Yet another request for a lore section on the forums | Request Granted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuhtram

Jul 29, 2021
The Accursed Swamp of Florida
I'm tired of missing out on What Mats Says because he posts it somewhere other than this forum.
It's frustrating for sure. Mats expressing a desire to post lore on the forums and us having no lore section is a little disheartening. It's not like adding the new section would even take a while, so I don't quite get it.
Can we make it lore/history? Cuz both can be true. I think it would be fun esp for newcomers who don't know what happened. Vids, too. Tie the lore into the history? Or not... :eek: sorry if I derail'd.

Cuz IMO LORE is starting pt, but history becomes lore in a game like this.
I could see player history as being a subsection of a forum, absolutely. I think SV should definitely do that.

Totally just being fully honest here: There have been player-created/acted events/histories (not applicable to anyone here, names and faces I haven't seen since the mid-2010s) and things that I've just fully disliked and have been thankful that they aren't 'The Official Lore'. And I would hate it if people rolled into the game and didn't quite understand that it wasn't the official lore and got turned off by it. We need some degree of ability to discern between the common starting point (lore) which all players can agree on, and the player-created stuff where we can pick-and-choose.

If SV plans on introducing certain players'/guilds' actions into the 'official' lore, which they definitely could and I think it'd be great, there's got to be a quality control element to it. I think that the 'official lore' and the 'player history' do need their own separate spaces. (Or at least their own tags, but SV hasn't really done forum content tagging.) The truth is that many MO players just do not care about the 'lore of the universe of Nave', which is fine and I don't think they should have to. Many are much more interested in the player history (which honestly has a lot more content going for it as of right now), but those two don't exactly always overlap. They're close relatives and sometimes they sort-of work together, but a lot of the time they're too fundamentally different in intent to be considered the same thing.

At least, in my opinion.

Love a lot of the history, and I do think it's important enough that it deserves its own space.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
They should just put this stuff tucked away in remote corners of the game. Like a language codex on a cave wall. Or in a painting in a dungeon. Or scratched an a bunch of monoliths in the jungle. Then random lore bits written in that language scattered throughout the game.
Have multiple lores in different languages for the different cultures.
let players find it and put it together and figure it out.

that would be the best lore experience ever.

Tuhtram

Jul 29, 2021
The Accursed Swamp of Florida
They should just put this stuff tucked away in remote corners of the game. Like a language codex on a cave wall. Or in a painting in a dungeon. Or scratched an a bunch of monoliths in the jungle. Then random lore bits written in that language scattered throughout the game.
Have multiple lores in different languages for the different cultures.
let players find it and put it together and figure it out.

that would be the best lore experience ever.
Yup it should be in-game too, that was a part of what Mats mentioned as well. It’s just hard to put a huge glossary in-game. Maybe as a dictionary, but as far as I’m aware “English” doesn’t exist though so it becomes a bit meta-strange if you buy a Tindremene book on Tindremene language?

I agree though. More lore in the game.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
It's really easy to make a sub-section for Official* Lore, nest to the one for Role-Playing and player-created lore.
  • Xenforo forums are not hard to admin.
The only problem I see with having one is that Mats & SV would have to fill it, edit it, and sometimes ret-con it, starting with some material right away. (They actually have enough material to start one, right now.) It would look bad to make such a section & to leave it empty, but it looks worse not to have one at all.

The Official Lore should be beside, but separate from the player-created Lore, to distinguish them. No stickies for OL needed, that way.

Fairly quickly, at any rate of accumulation, the role-play and player-created lore could bury the Official Lore if the OL is not made a separate subsection and not stickied / stuck.

*Official means created by Star Vault for the entire Lore & Role-Play section, agreed? I've seen the word get over-used a lot.

Reactions: Tuhtram
Status
Not open for further replies.