A way to tell if a player is peaceful or aggressive, helpful or intending to kill?

Callenmore

Feb 7, 2023
Let me start by saying I love the danger in the game. It's rough, it's scary, I am always on my toes ~ and I love it.
That being said, I myself am a "protective/peaceful" type of player - I would never attack another unless in an extreme situation, and I imagine there are others out there like myself, who could benefit from social interaction, trade on the road, or just giving directions - but I don't think much of this happens as I find myself Extremely wary of others in all situations in the wild. Again, very appreciated, the danger - but what I'm suggesting is something akin to a soft white glow (or something of the sorts) around the players name - some kind of indication that they have no murders on their record - something to let me know, at least partially, that they more-than-likely have peaceful intent. If I could tell who were more like me (friendly, role-playing, etc), I think players in general would create more social opportunities for making friends or for creating trade possibilities beyond just the broker, as opposed to avoiding others at all cost for fear of being looted/killed.

I'm just thinking of some kind of determinate that could reveal the "more or less" friendliness of other players based on play style so as to promote an increase in social interaction in the wild versus the typical avoidance (which could be a shame, because maybe the person on horse I'm sprinting away from might have that little extra food I need, and I some extra coin to trade them for.)

Reactions: Slarti Bartfast

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
It's based on mind set. I met this guy I knew from MO1 and he was speccing up (rip him, I think he quit :*(**), but he was at jungle camp and people were camping. This was in beta. He was there butchering the carcasses for money for books.

Another dude, also quit, also was doing that more recently and the guy who kept killing us ( who I would love to troll, shout out to the Jungle Dweller SLAUGHTER,) was like WAIT as soon as the guy went in on him and he was like I'll give you something and dude was like FOOD. I NEED FOOD.

I would say rather than worry about how to know who is hostile, I would learn to play in a low risk way so that you are always 'alert,' but you never feel in danger. In times of extreme stress like moving mats, it's different, but daily activities if anyone is feeling danger, it should be the other person. Walk up to people, begin to introduce yourself, and if they still kill you without you pulling out your wep they will get griefed. There are some guilds you realize are 'just like that.' Then I would go into every interaction with the highest hopes because most people are cool, there are just people who HONESTLY just wanna fit into the world as well, who will come by and derp you out because they can.

Those people are in some places more than others, some places they zerg them (like duli,) but I dunno if that's healthy for the pop. I mean, that's part of the game. Loot is good haha. But, yeah, I'd come up with a standard gear set that you find viable for pvp and pve that is cheap to produce, like Khurite Splinted, and a steel wep and then just act it out.

You can put your weapon away if you are far enough away. That's one signal. If you watch, you will be surprised what you see. You will also be surprised at what you notice. If you are really looking, you will see a different world. haha. It almost sounds like I'm trolling, but conduct yourself in the way you feel is right and if people become too much of a hassle for you (altho to be fair, they usually don't, I am just vindictive sometimes,) then you go in on them and make life miserable for them. It doesn't take very long to bust someone's ass out. Some people only understand that 'language.' At some point, they will realize that it's not really worth it to mess with you because you are doing your own thing. But you know who is hostile incase you are trying to do something important and trying not to die.

Reactions: Callenmore

Melhisedek

Dec 3, 2021
Tindrem
Let me start by saying I love the danger in the game. It's rough, it's scary, I am always on my toes ~ and I love it.
That being said, I myself am a "protective/peaceful" type of player - I would never attack another unless in an extreme situation, and I imagine there are others out there like myself, who could benefit from social interaction, trade on the road, or just giving directions - but I don't think much of this happens as I find myself Extremely wary of others in all situations in the wild. Again, very appreciated, the danger - but what I'm suggesting is something akin to a soft white glow (or something of the sorts) around the players name - some kind of indication that they have no murders on their record - something to let me know, at least partially, that they more-than-likely have peaceful intent. If I could tell who were more like me (friendly, role-playing, etc), I think players in general would create more social opportunities for making friends or for creating trade possibilities beyond just the broker, as opposed to avoiding others at all cost for fear of being looted/killed.

I'm just thinking of some kind of determinate that could reveal the "more or less" friendliness of other players based on play style so as to promote an increase in social interaction in the wild versus the typical avoidance (which could be a shame, because maybe the person on horse I'm sprinting away from might have that little extra food I need, and I some extra coin to trade them for.)
your offer is interesting in itself, but how do you imagine this in real life, people with a smiling face most often turn out to be complete scum, and an evil freak is almost always honest and reliable, realism is still desirable here......I'll finish with a joke, don't take it as trolling: instead of the white aura that you suggested, it's better to have yellow-brown smudges on your pants

• Haha

Callenmore

Feb 7, 2023
Very well thought out and no doubt based on experience, thank you Emdash.
Yes, the sheathing of a weapon is definately a good signal - one I try to employ for most who I approach, or who approach me.

Callenmore

Feb 7, 2023
Thank you Melhisedek. Truly, one can never know the intent of another, history has proven this quite well.
I think, in time, and experience, I would become accustomed to who was generally decent (as is in real life, the more acquainted, the more likely they are and remain decent). The weapon sheathing idea that Emdash mentioned, also, is a good one.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I think, in time, and experience, I would become accustomed to who was generally decent (

This is the key, and be careful who you trust. Don't believe the rumors, everyone can be full of shit. Believe what you see. You will know how people act if you stay as a 'small time' player. The people who treat small time players well are generally decent. Some people just think they are loot bags. Plenty of really cool people. I'd say at least 50% chance the person you meet is cool, and while that's not great odds, that's a vast under-estimate. The point is, just meet more people and you'll be good.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Baddies use to get red names, those were good times...
Pretty much this. In MO1 after 5 murder counts your flag turned red and you couldnt go into towns. Anywhere you went people would see your red flag instantly and know you to be a murderer. It was simple and straight forward and worked very well for peaceful/law abiding players. As a blue player you were in the driver seat and could quickly make some choices on whether to run away or attack with impunity.

Unfortunately the “pvp” community (largely non law abiding) complained to no end that it was too hard to be red all the time. So Henrik bowed to the pressure and came up with this hidden murderer system that works very well for the pvp crowd but not so much for the rest.

Now, when in the wild, you have to treat everyone like a red player and always expect to be attacked.

So to answer your question, the old game did have a system that showed murderers, but they removed in to facilitate “pvp”( and murderers). It is incredibly easier to be a greefer and murderer in MO2, than it was in MO1.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Xyndius

Callenmore

Feb 7, 2023
Interesting. Thank you Jack, that does sound like a good system, but I can also understand how those others would/could complain. Personally I like this red system you describe; perhaps if they found a way to balance it or something, I don't know.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Yeah I would like to have some sort of a pvp tabard you can wear that allows you more openness to pvp and allows pvp with other pvpers for free. THAT IS RED. And would make your name red.

They actually used to have player killer titles, too, and people would definitely use them. It's pretty much a meme: all of the 'grey killed' titles in MO1 were people who were blue blocking in the GY, so griefers, and a lot of griefers still rock grey kill titles. No blue kill titles anymore tho. Pretty much a shame. They said they didn't wanna reward the behavior, but it is what it is. It drives the game.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I am just friendly and try to talk to anyone that approaches me.

Even when there was actual red marked players, I still tried to talk to them.

You would be surprised how often it went peacefully.

In the end if someone is going to kill you they will do it no matter what.

Even if they are marked some way. They still can go either way.

Melhisedek

Dec 3, 2021
Tindrem
it would be nice if a section was added for us, the same as "friends", but also "enemies" also separately. it would be possible to see from afar who to attack, or vice versa, to run away in advance so as not to read the names in order to remember which asshole appeared on the horizon

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I would also lean more towards judging a player's disposition towards you by their words and actions more than anything on the outward appearance.

Beyond that, I would look at consistency and pattern of behaviour. If a player was being friendly and nice to you one moment but when opportunity presents itself they betray that trust, you know you can't have your back facing them at any given time.

Reactions: Amadman

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
I would also lean more towards judging a player's disposition towards you by their words and actions more than anything on the outward appearance.

Beyond that, I would look at consistency and pattern of behaviour. If a player was being friendly and nice to you one moment but when opportunity presents itself they betray that trust, you know you can't have your back facing them at any given time.

Patterns of behaviour doesnt help you stay alive when you meet an unknown random in the wild.

Obviously if you have had dealings with a specific individual before youll know what to expect. The OP is talking about random encounters in the world and people you don't know.

Words don't mean anything and if you have to wait to see actions you are often at a disadvantage once he's put a few arrows into your horse or hit you with fulmination or 5 of his buddies roll up on you.

Reactions: Melhisedek

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
Patterns of behaviour doesnt help you stay alive when you meet an unknown random in the wild.

Obviously if you have had dealings with a specific individual before youll know what to expect. The OP is talking about random encounters in the world and people you don't know.

Words don't mean anything and if you have to wait to see actions you are often at a disadvantage once he's put a few arrows into your horse or hit you with fulmination or 5 of his buddies roll up on you.

If five people roll up on me alone then I figure them willing to talk is probably my only chance of survival.

I consider everyone a potential threat and try to avoid encounters in the wild as much as possible.

So, I am normally not going to run up on people I see in the wild and try to talk to them.

But when one does come up I will attempt to talk until attacked.

If it does come to getting attacked I am surely dead regardless. Since I am not a warrior of any type.

Another factor for me is how much I currently have to lose. Time, money, items ect...

If I have little to lose then I may just approach someone in the wild just to see what comes of it.

I have had many friendly encounters this way over the years.

Melhisedek

Dec 3, 2021
Tindrem
If five people roll up on me alone then I figure them willing to talk is probably my only chance of survival.

I consider everyone a potential threat and try to avoid encounters in the wild as much as possible.

So, I am normally not going to run up on people I see in the wild and try to talk to them.

If it does come to getting attacked I am surely dead regardless. Since I am not a warrior of any type.

Another factor for me is how much I currently have to lose. Time, money, items ect...

If I have little to lose then I may just approach someone in the wild just to see what comes of it.

i.pngare you like a puss in boots?

• Haha

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021

Amdamn im not sure how you can possibly sit here and say “well i talk to people because that’s the only option i have anyways as im always naked and suck at fighting anyways”.

This is not a viable or enjoyable playstile for 99% of players. Congrats on being the 1% that makes it work.

Talking to people while they kill you may fill your social RP meter but it does nothing for keeping you alive. Try and walk around in a steel set in the wild and talk your way out of getting PKed.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Amdamn im not sure how you can possibly sit here and say “well i talk to people because that’s the only option i have anyways as im always naked and suck at fighting anyways”.

This is not a viable or enjoyable playstile for 99% of players. Congrats on being the 1% that makes it work.

Talking to people while they kill you may fill your social RP meter but it does nothing for keeping you alive. Try and walk around in a steel set in the wild and talk your way out of getting PKed.

Jack, I disagree. Throw that back at me if you want, in the same way. I'm not him. He's not me. I understand him. He's a real dude. People can sense that. If you get killed, you get killed. I am not him, again, I am a much more aggressive personality, but I can sense that he has 'it.' It's a special thing that allows people to play MO without being completely mindfucked and those are the kind of people we want in Eternal, WAH.

But yeah, it's a grand illusion, meme game. Still fun to immerse yourself. You'd be surprised what I've talked my way out of, and I don't give people shit. I just start talking to them. Force them into conversation. Usually, you figure out that they are just a dude. Or they are like - mercies you, puts away wep and punches you - and it's like OK bud. That's what I am saying as I die, cuz you know, we are immortals. "I see how it is."

I've made tons of friends in pvp games, even people farming me. Even people who realized at some point I wasn't trash, who I might roll around with in the right moment if they asked for my support. Or if we ever had a common enemy, that's MUAH. Or sometimes it's just like yo this dude over here flexing in a steel suit if you want one. GG. There are a bunch of options in a sandbox. Pvp is just another card in the deck. People throw pvp cuz they are scared. Even some people in talented guilds are scared, scared of losing their gear, whatever... but keep in mind, haha this is turning into an epic shit post, anyway, keep in mind that there are different times.

If you go into a dungeon, you are fighting. It's not talky time. I mean, it IS if possible, but there is discretion. If you go out to fight, you go out to fight, but I think dude is just talking about during your regular life, just gaming, making alil gainz, whatever. It's bad for your sanity to play a game in such a mind set. You come across people and you should be like oh shit... sup? Often times I come up on people and we surprise each other loool. But yeah, if you are consistently trying to farm me or my guild or just everyone in general, I'm not gonna be like oh hi bro. I might be like oh it's you. I can still throw out a gf as I ride away. I can spare a haha before we start fighting.

Generally, if you are around an area and doing things in that area, you will be safe there. Why? People will know you and understand. Sometimes other people might come from SCARY OTHER PLACES but... why not talk to them? Information is more valuable than whatever gear I have.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com

That's why I said actions and words, but it doesn't have to include both for me to judge if a player is friendly or hostile.

In the wild, everyone is a potential hostile to me until they prove with their actions and/or words, and after that consistency and pattern of behaviour. Or unless they are people I happen to know and have come to trust, again through their actions and words with consistency and pattern of behaviour.

Reactions: Amadman