wtf!

Joe McFly

Jan 26, 2022
can someone explain this to me? I just got killed next to a guard by a blue player named "Madlad"! Morin Khur Bridge to the Graveyard. There is no such thing!

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
More info needed. Where you grey? Are your a (hidden) red player? Do you have very low kurite reputation? Did you hit him first? Could you have mistaken the blue colour to that of allies tag(they changed that colour with trinket patch).

Joe McFly

Jan 26, 2022
More info needed. Where you grey? Are your a (hidden) red player? Do you have very low kurite reputation? Did you hit him first? Could you have mistaken the blue colour to that of allies tag(they changed that colour with trinket patch).
Here's what happened. I wanted to go down the bridge towards the cemetery. In front of me I saw a red player attacking someone. Because he was red I shot him with my bow and helped the other players. But didn't do much. Then he tried to attack me. I'm then back towards the Guards. Then he disappeared for a short time. I waited a few more minutes to see if he was still there. Then he suddenly came straight at me and attacked me even though I was right next to the guard. I wasn't red. I'm not a pvp fan. Why should I be grey? I have done nothing wrong.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Flags in this game can be quite confusing at times rspecially with the new hidden red murder system.
It sounds like you attacked him first so you went local grey to him and thats why he was able to attack you in front of guards.

The aggressor always goes local grey to the victim unless the victim is already general grey. Local grey means that you are only grey to that specific person (everyone else sees you as blue), while general grey means you are grey to everyone(like when you hit a blue player or commit a crime).

Like Shmerrick said, the only way he was red for you is if you had a bounty contract on him. Even still, once you attack your bounty contract you go local grey to him and he can defend himself (and kill you) in front of guards and they wont help you.

Its definitely a much more convoluted system than it used to be and can get quite confusing when healing friends is involved.

If in doubt, never hit first. Always wait for them to hit you and then they will go grey and guards will help you. Also do not get baited like some vets will do. They swing at you with criminal actions turned off so it looks like they are hitting you, but you take no damage (and they stay blue). A lot of nubes panic and swing back not realizing its fake swings. Then they turn grey and the vet can kill them with impunity.

Last edited:

Joe McFly

Jan 26, 2022
Flags in this game can be quite confusing at times rspecially with the new hidden red murder system.
It sounds like you attacked him first so you went local grey to him and thats why he was able to attack you in front of guards.

The aggressor always goes local grey to the victim unless the victim is already general grey. Local grey means that you are only grey to that specific person (everyone else sees you as blue), while general grey means you are grey to everyone(like when you hit a blue player or commit a crime).

Like Shmerrick said, the only way he was red for you is if you had a bounty contract on him. Even still, once you attack your bounty contract you go local grey to him and he can defend himself (and kill you) in front of guards and they wont help you.

Its definitely a much more convoluted system than it used to be and can get quite confusing when healing friends is involved.

If in doubt, never hit first. Always wait for them to hit you and then they will go grey and guards will help you. Also do not get baited like some vets will do. They swing at you with criminal actions turned off so it looks like they are hitting you, but you take no damage (and they stay blue). A lot of nubes panic and swing back not realizing its fake swings. Then they turn grey and the vet can kill them with impunity.
Thank you for the detailed answer. Helped me a little.

Kaquenqos

May 3, 2022
Thank you for the detailed answer. Helped me a little.
Welcome to the horrendous PvP mechanics of MO2... If you thought the flag system was bad, wait until you learn about reputation, deliveries & MC.

Literally no flags in wilderness would be a big improvement over the current flag system. The way it works is so bad that even an outright absence of it would be an improvement. They half-implemented a broken RPK mechanic with the intent of curtailing grief, and effectively just put the ball perpetually in the court of gankers and griefers, while also making RPKers have a more tedious gameplay loop. It's literally the worst of both worlds.

The PvP in this game is the punchline of a complete joke of a system in terms of PvP mechanics. Basically, the only way to participate in PvP is to literally go out with the intent to kill, and just accept that you can easily be punished and potentially lose access to all of your progress. That's the RPK system currently. The game literally does not mechanically allow for non-RPK playstyles, and then punishes people who do want to enjoy an RPK playstyle... It's beyond hopeless.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jatix

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
When the first game came out we got a detailed pdf that explained the system at the time pretty well.

Prior to coming out of the testing phases of MO2 I messaged Henrik asking if we could get something like that again.

He said that they should be able to do something like that again.

From what I know though, they never did release anything like that this time.

A shame really. It would surely be beneficial for new players to have a strong understanding of the the system early on.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
When the first game came out we got a detailed pdf that explained the system at the time pretty well.

Prior to coming out of the testing phases of MO2 I messaged Henrik asking if we could get something like that again.

He said that they should be able to do something like that again.

From what I know though, they never did release anything like that this time.

A shame really. It would surely be beneficial for new players to have a strong understanding of the the system early on.
I saw a weird flow chart a while ago for MO2, so it exists. But it just kidna shows how overly complicated and abusable the system is. If you need a flow chart to try and make sense of your games standing and flagging system, it needs a rework.

Reactions: jamesm and Amadman

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I saw a weird flow chart a while ago for MO2, so it exists. But it just kidna shows how overly complicated and abusable the system is. If you need a flow chart to try and make sense of your games standing and flagging system, it needs a rework.

I can agree with this completely. But as it stands there is a reason to have one since the current system is not very intuitive.

At least they did get one out there. I would like to see it be more readily available to new players though.

As I mentioned before, I did not even know they ever put one out.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Flagging System Mini Guide - v1.0.2.7  rMortalOnline.png

Thats the flow chart in case someone here was curious. Its from a Rombo post on reddit. Like i said, overly complicated and confusing (local grey/general grey) especially for new players.

Biggest confusing part is how similar the 2 grey colours are. A new player will see a grey name tag and think that player a criminal (not realizing he hit first), when instead its a local grey tag and guards wont help you. since you are standing next to guards you think you are still blue and protected, when instead you are a free kill for that local grey player. This gets even more confusing in large battles.

Last edited:

Kaquenqos

May 3, 2022
View attachment 4544

Thats the flow chart in case someone here was curious. Its from a Rombo post on reddit. Like i said, overly complicated and confusing (local grey/general grey) especially for new players.

Biggest confusing part is how similar the 2 grey colours are. A new player will see a grey name tag and think that player a criminal (not realizing he hit first), when instead its a local grey tag and guards wont help you. since you are standing next to guards you think you are still blue and protected, when instead you are a free kill for that local grey player. This gets even more confusing in large battles.
This system right here, plus the reality that reputation is tied almost solely to running deliveries between towns, has nothing but bad implications on the PvP operation of MO2.

I'm a broken record at this point, but this needs to be addressed. The more I learned about flagging, rep & MC, the less I wanted to play the game. You can't afford to leave 1/10 implemented placeholder mechanics for PvP in effect in a full-loot PvP game indefinitely while you work on other filler content. This stuff should be priority... Unless this rep/flag/mc system is how they actually intend it to work at the end of the day, in which case, the community needs to make it very clear that it is not okay.

The game is not unapproachable because it is harsh; to some extent people are attracted to it because of the sense of danger.

It's unapproachable because it's completely arbitrary and seemingly willfully unjust. The mechanics implemented to create a sense of law & order are complete and utter flops, and need to be reworked, or discarded for something that can work. If they are unable to implement the kind of complex scaling mechanics in terms of reputation gain & loss needed to make a system like the current one work, they should cut losses immediately and discard rep for something more rudimentary that they can implement properly.

Nobody is going to want to play a full loot pvp game where the mechanics surrounding pvp are so broken that they may as well just be there to service those who will exploit them.

'wtf!' basically sums up my sentiment when I learned about how flagging, reputation and murder counts currently work in MO2 as well.

Last edited:

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
View attachment 4544

Thanks for posting this chart!

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Bigbadwolff

Mar 29, 2021
What you guys dont know is that the guards are bugged there like they dont see the bridge or something in think is because is the diferent level higher or lower,
I see it all the time guards siting next to the PK-er and not attacking because guard is on higher level and PK-er on lower level on stairs of bridge.

Omerta and Bringards camp there usually.