Elementalism - Magery

Wilhelm Windlicht

Aug 18, 2023
It looks like currently the only Way to play a Mage is getting a Weapon and Heavy Armor, or a Bow and a Horse or be a Tamer.

Everyone and every NPC/Animal ist getting very fast in close combat - as a Mage there is nothing you can do.

Unarmed would be an Option, at least you re able to cast - but unarmed Blocking doesen`t work, still getting Damage.

Using a Weapon means no Spellcasting, means it need Time to draw and as a Mage with no Strenght it does no Damage.
At least you are able to block your enemy (who can hit you with his Axe for 100+ Damage every second) while praying someone comes to help.

Interrupting: even with 100 concentration you get interrupted 30% , that means 60% with 2 Bandits hitting you. No Point in trying to cast a Spell if anything is close

Elementalism: You re a easy Prey anyway forced to fight on Foot. You are easy flagged grey with someone running in your Spell, You harm your Allies and Yourself with your Spells (combine this with every NPC running very fast very close...)

Casting 2-3 seconds to push someone away who needs half a second to close the Distance again?
Spending 4 seconds to Cast a Wall which lasts for 2 seconds?

On Top of that you need Mana - currently after ~5 Spells it is Time for Dagger and Praying anyway

So please take a closer Look at unarmed Blocking, Casting Times, Interrupting and the Mechaniks why a lot of Spells are mostly useless. Also at Game Balance with Armor, Mana Regen, Spell Damage, Mana Pool and Melee Weapon / Bow Damage and Range

At Least most of the Spell Animations look nice :)

sorry for my bad English

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
Throwing stones on walking deads is pretty fast and works nice for a single player elementalist. But everything else is questionable. It seems mages are more like supporters in group fights but not standing in the front.

Melhisedek

Dec 3, 2021
Tindrem
Mages should be an independent combat unit.

Footsoldier - "peace guys im gunna go solo kill some risars!"

Mage- " ok.. well i guess il just log out then"
mages are servants for heavily armored knights, should treat them and ward off flies and bees

DarkWizz

Mar 13, 2023
You just don't know how to cook them :)
I clean out any bandit camp (I can't kill only the archer's mini boss yet).
I play on a fat magician elementalist man (s10/d44/c65/i134 /p109).
On the issue of damage to your elementalism - gift "Tactician" to help you

Xrayce

Sep 26, 2023
it would be very strange and ridiculous if the magicians were an independent combat unit
and why exactly is that "strange"?

being entirely dependant on others in pve doesnt seem like good game design. you don't always have somebody around to play with, so if you wanted to play without a pet as mage you only can do so while riding and/or as described by Xunila throwing rocks at them (or yeah use your dagger), so not very appealing to play a mage if you want to be selfsufficient (too). Not everybody, especially newcomers, have multiple accounts.

Zerginfestor

Jul 26, 2023
it would be very strange and ridiculous if the magicians were an independent combat unit
Since when? Even in DnD, a kitted out wizard is perfectly capable of handling most encounters on their own, and god help the DM when they reach lvl 12 and gain access to 6th level spells, since it only gets even more insane from there. Just about every fantasy themed setting, Mages are considered extremely dangerous and even on their own with some experience can make them a huge threat since you know, they're perfectly capable of casting spells while on the move. Then seeing a full fledge Wizard is practically a demigod, where knights serve them at every moment. Hell, they probably fire the knights to just use reanimated armor to do their bidding and dirty work.

Doom and Gloom

Mar 12, 2022
Yep, the total lack of design direction and uselessness of magery solo killed the experience for me for the most part. You didn't even mention the ridiculously expensive and rare reagents which you will lose when you die so have fun casting one spell and back to farming.

And I sadly see no changes in this design anywhere in the future.

Presul

Apr 26, 2022
From my experience, elementalism packs a punch and rewards those that land the spells, especially in AoE. If you can max range and cast, you can clear most things before it even reaches you or has a chance to fight back. If it gets the jump on you though it's a completely different story. Options are to be a fat mage and do a crapload of damage before the mob reaches you or be an alvarin to put distance between you and the mob to keep landing spells. Maybe another fix would be to make Daggers a secondary and under Daggers make a weakspot mastery that is a primary. This way everyone in the game can uses daggers when you need to melee, but builds around daggers would take the primary under it. Without the primary the chance to weakspot would be 0.

Goremor

Feb 20, 2021
Reagents need a lot of gold, so will be nice if mage can do normal PVE, with out pet (pets too are weak, but this is another topic)

Weis

Jun 1, 2022
Everyone and every NPC/Animal ist getting very fast in close combat - as a Mage there is nothing you can do.

I currently run an Obese mage that I spec'd 100 Daggers into, no blocking or combat maneuvering but I can parry and kill most pets which is a godsend. Cuprum Dagger to the face is an easy way to SOLO turtles, Terror Birds, and some other pets. Most outlaw spawns I have higher damage output by dismounting and stabbing the outlaws. in the face so long as there arent more than two melee on you.

Wilhelm Windlicht

Aug 18, 2023
I currently run an Obese mage that I spec'd 100 Daggers into, no blocking or combat maneuvering but I can parry and kill most pets which is a godsend. Cuprum Dagger to the face is an easy way to SOLO turtles, Terror Birds, and some other pets. Most outlaw spawns I have higher damage output by dismounting and stabbing the outlaws. in the face so long as there arent more than two melee on you.

But you are fighting as a foot Soldier with a Melee Weapon then, not casting Spells as a Mage.
Magery works as a side Skill either as Tamer with a Pet, Melee with Weapon and Armor, with a Bow on a Horse - but playing a pure Mage (light Armor, bare Hands and your Spellbook) doesent work in PvE (and in most PvP Situation also not very well). If you were in a Melee Build solo you would kill Terrorbirds and Stuff even faster as with your Dagger alone

Midas

Feb 25, 2022
But you are fighting as a foot Soldier with a Melee Weapon then, not casting Spells as a Mage.
Magery works as a side Skill either as Tamer with a Pet, Melee with Weapon and Armor, with a Bow on a Horse - but playing a pure Mage (light Armor, bare Hands and your Spellbook) doesent work in PvE (and in most PvP Situation also not very well). If you were in a Melee Build solo you would kill Terrorbirds and Stuff even faster as with your Dagger alone
ahh finaly someone has admitted to understandaing and observing the difference between a hybrid build and a pure intellect build.

Currently a full intellect build is not viable for sustainable pve or pve without pets.

unfortunatly for people like myself who think pets are lame , we have no viable way of running a pure intellect build.

Hopefully this will be fixed with staff magic in the future. I made a suggestion on the forums awhile back however it has recieved backlash from people who dont wanto see improvement in the combat mechanics in the game. https://www.mortalonline2.com/forums/threads/pure-mage-vs-pure-footie.10957/

Wilhelm Windlicht

Aug 18, 2023
0% interc
ahh finaly someone has admitted to understandaing and observing the difference between a hybrid build and a pure intellect build.

Currently a full intellect build is not viable for sustainable pve or pve without pets.

unfortunatly for people like myself who think pets are lame , we have no viable way of running a pure intellect build.

Hopefully this will be fixed with staff magic in the future. I made a suggestion on the forums awhile back however it has recieved backlash from people who dont wanto see improvement in the combat mechanics in the game. https://www.mortalonline2.com/forums/threads/pure-mage-vs-pure-footie.10957/
0% Interruption with 100 concentration, able to block with unarmed blocking and a bit Spell casting times and Mana Pool Balancing and a pure Mage build would be working for pve. Some Kind of Mage Weapons like Staff or a Mage Dagger which allow casting and blocking would be a great addiction too

Midas

Feb 25, 2022
0% interc

0% Interruption with 100 concentration, able to block with unarmed blocking and a bit Spell casting times and Mana Pool Balancing and a pure Mage build would be working for pve. Some Kind of Mage Weapons like Staff or a Mage Dagger which allow casting and blocking would be a great addiction too
that link i attached is a direct solution to this problem. it removes the issue caused by momentum allows a skill based block and attack. wich has a balanced risk vs reward.