Would You Wait Longer to Test Housing/Keeps Before Persistent?

Would you wait longer so TC can be tested properly before persistent?

• Yes

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Yes... Obviously yes. The fact this is even a question is absurd.

Votes: 26 46.4%
  • Don't Know/ Don't Care / Etc.

Votes: 3 5.4%

• Total voters

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Currently it apparently is the plan to release Housing Keeps at the START or persistence instead of the end of beta. Would you rather they push back persistent a little bit to make sure we can test these features and find major bugs BEFORE it's the start of persistent and it matters, or would you rather they go into persistent with an untested territorial control system?

• Haha
Reactions: Deleted member 44

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Currently it apparently is the plan to release Housing Keeps at the START or persistence instead of the end of beta. Would you rather they push back persistent a little bit to make sure we can test these features and find major bugs BEFORE it's the start of persistent and it matters, or would you rather they go into persistent with an untested territorial control system?
The problem is that I do not think it will be tested if it is placed into Beta. Not thoroughly anyway. It takes so much time/material/organization to build a keep and infrastructure that I do not think it will be done in Beta the same way it would be in game. The issues that the TC system had in MO1 did not become apparent for many many months after the system was released.

Now they could find ways to test different small parts of the system by organizing people to help with specific things, but they aren't that organized and players often have agenda different than SV's. This would however let them test for technical problems. The biggest issues with the TC system in MO1 were not technical ones at all. They were deep balance/game design problems which will probably not come to light in a Beta test. People are not playing the Beta in the same way that the live game gets played. SV should have a lot of data about this system from MO1, hopefully they can interpret it correctly and act on it wisely.

I suspect that SV needs a year or more to build the TC system and plans to implement it step by step over a lot of time. The keeps that they have in game at persistence will be rudimentary and not the final version. Designed only to fill the need of being a home for groups who can't live in a town. If we are lucky they can fuel some political action, but I wouldn't be surprised if at first they can't even be destroyed.

Edit: added
Believe it or not, TC is not a necessary part of the game. MO1 had many fun times before full TC. A lot of players would say that it was more fun before TC. (Population numbers over time would reflect this as well, I expect.)

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I voted no only because TC I believe would be too far away. Housing might be close enough to finish that you could delay a quarter.

Its safer for SV to release early to get revenue and have build upon that year worth of budget with incoming revenue. If anything bad happens they would have a year to fall back on instead of maybe 2-3 quarters after the planned persistence date. Imagine if SV finished TC 3/4s ayear from now but it had issues that delayed the release again. They would have only 3 months of budget to fix it instead of a full year of saftey netting.

The excuse from SV which this time I agree with is what does it matter if there is no TC in game at persistence, TC is endgame and would take a very long time for players to get enough resources to even do TC. So their logic is that players wouldnt even be able to use TC at the start of the game anyways so why delay for TC. Same for housing system.

SV has been developing at a very fast pace right now which means stuff will be broken every patch no matter what. It would be miracle level with a high tempo update schedule that the game is not buggy. Usually studios will have a crunch like this and then at the end they will go back and fix everything. But crunches for non open/closed beta's. While SV is crunching and then pushing out to a played server during this development sprint.

They should how every never let this happen after persistence. After early access launch and I am paying I will let a lot less go when it comes to bugs making it into the game. They should 100% have a test server for us to give our seal of approval before next update after persistence launches. SV doesnt have a great track record of knowing what is and isnt working or bugged. Most of the time they think something is working but it isnt. Thats why players need access to a test server well before each patch to find bugs and things that broke.

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
I would not like to wait even longer for persistent state only to get a tested houses TC. I would like to get houses and TC step by step, maybe start with house placing and no furniture, and start with the keep build and capture system. After some weeks add some basic TC functions and some add-ons for the houses.

Jybwee

May 28, 2020
TC in MO2 seems like it's setting itself up to be a MUCH bigger deal than MO1. So i'd think that StarVault would want the testing. Especially the details like taxes and HP/Def on towers etc..... And from a business standpoint i can see why testing would be beneficial in the long run. As would any effort to make the game more stable before release.

BUT! .. For me personally, as a player. I can thoroughly enjoy the game without any TC whatsoever, so i want persistent soon :)

Reactions: Suttner

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
Personally I think they need to match at least what was available TC-wise at launch of MO1. Meaning keeps basic functionality and room inside the Palisades for some houses. Even without the full kit of TC stuff that can come later the basic stuff will provide groups something to have as a goal.

The basic player housing should be in as well because it serves the same value as a keep but for much smaller groups. It provides a goal to work towards. The house needs to have basic upgrade ability for some appliances, vendor, and stables...decorations and other junk can come later...all the TC structures if they plan to keep any of that junk can come later..the original housing in MO was perfectly functional discounting some mechanical annoyances with engineering/ownership transfer etc... But it would work as a placeholder for an expanded more modular/personalized system that could be added later.

The downside to not having this in at persistence is that people will just leave the game as it gets stale and they've built out there character and are stick living in town...they need to have that next thing to work towards.

Reactions: Suttner

Weathermore

Apr 5, 2021
The game is nowhere near ready for persistent release. It is a TERRIBLE idea to release housing and all the bugs that may arise within the first 3 months of release (when playerbase will be the highest.) imagine if there is a bug where loading in a house crashes your client. We have seen with this beta that they can radically break the game with patches, and something this large will surely have massive game breaking bugs. And people aren’t going to stick around when having to pay a sub.

Reactions: Suttner and Kaemik

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I did elaborate in the OP but I'll re-iterate. The plan as I currently understand it is not to have Keeps/Houses a long time after persistent. They are supposed to go in very shortly after persistent. So it's not like I'm suggesting "Hold the game back a year to get houses in on release." Sounds like they'd holding it back 1-4 weeks.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I did elaborate in the OP but I'll re-iterate. The plan as I currently understand it is not to have Keeps/Houses a long time after persistent. They are supposed to go in very shortly after persistent. So it's not like I'm suggesting "Hold the game back a year to get houses in on release." Sounds like they'd holding it back 1-4 weeks.
It is confusing because people are using the terms TC, housing, and or keeps interchangeably. TC is much more than just housing. Sv is saying that they intend on putting houses and keeps in shortly after persistence starts. Not TC, it is much bigger and will take much longer.
The houses and keeps that we will have will likely not be in their complete or final forms, but rather just placeholders, rudimentary and basically functional.

Reactions: Suttner and Xunila

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Houses and keeps are the important part. If you screw up the tower system... well there will be some ramifications but not as big as say, people getting keeps for significantly cheaper due to a bug. Or having the game delete/needing to delete their keep because of a bug.

That's the kind of stuff that will make entire guilds ragequit if they go wrong once we're in persistent.

Reactions: Phillywob

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
Houses and keeps are the important part. If you screw up the tower system... well there will be some ramifications but not as big as say, people getting keeps for significantly cheaper due to a bug. Or having the game delete/needing to delete their keep because of a bug.

Keeps will be at prepared places like ruins and have to be rebuild. The general system is described on the website, see https://www.mortalonline2.com/features/rule-an-entire-nation/

This means keeps will no longer require a deed as in MO1, which has to be placed and then build up with materials. In the new system every player could participate in the building of a keep already at release day, or at the day keeps are coming into the game. The major part will be to execute the last hit while building the keep, because the last guy will become the keep owner.

This new system will be very interesting! It doesn't matter as in MO1 who places the keep deed. It doesn't matter which guild is spending many hour or even days to build up the keep. The only interesting point is to finish the building. Large guilds will have to control the area around the keep all the building time! If they don't control the area for 24/7 (or how long this will take), another guild or even a single player could finish the building and become the keep owner.

Reactions: grendel and Speznat

Konrad

Feb 24, 2021
Ireland
its going to be broken as hell, if we dont test it and see how many things are broken and can be abused early, most of us will find those 'features' and not say a word

MomoWang

May 7, 2021
In MO1 one of the bigger challenges with the introduction of houses were bugs with placement and then exploits with the house chests. It would be good to have it tested before persistent, or at least keep test server going so it can be tested properly before go live.

Its not like anyone is storing mats ready for houses/keeps :unsure:

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
I do not think that SV will release the game any time soon.They missed xmass and june which are the best times for entertainment industry.A lot of players are on vacations and spending time travelling with their family.They need to wait at least till september for the game not look dead on arrival.

Reactions: rek2wilds

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
Yes. Not doing this could lead to massive problems, with many different effects.

If people are concerned about the Beta and resource management - the solution is simple. The Developers could patch in some vendors with free mats like in the pure Combat Beta, and make build deeds free too.

Suttner

Feb 17, 2021
at least housing needs to be thoroughly tested before EA. Keep building if possibble
I understand TC might not make it due to financial issues pressing for a release.

But at least the building/placing aspect should work bug free. It would ruin the game long term/forver (unless full wipe) otherwise

StreamerLord

Dec 2, 2020
No mention of any type of siege system in the road map. What if I can just plop a house down next to a resource that no one can touch. That would not be very Mortal Online like.

Belteyn

Nov 29, 2020
Cambridge, UK
Main concern I have is that if keeps/housing left until after persistence starts there is much less scope to rollback anything that might have given someone an unfair advantage. Examples being dodgy build locations, bugs with materials, issues regarding sieging, faulty permissions resulting in loss of contents etc... If this all tested before persistence any issues less important as everything will be wiped anyway.