Ech day me comëth tydinges thre,
For wel swithë sore ben he:
The on is that Ich shal hennë,
That other that Ich not whennë,
The thriddë is my mestë carë,
That Ich not whider Ich shal farë.

-Anonymous, 13th Century.

PSA:

Why do you run when you could fight? So many fallen have done so just fleeing. Fight, you may surprise yourself lads. It is ok to lose, its just a game. What isnt ok, is that you would simply resort to the futility of flight.

You can kill someone in full steel with a bone spear. I challenge all ye who run to stamd your ground for once in this great game. Adventure awaits you.

Reactions: Balvrikk and Tzone

Camarro DaMortas

Jan 1, 2022
Norfolk, UK
You have got yourself geared up, prepared and gone looking for a fight.
I'm wearing rugged garments and taming a horse.

Why on earth would I take a fight that I know I'm going to lose? One of the greatest combat skills is knowing which fights to take, and which ones to avoid. I love PvP and getting stuck in to a good rumpus, but if I always let the enemy dictate the time and place, that is very poor tactics.

Melhisedek

Dec 3, 2021
Tindrem
Ech day me comëth tydinges thre,
For wel swithë sore ben he:
The on is that Ich shal hennë,
That other that Ich not whennë,
The thriddë is my mestë carë,
That Ich not whider Ich shal farë.

-Anonymous, 13th Century.

PSA:

Why do you run when you could fight? So many fallen have done so just fleeing. Fight, you may surprise yourself lads. It is ok to lose, its just a game. What isnt ok, is that you would simply resort to the futility of flight.

You can kill someone in full steel with a bone spear. I challenge all ye who run to stamd your ground for once in this great game. Adventure awaits you.
Go tell your grandmother this, kitchen fighter

Exiledkhallisi

Jan 27, 2022

Why on earth would I take a fight that I know I'm going to lose? One of the greatest combat skills is knowing which fights to take, and which ones to avoid. I love PvP and getting stuck in to a good rumpus, but if I always let the enemy dictate the time and place, that is very poor tactics.

Ya missed the entire point man..

The point is, you're going to die if you try to run.

So you may as well stand your ground and actually in MO... you CAN win vs a better geared player.

Good gear doesnt mean skilled player. They could have the best gear in the game, and miss 80% of their swings or arrows.

Reactions: Camarro DaMortas

Camarro DaMortas

Jan 1, 2022
Norfolk, UK

So you may as well stand your ground and actually in MO... you CAN win vs a better geared player.

Good gear doesnt mean skilled player. They could have the best gear in the game, and miss 80% of their swings or arrows.
Nah, didn't miss your point, and it's a valid one. It's good for people to get involved in PVP and lose their fear of it. But you also need to remember that a lot of people are out trying to do other stuff, and they find that too many people think PVP means sneaking up behind them when they are at half health and backstabbing them.

Also, bear in mind that not everyone builds their character for 1v1. My build, for example, is dex / mage / tamer, it's a support role. If I go 1v1 with you then you will wipe the floor with me. But I am very, very good at running away...

Cyrotek

Feb 1, 2022

While I tend to stand my ground I also have to say that people initating PvP are usually only doing so because they have a clear advantage (more people, way better gear, horses vs. no horses, initating on someone hurt, etc.), so it usually doesn't matter either way.

Tho, it is kinda fun to drag it out so hard and have them waste so many ressources that they MUST be annoyed by their own lack of skill. However, ultimatively it doesn't lead to anything except wasted time.

D

Deleted member 44

While I tend to stand my ground I also have to say that people initating PvP are usually only doing so because they have a clear advantage (more people, way better gear, horses vs. no horses, initating on someone hurt, etc.), so it usually doesn't matter either way.

Tho, it is kinda fun to drag it out so hard and have them waste so many ressources that they MUST be annoyed by their own lack of skill. However, ultimatively it doesn't lead to anything except wasted time.
This is some hard copium.

pooternackle

Mar 21, 2021
Now that you mention it, I don’t think I’ve encountered anyone that has fought back yet. I do a lot of solo pvp and everyone just stands still and dies or runs away. Only if I encounter a gank squad do I get killed, but this is only because everyone solo just let’s me kill them without a struggle.

Bladeer01

Aug 1, 2021
humm , been ganked twice , fought back knowing i would die once , stood still second time cause i lagged so much and the guy killing me just gave me an armor earlier xd

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628

As another, somewhat more modern poet put it:

You got to know when to hold 'em​
Know when to fold ém​
Know when to walk away​
And know when to run.​

Reactions: Camarro DaMortas

Contorto

Feb 18, 2022
Lol this thread reminds me of EVE when some warps into a mining belt in a combat ship an than shit talks in local to the people in mining ships. Like lol ya why am I running when I literally don't have a weapon I can't image why.

Reactions: Tloluvin

TheChersk

Feb 1, 2022
Now that you mention it, I don’t think I’ve encountered anyone that has fought back yet. I do a lot of solo pvp and everyone just stands still and dies or runs away. Only if I encounter a gank squad do I get killed, but this is only because everyone solo just let’s me kill them without a struggle.

This is why people don't fight right here. It kind of ruins the enjoyment out of killing people when there is no competition or effort involved.

The only thing dead meat can deny their attackers is a good fight.

Last edited:

Tzone

May 16, 2021
No, copium would be thinking what he said wasn't true. Think about this logically, no one picks a fight at a disadvantage so yeah pretty easy to reason those starting the engagements do so when they have an advantage.
Seen plenty of people fight against people in steel and win with just worn shorties. Alot of the time its hero to zero going out naked with a emalj weapon abd ending up with good gear if others at the end of the day.

Lots of people could have survived if they had just took out a weapon and parried instead of running away while the person was already on them.

Jan 28, 2022
Seen plenty of people fight against people in steel and win with just worn shorties. Alot of the time its hero to zero going out naked with a emalj weapon abd ending up with good gear if others at the end of the day.

Lots of people could have survived if they had just took out a weapon and parried instead of running away while the person was already on them.
Let me state, I 100% agree with everything you've said here. Maybe I should clarify. I'll add a correction:

"no one picks a fight at a perceived disadvantage so yeah pretty easy to reason those starting the engagements do so when they have a perceived advantage"

I'm not disagreeing with what you've said, but at it's most basic, what I'm saying is no one picks a fight they think they will lose -- that's all.

korteks

Feb 16, 2022

i agree. It's just a waste of time to run, unless you know you can get away, even moreso if you are outgeared.

Although it was enjoyable to dodge Sindragora's poorly aimed arrows while running from his weak MA build and VOIP taunting him the other day. Funny, he had no problems hitting my stationary horse earlier.

He did eventually get off his horse, and I did turn to fight, and I did parry the fuck out of his 2H sword with my 20 dmg vendor dagger with underleveled skill, but as soon as he got one hit through, it was clear how it would end. I am not good enough at parrying yet to turn that one around.

At that point i had to be satisfied with wasting his time as much as i could.

Last edited:

Zosimos

Jan 19, 2022
No pleasure in trying to fight off a 5 man gank squad. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor and running (because I know I'm faster) is my only option.