Crafting Update does not work properly below 100?

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
Correct me if I am wrong but from what I understood about the update is that at 70 skill level for the crafting and material lores it should yield the proper results and at 100 it only gives increase to durability + naming + signature.

Some test results:
Animal Materials: 70 (Trained to, not effectively with attributes)
Weapon Crafting: 70 (Trained to, not effectively with attributes)
1H Hilt/2H Hilt Crafting: 70 (Trained to, not effectively with attributes)
Basic Blades Crafting: 70 (Trained to, not effectively with attributes)

Bone Tissue + Full Grain Leather + Bone Tissue spear = Poor Quality

Another test:
Animal Materials: 100

Bone Tissue + Full Grain Leather + Bone Tissue spear = Common Quality

A final test:

Metallurgy: 100
Weapon Crafting: 100
1H Hilt/2H Hilt Crafting: 70 (effective with attribute bonus)
Basic Blades Crafting: 100

Emalj + Full Grain Leather + Cuprum = Excellent Quality

Additionally, reducing your weapon crafting skill ALSO removes your Risar Weapon recipes that you have learned. Why this happens I have no idea. Leveling it back up returns the recipe. But anyway, it seems like the update does not work as described?

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
You haven't listed the weapon stats along with your tests, which is what you should be looking at. At 70 skill your weapon will be crap "quality" but have proper damage and weight stats, but low durability. The durability hit seems kind of hard to nail down and varies by material I think possibly

Kokolo

May 3, 2021
I didn't go testing this out, but isn't the 70 skill point only applicable to crafting and not lore? As in you still need to 100 the lore of materials to get the best stats. That is what I understood from the talk surrounding the topic, and I didn't play MO1 to know what it was like in that game.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Ye, you need 100 in all lores. 70 is only for crafting skills.
This.

But a different issue Is that I think that the dura loss is too great. Especially since when a weapon goes low enough dura its worthless.
Hopefully the repair system fixes the part where when a bow is 50% you just throw it away and similar with weapons.

This system seems like it would be great even with like a 20% dura reduction if repair was in the game. Right now its only worth for making trash weapons or putting points into stuff like shields.

At least the original system is still in game so we cant complain really because the 70 point system is optional.

I have done testing with bows and such and yest lore does effect the quality of the item you are making. Keep lore at 100.

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
And that's the issue. From the patch notes:

Added new crafting system

• Having your crafting skills and material skills above level 70 will now only impact the durability of the item you are making.
I forgot to double check the damage and weight on the trash spears I started churning out while I was trying to figure out which skills caused the issues (all of them) but even if the damage and weight remained the same, having all 70s should not yield "Poor Quality" which is not only visually misleading for new players but as mentioned above the huge loss in durability is insane. Weapons (especially spears which for some reason have awful durability) break very quickly with no way to repair them and armor above your animal materials is so resource intensive you'd have to be out of your mind to take that much durability loss.

The way it looks, you don't actually have the option to reduce all or even half of them to 70. You can pick ONE maybe TWO depending out of the numerous Weapon Crafting trees or Material Lore trees to reduce to 70 and the rest must stay 100 if you don't want to screw yourself.

None of this addresses the issue either that reducing your Weapon Crafting seems to disable Risar Weapon crafting which just makes no sense. I hope that's a bug.

Reactions: Jatix

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Having your crafting skills and material skills above level 70 will now only impact the durability of the item you are making.

Yeah looks like you are right. Prob a mistake rather then a bug. Maybe bother Henrik next time hes in discord to get a clarification on how its supposed to be.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
None of this addresses the issue either that reducing your Weapon Crafting seems to disable Risar Weapon crafting which just makes no sense. I hope that's a bug.
i assume its just a high prereq. consider master alloys which has a prereq of 90 in metallurgy. If you drop metallurgy to 70, you wont be able to use cronite since you dont meet the prereq for its parent.

effectively this means you need to have higher than 70 weaponsmithing and subskills to do risar weapon crafting.

-barcode

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
I don't believe players would buy low dura weapons from the broker. They will always compare all stats and either pay less for low dura or don't buy. This means crafters will stay at maximum skill anyway.

When Henrik mentioned the crafting skill 70 for the first time, I thought the maximum skill would be good for naming and cosmetics only. But now the dura is part of the system.

Reactions: Rorry

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I don't believe players would buy low dura weapons from the broker. They will always compare all stats and either pay less for low dura or don't buy. This means crafters will stay at maximum skill anyway.

When Henrik mentioned the crafting skill 70 for the first time, I thought the maximum skill would be good for naming and cosmetics only. But now the dura is part of the system.
I did too the, dura part was a dissapointment. Like bow at 50% is worthless you just delete it.

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
I didn't go testing this out, but isn't the 70 skill point only applicable to crafting and not lore? As in you still need to 100 the lore of materials to get the best stats. That is what I understood from the talk surrounding the topic, and I didn't play MO1 to know what it was like in that game.
You can get the same dmg stats and weight from before this revamp with only 70 skill in the craft and even lores, the tradeoff is only durability. People above are confused by this I guess because the items description when you mouse over it will describe it as "poor" when made with all skills 70...but it's stats aside from durability are all the same as with max lores and skill.

Reactions: EZgold

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
You can get the same dmg stats and weight from before this revamp with only 70 skill in the craft and even lores, the tradeoff is only durability. People above are confused by this I guess because the items description when you mouse over it will describe it as "poor" when made with all skills 70...but it's stats aside from durability are all the same as with max lores and skill.
Yes, but it's not just that the 100 version has better dura. It's that the 70 version has absolute trashcan dura.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas

We have known for awhile about the dura part, I actually thought that SV had always included that, but I can't remember where I got the info. We had a discussion on one thread probably 2 months ago or something where I tried to explain to a couple of guys that trying to make armor and weapons on the same character wasn't going to be great.
We had essentially the same thing by the end of MO1, where only dura was affected once crafting skills were past 70 (or maybe 60) and unsurprisingly not a lot of players lowered their skills. I know it's different now with only 1 character per account, but I agree that it won't be that different and people won't buy any good weapons at low dura. Plus in the live game people will move away from the low tier gear they are using now, because fights will matter, so crafting skill 100 will be more important as well.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
If 70 lores currently dont give max damage they need to fix that, because its not accurate with patch notes.

And they should up the dur on 70 lore weps. It should be less than max, but too low is just a waste of mats. It needs to be in between. Then people who want to sell will still go max crafting, and people like my self who just want to be self sufficient will use 70 and accept the dur nerf.

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
I think weapon crafting makes the best case for still maxing skills, but I was not surprised or confused by what they delivered with this "revamp", and it does offer another option for certain types of players.

Valoran

May 28, 2020
Remember you don't need to go either 70 or 100. If you don't care about the signature or naming your items, you could easily drop armor crafting to 90 for a very small durability reduction and get 40 points back to use for something else. Having the option is fantastic for people who want to make the most of their characters and care more about versatility than the extra perks you get from having 100 in the skills.

I also believe that the durability hit is worth the extra points, as going all the way down to 70 gives you so many extra points. You get something for the price you pay in durability, and that's easily worth it to a lot of people.

It's actually possible to make a character who can do both armor and weapon crafting as well as butcher mammals and mine and extract intermediate metals. That wasn't possible at all before, so this is great for those wanting more options.

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
Correct me if I am wrong but from what I understood about the update is that at 70 skill level for the crafting and material lores it should yield the proper results and at 100 it only gives increase to durability + naming + signature.

Some test results:
Animal Materials: 70 (Trained to, not effectively with attributes)

Bone Tissue + Full Grain Leather + Bone Tissue spear = Poor Quality

Another test:

Bone Tissue + Full Grain Leather + Bone Tissue spear = Common Quality

A final test:

Metallurgy: 100
Weapon Crafting: 100
1H Hilt/2H Hilt Crafting: 70 (effective with attribute bonus)
Basic Blades Crafting: 100

Emalj + Full Grain Leather + Cuprum = Excellent Quality

Additionally, reducing your weapon crafting skill ALSO removes your Risar Weapon recipes that you have learned. Why this happens I have no idea. Leveling it back up returns the recipe. But anyway, it seems like the update does not work as described?
I agree that there could be some clean up on the terminology used. I feel like if I make a sword at 70 lore and 70 skill, I should be at least operating at a "common" quality, with less than that being "poor". From there you should be able to increase quality terminology based on WHICH skills and lores you have at 70 vs higher. Let me throw together something off the cuff.

• Poor
    • Any level involved is below level 70.
  • Common
    • Level 70 all around.
  • Good
    • At least ONE level involved at 100.
    • No other level is below 70.
  • Excellent
    • At least TWO levels involved are at 100.
    • No other level is below 70.
  • Impeccable
    • All levels involved are at 100.
  • Legendary
    • All levels involved at at 100.
    • Special materials were used in the creation (as per Henrik's explanation)

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
Bumping this thread because people need to understand that Henrik's claim that you don't need 100 in weapon/armor crafting and material lores is not true unless you don't mind having trash dura on weapons.

Reactions: Rorry