We knew it from the beginning

Was the launch failure avoidable?

• Total voters

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021

I was waiting to make this thread until the game hit 52% on Steam, which is the same rating the original game had. But at this rate MO2 is looking to surpass them.

Star Vault. You have learned nothing. Your idea is outdated and you should of stopped trying to be unique by forcing everyone into one fucking server. This was possibly the biggest oversight I have ever seen in a launch of a video game.

Stop using this "we are a small indie company" bullshit of an excuse line. People have told you time, and time, and time, AND TIME again to make an additional server or two but ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL people did including you guys was go "NAH WONT HAPPEN".

Now you guys can't even give straight answers on very simple things.

Go ahead. Start flooding in shills and tell me I'm wrong because its X, Y, and Z and I should learn to be grateful that they put a game out.

1. They didn't have a working queue system.
  2. They didn't put in better strictness to Haven, even THOUGH people already knew it could be abused and reported it.
  3. You force us as players to deal with having skewing pings, globally, for a one world experience only to have the server be unable to handle the amount of players present.
  4. You delete, censor, and silence any kind of criticism or opposition that doesn't praise you guys for failing.

I don't even need to go on LOL. I could, oh I certainly could. But this is just a fucking joke at this point.

See ya' guys in Mortal Online 3.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Ever MMO and almost every new game that fills a niche or ich gets over 10k players concurrent.

The main fault was thinking that 1k per node was going to hold when they made the game a rat race to leave haven as fast as possible. People flooded out of haven where most of their 100k capacity was at.

Regional servers would of course cut in almost half the load on the server which would have saved the game launch probably. Otherwise they would have to do something about how 1k players could crowd together in small areas.

Reactions: Favonius Cornelius

Piet

May 28, 2020
You're assuming it was a failure. Does the login issue suck sure but otherwise they have a ton of people and everyone is enjoying the game other than the login issue.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
You're assuming it was a failure. Does the login issue suck sure but otherwise they have a ton of people and everyone is enjoying the game other than the login issue.
It is a failure. how is it not. Farmerjoe thinks its a failure upon their part.

I dont think you have been around lately to know about all the things that have happened. The issue is not logging in, if they turn of the queue people would be able to get in. The issue is that tindrem mainly and fab/meduli secondary reached max population on the node which lagged out the server and caused players to crash out of the game. We could immediately log back in before they turned of the queue. Now there is a endless lottery named as a queue to let a couple of people in randomly. About only 2k-3k people are in game right now instead of the 7-8k max pop. We got like 5k-6k stuck in queue.

They were expecting at least up to 100k players to stay in haven while each node of myrland has only 1k capacity for a around 8k world capacity for the myrland.

Reactions: night_vision_elf

[CTX] Contractor

Dec 31, 2021
Mostly negative on steam is a massive failure. Game is unlikely to recover and new players will avoid it like the plague.

Yeah I think people really underestimate reviews on Steam. Even some people in my guild thought I was crazy for saying it'll impact the game long-term. Like I hate to break it to you, whether the concerns are valid or not; people will avoid a game simply based off the reviews alone. Call them stupid if you like but that's another player lost due to problems.

pooternackle

Mar 21, 2021
Yeah I think people really underestimate reviews on Steam. Even some people in my guild thought I was crazy for saying it'll impact the game long-term. Like I hate to break it to you, whether the concerns are valid or not; people will avoid a game simply based off the reviews alone. Call them stupid if you like but that's another player lost due to problems.

It's a huge shame too, since day 1 and 2 it was holding mostly steady at mostly positive despite the lag and disconnects. The actual content of the game was keeping people satisfied despite the poor connectivity. Just a massive missed opportunity.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021

looollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Scan that barcode!

If it's as I thought and they put too many resources into haven, that's GOOD because they can take them out (hopefully?!?!?) and put them back into Myrland. Haven should be removed from the game if it's detrimental to server stability.

The part that scares me, and as I said, I got in basically at launch, got into haven, hit some zombies to get 2.5 for taming and went into the world. It just started to gradually lag, got kicked a few times, started to lag more like... really, really bad. Couldn't even interface with my bank. I logged on and off a bunch of times. I had from noonish--> whenever that night to play. When I finally logged back in and the lag was STILL impossibly wack, I thought about going outward to other places to see if I could escape the lag of that node, but what I did was I thought, "Ain't nobody got time for this shit, I'll get on later." Never got back into Myrland again.

Dudes have guides on how to beat the queue talking about set your alarm for 2-3 am ahaha. I mean, I wake up early anyway, so that's no issue for me. I could probably brute force my way into the game if I really -really- wanted to, (of course I thought I could get a ps5 at launch and half-seriously tried, too), but what kind of game am I gonna be logging into? Is it gonna be laggy as hell still? That's my worry, like... what if the game never becomes NOT LAGGY. People will eventually quit, sure, but there are enough tryhards and prol EU people get less lag anyway that I dunno if it's ever gonna go under 2k~ people consistently.

I was serious when I said e-mail me when the server is working, and what I mean is when it runs like it did in beta. But you know what? I'm beginning to doubt that will happen, and if it does not, I think we deserve some of our money (like the free sub part) back. The time between when you can queue up and EVENTUALLY log into the game is probably a lot more near than the time when the game is running in a way that is playable.

I don't think negative reviews matter THAT MUCH, but there are a finite amount of people who want to play a game like this, and they see it, they watch it, they are ready to try it, and if the first month is just a total shit show, you lost 75% of your potential customers. There aren't people waking up in cryogenic tubes like "I wonder what the sandbox MMO scene looks like?!" They know what's out there. Doesn't mean that some won't come back if nothing else can scratch their itch, per se, but people hold grudges and nobody likes to be pulled into a situation like this which, I really didn't see coming. I thought it would be bad, but when I played day 1 I was like... omg they actually got it working. I guess it took people longer and longer to get out of haven, then it just ground to a halt.

The fact that tutorial island is working without a hitch is epic luls. I don't know if it was a hardware or logistics failure. I'm hoping it was the latter because the former is basically a death sentence until enough people quit. There might be places you can go where it DOESN'T LAG, but if lag is going to happen (serious lag) on and off, that basically makes the game unplayable IMO.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
Steam reviews are in a constant state of flux, when the server queue issues get resolved the ratings will slowly climb back up.

From my personal experience, whenever a game has a problem of some kind the Steam reviews will organically go downwards for a time. We've seen this with MO1 over the years, as with other games that have been doing well but all of a sudden the devs decide to take a different course.

Of course, there are those who will skip over a game based on the Steam review icon shown on the listing. That is just part and parcel of life on the largely unregulated world that is Steam reviews. People are free to vote down a game for any reason, and there's nothing to stop them from doing so.

I am a great supporter of MO2 and SV, but even I do not enjoy the current state of the game as it is right now any more than all of you who cannot log in due to the server queues.

However, as I see it, the mixed (and likely soon to be negative if SV takes too long) Steam reviews will slowly return to the blue once they resolve all the login issues and everyone is able to play again.

Calcal

Dec 11, 2021

I was waiting to make this thread until the game hit 52% on Steam, which is the same rating the original game had. But at this rate MO2 is looking to surpass them.

Star Vault. You have learned nothing. Your idea is outdated and you should of stopped trying to be unique by forcing everyone into one fucking server. This was possibly the biggest oversight I have ever seen in a launch of a video game.

Stop using this "we are a small indie company" bullshit of an excuse line. People have told you time, and time, and time, AND TIME again to make an additional server or two but ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL people did including you guys was go "NAH WONT HAPPEN".

Now you guys can't even give straight answers on very simple things.

Go ahead. Start flooding in shills and tell me I'm wrong because its X, Y, and Z and I should learn to be grateful that they put a game out.

1. They didn't have a working queue system.
  2. They didn't put in better strictness to Haven, even THOUGH people already knew it could be abused and reported it.
  3. You force us as players to deal with having skewing pings, globally, for a one world experience only to have the server be unable to handle the amount of players present.
  4. You delete, censor, and silence any kind of criticism or opposition that doesn't praise you guys for failing.

I don't even need to go on LOL. I could, oh I certainly could. But this is just a fucking joke at this point.

See ya' guys in Mortal Online 3.
I liked the idea of making Sarduca a NA continent and letting people go back and forth. Who knows. I think single shard worlds are more interesting and alive. It's a tough call for the devs. I think it'll pan out, they'll solve the login issues and the servers will be stable. New world had a rough start too, that was a proper shitshow, and they had one of the world's largest companies to back them up.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I liked the idea of making Sarduca a NA continent and letting people go back and forth. Who knows. I think single shard worlds are more interesting and alive. It's a tough call for the devs. I think it'll pan out, they'll solve the login issues and the servers will be stable. New world had a rough start too, that was a proper shitshow, and they had one of the world's largest companies to back them up.
Not just that, amazon is literally a server hosting company first and foremost and the only issue they really had was server related. The irony.
I got paid on three different occasions to Alpha test that shitstorm and each time I gave feedback regarding the poor server and queue performance. Pretty obvious they didn't care, not sure why they are paying alpha testers $15 an hour if they are just going to ignore the feedback given.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Cyrotek

Feb 1, 2022
I suppose it is mainly a concept issue. If you have a oversized world that is supposed to hold a ridiculous amount of players it might not be a good idea to cut those players in half. Count the sinking player counts with time and you will end up with two servers with giant worlds but barely anyone in it in the end.

The way their servers seem to work makes it probably also not exactly easy to just create another one.

My point being, I doubt it is fixable without great backend and content changes.

They going to add more content to haven while we are having the log in issue to main land... Let that sink in.

While I think the idea is weird it is also not that far fetched. The people being able to just put some additional stuff into Haven are not the same ones that are capable of fixing "queue" and server load issues.

Tzone

May 16, 2021

Freehorses on how bad the launch will be.

"Worse the BF4 Launch because at least you could play BF4 at launch" He nailed it.

Just let us in and give us back the lag. I rather have lag then queue. I guess Henrik rather have videos of queue instead of people having videos of lag. Dude is so superficial.

Amelia

Jun 6, 2020
It was the 25 I was angry because i coudnt play, some days as gone and now I m feeling better, I do some irl work, some gardening, ecc . Just wait , in relax, the next patch. Do the same guys, some distractions and you'll back to the game at full charged ! 😁

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I think the problem was that their solution to their problem of handling a high number of players was creating instanced PvE servers.

Instead of facing the real problem that the Myrland server cannot handle a high population well they created a work around that goes against the original design of Mortal online. I´m sure that it was easier to do it this way but now we see the obvious problems that arise from this.

The solution is to soft force players into playing Haven instead of the real game and "adding content" to it. Which neatly is exactly what I predicted happening in the first place.

It all goes back to SVs inability to make the game they want to make. Henrik should have tried to get competent people from the start instead of sticking with a team that oversaw the slow death of the first game.

Would a NA server have solved their problem? Maybe. Then I think they should have started with 2 continents that are each smaller. I´m sure there enough assets on the UE4 store to fill up Sarducca.

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
Why would you ever tell these game devs not to try and build their vision or be unique? These are the attributes of what makes MO have the great potential that it does....it isn't like anything else out there and that's why people are so hungry for it. These are some of the only devs willing to take the risk of making a game like Mortal.

Granted they haven't been able to deliver on it 100% as of yet, but if you want to play a watered down generic version of it, those games already exist....go play those and stop wasting your time on something that isn't to your interests anyways.

Reactions: bbihah

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Why would you ever tell these game devs not to try and build their vision or be unique? These are the attributes of what makes MO have the great potential that it does....it isn't like anything else out there and that's why people are so hungry for it. These are some of the only devs willing to take the risk of making a game like Mortal.

Granted they haven't been able to deliver on it 100% as of yet, but if you want to play a watered down generic version of it, those games already exist....go play those and stop wasting your time on something that isn't to your interests anyways.
Make a list for use then of games that are first person open world pvp full loot games similar to UO or the older style mmos?

Vast majority of player are hear despite the 1 world server and trash ping normalization efforts. People play MO2 because there are no other options for a MMO.

Elijah

Jun 17, 2021

Holy shit. A reasonable person on this thread. That's amazing. I was losing faith in humanity reading through these bots.