Blocking for bow.

Snozzle

Apr 2, 2021
Although without wanting to state the obvious better the bow than an arm or a neck!

Henrik said a stream or so ago he might look into this and probably with a significant durability drop as a last resort if indeed it makes it into the game.

Culinary

Mar 11, 2022
Its melee online man, M01 all over again. Don't bother suggesting anything interesting to the game.

Veeshan

Jan 29, 2022
Pretty sure you would recieve both
You wouldn't if you hit a bow with axe on a solid surface it will rgo through however when holding one it won't cut through cause there give in the person hand so alot of the energy will be distributed in the arm of the person not the bow.
Not toe mention you can probwlt put petal plate guards Infront of bow limbs too to use to block with to this will be attached to the handle and then sit just Infront of the bow limbs to allow room for forward flex of the bow when fired

Stormchops

Aug 22, 2020
I wanna see sheath time reduced that would help speed up the game a bit

Loads of videos where people put their weapon away for all kinds of reasons - swapping bow to melee, trying to cast a spell, bandi, and they get domed before they can correct their mistake due to unnecessary animation lock outs

Reactions: Chaines and Rhias

Legion

Feb 1, 2022
you would have a better chance at blocking with heavy armor gauntlets on then a medieval Bow. it would snap like a twig and you would die either way.

CrgHck

Jan 27, 2022
Stockholm
You wouldn't if you hit a bow with axe on a solid surface it will rgo through however when holding one it won't cut through cause there give in the person hand so alot of the energy will be distributed in the arm of the person not the bow.
If you can withstand the force of the axe then the bow would split otherwise and most likely is you get both the bow and the axe in the face and both break. at best you are left alive but stunned and wont regain your senses before the next blow chops your head off.

would be interesting to see this tried out tho. any volunteers?

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
Bows are a ranged weapon, if you let the enemy close the distance on you, you are at fault for giving your advantage away. In saying that, foot archery in MO2 is a meme in most situations. They're an initiation for group fights, stickying a mage down, or dropping mounts.

Just like mages, archers have to learn to gauge time correctly for their actions and if an enemy is closing in. Do they have to time cast, draw bow or kite back? It's something you need to learn. You're better off pulling out a melee weapon before the enemy reaches you, instead of trying to get greedy and letting off one more arrow point blank.

The realism argument for allowing bows to block, is kind of silly. Long bows, compound bows etc Would either be whipped out of a persons hands if trying to block with them, or be cut right through before the blade splits the users head - Either way would result in death. The density of bows and their wood, mixed with their weight is not strong enough to withstand heavy metal weapons with high velocity. There are mentions in historical records of archers using their bows briefly as a melee weapon to hit their opponent, to give them enough time to draw their melee weapon, though I would't imagine a bow doing too much physically to an armored opponent, either in plate, mail or a gambeson. A crossbow how ever would probably stop or deflect a blow from a lot of melee weapons.

In saying that, realism for the MO universe is kind of weird since a lot of things go against realism, which comes with the territory of a fantasy-esque environment.

At most, allowing a bow to block 1 or 2 hits before breaking and mitigating like 50% of the impact damage would be fine I guess, but not sure if that would be useful. Same with implementing some kind of basic melee feature to briefly use a bow to slap someone, though would be akin to using a wet noodle unless person was naked.

Reactions: Stormchops

Khulan

Feb 26, 2022
A recurve bow of even dubious quality would absolutely not 'snap like a twig' from a sword hit. You guys need to go outside and/or use your brain for a second.

If I got a long knife and swung it as hard as I could at you and you swung a branch of a tree at it as if you were trying to hit a baseball, what do you think would happen?

I'll spoil it - there would be a little nick in the branch and the knife would get either chipped (if hard like iron or stainless steel) or dulled (if softer like steel or copper).

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
A recurve bow of even dubious quality would absolutely not 'snap like a twig' from a sword hit. You guys need to go outside and/or use your brain for a second.

If I got a long knife and swung it as hard as I could at you and you swung a branch of a tree at it as if you were trying to hit a baseball, what do you think would happen?

I'll spoil it - there would be a little nick in the branch and the knife would get either chipped (if hard like iron or stainless steel) or dulled (if softer like steel or copper).
The knife would melt obviosuly

Chaines

Jan 26, 2022
I would just want a better way to swap weapon, actually the best way to do it is to open your inventory in order to be sure you swapped correctly. And I go from bow to spear/shield, do you feel my pain ? I don't want it faster, just some QoL changes to do it correctly
I get it that going from bow to cac weapon IRL would take some time in order to store it correctly and take your new weapon out, but you would never miss it and go barehand instead.