DEAR SV,

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Why make us sign an agreement that is subject to change for something that is not yet implemented? Are you implying that sub is coming soon? I don't think your player base will support that.

I'm not thirsty for MO, but I tried to log in and actually read this stuff, which starts "when you play," but ends "when you subscribe..." it's like I'm not saying OK to that atm. Can someone please answer as to why we have to do this? I mean, without the sub stuff, it's all good for me. The sub stuff is almost interwoven, but it's a clause I dislike, when we don't even know when the sub is coming, etc. Why worry about it?

Edit: I also implore SV to explain why we should trust them with our address and such. I thought we were going thru steam because of their inability to secure their own stuff. B EZ. Steam has my stuff, they've kept it relatively safe. If I log into MO thru that steam acct, you can be assured IT'S YABOY.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Gotta get all my kills in before sub starts, I'm gone the second it does. With my crap gimped character because I don't feel like re getting my clade gifts after rerolling because its just boring tedium and takes too long and I shouldn't have to do it again. 90% sure the player who killed me last night wasn't exactly playing 'fair'. World is still 90% empty. Definitely not worth a sub.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
What is new in the TOS? Didnt bother to read it.

Just stuff about how you're gonna have to manually cancel your sub @ MortalOnline2.com and how you are bound to provide NO FALSE INFORMATION. It makes sense, in a lot of ways, but otoh, paying thru pay pal and giving false info to MO is kind of how you keep from being DOX'D. Now that there is steam, I don't understand why it can't be thru steam so we don't have to worry about security. I figured it would be like a button on steam page haha "buy a month, 3 month, etc."

As far as I know, SV doesn't even have my billing info, and if they did, I didn't give it to them! They got the money, tho. I used bitcoin, nah, but most of it is normie EULA stuff and I wouldn't have read it, either, if it wasn't talking about how the sub is going to continue until you cancel it on the 'first page.' WHICH IS NORMAL, but like I said I always ran my stuff so it couldn't be renewed. I would re-up manually. But now I don't see why we can't pay thru steam. I certainly am not planning on subbing to this game as it is, but even if I did, I would prefer to do it thru steam or a secure 3rd party (not even sure about paypal tbh, but seems better than raw giving to MO site.)

And it was either due to poor proofreading or it was intentional, that the opening agreement was "when you play," and the ending said, "when you sub" as an interchangeable phrase. I can read it again, cuz I didn't 'agree,' yet, was actually hoping for a proper answer, but this forum is EVEN MORE DEAD THAN USUAL.

Why sign up to say what you're gonna do when you sub when sub hasn't started, shouldn't be starting any time soon, and the terms could change? Why not just wait? I don't understand it, but as I said in a post looong before I said all my f the mods I'm not coming to this place bla bla.... if I were SV, I would keep from mentioning the word SUB other than on their steam page to explain why there is no sub atm.

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
Just stuff about how you're gonna have to manually cancel your sub @ MortalOnline2.com and how you are bound to provide NO FALSE INFORMATION.

They'r doing a stealth sub just like in MO1. Only a fool would trust their personal info to SV.

• Haha
Reactions: Albanjo Dravae

Recon

Jun 21, 2020
The reason it can't be through Steam is they will take 30% from the sub as well... so they lose money... They take 30% from sales.... so i'm sure this is a huge part of why... I wouldn't either, but they can do better with security there is plenty of payment systems that is secure that even SV does not get access to , they just get the $$$$...

Running an MMORPG is not cheap ... SO I understand it fully. They need to make sure they use a good service, to handle sub payments, which they can, with out them seeing your info...

The manually stop sub, is lazy behavior though.. and a bit shady.. I hate when companies do that, I wouldn't and I don't for anything I make or run for my own company.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
The manually stop sub, is lazy behavior though.. and a bit shady.. I hate when companies do that, I wouldn't and I don't for anything I make or run for my own company.
I think if I had to manually log in and renew my sub every month it would be unnecessarily tedious unless I specifically plan on playing one month and then giving it a break like I do with EVE Online. My sub auto-renewal is permanently turned off for that game.

But considering that I plan on playing MO2 for the long-term and don't mind supporting SV with my measly 14 usd per month, the sub auto-renewal feature works just fine for me.

I think the sub auto-renewal gives players more control and choice, so I wouldn't exactly call it lazy or shady. Just log into the account and tick or untick the option one-time and you're good.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
Are you saying they are going to charge everyone a sub fee who bought the game if they don't manually go onto their accounts and cancel it before the free month ends?

If they do that......

Bigbadwolff

Mar 29, 2021
wait what? is sub-ing in? that means beat mastery is implemented?
I dont really know what happening in MO2 i haveing so much fun in Albion :coffee: :unsure:

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I think if I had to manually log in and renew my sub every month it would be unnecessarily tedious unless I specifically plan on playing one month and then giving it a break like I do with EVE Online. My sub auto-renewal is permanently turned off for that game.

But considering that I plan on playing MO2 for the long-term and don't mind supporting SV with my measly 14 usd per month, the sub auto-renewal feature works just fine for me.

I think the sub auto-renewal gives players more control and choice, so I wouldn't exactly call it lazy or shady. Just log into the account and tick or untick the option one-time and you're good.

sub is standard practice auto-renew, but most of us bought thru steam. At least at some point we picked up a steam acct. And as I said paypal. So, how is SV going to auto renew? They aren't, they can't. They never could before for me, either. I got auto renewed once (on a 3 month too LOL) and I was pisssssed. I was like CAN WE CHANGE TO 1 MONTH??? And they were like NO.

I'm more concerned about SV requiring our info and wanting us to log into their prol low security site to do sub stuff when I was sure it would be thru steam. I recall hearing something about how they were using steam to keep things more secure.

As said, tho, maybe it's just a poor copy paste with 2 put after mortal online 2.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
@Robmo please @Henrik about this issue. This is an important one. Let me phrase it simply for non-native speakers.

We, the player base, would like to know why we are required to sign a EULA that promises to put info on a site of a company that has been massively breached before. I understand the sub thing, but let us get you the money, you worry about the rest.

THINK ABOUT THIS: WE DID WELL ENOUGH PROVING WE WERE WHO WE WERE TO GET SOMEONE TO GIVE YOU MONEY.

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
@Robmo please @Henrik about this issue. This is an important one. Let me phrase it simply for non-native speakers.

We, the player base, would like to know why we are required to sign a EULA that promises to put info on a site of a company that has been massively breached before. I understand the sub thing, but let us get you the money, you worry about the rest.

THINK ABOUT THIS: WE DID WELL ENOUGH PROVING WE WERE WHO WE WERE TO GET SOMEONE TO GIVE YOU MONEY.
Wanna bet that as soon as subs get turned on SV will suddenly find a way to implement rerolls?

Reactions: Deleted member 44

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com

While I won't excuse or trivialise the data breaches that occurred on the old Mortal account management website in the past, I will point out that Steam itself has been breached back in 2011 and reportedly on several more occasions since then.

We can rag on SV's failures all day, but data breaches aren't rare these days. Here in Australia, we recently had a data breach on one of our major telco companies. These breaches are probably more common across the board than we might know or think.

My point is, while we might paint Steam as some sort of impregnable fortress, the reality may be that unwavering vigilance and good security precautions are the best defence we have as far as account users are concerned.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
We can rag on SV's failures all day, but data breaches aren't rare these days. Here in Australia, we recently had a data breach on one of our major telco companies. These breaches are probably more common across the board than we might know or think.

My point is, while we might paint Steam as some sort of impregnable fortress, the reality may be that unwavering vigilance and good security precautions are the best defence we have as far as account users are concerned.
Lastpass got hacked recently. Everyone says use a password manager so you can make good secure passwords. Then the password manager gets hacked lmao. I was safer putting all my passwords in a google sheet and hoping my gmail doenst get hacked. so I can't blame SV too bad for the hack. The issue was the info that was able to be stolen. Most places things are significantly more encrypted I believe.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
Lastpass got hacked recently. Everyone says use a password manager so you can make good secure passwords. Then the password manager gets hacked lmao. I was safer putting all my passwords in a google sheet and hoping my gmail doenst get hacked. so I can't blame SV too bad for the hack. The issue was the info that was able to be stolen. Most places things are significantly more encrypted I believe.
Yeah I shy away from using online password managers for that reason. Mine is completely local on an usb thumb drive that's password-protected and then stored inside an encrypted virtual storage file that will self-erase after 5 failed password attempts.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
While I won't excuse or trivialise the data breaches that occurred on the old Mortal account management website in the past, I will point out that Steam itself has been breached back in 2011 and reportedly on several more occasions since then.

I like you, man, and I like how you are doing work on the forum and posting seriously often, with a positive out look, too, without being a fanboy.

However, I feel like SV got spawn camped. There are people who wanna cash in on Steam because it's a huge thing. Think of all the people trying to do that. At some point, they would get something, right? It's all theoretically possible.

SV did not have one hack, they had multiple. They were at the mercy of (a?) hacker(s?) The point stands: why does it matter if I can get them the money thru pay pal or whatever. It works for everyone. I'm one of the people who prol would have at least subbed one acct when they do implement it, but I'm legit 1000% not going to put any info on SV's website. Ever. They would have to show me some kind of a security presentation to convince me.

Edit, just saw this:

Wanna bet that as soon as subs get turned on SV will suddenly find a way to implement rerolls?

haha, nah, slots!

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I really hope they offer options to use processing through steam and their website.

People that dare could still use the one from the sv website so SV makes more money.

And those that dont want to trust their info to sv could still sub at steam.

Sure SV would make less money on those that registered through steam.

But 70 percent is more than the zero percent they would get from those that would only sub through steam.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
Just stuff about how you're gonna have to manually cancel your sub @ MortalOnline2.com and how you are bound to provide NO FALSE INFORMATION. It makes sense, in a lot of ways, but otoh, paying thru pay pal and giving false info to MO is kind of how you keep from being DOX'D. Now that there is steam, I don't understand why it can't be thru steam so we don't have to worry about security. I figured it would be like a button on steam page haha "buy a month, 3 month, etc."

We can only expect this time SV does not leak all personal player information again.