Weapon Skills - All in one?

Would you like to combine weapon skills into one parent primary?

• Total voters

Branjolf

May 22, 2021
Mortal Online 2 will only support one character slot instead of the 4 we used to have in Mortal Online 1. As a result i think some skills that require primary points should be changed into secondary skills for the purposes of convenience.

Currently each type of weapon requires 100 primary points and as result of that people will usually only chose one type of weapon, limiting them to that choice. The thing is that you can only use one weapon at a time anyway. What if all the individual weapon skills would be changed into secondaries with a primary parent skill? It shouldnt affect balance as far as i can see and would improve diversity as well as convenience.

As a side effect it would be very good to change up the clade gifts that boost specific weapon skills. Some races even have 2 different weapon clades that you cant avoid if you would like to get their sub clades. The system makes you chose useless clade gifts instead of giving you desireable options.

Important note: Im purely talking about the combat aspect here, not crafting.

Last edited:

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I'm pretty sure the whole point is to force you to work together with others - it gives intensive to join a guild and specialize.
It does nothing of the kind. It only makes it to where everyone uses only 1 or 2 types of weapons even if there are others that would be better in some circumstances.

Reactions: Draug

StreamerLord

Dec 2, 2020
70 skill will give you max weapon and armor stats after the next patch. 100 will be to have special visual effects.

shill

Mar 24, 2021
So all magic types in one primary ?
Makes no sense to make above just for melee classes and treat magic users the same way as it is now.
No for both personally for myself - it is also not true you can have only one weapon trained (you can have more with some compromises for other primaries in action skills - if i will decide to go to 2 magic type i will do by removing something else, and/or lowering down first magic type.

Archiel

Apr 5, 2021
I see this bring an issue when MC players are able to use the best weapon on a mount, the best weapon on foot and a bow.
It might sound like it will bring diversity but wouldn't it just mean all fighters are pretty much the same?

Branjolf

May 22, 2021
Sounds like a good idea to me. It might bring some MO1 vets onboard who currently refuse to play MO2 due to the limited build nature of the one character slot.

Where do you read anything about magic?

Magic behaves differently in a way that you can charge an ecu spell followed by a necro spell for example without an issue. You are not gonna switch weapons when you are hitting someone. Also each magic school supplies you with a lot of spells, while with melee you basically always get the same attack directions.

At that point i might add that i play mage as well as fighter.

I see this bring an issue when MC players are able to use the best weapon on a mount, the best weapon on foot and a bow.
It might sound like it will bring diversity but wouldn't it just mean all fighters are pretty much the same?

People are more flexible it their usage and dont have to spend hours of training up a new weapon skill each time. Sure it is fast now but wait till the 100x skill gain is gone.
Imagine having a switching group depending on who is online, if you are flexible you can change your party composition relating the weapon skill, but if you are locked into you weapon skill you might end up with a group that uses the same weapon.

Im not sure i quite get your point with the MC?

Sounds like a good idea to me. It might bring some MO1 vets onboard who currently refuse to play MO2 due to the limited build nature of the one character slot.

Exactly, in MO1 you could have your dedicated character for each playstyle with 4 slots per account. But still people had several accounts just to have different playstyles. MO2 needs to find a way to be more appealing with a good balance regarding specialization. My suggestion doesnt impact balance and makes the game more enjoyable.

Kokolo

May 3, 2021
I agree but not fully. I would like to spend more points on lore or extraction but having just one primary for crafting professions would make everyone be able to craft everything with little penalty. There is value in specializations for the people who go all the way and a drawback which makes them collaborate with other players. Maybe having 2 primaries like blade/weapon head crafting and handle/shaft crafting for example would be enough to add some more skills elsewhere and keep players having to cooperate with each other.

I don't think we need that many more free points than the current system to have satisfying builds.

Branjolf

May 22, 2021
Okay i think you missunderstood me, im purely talking about fighting here, not crafting.

D

Dracu

Jesus christ boyz this is about the combat tree... not the profession tree. This is using a weapon not making a weapon. How can this even be confused? xD

Atm you are kinda limited to 1 weapon and can not really adap or vary. If you loot a weapon you cant use it goes to the trash bin. Whats the point of that? Its limiting for no good reason. Atm the grind is not there cause x100 but srsly after that gets away. Switching a weapon takes hours of afk macro time. Thats not really productive and doesnt really offer much choice. Go meta or go home

Reactions: Kokolo

Kokolo

May 3, 2021
Jesus christ boyz this is about the combat tree... not the profession tree. This is using a weapon not making a weapon. How can this even be confused? xD

Damn, what a miss on my part. XD

Oh yeah, combat would definitely be better with only one or 2 primaries.

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
WHy not split it into 3? Pole Weapons, Blades and Blunt.

Assuming this idea were to move forward, you would have spears + poleaxe/sword under poles, swords + daggers under blade, and brawling + clubs would be under blunt. Axes would be a child of blade+blunt. I dont know.

I feel like yes there should be more leniance than there is, but having all weapons types on all fighters is... too much imo.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I'm not saying against you, you obviously put a lot of time to think over this. Care to elaborate?
Other people have said what I was trying to say since I posted. Basically there are one or two weapons that outshine the others overall, even though others may be better in limited circumstances. Right now during testing people are trying everything out so it seems that many weapon types are being used, however when fights become more important and costly, and when it takes 100x more time to change weapons skills we will end up with a bland meta with everyone using the same weapons in order to be competitive. The strong necessity to have archery for the new pve will further homogenize weapon type by soaking up points that might have been used for an extra melee weapon.
Someone mentioned that it would be negative for an MC to be able to use both the best mounted and the best foot weapon, however I disagree. As long as SV keeps horses/mounts from being OP, and because we are stuck with one character we will need to be able to fight on the ground as well as mounted.
SV has done away with so-called wheelchair characters this time around.

Reactions: Branjolf

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
WHy not split it into 3? Pole Weapons, Blades and Blunt.

Assuming this idea were to move forward, you would have spears + poleaxe/sword under poles, swords + daggers under blade, and brawling + clubs would be under blunt. Axes would be a child of blade+blunt. I dont know.

I feel like yes there should be more leniance than there is, but having all weapons types on all fighters is... too much imo.
Please explain why it is too much?