What is the Downside of Archery/ MA?

Rankor

May 28, 2020
Texas
www.youtube.com
First of all - all MAs have weapons. They might be missing out on a 5% damage bonus or something I suppose. Secondly again that's presuming you kill their horse which means that you'd have to also have a bow or magic
I agree.....I play a full MA/Bowcrafter. But where melee is my secondary and less trained skill (I'm not taking a horse down with my axe), a full melee that has a secondary of bow use, can.

What I'm saying is that 1v1, when both parties are starting on a horse, if the full MA is taken to the ground then-most of the time-the dance is over for them. But that's the beauty of the system. I do not expect to be an expert Melee when I've specialized on MA, so I handle my business the best I can in those circumstances.

I'm just giving the OP my view of the downsides.

Xronim

Aug 13, 2020
Bows are extremely strong, unless you have a really well made shield, its basically unblockable and you can shoot around the shield to still hit them.
It is a risky play, but if you have someone who's 1 shot during a melee fight, you can try to quickly pull out a bow and just shoot them to get the mercy.

The only real downside is that high end merc plate can stop even 122 str longbow damage quite a bit.

koruun

Feb 8, 2022
Bows are extremely strong, unless you have a really well made shield, its basically unblockable and you can shoot around the shield to still hit them.
Yeah right if you are shooting on some dumbass who runs in a straight line to you.
A few side steps by the foot fighter, direction changes, and you aint hitting shit.

Chaines

Jan 26, 2022
Horse should take less damage from arrows, it should be easier to kill someone than to kill his horse if it wear a heavy armor, and it should be easier to steal someone horse (kill him and tame his horse right away)

Reactions: Lareon the Blue

KnightNi

Nov 29, 2020
Horse should take less damage from arrows, it should be easier to kill someone than to kill his horse if it wear a heavy armor, and it should be easier to steal someone horse (kill him and tame his horse right away)
I wish they would do that, make it similar to every other medieval game that has horses. People always kill the person first and not the horse cause he’s beefy, I also don’t see why we can’t tame someone’s horse after they die so we can not only get the horse as a prize but get the horse bag loot without killing the horse

Reactions: TheOnlyRook

Khulan

Feb 26, 2022
A high level horse in good armour is already on the threshold of making MA insufferable. Fragile horses are a good thing.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
I just can't believe there is no adult in the dev team telling them they need to nerf MA damage by 80% until they figure out a way to balance it. How can you let this broke ass shit go for so long.
I hate to break the bad news to you, but this game doesnt get balanced. MO1 mounted was broken for at least the last 10 years of the games life, which is when I started. It got a few nerfs here and there but plenty of assorted mechanic changes that hard buffed mounted weaponry. Mounted being broken is here to stay, and will be one of the many reasons this game doesnt succeed. We could get lucky and they will decide to not pretend its MO1, but my hopes arent overly high.

• Wow
Reactions: CrgHck

Stundorn

Jul 18, 2021
funny how the thread has evolved and how almost everyone argues about MA, when i talked about Archery in general :D

conclusion, everyone needs Archery, no matter if it's MA or on foot, Archery in general is a meta and a must have.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
If I take you off of that horse, you're practically dead and useless.

Take me off my mount and I will switch from a short bow to a longbow and double my damage per shot. Get close and my 30% damage bonus and that axe to chop you down like a pile of firewood. I have foot skills maxed, and my MA maxed. It isnt that hard to max those two skill groups.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
what is the downisde of it?
Imho everything from PvE to PVP is more easy if you are an Archer, no?

where are the Mobs that cant be kitet or shot before they reach you?
Minos beeing suggested to get tanked as an Acher in heavy Armor and shot without the need to block?
what PvP situations dont start ranged and what are the situations you benefit from beeing a footfighter or mage?

is Archery op?
or is Archery the easy mode and everything else is harder and mage is the hardest?
why dont they get massive penalty from shooting in plate heavy armor like a mage is penalized and nerfed drastically?
why you can pull a bow on a horse in plate armor?
why you can pull a bow in heavy armor without any stam penalty or massive drain?

can some people exaplain?!

thanks in advance

So to answer the question is Archery OP? No, done that easy.

To get into the reason why archery isnt OP is quite simple. Archery has a lot of variables that effect it. Archery can be stopped by leaves on trees, easily avoided just by side stepping or hopping around. It can be absolutely powerful in groups, but so can magic or foot fighters. It is VERY rare I see an experienced PVPer die to foot archery or mounted archery alone. As for PVE farming, yes its powerful, but so is mounted magic, and mounted combat (melee). If you know what you're doing anything on a mount is superior to being on foot. This is part of the biggest gripes about being a tamer/dominator, is the fact your pets often get left behind if you have a mount thus making you a foot only class.

I agree that there needs to be some adjustments made to archery, mounted archery and even mounted in general. Currently there are issues with all forms of mounted combat in one way shape or form. From the absolute trash fire of being a mounted mage with your double casting time for the same damage on foot, to the amazingly slow swing for a mounted combat character. I wont go into the nearly useless verity of mounts, yes we have five different horse breeds, but only 2 are really viable...again.

Archery still has some adjustments coming, like the bow aim wobble that is missing from Mortal Online 1, yes its coming. When that arrives people will start seeing less sniper mounteds and more spray and prey mounteds or shoot and scoot.

Reactions: Midkemma

Stundorn

Jul 18, 2021

To get into the reason why archery isnt OP is quite simple. Archery has a lot of variables that effect it. Archery can be stopped by leaves on trees, easily avoided just by side stepping or hopping around. It can be absolutely powerful in groups, but so can magic or foot fighters. It is VERY rare I see an experienced PVPer die to foot archery or mounted archery alone. As for PVE farming, yes its powerful, but so is mounted magic, and mounted combat (melee). If you know what you're doing anything on a mount is superior to being on foot. This is part of the biggest gripes about being a tamer/dominator, is the fact your pets often get left behind if you have a mount thus making you a foot only class.

I agree that there needs to be some adjustments made to archery, mounted archery and even mounted in general. Currently there are issues with all forms of mounted combat in one way shape or form. From the absolute trash fire of being a mounted mage with your double casting time for the same damage on foot, to the amazingly slow swing for a mounted combat character. I wont go into the nearly useless verity of mounts, yes we have five different horse breeds, but only 2 are really viable...again.

Archery still has some adjustments coming, like the bow aim wobble that is missing from Mortal Online 1, yes its coming. When that arrives people will start seeing less sniper mounteds and more spray and prey mounteds or shoot and scoot.

you would say one can refuse to choose archery in general?

you would say the variables that effect it dont exist in same or different forms for magery and foot fighting?
you say easily avoided, so why you described that situation you used it as a viable PvP option?!?
this confuses me.
i agree with mounted is allways in favor as long as you can keep your horse alive, but again a MM versus a MA can maybe heal out the damage for some time, but not for eternity and the MA hast an advantage of range, lot more range and also no stam problems using a shortbow like the mage has with mana.

imho archery is a must have or you gimp yourself.

KnightNi

Nov 29, 2020

Without some speed reduction on the horse when you draw back the bow the wobble won’t matter, once the archer gets behind you they will stick to your butt on your horse and since they can turn while aiming you can’t mm or mc them down. If they had speed reduction when drawing the bow back and a slight turn speed reduction while pulling the bow back it would be a strong relief on mounted griefing cause now the other person can activiely attack the mounted archer when he pulls the bow back, MC can mellow them when they pull bow back and try to get in range since they slow down

Rankor

May 28, 2020
Texas
www.youtube.com
Without some speed reduction on the horse when you draw back the bow the wobble won’t matter, once the archer gets behind you they will stick to your butt on your horse and since they can turn while aiming you can’t mm or mc them down. If they had speed reduction when drawing the bow back and a slight turn speed reduction while pulling the bow back it would be a strong relief on mounted griefing cause now the other person can activiely attack the mounted archer when he pulls the bow back, MC can mellow them when they pull bow back and try to get in range since they slow down
When being chased, just turn right. MA's cannot shoot over their right shoulder....

Reactions: Hodo

Midkemma

Feb 27, 2022
I feel that Archery is more important in MO2 than MO1 due to the size of the map and as such the need for mounts.
More need for mounts then more need for mount counter measures.

I wasn't going to do archery this time but yeah... after going from Fab to Tind I pick up a bow and not looked back. I felt forced to by the game. I wasn't forced to but that is how I felt if I wanted to defend myself.

Rankor

May 28, 2020
Texas
www.youtube.com
I feel that Archery is more important in MO2 than MO1 due to the size of the map and as such the need for mounts.

I wasn't going to do archery this time but yeah... after going from Fab to Tind I pick up a bow and not looked back. I felt forced to by the game. I wasn't forced to but that is how I felt if I wanted to defend myself.
Especially since it seems mounted combat -lances and spear in particular- is broken.

Reactions: Midkemma and Hodo

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022

My character build in MO2 is almost identical to my build in MO1 at this point. And archery was the primary hunting method in MO1. If you needed to farm you didnt go out with a dagger or fist fighter to take on the Retzar Queen or the Greater Kimaru, you brought bows... and in some cases ballistas.

And the scale of the world isnt as big as people make it seem. I ran from Meduli to Tin, 4 times in the past 2 days. Twice on foot and twice on mount. It took about a third the time on mount but it also attracted far more attention then when I went on foot. I am also fairly slow on foot, I am talking a jogging speed of 310. You dont need archery or a mount, hell you can run everywhere, I did it on my first character because mounts and pets didnt work well. You can use magic as your ranged weapon if you want. Archery like mounts is nice to have but not a must.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022

As Rankor pointed out, just turn right. The bow wobble if it follows MO1 the faster you go the worse it is. So you will find some mounts are just better for you to aim from while others are completely useless at some speeds due to their gate.

Reactions: Rankor

Midkemma

Feb 27, 2022
My character build in MO2 is almost identical to my build in MO1 at this point. And archery was the primary hunting method in MO1. If you needed to farm you didnt go out with a dagger or fist fighter to take on the Retzar Queen or the Greater Kimaru, you brought bows... and in some cases ballistas.

And the scale of the world isnt as big as people make it seem. I ran from Meduli to Tin, 4 times in the past 2 days. Twice on foot and twice on mount. It took about a third the time on mount but it also attracted far more attention then when I went on foot. I am also fairly slow on foot, I am talking a jogging speed of 310. You dont need archery or a mount, hell you can run everywhere, I did it on my first character because mounts and pets didnt work well. You can use magic as your ranged weapon if you want. Archery like mounts is nice to have but not a must.

How big did I make it seem?
I know you can run anywhere and not a stranger to ghosting if I got nothing I need to take...
The extra size (along with alt servers) does reduce the density of players and reduces the probability off wilderness encounters.

In MO1, extra encounters could be made potentially easier with mounts as the mobility allowed to them to check more areas.

Increase the size and split with alts and you exaggerate that benefit. It's actually kinda funny seeing guilds log onto alts all together near a towns exit and ride off. I wouldn't be surprised if some people think it safer to jump to less pop servers to reduce risk of losses...

With that said, I will update what I said from the size of the map to the size of the map combined with it not being a single server.
^.^

I recognise some are happy to not use a mount while roaming. I think that many would prefer to be able to find PvP than spend that time roaming and the only PvP they had chance with ran off after their mounts took a few shots.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
How big did I make it seem?
I know you can run anywhere and not a stranger to ghosting if I got nothing I need to take...
The extra size (along with alt servers) does reduce the density of players and reduces the probability off wilderness encounters.

In MO1, extra encounters could be made potentially easier with mounts as the mobility allowed to them to check more areas.

Increase the size and split with alts and you exaggerate that benefit. It's actually kinda funny seeing guilds log onto alts all together near a towns exit and ride off. I wouldn't be surprised if some people think it safer to jump to less pop servers to reduce risk of losses...

With that said, I will update what I said from the size of the map to the size of the map combined with it not being a single server.
^.^

I recognise some are happy to not use a mount while roaming. I think that many would prefer to be able to find PvP than spend that time roaming and the only PvP they had chance with ran off after their mounts took a few shots.

Mortal Online 1 Myrland was 8x8 or 64sqkm. Mortal Online 2 Myrland is supposedly 400sqkm. So some 6 times larger.

When you factor in the current population is pretty close to what it stabilized at prior to Sarduca and before subs started. Yes the player density is going to be lower. Hell 2000 people in a 400sq.km area comes out to 5 people per sq.km? That is about the same population density as Canada.

KnightNi

Nov 29, 2020
As Rankor pointed out, just turn right. The bow wobble if it follows MO1 the faster you go the worse it is. So you will find some mounts are just better for you to aim from while others are completely useless at some speeds due to their gate.
but all the archer has to do is turn right? or god forbid, archer stays on your right side and just follows your turns, its not like mage where he cant turn while aiming and hes at the same speed as while attacking so you cant escape and you cant follow unless you are range. archer needs a speed slow the moment they pull the bow back