AMA Response, please abandon 1 world commitment in favor of a better gameplay experience POLL

Do not sacrifice a great gameplay experience / ping to maintain a 1 world commitment.

• Agree

• Disagree

Results are only viewable after voting.

Javelin

Nov 13, 2020
Come on now, relax with the biased wording. It's clearly resistance against losing on of MOs unique features: one server.
If im biased for wanting engaging combat on an even playing field then yes im biased. I want the choice to have a shit experience and play with euros with high ping or a good one that doesnt. I dont want it forced on us as the only option.

The unique feature you speak of doesn’t realistically gain much. You’re rarely going to even see players from these different time zones. The peak times are never aligned so any engagements with each other will either be when they have few people on or you do.

No ones going to play a game that uses twitch combat when the average ping is 200+, at least not for long.

Thats just the truth man I wish it wasn’t that way but the world is round and there are different time zones so here we are.

Javelin

Nov 13, 2020
Should probably edit the poll because it seems like it is a choice whether to keep 1 world for all players or to have multiple worlds.

I don't want them to change away from having 1 world for all, that's one of many things I love about MO. At the same time I don't agree in their current quest for fairness above all. I would much rather they focus on having fun and engaging gameplay, particurly the combat.

I don't think I've played a single MMO that didn't have any kind of lag or desync at some point, and have simply learnt to live with it. I think many other players have experienced the same and agree that the most important thing is that the game is fun, as that is what is going to keep you playing.
The poll is exactly what it states: it requests to not make sacrifices to the quality of gameplay just to keep the promise of 1 world. If that means multiple worlds then do that but its on them to provide a solution however thats done. I.e. continents being housed in different regions sounded interesting though not sure how possible that one is. Multiple worlds is just the obvious solution SV may have a different one.

sigrace

Dec 10, 2020
It's a hard one. The resistance to the idea of splitting the server apart is because it tears at a fundamental tenant. Everyone is part of one living world. A lot of people are looking forward to making an impact in a game that effects everyone, no matter how little. There's more weight to making a name for yourself in the one server.

This doesn't take into consideration ping and that's also important. Good fights and stories keep people playing, especially since most of our time spent in this game will likely be traveling, gathering, and preparing for the next fight. Having that fight be buggy and disjointed would blow (and does blow).

This is why I don't know where I'd fall yet. I want to see if they can find a creative solution to the problem.

Wesley Snipes

May 28, 2020
I can totally see why they would go with a 1 world model, but with the directional skill based combat? That's going to be a nearly impossible task to pull off and make everyone happy. Even the developers behind dark fall knew better, and they didn't even have directional combat.

They really have two choices. NA / EU regional servers, or have an NA continent that's resource balanced wise with the EU continent at the launch of EA. If they wait to release the NA continent it will be a big face palm. Forcing a huge chunk of your player base (henrik last said 65% of the players of MO were NA) to play with potentially shitty ping is not a good business decision, and not good for the longevity of the game.

What they're attempting with the ping normalization, and adjusting swing speeds, etc is all busy work. It's a band aide on a gushing chest wound. Sure, people tolerated the bs ping shenanigans of MO, but look it got that game. Do you just want people to "tolerate" the mediocrity of your game?

You want combat to be "faster"? You should be all for the regional server solution. Even with the two server solution there will be desync, but it will be so significantly less that they won't have to transmorgify the game to make it work. You want the game to be a successful and have a sustainable population for years to come? The two server solution is the best way to achieve this.

It's unfortunate henrik won't listen tho; he honestly just wants to have a kill box where he can gank 200+ ms american players.

The fact that the game is already an extreme niche, has full loot pvp AND they plan on charging people a subscription fee in EA is going to be a huge barrier of entry for a lot of people. I don't know anyone who wants to be charged a monthly fee for an early access game and be forced to play on a server across the pond.

Not to mention TC and base building probably won't be in the game at the start, how long will we have to wait for these features? What is everyone going to be doing till they're in the game?

From the AMA it seems Henrik thinks that since this game is an MMORPG and not an arena game then having regional servers doesnt have any effect on gameplay. Not sure what is his reasoning for this tbh...

Damn, if henrik thinks this, then the game is literally doomed.

Last edited:

Goltarion

Jun 3, 2020
It would still suck for a lot of people cause almost every guild has US and EU players. Those guilds would just go where the majority has good ping and the others will still join them with shit ping. So it wouldnt even really solve the ping difference issues.

I'm from EU and I would rather have one server at USA east coast than have two servers.

sigrace

Dec 10, 2020
It would still suck for a lot of people cause almost every guild has US and EU players. Those guilds would just go where the majority has good ping and the others will still join them with shit ping. So it wouldnt even really solve the ping difference issues.

I'm from EU and I would rather have one server at USA east coast than have two servers.

That's a pretty good point. If I knew there was two servers and I had to choose, I'd choose based on my group, not my location.

Reactions: Goltarion

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020

Thats only old guilds from MO1 tho. No offense but these are a tiny group compared to the new potential population SV should be targetting. And even then most MO1 guilds were from 1 specific timezone.

If Henrik really wants a 1 global server game for a directional melee slasher (which is honestly a pretty dumb idea with todays tech) then the least he can do is put the server in the middle where most pop is (east coast). But something tells me unlike MO1, Henrik does plan to play with his new shiny toy and doesnt want to give up the ping advantage...

Grisù

Sep 3, 2020

Good point on that.

Honestly I think 1 world wide server would makes guild job more interesting, forcing them to be more competitive, trying to recruit trustful people over different timezones, to ensure guild presence in game.

[...]But something tells me unlike MO1, Henrik does plan to play with his new shiny toy and doesnt want to give up the ping advantage...

I would reacted your post with an :Haha:, but I'm not entirely sure you are joking on that.

Javelin

Nov 13, 2020

This is a fair point but at least it would be an individual choice. Honestly maybe there is a solution other then splitting the servers it's just that 2 servers seems like the obvious solution is all. If half the world was hosted in NA and the other half was hosted in EU at least you know when you go into EU territory you're at a disadvantage etc.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
NA based server does make more sense.

Not even a spiteful kind of thing against EU, but its kind of stupid how all players for 10+ years had to deal with it excluding EU, especially if those statistics Wesley said are correct (and honestly I believe it as most people I've played with and against have been from the US or from North / South America.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
There should either be 2 servers, or the game should receive 2 continents, one being Myrland and the other similar to it that connect to different servers.

This one server, EU only stuff is honestly going to be apart of a DoA effect that MO1 had when and even before it hit Steam.

• Haha
Reactions: Bicorps

Wesley Snipes

May 28, 2020
This is a fair point but at least it would be an individual choice. Honestly maybe there is a solution other then splitting the servers it's just that 2 servers seems like the obvious solution is all. If half the world was hosted in NA and the other half was hosted in EU at least you know when you go into EU territory you're at a disadvantage etc.

The whole splitting guilds up argument is kinda wonky. Sure, you might split the few existing MO1 guilds up, like all 10 of them, maybe. If the majority of those guilds are composed of NA tho, that right there should be the indictaor that an NA solution of some type should exist.

I belong to a large gaming community, but it's no exaggeration that none of them are encouraged by the fact that the MO2 game world is hosted in europe. No one here wants to play at a ping disadvantage when we're talking about the potential to lose all your shit. Tack on the fact that the game isn't very convenient (no world map; etc), throw in a monthly fee and that's just a bigger no. I'm honestly not sure what the developers are thinking. Yes, the game is going to be niche, but the decisions they're making are going to make the game even more niche to the point of being unsustinable. This game is on a collision course with a negative steam review brigading up the wazoo.

Reactions: RaptorBlackz

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Splitting guilds is going to suck hard for existing guilds if it's multiple servers. If it's multiple continents people will find ways to make it work if playing with their guild is important to them.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Splitting guilds is going to suck hard for existing guilds if it's multiple servers. If it's multiple continents people will find ways to make it work if playing with their guild is important to them.

It wouldn't split guilds because MO1 is a prime example of it not doing such a thing.

TARG3T

Nov 26, 2020

To play devil's advocate with this, what would stop 1 guild from having NA and EU players spread on both servers or regional continents controlling land and providing a "haven" for their high ping comrades? SV has the ability to produce something great that really can cater to a global community with a more open way of looking at regional opportunities.

Everyone is looking at this as a split, which yes in a way it is. But it's also opportunity to create events, establish continental trade, bring in sailing, create world politics even 2 major governing forces, idk like the current real life global structure? Lots of opportunity, and from what I've seen the right community to accomplish it.

Plus, not putting myself here, there are tons of role players and PvE only type players that I could imagine loving this game, so long as they had uncrowded open space to roam in and avoid RPK groups. Not to say they can't exist in one world, but those who don't want to RPK usually try to stay away from the masses that do.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
It wouldn't split guilds because MO1 is a prime example of it not doing such a thing.

MO1 was a single server. If you have multiple servers then very few NAs will choose to play EU and very few EUs would choose to play NA. Just like Darkfall most people I played with on NA were NA. So any existing guilds of mixed NA/EU would get split for the most part.

If it's a multi-continent setup then there are additional difficulties to having mixed EU/NA groups but less than being split across truly different servers. And there are also advantages to mixed groups. It will only split guilds if people's guild doesn't mean much to them which in that case, is alright.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
MO1 was a single server. If you have multiple servers then very few NAs will choose to play EU and very few EUs would choose to play NA. Just like Darkfall most people I played with on NA were NA. So any existing guilds of mixed NA/EU would get split for the most part.

If it's a multi-continent setup then there are additional difficulties to having mixed EU/NA groups but less than being split across truly different servers. And there are also advantages to mixed groups. It will only split guilds if people's guild doesn't mean much to them which in that case, is alright.

Guilds came to MO1 is my point, and it didn't split them up as in some people didn't play because of the server location.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Yes. Some people are going to choose to play the game despite ping issues. But if you split it down NA/EU lines then 90%+ of people who see a significantly better ping in one location or the other are going to opt to play on the server that gives them the better ping.

There's a huge difference between "You can't play this game at all unless you suffer the ping issues" and "There are two servers one of which has a much better ping for you and you can play this game on either". If you really like the game you're much more likely to suffer the first while only masochists and dominators will do the second.

As I said though, those issues are going to be far less pronounced with continents. There are multiple good reasons I can think of to play with an EU guild as NA or visa versa if we at least share the same world. For instance for me personally. Once ships make it in 90% of my time will be spent on the water so I'll only really be home to defend against sieges. I'm just going to have to deal with the ping of where the trade takes me.

Last edited: