Blocking after swinging should follow the same logic as attacking

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
From last patch notes:
  • The player is now allowed to attack again directly after a successful hit, without waiting for the whole animation to finish.
  • Attacks now have four stages instead of three. Previously [charge, hold, release]. Now [charge, hold, release, recovery].
What wasnt in the patch notes is that now you can parry pretty much mid swing, even worse than the "block queue" days. Now idk if we should go back to waiting till the whole animation is over like last patch, but it should be tweaked a bit and at least follow the same logic as attacking, where you can block without waiting for the whole animation to finish like right now, but only after a successful hit. So if you play well you can still beat another player with better gear but an aggresive player also has the chance to get a hit in if you miss your counter.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Perro, a learned PvP individual: Says something logical, coherent, and it makes sense from start to finish.

The 'average' MO community member: "Man this new patch and combat is great!!"

Don't worry Perro, those of us who don't speak are in agreement with you. It's only a vocal minority.

Reactions: ElPerro

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Perro, a learned PvP individual: Says something logical, coherent, and it makes sense from start to finish.

The 'average' MO community member: "Man this new patch and combat is great!!"

Don't worry Perro, those of us who don't speak are in agreement with you. It's only a vocal minority.
Are people saying that?

Reactions: Rolufe

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Are people saying that?

In his mind I´m sure they are.

My performance has tanked so badly with this patch that testing has been tough. I did notice a lot more parries being up very early and I guess this explains that.

Personally I´m not a fan of the idea of adaptive timings that depends on hits. It did not feel very dynamic at all. I am glad the weapon bug is fixed though, which is worth a lot of pain.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
In his mind I´m sure they are.

My performance has tanked so badly with this patch that testing has been tough. I did notice a lot more parries being up very early and I guess this explains that.

Personally I´m not a fan of the idea of adaptive timings that depends on hits. It did not feel very dynamic at all. I am glad the weapon bug is fixed though, which is worth a lot of pain.
Yeah it’s weird as fuck, slow down the ability to queue up attacks when nearly everyone was having trouble getting non-counter hits off.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
Yeah it’s weird as fuck, slow down the ability to queue up attacks when nearly everyone was having trouble getting non-counter hits off.

Exactly. I mean it read like it should be easier to be aggressive, but in reality it seems harder now. It´s going the opposite way, except now you have to master another clunky parry mechanic.

Reactions: Teknique

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
Well I guess the developer update shed some light on this. I don´t think they intend that we have a good way to play aggressively currently because the special moves for weapons and kicks are supposed to resolve this.

I feel that this needs to come very soon. Being able to kill people is somewhat essential to MO2.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Well I guess the developer update shed some light on this. I don´t think they intend that we have a good way to play aggressively currently because the special moves for weapons and kicks are supposed to resolve this.

I feel that this needs to come very soon. Being able to kill people is somewhat essential to MO2.
Yeah not sure how I feel about this. Id rather have a solid combat system with a good foundation that allows you to play aggresively without gimmicks like special moves (always hated tripple strike and the like). And I really hope they wont copy paste Gloria Victis kick system with a stun, that would certainly kill any chances of 1vX completely from the game.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
Yeah not sure how I feel about this. Id rather have a solid combat system with a good foundation that allows you to play aggresively without gimmicks like special moves (always hated tripple strike and the like). And I really hope they wont copy paste Gloria Victis kick system with a stun, that would certainly kill any chances of 1vX completely from the game.

I haven´t played Gloria Victis. What is the problem with their system?

What kind of special moves could actually work? I mean we had dual strike, tripple strike, backstab and spear stance. I feel like most of those should be fairly useless in a duel where you opponent is reacting towards you.

I´m still a fan of the hole grappling idea. Maybe get brawling in there.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
I haven´t played Gloria Victis. What is the problem with their system?

What kind of special moves could actually work? I mean we had dual strike, tripple strike, backstab and spear stance. I feel like most of those should be fairly useless in a duel where you opponent is reacting towards you.

I´m still a fan of the hole grappling idea. Maybe get brawling in there.
You get stun for like 2-4 secs, combat was just who played the guessing game better with their kicks during someones block animation. Only 1 stun and its game over in 1vX.

Not sure what special moves they can come up with that arent broken, all the ones from mo1 felt like gimmicks

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
You get stun for like 2-4 secs, combat was just who played the guessing game better with their kicks during someones block animation. Only 1 stun and its game over in 1vX.

Not sure what special moves they can come up with that arent broken, all the ones from mo1 felt like gimmicks

Yeah, that sounds terrible.

A special move should probably just mimmick what you could do in Mo1 - get around a parry. Do that enough times and the enemy get flustered - you kill them.

Jakkob

Oct 14, 2020
Yeah, that sounds terrible.

A special move should probably just mimmick what you could do in Mo1 - get around a parry. Do that enough times and the enemy get flustered - you kill them.
I feel like they would have to implement a special move for every weapon type then, make them all extremely useful but with long CD. Please no broken spear stance this time

Reactions: Eldrath

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
I agree that how things are, it has only become easier to be defensive, and is even less fun to try and be aggressive.

However I think it's important to keep in mind that Henrik is more or less aware of this, and as stated in the recent website Developers Update, there are plans to address it, such as adding in more aggressive options for block breaking, such as a kick.

I believe the goal right now is to even out the playing field when it comes to ping, and have a solid base to work from. The dynamics of aggression and pace are going to be worked on once the base is sound, and the base is getting fairly sound.

I am hopeful for what comes.

Reactions: PatWins

Jakkob

Oct 14, 2020
Tbh they really shouldn't make the combat system anymore complicated though, the average player will probably already have trouble with all the ways you will be able to attack. It's already taken me time to get used to holding V in combat rotations, which is kinda weird to begin with. I play with keyboard movement and with my playstyle it would make a lot more sense if you are holding W you will overhead strike

Reactions: Rhias

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Tbh they really shouldn't make the combat system anymore complicated though, the average player will probably already have trouble with all the ways you will be able to attack. It's already taken me time to get used to holding V in combat rotations, which is kinda weird to begin with. I play with keyboard movement and with my playstyle it would make a lot more sense if you are holding W you will overhead strike
I switched as soon as I could because of that. WASD should be the buttons for keyboard directions.