Why does veterinary skill suck so much?

alabugin

Apr 10, 2022
I went ahead and invested 60 points into Veterinary (w/ a 40 skill trinket), and veterinary skill works excellent to heal up after fights.

However, it seems if the pet is fighting, the amount healed is reduced by like 90% - this makes it absolutely attrocious to use in any real situation.

Can we remove this stupid healing "debuff" on vet so its actually useful?

Reactions: Deleted member 44

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
This would be a big buff for MAs, and also MC of course. Just not sure anyone wants to buff MAs at this point.

D

Deleted member 44

This would be a big buff for MAs, and also MC of course. Just not sure anyone wants to buff MAs at this point.
Not buff MAs... Oh look another clueless player talking about balance.

Wahhhh, I'm dieing to MAs while I wear rugged garment armor. Wahhhh, I'm too stupid to use any strength requirement long bow. Wahhhh, my magic only does 60~80 to a horse. Wahhhhh

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
I went ahead and invested 60 points into Veterinary (w/ a 40 skill trinket), and veterinary skill works excellent to heal up after fights.

However, it seems if the pet is fighting, the amount healed is reduced by like 90% - this makes it absolutely attrocious to use in any real situation.

It's not intended for you to perpetually bandage at max rate your horse during combat and i'll tell you why this is a good thing.

Just like player bandages when you are getting hit bandages won't heal as much
as if you werent, this is ment to balance conflict.

Now why would you give mounteds, and specially MAs the ability to heal their horses more effectively, with such a low cost of skills and materials compared to mages. When MA's already are so OP in combat.

In MO1 you could feed your pets potions, and at some point i found out that horses wouldn't have thrist and would chug enough potion líquid till it reached max HP instantly, not even hunger would affect the potions. So You could instantly max heal a max lvl top tier horse with a 1potion unit / 1 HP ratio with a red jambura keg of 1000 units that would cost around 5g to make.

I could run behind my friends or a tree or a rock or just stand in the middle of the enemy group and fully heal my horse, automatically giving me the ability to return into battle and outlive other poor bastards.

But the whole mounted scenary was more complex and sometimes dominant, that potion thing got eventually balanced, properly as it should have been.

But to stablish a comparison, bandages are supposed to be a passive pet HP gain for players that don't invest in Magic, not intended to give the mounteds that advantage.

Right now as an MA i can kill someone's mount, leave, heal mine with bandages at 0-20 vet and go back into combat, at a rate yes, but that rate feels somewhat reasonable.

Still i believe You also mean theres not much difference between low lvl vet and max lvl. Idk if that trincket works but what a higher vet skill would do is increase healing speed and slightly amount of HP. And i think its more or less acceptable right now, but it should probably be tweaked in the future.

• Haha
Reactions: Deleted member 44

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
They need to remove the healing debuff from getting hit when bandaging also. Bandaging in this game sucks. Takes way too long, heals shit and is pointless to try if you get hit.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
They need to remove the healing debuff from getting hit when bandaging also. Bandaging in this game sucks. Takes way too long, heals shit and is pointless to try if you get hit.
Nah, mounts are disposable the game right now does not give mounteds the proper balance they require and that wouldn't be bandages or at least not right now with it's current lack of design.
I'm all up for giving mounteds more protagonism but that would require much more than just making pet bandages more effective.

alabugin

Apr 10, 2022
Now why would you give mounteds, and specially MAs the ability to heal their horses more effectively, with such a low cost of skills and materials compared to mages. When MA's already are so OP in combat.

Right now as an MA i can kill someone's mount, leave, heal mine with bandages at 0-20 vet and go back into combat, at a rate yes, but that rate feels somewhat reasonable.

Still i believe You also mean theres not much difference between low lvl vet and max lvl. Idk if that trincket works but what a higher vet skill would do is increase healing speed and slightly amount of HP. And i think its more or less acceptable right now, but it should probably be tweaked in the future.

I don't like the mounted archery argument in this context, considering you cannot bandage your mount when you're riding it.

Magery is objectively required to heal pets during combat, and I think thats very binary. Ultima Online had a great balance of being able to use veterinary while pets were in combat, and this game should be the same. Its already balanced that you have to be right next to your pet to bandage it initially, I would be fine if they made it a requirement to stay a certain distance from the pet until healing was complete if it meant it wasn't fucking useless when fighting.

Reactions: Albanjo Dravae

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
I don't like the mounted archery argument in this context, considering you cannot bandage your mount when you're riding it.

Magery is objectively required to heal pets during combat, and I think thats very binary. Ultima Online had a great balance of being able to use veterinary while pets were in combat, and this game should be the same. Its already balanced that you have to be right next to your pet to bandage it initially, I would be fine if they made it a requirement to stay a certain distance from the pet until healing was complete if it meant it wasn't fucking useless when fighting.

I'm definitely not against other healing and more or less effective methods for combat. But it should be balanced properly and under no circunstance be near magery healing rate with 100 points of veterinary, that would make the game very shitty, it would give pets a higher protagonism which they shouldn't have and it would also lower mages utility.

A few things would have to happen for a pet bandage buff to occur, and i don't see SV pulling that out.

It would be nice pets could use potions, that could be a nice alternative to bandages at an obvious cost.

But i'm against low requirement healing skill such as vet to get buffed for combat. Last thing you want in this game is to give pets in the state they are more protagonism, it would really be a dumb thing to do.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Nah, mounts are disposable the game right now does not give mounteds the proper balance they require and that wouldn't be bandages or at least not right now with it's current lack of design.
I'm all up for giving mounteds more protagonism but that would require much more than just making pet bandages more effective.
I meant they need to remove healing debuff on foot. Bandaging sucks, you can be like running around a tree trying to bandage for ages and they land an arrow and boom your bandage sucks now lol. MO1 had the same debuff effect but you could actually fight right after bandaging so it wasnt as bad.

For vet I think it would be fine to be consistent and remove it also. It still wouldnt really effect mounted as long as they cant bandage the pet while on it.

Reactions: Albanjo Dravae

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I don't mind bandaids on either side. Even at 0+ I like vet. I've never really minded ground bandaids, either, tho it's fun to make the mistake of wrapping at the wrong moment and getting stickied. Ohh you thought you had space noo. Everyone's wep gets like 25% longer when you start wrapping.

I've smushed my horse to almost 0. I spent my whole 'trolling da quad' vid riding in and out, into the forest @ jungle to bandaid my horse to max and come back and snipe at their horses. It works. I really always liked the idea of bandaids as a self heal. One of the best ideas that MO has to offer IMO! But yea maybe it's not balanced on foot, but on mount, eh. Imagine trying to go in and stitch up your bear while it's fighting something.

Honestly, and this is completely off the top, off the wall, etc... I would like to see vet stay like it is and maybe give like a 'tank buff,' like you could stabilize your mount, maybe give it some regen and x amount of health (shadow health) that lasts for like 30-60 seconds to finish out a battle, then let the good heals be after, and your stuff would be like "drop" if you didn't tend to it quickly after the fight.

OR make vet something that works v well with combat pets and not with other stuff and that you have to call your pet to you to heal it. Not too feasible in MO situations, but it'd be something.

Pets shouldn't be disposable. Esp mounts, that's bad game design. Like I said I'm w/ you until I realize it doesn't matter who wins the mounted part and, as I have experienced, depending on how it breaks out, you can feed your team to people by dismounting them and by the time you dismount to join the battle it's already too late.