Certain Alvarin Clades and Fall Damage Unacceptable.

Good idea?

• agree

• disagree

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Hello,

i've attempted to engage the devs directly on this topic with no success.

Since the fall damage changes, armor weight matters little and it does not scale with the HP of the character. Meaning that previously a low armor weight veela was good at falling regardless of HP pool.

Currently even with the 50% fall damage clade if you were on a lean veela naked with 150 hp, you would be BARELY better off than an oghmir in 10+ KG armor.

recalculate fall dmg to favor light armor again or buff the clade gift because right now it’s a must have on an alvarin to be on par with other clades
Archery Clades, 3 clade gifts dedicated to archery when alvarin are still bad at archery is not acceptable. There would be basically no reason to roll an alvarin with the intention of maining an archer.

Suggestion: Change the clade to "draw bows using your dexterity instead of strength"

Last edited:

Tzone

May 16, 2021
It would be weird that a skinny veela pulls back a bow better then a stout one.

If I was changing the archer draw weight to have a benifit from Dex I would do some sort of calc where part of dex is added to the STR.

You could do STR + Dex/4. A stout veela would be 123 max and a fit veela would be 119. Len would be 115 ish, under weight would be 110, and skinny would be 100. If they did this I would certainly nerf the speed clades a bit.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
It would be weird that a skinny veela pulls back a bow better then a stout one.

If I was changing the archer draw weight to have a benifit from Dex I would do some sort of calc where part of dex is added to the STR.

You could do STR + Dex/4. A stout veela would be 123 max and a fit veela would be 119. Len would be 115 ish, under weight would be 110, and skinny would be 100. If they did this I would certainly nerf the speed clades a bit.
Yeah, on one hand I think it would be super cool to have a 130 str archer with super low hp. A true elf.

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
You should only be better off marginally as an alvarin. The laws of physics work the same way regardless of your anatomy, a 5 meter fall is going to hurt like a 5 meter fall. Being accustomed to jumping from high places is only going to get you so much further than a strong, dwarven character with good leg strength.

Not to mention, contrary to what you've stated this actually balances alvarins to other races. Prior to this patch alvarins out ran, out jumped, and outshot other races. Now, you at least took away the jumping advantage, or at least rebalanced this advantage.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
You should only be better off marginally as an alvarin. The laws of physics work the same way regardless of your anatomy, a 5 meter fall is going to hurt like a 5 meter fall. Being accustomed to jumping from high places is only going to get you so much further than a strong, dwarven character with good leg strength.

Not to mention, contrary to what you've stated this actually balances alvarins to other races. Prior to this patch alvarins out ran, out jumped, and outshot other races. Now, you at least took away the jumping advantage, or at least rebalanced this advantage.
So why should it not scale with hp pools exactly?
Why should a naked lean veela with no clade die from a fall that an oghmir in armor would survive

do you get more hit points if you’re fatter irl? Obese oghmirs are the best jumpers I think not

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
So why should it not scale with hp pools exactly?
Why should a lean veela with no clade die from a fall that an oghmir in armor would survive
Someone whose body can take more of a beating.... would take more of a beating from fall damage? Let's put it this way, an alvarin now would take a bit less damage from each fall than your oghmir, but because the veela is "weaker"/less hp, it only makes sense that the alvarin can take less amount of falls than an oghmir on the account of the oghmir being much stronger/higher hp.

How this relates to combat balance is it is easier to heal the amount of HP points lost from a alvarin jumping off, but where it gets balanced is the PERCENTAGE of HP lost from a fall is higher for your 150 HP lean alvarin compared to your 200 HP oghmir.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Someone whose body can take more of a beating.... would take more of a beating from fall damage? Let's put it this way, an alvarin now would take a bit less damage from each fall than your oghmir, but because the veela is "weaker"/less hp, it only makes sense that the alvarin can take less amount of falls than an oghmir on the account of the oghmir being much stronger/higher hp.

How this relates to combat balance is it is easier to heal the amount of HP points lost from a alvarin jumping off, but where it gets balanced is the PERCENTAGE of HP lost from a fall is higher for your 150 HP lean alvarin compared to your 200 HP oghmir.
A clade gift needs to be an option not mandatory to be on par.

they are weaker at falls and get a clade to compensate that isn’t fair. Scale it to hp pool
Unless you think oghmir should be able to wear less armor but then take clades to get more.

D

Dracu

Great idea! Lore friendly and balance wise should be interesting aswell.

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
Why be an agile forest dwelling tree elf when you could just be fat as hell as stack armor? The latter obviously makes more sense.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Hungry man catches up to meatball. Hungry man no catch skin and bone. Skin and bone wins.
How do you explain armor weight just not mattering anymore?

it makes a very small difference

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
How do you explain armor weight just not mattering anymore?

it makes a very small difference
I would like to see how much armor weight affects fall damage at higher weights (~20+ kg). For a sufficiently strong person, an extra 10kg of weight isn't much, so it shouldn't mean a significant increase in fall damage, if at all. Once you start going beyond 20kg, that's when you're carrying ~20% more weight compared to your body mass and you should have a bit more fall damage. I say a bit more as opposed to significantly more because the whole point being a strong, well built oghmir with training in jumping and landing technique is to be able to mitigate some of this damage.

Runaljod

Jan 3, 2021
I much preferred the previous % health based fall damage to this static health value. Love for it to get a second look though devs are busy busy. Also combat jump is stupid thanks.