Can we please remove or rework spell interrupts and concentration?

Aesir

Feb 28, 2022
One of Henrik's initial promises was no rng based gameplay mechanics.
Why does this rng based gameplay mechanics hinder the core of spellcasting?
There's a probability that I just don't get to play the game.
Sometimes a bandit just interrupts me 7 times a row and all I can really do is sit there and stare, I guess.

If a melee runs up to me, I'm already dead 9/10. It's entirely unnecessary from a balance perspective. And I don't see arrows or melee swings getting interrupted by damage.

At least could we get something consistent? Even if you just designed it like the balance system. Have a threshold of damage that causes spells to be interrupted. Make concentration increase that threshold. At least I'd consistently know when I'm getting interrupted.

I basically already need to have my hand held by melee or a pet no matter the content I'm trying to do in this game.

It just makes losing on mage even more miserable, isn't it something we could get changed?

Navystylz

Apr 6, 2022
No. Because Henrik's 'vision.' And if anything might come out later in the game that will handle these issues, even if it takes a year or two from now, then there is nothing interim to be done til then.

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
Wanna know why this is like it is along with having to precast ecu spells?
Because UO had precasting and interrupt chances. In an first person game this isn't needed at all. Just another thing that doesn't make sense like running faster with weapons out.

Reactions: Midas

Weis

Jun 1, 2022
If a melee runs up to me, I'm already dead 9/10. It's entirely unnecessary from a balance perspective. And I don't see arrows or melee swings getting interrupted by damage.
Are you running a pure mage build or something? Im a fat human mage and just switch to dagger at close range. Even with no daggers skill you should be able to slowly parry and kill the bandit as long as its just one.

Alternatively, Mounted Magery, Pets, or being a dex with death hand work. Elementalist mages can also easily manage this. Should also be able to outburst bandits far away, switch to fulm when theyre closer, then finish with a Tlash before you get hit.

Midas

Feb 25, 2022
Are you running a pure mage build or something? Im a fat human mage and just switch to dagger at close range. Even with no daggers skill you should be able to slowly parry and kill the bandit as long as its just one.

Alternatively, Mounted Magery, Pets, or being a dex with death hand work. Elementalist mages can also easily manage this. Should also be able to outburst bandits far away, switch to fulm when theyre closer, then finish with a Tlash before you get hit.
that doesnt feel good.

Weis

Jun 1, 2022
that doesnt feel good.
I just rerolled Weis and am dunking on bandits no problem with just outburst and a bit of parry stabbing with 60 dagger skill lol. Once I have fulm unlocked I dont need the dagger to assist much. especially since you can slowly walk backwards while casting.

Reactions: Midas

Midas

Feb 25, 2022
I just rerolled Weis and am dunking on bandits no problem with just outburst and a bit of parry stabbing with 60 dagger skill lol. Once I have fulm unlocked I dont need the dagger to assist much. especially since you can slowly walk backwards while casting.
Footies two shot bandits and take verry little damage , they also dont hafto sit down for mana in between kills.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I kill risars with no dagger skill on mage, its not a issue when im beaming players for 40-50 at 40m unblockable in pvp.

The task system fixes the clading issue.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
While i agree that the interrupt mechanic is super frustrating i dont think they will ever get rid of it. The main reason is that it would make mages too strong vs melee, especially when you consider how hard a fat mage can hit. Without an interrupt mechanic a fat mage could easily just tank melee damage and flamestrike 3 time to kill any warrior. Some tower shield fat mages can almost do it already.

If you make mages too strong there is no reason to play melee anymore and have to spend gold in expensive armour and weapons. Everyone will just roll mages.

The interrupt mechanic is a cumbersome balancing mechanic. If they removed it, they would have nerf mages some other way.

Reactions: Monco

Weis

Jun 1, 2022
Footies two shot bandits and take verry little damage , they also dont hafto sit down for mana in between kills.
Im a full fat mage, I dont sit down for mana between kills. The only bandits I have issues with are Veterans. But even then the mage ones you can wait behind a tree and then pop out and cast on. Pretty easy to solo bandits as a mage. Not as easy as a footie sure, but also not a super high skill cap here. Two outbursts makes a bandit bandage. You can throw a fulm at this point and finish them off with more outbursts. I can do 2 bandits at once without really taking any serious damage.

Edit* I also havent even read concentration yet. Havent even needed to use it. Not sure what the problem is here.

Aesir

Feb 28, 2022
Im a full fat mage, I dont sit down for mana between kills. The only bandits I have issues with are Veterans. But even then the mage ones you can wait behind a tree and then pop out and cast on. Pretty easy to solo bandits as a mage. Not as easy as a footie sure, but also not a super high skill cap here. Two outbursts makes a bandit bandage. You can throw a fulm at this point and finish them off with more outbursts. I can do 2 bandits at once without really taking any serious damage.

Edit* I also havent even read concentration yet. Havent even needed to use it. Not sure what the problem is here.
The second you add a second target or not getting the jump on a bandit.
Such as fighting an outlaw, for example.
Everything you've brought up falls apart.

I'm aware of how mage gameplay works in this game.

Yeah, it's easy when I pull a full sator pack from afar and drop a static charge before they get to me. But the second a single sator comes through a wall and hits me I'm dead if concentration doesn't feel like working.

It doesn't feel good and isn't skill based. It's just a roll of the dice whether or not I get to play. I sit there and stare and hope, I guess.

If I wanted to use a dagger I'd just play a veela footie, why waste my time?

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
The second you add a second target or not getting the jump on a bandit.
Such as fighting an outlaw, for example.
Everything you've brought up falls apart.

I'm aware of how mage gameplay works in this game.

Yeah, it's easy when I pull a full sator pack from afar and drop a static charge before they get to me. But the second a single sator comes through a wall and hits me I'm dead if concentration doesn't feel like working.

It doesn't feel good and isn't skill based. It's just a roll of the dice whether or not I get to play. I sit there and stare and hope, I guess.

If I wanted to use a dagger I'd just play a veela footie, why waste my time?
They could probably just disable concentration in PVE with no consequences.

PVE as mage is already arguably the worst design decision made by any gaming company ever anywhere.

This should have been done years ago and bares sad testament to sv's unrestrained incompetence or simple ignorance.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
out side of spurt, corrupt, and maybe burn type situation Concentration should increase the damage thresh hold needed to interrupt.
I dont like the RNG aspect but interrupt is needed. Every time you get hit that threshold should lower to punish getting hit repeatedly and concentration fills up rapidly when not taking damage.

but yeah PvE vs Mage is a bad day for the mage.

Midas

Feb 25, 2022
I feel like a spellchanneling staff might go along ways to fix this in the future.

Doom and Gloom

Mar 12, 2022
I feel like a spellchanneling staff might go along ways to fix this in the future.
if staff would fix anything in magic it would only be limited to staff magic, not to the other schools. Kinda like how necro got the move while casting which actually makes it the most usable of them all, but it didn't affect the others at all.

Reactions: Tzone