3rd person in Tavern

Should Taverns allow 3rd person

• Total voters

Ragemeister

Jul 19, 2021
If taverns are going to be implemented as safe zones and guards will take weapons etc. as Henrik has mentioned I see no reason we should not allow a 3rd person mode in the Tavern for all the people who want it so badly.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Just from the sheer security risk that it could be somehow exploited to be usable outside of the tavern by even having the ability to do so working in engine is too high of a risk to me.

Mo1 had that vulnerability due to 3rd person existing as a turned off option, but apparently there were ways to get to it. None which were legal or they required a full access to the restricted in-game commands AFAIK.

If they even have the option to do it by a locked away command, they need to get rid of it.

Ragemeister

Jul 19, 2021
People can exploit anything if they really want to. If they implement it properly it should be fine and if people find a way to abuse it, just get rid of em and fix the issue when it arises.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Farligbonde

Jan 7, 2021
In the future when mo2 is a very solid game with good population, why not. Until then it's a bad idea to waste resources on.

• Angry

Raknor

Sep 14, 2021
Hyllspeia
The question is not "should taverns allow 3rd person" but rather "should SV spend resources in implementing 3rd person for a specific situation like taverns" and the answer is no... plenty of backlog already

Reactions: bbihah and Tzone

Ragemeister

Jul 19, 2021
The question is not "should taverns allow 3rd person" but rather "should SV spend resources in implementing 3rd person for a specific situation like taverns" and the answer is no... plenty of backlog already
You mean like the mini-games, weapons and face covering restrictions already planned? Adding 3rd person in specific zones would take little to no time at all compared to these features

Raknor

Sep 14, 2021
Hyllspeia
You mean like the mini-games, weapons and face covering restrictions already planned? Adding 3rd person in specific zones would take little to no time at all compared to these features

I meant like fixing horses, cooking, populate the world with flora and fauna but sorry... i thought the thread was serious. My mistake.

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
This is one of those things that are nice to have assuming that the devs want third person in the first place. As far as I'm aware, it's always been stated that they don't want third person at all. That said, sure if there ever was a place to view your character in third person, a Tavern could be an option. However, given house furniture will be a thing and therefore potentially mirrors, I'd prefer something along these lines giving you the ability to view your character as Bernfred pointed out, rather than just give them to Taverns just because.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
If taverns are going to be implemented as safe zones and guards will take weapons etc. as Henrik has mentioned I see no reason we should not allow a 3rd person mode in the Tavern for all the people who want it so badly.
That's a good point. I was going to say 'probably not', and also 'if you want a screenshot of you and your friends in the Tavern, ask a genuine 3rd person', but now I won't.
Just from the sheer security risk that it could be somehow exploited to be usable outside of the tavern by even having the ability to do so working in engine is too high of a risk to me.
If they start designing Mortal games to avoid security / exploit risks, where do you think Star Vault should stop?

Never mind; you're probably right.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
In the future when mo2 is a very solid game with good population, why not. Until then it's a bad idea to waste resources on.
Please don't spam the Feedback/Suggestions threads with how an idea is bad because of what priority the Devs might give it (which you do not know, until we hear Something Henrik Said about it).

All suggestions are implicitly 'for the future'.

Ragemeister

Jul 19, 2021
I meant like fixing horses, cooking, populate the world with flora and fauna but sorry... i thought the thread was serious. My mistake.
Thats a whole different topic, they are already planning on adding a bunch of RP elements to the tavers, adding a 3rd person toggle would take them no time at all if they decided it was something that fit.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
question is do "they" want 3rd person only in taverns when you dont have it outside? i guess people who want 3rd person also want to play with it.
tha game is labeled as 1st person so people who only play cause of 3rd person are anyway not in the game.

taverns are RP tutorial so it can work but getting players used to 3rd person and then take it away outside can be a bit like drug withdrawal and its ofc not realistic.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
getting players used to 3rd person and then take it away outside can be a bit like drug withdrawal and its ofc not realistic.
In games all the way back to EverQuest where you could shift from 3rd to 1st person view, some folks just did for circumstances, but that was long ago.

Nevertheless, I would not worry about players today in Mortal Online Beta & onward adapting to tavern view vs outside view. Most will adapt, those throwing hissy fits (if any) would be finding something else to throw tantrums about anyhow.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
In games all the way back to EverQuest where you could shift from 3rd to 1st person view, some folks just did for circumstances, but that was long ago.

Nevertheless, I would not worry about players today in Mortal Online Beta & onward adapting to tavern view vs outside view. Most will adapt, those throwing hissy fits (if any) would be finding something else to throw tantrums about anyhow.
maybe we should just test it how it feels ingame before release, whether its worth it or not.

• Love

Tuhtram

Jul 29, 2021
The Accursed Swamp of Florida
I've always been of the opinion that this game would be much more popular if it had both third person and first person as options. It's as simple as the fact that people like looking at their own characters in the game-world and being not locked in an inventory menu, and personally I don't feel 'immersed' in first person any more than I do in third. If anything, third person offers something that first person doesn't: Cinematic Quality. You can appreciate the details of what the perspective character is wearing, the little intricacies of the animations of different skills, we could actually see what the face animations are doing once that's in, and so-on. You can imagine you're watching a movie/tv show, and you can't do that with first person.

It's obvious that I would like third person. But, I also know what game I'm playing and I know it's one of those areas that are a core design element they don't want to compromise on, and I can respect that.

So, I don't expect to see it because they market themselves as a 'first person experience'. Even though I'd really like to. And I'm okay with that. I guess.

As a hopeful-but-futile aside, because I know how they feel about it—I'd even be happy if the only 'third person' being close over-the-shoulder views, like this:

x8uMxWb.jpg

Your character would still turn where you turn your camera, your camera view is still locked to where your character is looking, people could still sneak up behind you, the amount of corner peeking would be minimal (especially if the character was centered further), and so-on.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
It's as simple as the fact that people like looking at their own characters in the game-world and being not locked in an inventory menu, and personally I don't feel 'immersed' in first person any more than I do in third. If anything, third person offers something that first person doesn't: Cinematic Quality. You can appreciate the details of what the perspective character is wearing, the little intricacies of the animations of different skills, we could actually see what the face animations are doing once that's in, and so-on. You can imagine you're watching a movie/tv show, and you can't do that with first person.
All true.

Those worried about the use of 3rd person view for an advantage in danger and in battle nevertheless should approve of a full length mirror (with back view) in one's house, at least.

If someone says 'but the paperdoll', let's be honest: the paperdoll is subject to inadequate or weird lighthing conditions, and is nowhere near the size of other characters as your avatar sees them up close from head to foot.

Reactions: Tuhtram

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I'm averse to any kind of 3rd-person view in MO2, for me it goes against the whole concept of the game itself. Kind of like allowing consensual pvp or global banking for what some might argue as beneficial reasons. But for whom?

I think there is a question that the devs and players alike should ask (or revisit, as the case may be): What was the reason for making the game strictly first-person from the very beginning?

If we can't answer that definitively and with clarity, then there's no reason why we shouldn't only make third-person view available inside the taverns, but outside of it as well.

Add to that, we might as well change other parts of the vision for this game, if we don't know why we hold to that vision so strongly in the first place.

Games like Ultima Online in my opinion sold out its soul at the behest of EA who didn't know or believe in the original vision of Origin Systems Inc. "We create worlds" (Not clones with a different skin).

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
…ask (or revisit, as the case may be): What was the reason for making the game strictly first-person from the very beginning?
Maybe this: In EQ and again in SB and probably in WoW as well, I could when I wanted to do so use 3rd person to see all around my back and sides at once— and in some situations, see most of the way around a corner. That's a situation no min-maxer could resist in a game like Mortal Online 1 or 2. That's why they (Pv-anything & 3rd Person View) must never come together. Never.

• But I wanted my full-length mirror in my Tower. You play with your virtual doll / action figure in your way, I will play with mine in mine.