Fishing nerfs took the wrong approach to address excessive income

Anachroniser

Aug 9, 2020
Fishing tables were quite recently changed in an attempt to address the incredibly high income that was possible with it. Players could easily make over 200 gold an hour while naked with under 3g in equipment at no risk. I see fully why there was a perceived need to nerf this. The issue I have is how they decided to go about nerfing it.

Fishing has generally relied on a system where certain fish appear at certain heights with certain hook sizes and baits. The nerf has effectively removed the restrictions on many fish leading to rare fish becoming impossible to catch consistently and 90% of the caught fish being effectively trash (herbreus,canna,trudis, etc.). Where you could prior use a certain hook and bait setup to reliably catch boarfish you now catch over 90% of these trash fish. Boarfish is not very good or profitable.

Why this matters:
Some fish like calxfish or the rays serve a certain purpose that cannot be filled through any other means, they need to be obtainable reliably for them to serve their function. A quite significant draw of fishing is and always has been finding and catching the rarest fish, which took a massive amount of time and effort. The current system makes the discovery of new fish beyond impractical and bordering on impossible. Before, using the proper setup at the right spot and time of day would yield a relatively high catch rate on these special fish, generally in excess of 50%. This meant that if you used the right setup you would catch that fish in a few casts and could note that you found a working combination. Some fish have relatively narrow time windows to catch them, some less than 60 minutes of real life time. With the catch rates as low as they are, it is quite possible and in fact probable that you could fish with the proper setup in the right spot and time and not catch even one of that special fish for the entire time window allowed. This is incredibly unfulfilling and discourages discovery, the very core of the fishing system. There are also simply better ways to address that issue.

There are a number of choices for what to do instead, the only thing they have to accomplish is to reduce the income from fishing to levels that are in line with other methods at similar investment.
A) Reduce the bite frequency of rare fish and/or the reel rate. Maybe instead of getting a silkray to bite in 3 minutes then reeling it in for 7 minutes and getting 30g it could take in excess of 10 minutes for each stage and halve the income per time. This still allows the player to consistently obtain rare fish and still allows for discovery though it does slow it slightly.
B) This is the most obvious one, just reduce gold value of fish, fish meat and fish scales. Its really that simple. Also probably reduce blood kua nourish
C) Raise the investment to fish. This can be done with special crafted rods. Perhaps the player must craft lures which have a more significant cost. Perhaps fishing as a whole would require more than just 100 primary points. Maybe the very large fish need a deep sea rod or the rod snaps?
D) Make rare fish no longer 10g per unit. In mo1 rays were 20g per unit. This effectively halves the income generated by fishing assuming the weight of fish caught is constant. It also makes the logistics of transporting fish much more important which further harms profitability. It also reduces the capacity to generate masses of scales. If 20g per unit isnt enough, just go higher.

All of the solutions I proposed allow for the discovery that is essential to fishing. All of the solutions proposed still allow for the targeted fishing that has always been a part of mortal. The changes frankly felt like a slap in the face for anybody who liked the old system or intended on utilizing it in any way. On top of that some of the things that can be caught in the new fishing tables are just absurd. Why are there frogs 10m under the surface of the water?

Cddizzym

Aug 28, 2021
I agree with you 100%

I've spent many hours fishing and many more building a spreadsheet and knowledge base. It feels like a massive slap in my face when I work hard to discover so many secrets only to have an extra layer slapped ontop just to nerf fishing.

I agree fishing had to change with the current gold prices, though the way they did it was clearly lazy and not thought out. It will harm fishing in the long run.

Please just nerf the price per unit, amount dropped or increase cast timers. As the above post even mentions many more ways to deal with it.

This just feels like a easy way to nerf fishing into the ground and actually having to deal with the underlying issues.

Reactions: Apsalar

Braxtin

Nov 29, 2021
Make Fishing Great Again. 2022

Return the tables to pre-patch values and lower the sell value of certian fish .

Calcal

Dec 11, 2021
They choose the absolute worst way to "balance" fishing. Instead of bringing in line with other activities they killed any desire to even engage in it. Getting herbeus at skill lvl 100 9/10 times from the jungle to the north sea is a horrendous way to solve what really is a vendor price issue. Any of the solutions above would do. Just cut the gold it give in half, that simple and you save an entire gameplay loop from becoming a form of torture.

Last edited:

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Seems legit.

Comments:

C) Raise the investment to fish. This can be done with special crafted rods. Perhaps the player must craft lures which have a more significant cost.

^^ Great idea.

Also probably reduce blood kua nourish

^^ - Chef hat on - ... yea..... lol. Oh SV you lovable bastids.

I think they should make it so you have to go to unsafe places to fish for good fish HOW U LIKE THAT??? I didn't know shit about fishing, but I remember finding nice secluded spots. They were safe, but it was not because I couldn't be PK'd... rather because I was well hidden. Nerf town tables, or add in a BDO like system of 'resource exhaustion' where everything takes way longer... then make more fun spots to go to to fish. Spots that fishers know, fishers can gank other fishers... etc.

But yea I am a nub at fishing, so... I like that it's a semi-deep system tho. One of the few MO has left! People who can set it up right should still be rewarded handsomely.

I need to try fishing tho, def. I hope it's not all about hook size and bait and still has something to do with location/time... like I said finding secret fish spots is COOL. Underwater caves with pools to the center of the earth that have crazyyyy fishhh. Well of course you'd not be able to get out with them, ahaha. Damn. Maybe they could be little fish? Or add some kind of fishbag that you can carry fish in and still swim :eek:

Edit: but yea enough wood in the game to make fish pole crafting for sure. Lines humm... silk, ironsilk? Ironsilk loool. Maybe they could make cooking INTERESTING again by allowing us to create creative baits for ya ;) ;)

Last edited:

Tzone

May 16, 2021
It was fishing balance not a nerf. Fishing was just so broken. Being able to sit in a town and make the best money in game while other players slave away at PvE spots putting effort into the game got a fraction of that. Now you still make a lot of money with very little effort but not as much more as someone actually putting effort and risk into the game.

Reactions: Turbizzler

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
Like I said in the other thread

Kind of the point of testing out fishing during the test environment, to see how the difficulty was and if the time investment vs the reward was balanced or not, which wasn't balanced at all. Way too easy earning a lot of gold in short amounts of time. Fish distribution was wack too, could catch a lot of good fish in a tent in Toxai.

It's good for the health of the game, bad for those who were hoping they could abuse how easy it was to farm 100s of gold in a short amount of time. It'll still be possible, just not as consistent as it was pre-patch.
Fishing pre-patch was severely imbalanced. Fish distribution made little sense, too much good fish were concentrated into small areas, while others areas were scarce. Shit, actual fishing cities(Meduli) had a limited fish pool in their waters. The concentrated locations, mixed with weight yields, vendor values and butchery yields, made fishing overly profitable for risking little, and literally sitting in a single spot catching mid to high tier fish easily.

It's good SV is mixing things up, I wish more mechanics and their yields would have tweaks, throwing off veterans from the first game and new comers into the MO world who have invested time, trying to get a big head start on release. The more even playing field release is, the more chance less things can be abused and the more chance people will have to put in effort to gain a foothold.

Fisher(Sath)

Apr 6, 2021
Nerf the shit out of the vendor sale price. I don't understand the appeal to have high profit vendor fish when you KNOW people will be botting this for free gold. Even without botting I can spend some time fishing and farm it out all because I can vendor it. If a fish is a "Trash" fish it should not sell well, if its a "rare" fish it should be good for crafting -something-, be it food, potions, armor, etc. This puts the value of fish into the player market rather than it being all about how much you can vendor in an hour.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Lower npc value of fish. Make fish valuable as a commodity you sell to other players. Fishing should also have other uses than trying to get fish IMO.

Use it to hook certain mobs that you'd otherwise have to go down in water to fight, how about accessing loot that has been lost in water in the area?
How about areas that you can fish for items in general? Sunken temple or library that is hinted at in lore or hinted at through ingame means somewhere towards its location? Fish up relics and scrolls or part of scrolls. W/E.

TLDR
Rather than just trying to regulate worth based on it being a gold churning machine. Make it have its own place in the game world alongside all other playstyles and professions. Not something that is just a sidepiece gold farming tool.

Apsalar

May 31, 2020
Half the price of blackwhisker Fish in half and it would be in line with other money sources.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
It should really be lower if you can fish in guard zone.
That plus more invest in fishing equipment (higher price for the fishing rod or special "expert" fishing rods to catch the rare ones).
Then people need to leave the town to fish and risk their equipment, and therefore it's fair if they get a high reward.

Banespike

Apr 14, 2021
That plus more invest in fishing equipment (higher price for the fishing rod or special "expert" fishing rods to catch the rare ones).
Then people need to leave the town to fish and risk their equipment, and therefore it's fair if they get a high reward.
I highly agree, there should be no reason that you can make tons of gold with 2g investment for baits / fishing rod in town with no risk at all

Anachroniser

Aug 9, 2020
It was fishing balance not a nerf. Fishing was just so broken. Being able to sit in a town and make the best money in game while other players slave away at PvE spots putting effort into the game got a fraction of that. Now you still make a lot of money with very little effort but not as much more as someone actually putting effort and risk into the game.

The latter part of this is just blatantly untrue. The most profitable setup this patch still comes in short of killing pigs and vendoring their butchered components(about 60g per hour). The issue is also not that the income was decreased as I stated above, its a matter that the core of the fishing system which is discovery now no longer works as a system. This is the same issue with cooking. Yes you can still cook but the underlying system that had any appeal in mo1 and gave any reason to invest into and specialize in cooking is completely gone. I would rather have the old system with nothing from fish being vendorable than the mess of the current system. The system not being obscenely profitable is not an issue, its that it is inferior to literally any other option including those that require no knowledge. Even if you wish to fish without profit being a concern, that too has been destroyed. Also not sure if you know this but a balance change that reduces the effectiveness of something is a nerf.

Calcal

Dec 11, 2021
Anyone know if SV has said anything new regarding the changes? Need to keep this topic going to get a better rebalance of the system.

Fisher(Sath)

Apr 6, 2021
Anyone know if SV has said anything new regarding the changes? Need to keep this topic going to get a better rebalance of the system.
Over in this thread we have this.

The fishing skill level does not affect what fishes you can catch.

And no fishing areas have been changed, nor has the setup for depth and bait etc for any fishes except Herbeus, Trudis and Canna, and those values are still being tweaked.

So all fishing info you gathered so far are still valid, excluding the above named fishes.

Reactions: Calcal

[CTX] Contractor

Dec 31, 2021
I feel like it was the wrong way of going about it, and too harsh (and not noted in a patch notes, just done until players figured it out.)

Not to say I agree with it being super lucrative. But now I feel like not a lot of people will even touch it now.

They do this big stream focused on it, make it super good; then essentially butcher any kind of want to do it with a nerf / 'balance change'.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I feel like it was the wrong way of going about it, and too harsh (and not noted in a patch notes, just done until players figured it out.)

Not to say I agree with it being super lucrative. But now I feel like not a lot of people will even touch it now.

They do this big stream focused on it, make it super good; then essentially butcher any kind of want to do it with a nerf / 'balance change'.
Fishing still makes butt loads of money and gives access to heavy carapace.