Build diversity in PVP?

PinkPink

Mar 30, 2021
How was MO1 build diversity? What is MO2 foreseeable diversity look like?

From watching videos online, it seems like 75% of the community in pvp are melee plate and 2h swords. Is viability really that limited?

Bogler

Jul 6, 2020
There is immense variation to builds, armors, weapon styles. More to come as they introduce weapon abilities. 2h Swords are very good because they are reliable damage, good speed and little to no handle hits. You can use a spear and shield and get equipment hits from your shield that reduces damage taken by alot, and spears have good reach and solid damage. Axes/Maces are hard to hit but when you get clean hits you can do anywhere from 30-70 damage a swing on players even in good armor. Hybrids, paladins, mages, warriors. People make many different builds that wear a whole variety of armors and weapons. You may see alot of players wearing plate with swords but as the game progresses people will change their playstyle as they find a role to fill.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
There is immense variation to builds, armors, weapon styles. More to come as they introduce weapon abilities. 2h Swords are very good because they are reliable damage, good speed and little to no handle hits. You can use a spear and shield and get equipment hits from your shield that reduces damage taken by alot, and spears have good reach and solid damage. Axes/Maces are hard to hit but when you get clean hits you can do anywhere from 30-70 damage a swing on players even in good armor. Hybrids, paladins, mages, warriors. People make many different builds that wear a whole variety of armors and weapons. You may see alot of players wearing plate with swords but as the game progresses people will change their playstyle as they find a role to fill.

Throw in pet skills and archer capable fighters, mounted archers, mounted combat, mounted mages and everything in between there as well.

:D

BongRips

Jun 15, 2020
It was decently diverse but eventually players figure out the meta in every game. The good thing is while builds matter, unless its some OP meta of the month (hammer MC), skill matters more.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
It was decently diverse but eventually players figure out the meta in every game. The good thing is while builds matter, unless its some OP meta of the month (hammer MC), skill matters more.
What people enjoy also sort of triumphs every time. Its just majority of the time the diehard non pve only pvp people that sort of fall into the same similar builds and following the meta more closely.

ShadowPete

Mar 18, 2021
2H is a very nooby friendly weapon. You rarely get handle hits.

Other meele weapons are harder to use and requires you to know the distance of each swing (direction) so you dont get handle hits.

How ever, being harder to use doesnt mean they are bad... most weapons are pretty good.

As for ranged builds, those are very tricky and generaly dont do well in 1 v 1 duels, thats why many people dont like them. Pluss you need good aming, hitting the spots without armor is hard on a moving target. But in group battles ranged builds are very strong.

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
There's was a little diversity in MO1 which saw varying build types dependent on role. MO2 has expanded on diversity and given more options.

Most people are wearing the cheap vendor plate armor, hence why it's everywhere. 2H swords have some of the more viable directional attacks, better swing arcs, and offer lesser stam drain compared to other weapon types. People also love swords, and probably choose to use them in any type of medieval styled game.

Not exactly a noob weapon, just a weapon that is easily balanced due to the aforementioned. Swords are one of those weapons that are somewhat easy to use, but hard to master.

As the game progresses, and more armors, weapon types/heads/handles etc are added, along with balancing.

LivingshadeNL

Mar 23, 2021
Build diversity is low because we got a community calling everything skill-less even though they never played sayed class ,🤣

Reactions: Kaemik

Diseeze

Mar 29, 2021
I think they should make the skills point pools a single pool across both professions and combat 1 pool so you have to focus between all out combat all out crafter or a hybrid of the 2.

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
I think they should make the skills point pools a single pool across both professions and combat 1 pool so you have to focus between all out combat all out crafter or a hybrid of the 2.

That's what the system was in MO1, though I assume you are suggesting we get 2300 points to use however we like...

Personally I don't think it's necessary. I get some people are not interested in combat abilities and others are not interested in crafting, but I don't think this will lead to a balanced game. The more points you can play with the harder it is to balance.

Diseeze

Mar 29, 2021
That's what the system was in MO1, though I assume you are suggesting we get 2300 points to use however we like...

Personally I don't think it's necessary. I get some people are not interested in combat abilities and others are not interested in crafting, but I don't think this will lead to a balanced game. The more points you can play with the harder it is to balance.

I was thinking more like 1200 points across all skills. ;)

Diseeze

Mar 29, 2021
Then you're returning the system to how MO1 was. No thank you
Too hardcore?

MO1 let you have multiple characters it’s more Hardcore to have 1character 1200 points across all skills, makes crafters valued and skill investment choices critical.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelzyr

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
Too hardcore?

MO1 let you have multiple characters it’s more Hardcore to have 1character 1200 points across all skills, makes crafters valued and skill investment choices critical.

IMO, yes, there is a limit to what is fun and what is overly obnoxious.

I understand in concept that you'd have to find people content with just crafting, but a system like that will simply turn people to sub 2 accounts...good for starvault's pocket, but not good for the player base.

Diseeze

Mar 29, 2021
IMO, yes, there is a limit to what is fun and what is overly obnoxious.

I understand in concept that you'd have to find people content with just crafting, but a system like that will simply turn people to sub 2 accounts...good for starvault's pocket, but not good for the player base.
But you are happy to have a game hardcore enough where rampant ganking and griefing takes place which can and does reduce the player base especially on a monthly sub game, but not one where you are restricted between choosing a combat character and a crafter? Sounds daft if you ask me.

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
But you are happy to have a game hardcore enough where rampant ganking and griefing takes place which can and does reduce the player base especially on a monthly sub game, but not one where you are restricted between choosing a combat character and a crafter? Sounds daft if you ask me.

Not quite sure I said rampant ganking and griefing is a good thing.
Your system will not fix these problems, only add another layer.
Done responding to you, agree to disagree.

Diseeze

Mar 29, 2021
Done responding to you, agree to disagree.

Bit aloof, the whole point of a discussion forum is to discuss things and thrash out ideas and points of view, not everyone is going to agree with your point of view at all times.

Reactions: Kelzyr