Dexterity.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Well those 6 dudes would never win a fight head on with a fighter + mage group, so as long as your group stays tight and they cant pick stragglers they wont be able to do much either.

I think its good that a scroaching or guerrilla playstyle is viable as a way to fight against zergs, this isnt an arena game where the has to be a clear cut winner so the round can end after all.

If Group A loses a head on fight against a pure Veela group they would get rolled in pretty much any other scenario anyways.
I agree with this so long as the integrity of the game is maintained.

People moving 3% faster than they should?

bring the mounteds, the zergs and the bows then thats better gameplay.

Reactions: MolagAmur

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I tried playing an alvarin hybrid, and now a human paladin, but it's hard to feel good about it when a 121 strength character shoots me in the head for 50 through my ironbone, and also dismounts and chases me down with a spear.

StreamerLord

Dec 2, 2020
The dex curve is SV anti cheat technology anyone moving noticeably faster then anyone else is clearly speed hacking.

• Haha
Reactions: Vergil

Archiel

Apr 5, 2021
It was a large fight that ended with me being chased, i cant remember if this was during nostam bow era or before it. There was a lot of chaos on top and only 2-3 got close enough (and ofc swung at me wich makes me win the stam battle) No noobs, was probably one of the server zergs at the time.

Was just an example that i could remember decently. There was probably 100s of situations like this in mo1 and most ppl probably encountered it,

Point is scale this up to like 6 dudes with crossheals and falldamage reduction, fuck u suposed to do against that other than just be "meh fuck this" when you are not a veela.

I guess the answer is "just play veela duh" which leads back to speed is king and less diversity unless u intentionally want to play gimped.
If "speed was king" and Veela was so OP why were there 15 non veelas chasing you?

Vergil

May 1, 2021
There's only 2 builds right now

mage

or

oghmir
I'd say, its either oghmir or oghmir mage. Dex mages are pointless.

Tbh, once fighters stick to you - you're dead. You can't even break out fast enough as a Veela / Veela. Speed atm is just a utility stat.
This is a problem, because it leads to more braindead "zerg up" state of the game. Not sure if anyone would be happy in a long run with this.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
If there is a strong frontline build that is meaningfully faster than the rest, it will become the race everyone plays. We already have people willing to argue Khurites are the best human race because it's 1.7% faster than Kallards despite being the same or weaker in every other stat except jump height to a degree that a Kallard has something like a 12% advantage in a head-to-head fight between increased health and damage. And like 70% of humans are actually playing Khurite. Imagine if 1.7% got buffed to a number that actually meant something.

That being said. Veela aren't strong anymore. They were strong. But somewhere between speed loss, other race's clade gifts working/now being amazing, and hybrids being deleted a viable playstyle they just aren't anymore.

That's why I think Veela speedgifts need a buff at this point. Something along the lines of +3-5% speed per gift (So +6-10% total). This makes sense when you consider how weak they are at any role compared to the meta builds of that role.

As far as other builds go, no I wouldn't like to see dex make them much faster. Nor would I like to see Dex more loaded onto an RNG bonus. Dex needs a good, constantly active bonuses that make it flat better.

I suggest two:

1. Increased damage from behind as a replacement to weakspot chance (Darkfall did this so I'm sure MO2 can pull it off)
2. Some kind of bonus to mounted builds such as increased dismount resist (As currently, dex is useless to mounted builds)

Last edited:

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
If there is a strong frontline build that is meaningfully faster than the rest, it will become the race everyone plays. We already have people willing to argue Khurites are the best human race because it's 1.7% faster than Kallards despite being the same or weaker in every other stat except jump height to a degree that a Kallard has something like a 12% advantage in a head-to-head fight between increased health and damage.

People argue all kinds of nonsense and run sub optimal builds all the time. That´s why going by numbers is a terrible idea. Just because 70% run khurites does not mean they are good. They are certainly viable, but then they were viable in MO1. Just not optimal.

To emphasize the point of the OP: I ran a khurite footfighter/MA around awakening and till the "new" dex curve was introduced and it worked well. The difference to Thur/Khurs was big enough to matter while keeping frontline capabilities and strength high enough for bows.

Khurites right now are objectively worse than what I ran back in the day compared to their competion.

With the old dexterity curve they would have a place again. And with bows in the current state, other mounts and MC incoming I don´t see the problem with fast alvarin.

Last edited:

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I agree that we shouldn't overestimate the strength of a build just because a lot of people play it. But it also is a strong indicator of what people value. People REALLY value speed. And to a certain degree I understand why. I myself have many times said something to the effect of "Speed and stealth are the two most powerful things you can have in an open world setting."

The two things those mechanics have in common is the ability to force fights you do want, and avoid fights you don't. Like, I don't care how strong Teknique's Ohg build is once I have enough of a speed advantage (theoretically speaking obviously as we aren't enemies in-game). Because I'm only going to engage it if he's outnumbered. Sure he can beat me 100% of the time in 1v1s but if I can beat him in a 2v1 and break away easily if things aren't going my way, I'm cool with that. I would never allow him to 1v1 when the stakes are high because I have the choice not to, where he would have no option to escape me when I want to press a fight. That's a huge reason Harbingers is going to be a cav only guild once mounted melee and mount armor make it in.

A 1.7% speed advantage with no stam advantage is so small that a Kallard who is slightly better at picking paths could beat a Khurite in a footrace on anything but perfectly flat terrain. And I don't mean world-class racer Kallard vs. newb Khurite, I mean any Kallard who is slightly better. Meanwhile the Khurite has to be moderately better to consistently overcome the 12% advantage a Kallard has in a head-to-head fight. Turn that speed advantage into a real/strong advantage though, and it suddenly makes sense why everyone wants to play Khurite.

I like the idea of Alvarin getting major speed to weigh out all the downsides they have and make them the ultimate diver/flanker/harasser build for foot-fighters. I really don't like the idea of speed being much bigger of a factor sub-Alvarin when we know, real or perceived advantage it will absolutely kill build diversity.

Last edited:

Finnley

Jul 8, 2020
The problem is that you can not double tap anymore, in MO1 if you got stickied your speed did not get you out of sticky range either, double tab did and once you where out of sticky range only then your speed advantage really kicked in. Not beeing able to disengage easily ruins it for speed builds.

Last edited:

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
The problem is that you can not double tap anymore, in MO1 if you got stickied your speed did not get you out of sticky range either, double tab did and once you where out of sticky range only then your speed advantage really kicked in. Not beeing able to disengage easily ruins it for speed builds.

This is something I really miss on my mage. I'd love to see something similar to this put back in.

Reactions: Vergil and Rorry

strycio

Apr 1, 2021
Why should all fights end with one side dying? Why is it such a bad thing that a group gets to run away with their tails tucked between their legs?

Well retreating was obviously invented by kiters and never was a thing in warfare xD

• Haha
Reactions: Bloodterst

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Dex needs a buff for sure. Its least desirable stat to stack right now.
Speed doesn't need to be MO1 level of dex, just good enough to prevent sticking. and have some extra mechanics that do benefit your character when building lots of dex.

(Perhaps it should also grant stamina, or smth, to be able to break out)
That's why I always max psy on my fighter and drop dex. :D