Character slots

Chiffa

Jan 28, 2022
Will we get additional character slots? At least one?
Having only one character slot in a game with such complex character building is stupid. MO1 had 4 slots from what I found on the forums.

Vagrant

Oct 8, 2020
no fixed address
pretty sure that one was and is always going to be a no for MO2 and can't imagine it changing,
it's also why there's more points now divided in to action/profession,
some are keen enough to run multiple steam clients though.

currently everyone has enough trouble getting just one logged in

Chiffa

Jan 28, 2022
pretty sure that one was and is always going to be a no for MO2 and can't imagine it changing,
it's also why there's more points now divided in to action/profession,
some are keen enough to run multiple steam clients though.

currently everyone has enough trouble getting just one logged in

I'm not talking about introducing them now, but once the launch mess is taken care of people will become more vocal about it.
"Pay for a second account to be able to experience different playstyles" isn't really a justifiable attitude.

Reactions: fuatX and Jatix

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
I'm not talking about introducing them now, but once the launch mess is taken care of people will become more vocal about it.
"Pay for a second account to be able to experience different playstyles" isn't really a justifiable attitude.
The diehard MO2 fans think limiting the player is a good idea and will promote trade or some Bs. But all it does is make the sub not feel worth it. What kind of game makes you buy it and pay a sub so that you cant do most of the game without deleting and starting over to try the other part of the game?

Launch has been such a flop that people haven't got to experience the other issues of the game. But once its playable I agree that in a month or so people will start being annoyed that they cant do enough on their character. Especially as they continue to add more and more primary skills.

And what super bugs me is I can bypass 90% of the 'consequences' in this game by just buying a second acc. But I value my money so I get to have way less fun. But all the reasons why people cant have a second acc that people defend, are easily by passable by anyone who wants to waste some extra money.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
The diehard MO2 fans think limiting the player is a good idea and will promote trade or some Bs. But all it does is make the sub not feel worth it. What kind of game makes you buy it and pay a sub so that you cant do most of the game without deleting and starting over to try the other part of the game?

Launch has been such a flop that people haven't got to experience the other issues of the game. But once its playable I agree that in a month or so people will start being annoyed that they cant do enough on their character. Especially as they continue to add more and more primary skills.

And what super bugs me is I can bypass 90% of the 'consequences' in this game by just buying a second acc. But I value my money so I get to have way less fun. But all the reasons why people cant have a second acc that people defend, are easily by passable by anyone who wants to waste some extra money.
Yeah I agree. And if you have a weapon crafter like me, and plan to get everything maxed, you can't justify deleting and remaking a character. So you're stuck with it or you gotta buy another account.

Oh and clade XP.

Draed

Jan 4, 2022

limiting character count is a good way to get people to socialize, form groups, and split the burden. I do personally enjoy the depth some professions offer, and exploring them feels rewarding. Its much nicer than doing everything at a surface level, and having to find other people/trade on the broker to cover your areas of weakness again promotes more unique gameplay, socially and economically to say the least.

I agree with the 2nd account issue, I think people who bought a 2nd account should be refunded and locked to one, but no game company has ever done as it makes them too much money having whales that pump cash into them.

The "sibling" idea is a good compromise, the idea that you can have a 2nd character but with the same surname, meaning reputation and guild will stay the same, but to me ideally 1 char max is best so long as its enforced on everyone.

Reactions: Vagrant

Vagrant

Oct 8, 2020
no fixed address

I do hear ya, it's forcing me to really consider what i want most out of my playstyle long term on one character and is a challenge for sure, rerolling and retraining is a tad time consuming when things don't go how i thought they might.

Most original MO players had 4 slots and a few one man guilds had multiple accounts with crafters, tamers, foot soldiers, fat mage, MCs, gatherers, key holders, etc etc,
I don't think old MO players were too happy to hear that there would be only one slot for MO2

people were VERY vocal about it but Henrik/SV doubled down and said it will be a core part of MO2 features, for reputation, trade and other reasoning I forget but made sense at the time
it will go towards avoiding a lot of cookie cutter meta build spam and encourage more thought to nuanced playstyle priorities theory-crafting and character development,
which at this stage i'm pretty rubbish at 😕

good arguments for different point allocations, economising of primary & secondary, action vs profession etc should have a chance of being heard as new things are introduced later

A compromise ( which I can't see happening ) that is still in keeping with the one slot one character format,
might be that you get the option to save your current build, with all the skills and stats as they stand when you save them, as a backup before deleting/rerolling,
maybe the option could be given to revert to the previous build after a month as an option or just delete/reroll anytime.

Jan 28, 2022
+1 Character slot would be reasonable, and so would refunding and denying extra accounts. But I think that's the whole idea behind 1 character set up, making people buy more game copies and paying more monthly subs.

It's also a fact, that even if having one character forces a player to socialize more, it also makes one get bored faster - hence having more breaks from the game and paying less monthly fees.

Reactions: fuatX

malumsomnium

Jan 27, 2022
I mean in a sandbox game limiting the slot for only one caracter doesnt make me socialice more, it only makes me make another account , hell just let me add another account for X money i dont care.

King Christof

Jan 27, 2022
Will we get additional character slots? At least one?
Having only one character slot in a game with such complex character building is stupid. MO1 had 4 slots from what I found on the forums.

I never played MO1. I really love the fact that each account only gets one character. If you only play one account it makes your character that much more unique. I do not think that there really are that many people who buy multiple accounts. I have only met one to do so.

It also reinforces "jack of all trades" builds. Builds that do a little bit of everything but are not the best at anything.

Having only one character slots should make people put a lot more time in the creation, skills, and further customization of each character. If they allow multiple character slots for money then it goes against the motive that the creator has put forth.

Reactions: Kinto and Vagrant

Chiffa

Jan 28, 2022
limiting character count is a good way to get people to socialize, form groups, and split the burden

If I have a second character I still need to socialize etc. I agree that each player having a character for each class/role/profession isn't good for the game but can't see how having 2 or 3 slots can be an issue.

it will go towards avoiding a lot of cookie cutter meta build spam and encourage more thought to nuanced playstyle priorities theory-crafting and character development,

If you only play one account it makes your character that much more unique

From my point of view it only reinforces the reasoning to play "cookie cutter meta builds" because if you only have one character most people really want it to be as efficient as possible, leaving them with no space for trying something new and non-meta.

Sgr

Feb 2, 2022
I would say no

in mo1 I had 5 acc with all mounteds, all foot and almost all crafters

Now I want to see how it will work

Vagrant

Oct 8, 2020
no fixed address
I never played MO1. I really love the fact that each account only gets one character. If you only play one account it makes your character that much more unique.

Having only one character slots should make people put a lot more time in the creation, skills, and further customization of each character. If they allow multiple character slots for money then it goes against the motive that the creator has put forth.

i do think that's intended as i'm finding out, i'm definitely spending a fair bit of time somewhere between nuanced and indecisive

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
limiting character count is a good way to get people to socialize, form groups, and split the burden. I do personally enjoy the depth some professions offer, and exploring them feels rewarding. Its much nicer than doing everything at a surface level, and having to find other people/trade on the broker to cover your areas of weakness again promotes more unique gameplay, socially and economically to say the least.

I agree with the 2nd account issue, I think people who bought a 2nd account should be refunded and locked to one, but no game company has ever done as it makes them too much money having whales that pump cash into them.

The "sibling" idea is a good compromise, the idea that you can have a 2nd character but with the same surname, meaning reputation and guild will stay the same, but to me ideally 1 char max is best so long as its enforced on everyone.
The issue is you can bypass the entire point of the 1 char slot by spending more money. Which they wont prevent, because like you said, no company would turn down more money.

So they pretty much designed a problem that you can fix by spending more money, and convinced players that its for the good of the game so half the players defend it. When tons of people will just $$$$$ it up and avoid all these systems. And honestly a lot of the people defending 1 char slot are prob dual subbing.

Ulysses

Sep 5, 2020
+1 Character slot would be reasonable, and so would refunding and denying extra accounts. But I think that's the whole idea behind 1 character set up, making people buy more game copies and paying more monthly subs.

Don't agree with the cash argument. The game is called Mortal Online, it makes sense to have only one character.

Reactions: Tloluvin

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Just do what everyone else does and dual accounts. You can run them simultaneously if you have multiple PCs. Also, you double your chances of getting in the game AND, if both get in, you fuck over someone else trying to get in.

its perfect MO etiquette.

Hooves

Nov 30, 2020
In his livestream on Thursday, Henrik indicated that SV is contemplating whether or not to allow multiple characters on the same account. If they did implement this, these characters would use the same name and be identifiable to maintain continuity of identity. Still, it's unclear whether this will happen or not...but at least they are considering it.

King Christof

Jan 27, 2022
Why can you have several accounts then ?

Silly question. Why would they ever cut their revenue? Star Vault is a business, after all.

If you want to play outside the normal parameters that are set, you may do so. At double the cost. Just wait till that subscription kicks in too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulysses

Hooves

Nov 30, 2020
Silly question. Why would they ever cut there revenue? Star Vault is a business, after all.

If you want to play outside the normal parameters that are set, you may do so. At double the cost. Just wait till that subscription kicks in too.
If they're a wise company, they'll allow you to add more character slots at the cost of a much higher monthly fee. They'll get more people that way compared to the number of people who laboriously create a second Steam account to sub a second account.

Reactions: CrgHck