Against Free Placement:

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Time for another post no one will read. I did this before, but since TC is soooo far off, let me clear my throat.

It is my belief that free placement TC will inevitably turn into AIDS, not simply territory control, but using the things to block something, building very close to someone else to grief them, or just massive redundancy (like 5 houses in a row w/ a butcher table cuz it's a good farm spot.)

It is also my belief that a free placement system will be MORE BUGGY, MORE UGG-LY, etc, and is probably using a ton of resources and pushing the date for implementation further and further back.

Keeping that in mind: let us turn our attention to POINTS OF INTEREST. They are INTERESTING, kind of, right? The more complicated ones are, definitely. SV has proven they can drop that stuff all day long. I imagine the plan is for those things to go when TC is implemented, but knowing SV... well, you never know?

Let us combine these two ideas, then! Although free placement is the sandbox ideal (like pvp everywhere is the sandbox ideal, but ends up with the deployment of clusters of guards,) I was wondering if a more structured system would suit the world of nave. Sure, I don't know all of the details. I definitely could think more on it (and have a little,) but this is just a concept.

People want their own house, and that's cool. They can have that now. It would be nice if multiple houses/strongholds would form into a kind of 'pre set structure' and expand as more things are placed. Want to place something that is not there? Gotta place it a certain distance away OR poly with the people OR siege them. That's a simple enough idea.

Now, we move on to farms, outposts, the kind of things people would build a house or TC structures to place. I definitely think if farming becomes a thing, it should be limited to what you can farm where, but I also feel like it would be nice to have default places for the community to shape as outposts, farms, orchards... and they would require upkeep, could be razed, would last for x amount of time before the 'crop' could be changed. Kind of like interactive PoIs... because if you played MO, you know that people are gonna place certain things certain places regardless. Wouldn't it be smarter to just have something there and let people shape it, whether it's guarded, who is black listed... e t c. Obviously, just expand on that all the way out. If you don't see what I'm sayin' by now, I guess I could go on (assuming anyone responds to my thread.)

I feel that this (as well as I believe we should have the ability to shape NPC towns a lot, too!) would make MO into a more functional, beautiful, world-like game without taking away from any of the finer aspects of "TC."

I'm not saying remove houses or whatever, but rather, focus on building it as this. This is one of my 'ultimate sandbox' theories that will be in "THE GOOD SANDBOX THAT ACTUALLY LASTS AND ISN'T A MOBILE PHONE QUALITY GAME." haha.

To give an example, people want to butcher on the beach in Jungle. Houses and houses and houses. Safety, too. If there were out post places, they could be developed, and imagine you develop an outpost and you slap down a guard (I'd def severely limit the guards, but let's say you get a normal guard or two.) Then, you put it on only my friends and guildies can access it. You maybe put some 'food' there to enhance the turtle spawn. Maybe plant some muse fruit trees or palm fruits, sea dew?

Then, what happens when someone comes in? They gotta sneak around the guards, kill the guards, or get on the white list.

This is opposed to house after house of butcher tables and bow crafting stations where people go and shut themselves in. Such TC wow.

This idea is actually LESS COMPLEX (I'd say?) to implement than a massive free placement TC system, and it could evolve over time. People could place all kinds of things there, or, like I said, raze the spot, destroy the butcher table, whatever.

I am almost positive that this would enhance the game, have fewer people getting griefed out, and make it seem more like a society/world... while still allowing the amenities of TC. Also, they could make them all by default lawless zones in the area, so that the player(s) who claimed them could decide the law.

You might say BUT I WANT A HOUSE ON THE BEACH WITH A BUTCHER TABLE!! I think there is still room for that, but just... not as much. If it's not a cluster-village, then make it so you have to place it a certain distance away.

I understand that this is probably mind blowing and instant rejection to a lot of people, but really consider it. Consider in the end which would actually allow more freedom, and also consider that function is important, but beauty/immersion is equally if not more important. I could go around the map and take screenshots of places that are just disgusting with TC already and there isn't 'true TC' yet. It would also give SV a much easier path (imo,) and if at some point, people became dissatisfied with the idea, they could always drop a thoughtful, more balanced free placement system. This would at least get something that is complex and balanced out much faster.

Doom and Gloom

Mar 12, 2022
The free house placement, while enticing, is actually a nightmare idea for many of the points you put out. Additionally, we really don't see the extent of its issues yet with this little players, even with the decay time, if the game ever gets even a bit popular everything will soon be filled with houses and new players won't have a space to build at all, or have to go in the middle of nowhere and no resources or points of interest.

And let's face it, the houses are ugly af and currently very limited in what you can do with em. Most of Naive seems like ghost towns where you see any houses. Strongholds look a bit nicer at least.

Reactions: Teknique

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
The free house placement, while enticing, is actually a nightmare idea for many of the points you put out. Additionally, we really don't see the extent of its issues yet with this little players, even with the decay time, if the game ever gets even a bit popular everything will soon be filled with houses and new players won't have a space to build at all, or have to go in the middle of nowhere and no resources or points of interest.

And let's face it, the houses are ugly af and currently very limited in what you can do with em. Most of Naive seems like ghost towns where you see any houses. Strongholds look a bit nicer at least.

no doubt, that's why I propose a pared down version of more 'editing' things like PoIs/towns/outposts to start. But there def need to be some houses. MO1 was OK w/ houses.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
So pretty much have farms like keeps?

Nah, like legos, haha. I mean, there are levels:

flat area for placement that can be built up, probably a pre-generated asset that would pop when you did, yknow like think of those siege camps. Various sizes at different places. And you can flesh them out + put stuff around them. Then you have PoIs which would be as they are, but much more customizable (gotta get rid of the vendors, tho, maybe. Saw some PoI towns and they have vendors! - gasp - or at least make it so they don't 'buy.' Didn't check whether or not they do.) Then lastly would be actual towns that are in the game, allow a lot of shaping of them, too.

Seems a lot easier, and a lot more interesting, but that's just me. That's just for 'non house tc,' altho I would put limitations on houses, by distance, and make it so that if you wanted to build houses or houses w/ a SH that it would 'form' into a pre-generated placement (like a village?) of the things, and if you added another, it would shift, you know? There would obv be a hard limit, too.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Just adding to this a video describing the problem of what happens when the space runs out etc.

appreciate bump, may chech vid. Envy haha. Space prol won't run out in MMO if they keep banning people and they keep the tax limits low. Esp if your stuff degrades faster once your sub drops, but it just starts getting UGLY and OPPRESSIVE with all of the TC that is, more or less, redundant... doesn't lead to fights, leads to people running into their houses. Sure, I dream about people coming up and building right next to me. Right when I put shampoo on my eyelashes.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Bumping this again cuz I heard people are putting houses in Celano cave and glitching spawns. Bugh. Why can't we have a world that you can build from the ground up that has some underlying order so it won't glitch out spawns. I doubt anyone is gonna care that much. :/ STOP THIS FREE PLACEMENT GARBAGE. STOP LETTING PEOPLE BUILD HOUSES IN CAVES. Or make that shit give you major allergies!

Reactions: Melhisedek

Melhisedek

Dec 3, 2021
Tindrem
Bumping this again cuz I heard people are putting houses in Celano cave and glitching spawns. Bugh. Why can't we have a world that you can build from the ground up that has some underlying order so it won't glitch out spawns. I doubt anyone is gonna care that much. :/ STOP THIS FREE PLACEMENT GARBAGE. STOP LETTING PEOPLE BUILD HOUSES IN CAVES. Or make that shit give you major allergies!
we'll have to destroy all this garbage ourselves. Emdash, gather a crowd, let's go break down all the fucking houses.💂‍♀️💂‍♂️💂‍♀️💂‍♂️

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
"Celaeno cave is just now another jank fest which once had potential but now resembles an old modded minecraft server rather than a cutting edge MMO dungeon" - from the celano cave housethread. HOUSE PARTY IN CELANO CAVE. THE NIGHTMARE OF FREE PLACEMENT. IT CAN HAPPEN ANYWHERE. EVEN TO CELANOS.

Celanos, a once well farmed species are now found trapped inside rocks or have disappeared altogether... newscast.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
I am against free wall placement, and trees shoud prevent you from build a house. SV should manually remove the vegetation and trees on housespots, where a houses is already placed and make it impossible in future to place houses over a tree. Vegetation should turn invisible when placing tc Structures and houses. The vegetation inside Keeps should be removed or reduced.

Last edited:

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I am against free wall placement, and that trees prevent you from build a house. SV should remove the vegetation and trees on housespots, from houses that are already placed and make it impossible in future to place houses over a tree.

I got trees in my house. haha. I got even urials in one house. It didn't USED to be like that. - launches into once upon a time... -

Nah, but really... and like I put a house by CC and I was like ahh mountain spiders... ah nymph herb. I placed my shit. Someone came in and put down a med on TOP of the nymph herb spawn area and it suppressed it, too. It's like FAH. The glitching spawns sux, for sure, but I just dislike how TC looks when it's stacked and it sucks when people come up and build right next to you. I don't think siege should be the only option. Like I said, they should order the world with well-thought out house locations + stuff that can be built up and used. It seems to defeat the sandbox idea, but I think it would 'work' so much better than whatever else. MO is such an expansive game, giving people freedom of placement in side of what is already there is too much. WAIT N SEE.