Archery and Wind Effect

Camarro DaMortas

Jan 1, 2022
Norfolk, UK
I've read and been told that wind will affect archery, so I decided to test it. I waited until a time that there was significant wind noise, then shot arrows at trees. I fired in all different directions (to account for the possibility I was firing directly upwind or downwind) so that at least some shots would have been fired across the wind.

The result was that my arrows suffered the usual range drop, but there was no left / right deflection at all. Every arrow hit the target tree on the same vertical line as it was aimed.

Has anybody got any evidence that wind affects arrows? As far as I can see it is not in game, or is broken.

Camarro DaMortas

Jan 1, 2022
Norfolk, UK
Wind effects are not fully in yet.
I don't think they should implement wind effects unless there is a way of seeing the wind direction. In real life you look at flags, trees, blown dust and leaves, or you stick a wet finger in the air ( I said AIR you horrible people ). Seems silly to do it by guessing, or trial and error.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Well, we already have wind effects on objects as well as wind blowing up dust in certain conditions in game. Those are good indicators, some other indicators they could add could be sound. Its during mid to intense wind conditions, side wind will be quite audibly clear. Capes, tabards and robes will sway in the wind too.

About the first mentioned, just needs to be synced up with wind strength and direction.

Reactions: Camarro DaMortas

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
I've read and been told that wind will affect archery, so I decided to test it. I waited until a time that there was significant wind noise, then shot arrows at trees. I fired in all different directions (to account for the possibility I was firing directly upwind or downwind) so that at least some shots would have been fired across the wind.

The result was that my arrows suffered the usual range drop, but there was no left / right deflection at all. Every arrow hit the target tree on the same vertical line as it was aimed.

Has anybody got any evidence that wind affects arrows? As far as I can see it is not in game, or is broken.

Unfortunately not implemented... at all.

CrgHck

Jan 27, 2022
Stockholm
imho at first you should get wind directions in crosshair, realistic no but seems like a more realistic goal.
getting leaves and grass to all blow in the right direction and never bug sounds tricky

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021

STOP AIMING WITH THE CROSSHAIRS!!!

Almost always w/ arrow tip you need a test shot anyway, so could account for wind then, obv wind would change, but you could adapt. Adding not only a laser sight (crosshair) but magic wind detection would further make archery trash IMO!

It's a great feeling to look down your arrow and ping someone. You feel like you actually shot someone. Not like an arrow magically spurted out of the top of your bow into a o you have targeted on an area.

BOOOOOO!! BOOOO!! - uninstalls -