8, 2020
no fixed address
you can also take them down with one shot in a real hunt too, all sorts of variables in real life with bullet vs arrow that probably wouldn't work out, oddly in-game i've had quite a few in mercy mode but they come out of it soon enough and bounce off again full of life in no time.
i can't imagine anyone getting close enough to tame anything with the kind of skittish pathing the boks have either so i'm guessing that wont be a thing

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
They are pretty wonky, to be honest. I often hit them twice with my sword but instead of dying they stay at 1hp and I have to hit them 2 more times before they die and then their body keeps running after they are dead on the ground and they don't drop loot (though someone in help chat said the bag spawns 10 meters away back the direction they sprint from, didn't get to check because they were all dead already and I had walked on.) This probably happened with slightly more than 1/2 of them.

Rhodri_Taliesin

May 29, 2020
Wandering the road
Thanks for your input, in fact I never been on a hunting. But do you want to chase less than 1 Gold coin through woods?
I understand your point and how it can be frustrating. It's the difference between suicide boks and lifelike creatures. Prey animals like springboks flee rather than fight, if they fight it will usually be with each other during a rutting season.

Last edited:

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Except no one will want any of the materials from them when the other creatures are put into the game.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Its either or. I remember when the fleeing behaviour got patched in MO, it took no time and it was reverted based on feedback. Noone is gonna hunt animals thats not worth the time it takes.

The problem lies with the AI in the game being too poor to successfully manage a hunting game esque animals. MO mobs are far too choppy in their movement and brain capacity. Until AI is up to par I dont see fleeing mobs working as anything other than frustration for players.

If it takes 10 times the time it took to gain the same amount of resources from animals in MO2 compared to MO then imo resource output should also be 10 times higher.
I am all for realistic hunting that takes some time, but it needs to be worth it.

Reactions: Rorry

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Its either or. I remember when the fleeing behaviour got patched in MO, it took no time and it was reverted based on feedback. Noone is gonna hunt animals thats not worth the time it takes.

The problem lies with the AI in the game being too poor to successfully manage a hunting game esque animals. MO mobs are far too choppy in their movement and brain capacity. Until AI is up to par I dont see fleeing mobs working as anything other than frustration for players.

If it takes 10 times the time it took to gain the same amount of resources from animals in MO2 compared to MO then imo resource output should also be 10 times higher.
I am all for realistic hunting that takes some time, but it needs to be worth it.
They did increase the amount of carcass quite a bit. Looks like the materials will sell for 2-3g per animal which might be something a newb would do if they get killed by players in the gy a lot.

Reactions: ThaBadMan