Dual wield

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
as requested by seb, some discussion on dual wielding and how it can work in MO2 since it was garbage in MO1

in most games (and D&D even as well) dual wield offers more total damage at a cost of a greater miss chance. MO doesnt really have the concept of a miss chance; if you miss or not is determined by skill not die roll. perhaps you could charge and attack with both weapons, but instead your damage bonus is decreased significantly to compensate.

so if a weapon does X damage normally, perhaps dual wielding it would cause each weapon to do 2/3 X damage for a total of 4/3 X damage on a hit. downside would be the extra stamina drain from using two weapons and no chance for a shield for added equipment hits while stuck with 1h weapon range.

in reality, dual wield wasnt really used this way, at least not so far as i know. I think the offhand weapons were mostly used for defense like a parrying dagger or main gauge. I'm not a history buff so I cant really say too much about it. Added defense would mean being able to attack while having some backup for defense at the same time, perhaps causing equipment hits while you have a swing charged. seems pretty weak tho since a shield would be far better suited for such a purpose.

also possibility is the ability to attack at the same time as parrying, which again i think is more historically accurate. in this case you would charge a swing and can parry with the offhand, allowing for an unblockable counterattack. would have to be some severe stamina penalties for this and perhaps delays on the parry weapon so you cant parry indefinitely.

-barcode

D

Dracu

Heres my 2cents:

Switching between the 2 active weapons instantly:

You have two weapons in hand and can choose per button click which of the 2 weapons zou want to use.

For example a axe and a dagger.
Click a button you are now using the axe, click again you are now using the dagger.

While one weapon is active the other hand goes passive and doesnt do anything untill switched to it.

This would give the advantage to use the weapon best suited for the given situation and beeing able to adjust instantly. Aswell as keep the opponent uncertain what attack with which weapon comes next. Ofcourse at the cost of having to run with 2 weapons.

I know this is not the best irl use of dual wield but for a game this might be actually fair.

This would atleast be not OP or gibe an insane advantage. Also the button can be used if future changes to alternate weapon handling comes in like changing grip on the weapon and stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rhias

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
as requested by seb, some discussion on dual wielding and how it can work in MO2 since it was garbage in MO1

in most games (and D&D even as well) dual wield offers more total damage at a cost of a greater miss chance. MO doesnt really have the concept of a miss chance; if you miss or not is determined by skill not die roll. perhaps you could charge and attack with both weapons, but instead your damage bonus is decreased significantly to compensate.

so if a weapon does X damage normally, perhaps dual wielding it would cause each weapon to do 2/3 X damage for a total of 4/3 X damage on a hit. downside would be the extra stamina drain from using two weapons and no chance for a shield for added equipment hits while stuck with 1h weapon range.

in reality, dual wield wasnt really used this way, at least not so far as i know. I think the offhand weapons were mostly used for defense like a parrying dagger or main gauge. I'm not a history buff so I cant really say too much about it. Added defense would mean being able to attack while having some backup for defense at the same time, perhaps causing equipment hits while you have a swing charged. seems pretty weak tho since a shield would be far better suited for such a purpose.

also possibility is the ability to attack at the same time as parrying, which again i think is more historically accurate. in this case you would charge a swing and can parry with the offhand, allowing for an unblockable counterattack. would have to be some severe stamina penalties for this and perhaps delays on the parry weapon so you cant parry indefinitely.

-barcode
Yeah defensive offhand would be cool I’d like it to be something like this.

Only real concern is the huge illumination advantage with a torch dual wield spec if it’s too easy to only use say a 1h sledgehammer with torch.

your idea could work pretty well to nerf the dmg since torch is low dmg.

Last edited:

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
Duel wielding!! Ill just make a mini list of thing i think would be cool to see in MO2. It may be a bit ambitious, but hey they ask ill shoot high!

Basic Requirements: Of the idea of dual wielding it takes 2 one handed weapons. So both weapons together would go against your overall str.
Example: You have 80 strength each weapon would have to be 40 str. 30-50, 20-60 ect..

How it works: Now we are talking two different weapons and I would love to see both of them used in the swing actions. Left hand being the Left click and Right hand being the Right click. This would require everyone who uses dual wielding to use a different blocking method. I was just thinking that if block was switched to a key+mouse movement. Then a player could swing with either side however they like and keep a fairly simple way of blocking. Also with it this way a players could have different types of dual striking actions and even triple strikes that could be added in later to make up the dual wielding dances. I think the action moves should be the highest in both damage and stam drain. Although they would be quicker than swinging both weapons at once.

Damage: For as far as damage goes. I would suggest when using dual weapons overall damage drops by 25% on the hit. BUT!! Lets say a player a player clicks both left and right click, both weapons would charge up to whatever side that was chosen and hit for seperate damage. During the swing they would be a slight delay (.4 secs. idk though ) between each weapons hit as they make contact. Also making the swing overall slower as you swing two blades ( maybe add 20% of the overall weight of the weapons combined ), this also goes for stam, it would drain additional 50% stam drain when using both weapons to swing.
Example: Player swings one hand only does 25% less than normal damage. Player swings with both weapons has 50% more stam drain, slower swing, separated damage between weapons and total damage of 150% if both make contact. Blocking stam would be kept the same as normal.

Not sure if i missed anything special about dual wielding that would be needed imo. Would love to see some other ideas on this subject!

-Phen

Reactions: Teknique

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Left weapon: overhead & left swing
Right weapon: thurst and right swing

Dual strike:
After an attack with one weapon, a second attack can be done with the other weapon.
The second attack does not need to be charged, and can be triggered instantly (similar to parry).
It takes over the charging from the first attack.
If the first attack was fully charged, the second will do the damage of a full charged attack.
If the first attack was half charged, the second will do the damage of a half charged attack.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Right, just woke up and ready to be the dual wielding grinch.

I think your off hand should be limited to torches, shields and wands/books/whatever SV wants to implement later on. No proper weapons.
I think the amount of problems in implementation the dual wield causes is not worth the cool factor. It´s not something that is easy to make look cool and believeable. Balancing is a nightmare.

For example if you are allowed to queue hits that would exagerate the problem of spamming and lack of timing. I don´t think two 40 strength requirement weapons are similar to a wep with 80 in terms of total damage. Being able to mix damage types makes all weapon combinations harder to balance.

Since I´ll probably stand alone on this here is my suggestion:

Right swing attacks with right hand weapon, left swing with left hand weapon. Middle attack stabs with left hand. The overhead is replaced with a slashing attack with both weapons with reduced swing speed and increased stamina drain.

Blocking works the same as with one weapon but it costs 15 stamina. (between normal and shield)

Right clicking on a "true" weapon always switches the main hand. To equip an offhand weapon you need to drag it into that slot. Torches and shields always go into the offhand slot with a right click.

So yes, basically it makes them not super exiting and uses the same control scheme and fundamentals. To balance them against other options you have to have them follow similar rules.

Gonna have my second coffee now.

Devonys

Oct 9, 2020
Mortal 1 DID have such penalties for dual wielding. The swing was different and thus you had exactly what you proposed, a higher chance of missing. Damage reduction was again, exactly as you proposed, a 2/3 from the original. The advantage for going dual wielding was the Dual Strike skill.