Updated Intelligence "Curve"

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Dude this argument is so pointless at the current state of the game that I really really hope SV dev team doesnt spend a minute more trying to please a minority of sweater MO1 vets tryhards.

I've made clear multiple times I am not an MO1 vet. I barely played the game. My entire comparison is last patch to this patch. Continually acting like I am a salty MO1 vet after I have clarified that at least three times is kind of reflecting how absolutely clueless you are.

There is no reason to assume any of the changes coming down the line have a massive buff in store for hybrids. Hybrids as they existed before were already skillpoint starved. Domination will not buff hybrids. Nearly all the skills a hybrid should run are in-game and working. In-fact the biggest change we know is coming down the line is archery and melee made viable in water. A massive nerf for hybrids as one of their strongest contexts right now is being able to push fights into water where full fighters can't fight back.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
So to change the subject....

Now that hybrids are nerfed and a lot of people, including myself won't be playing one unless things change, what is the actual point of lighter armor? The stamina penalty and added fall damage is such a minor con for the amount of defense you gain with heavy plate armors. Thats why every warrior wears full steel or better if they have the materials.

I want to see a use for light-medium armors other than mana regen. It would open a whole new variety of builds if for example you started getting small movement speed penalties the heavier your armor got.

Idk man things are getting more and more stale. Its like heavy plate or mage armor and nothing in-between except for the very few people still doing the hybrid thing taking arrows hits for 40s.

Reactions: Vergil

cerqo

Mar 17, 2021
I dont know why you would do the damage testing against people with 50 psy, it just clouds the results.

Also all the idiot kids crying about how a mage can never hit close to 100. Considering your tests had a 65 max fulm on someone with 50 psy. I can easily see flamestrike being close to 100. I got hit for around 80 by a mounted fatmage with a flamestrike yesterday and i have psy.

Fatmages just in general need to get hit with a nerfbat and get beaten into the ground. Everything that was wrong with mages in MO1 kind of reaches the top when it comes to fatmage, 0 investment of any form and able to do 80 damage?

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
It really is batshit that fat mages can hit that hard. Nobody should be doing that much damage in a "skill based" full loot mmo. I've been saying that for years. Its unblockable, non-mitigated, ranged damage.

I can already see how Mounted Combat is going to be...

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I dont know why you would do the damage testing against people with 50 psy, it just clouds the results.

Also all the idiot kids crying about how a mage can never hit close to 100. Considering your tests had a 65 max fulm on someone with 50 psy. I can easily see flamestrike being close to 100. I got hit for around 80 by a mounted fatmage with a flamestrike yesterday and i have psy.

Fatmages just in general need to get hit with a nerfbat and get beaten into the ground. Everything that was wrong with mages in MO1 kind of reaches the top when it comes to fatmage, 0 investment of any form and able to do 80 damage?

Because the target was myself, and min psyche on an obese build is 45. The build had to go obese for the final tests as you cannot reach max INT without doing so. I did 50 because it's a nice number. It doesn't cloud the results at all. The intent of this test was to show the curve not what absolute maximum spell damage is. If people wish to misuse the data I provide that is on them.

Grack

Aug 28, 2020
@Grack

I got your post in my email but I don't see it here. Did you delete it or something? It was a very long post so I will summarize my response by simply addressing our conclusion and the overall theme of your post rather than every single point made.

"You can not be best at everything at all times. I am happy to discuss numbers and theory if you like because honestly when you sit back and look at it from every type of play style and the give and take of each race and clade it is actually quite balanced and very impressive compared to mo1"

The hybrids we had last week were by no means the best at everything. They were weaker than full-fighter in melee and weaker than mages at magic. That's why last week you saw a lot of full-fighters, full-mages, and hybrids all running around being played. And half the hybrids are because the two alliances in the most major server war keep fighting in water where only magic works (almost certainly not how it's intended to be longterm) and it was causing a temporary spike in mages as hybrids. If you wanted to be melee only hybrids could confirm kills when the enemy runs to water which is how MOST fights end in GK. A very temporary problem that requires no solution beyond making melee and archery work in water.

So we had three balanced playstles. Look at the chart I started this topic with. Does that buff fat mages? Barely. Does it buff dex mages? A little. Does it nerf hybrids? Ooooooh yeah. Big time. So when you take three fairly balanced playstyles, all fairly useful, all fairly balanced, and then you take a massive steaming dump on one of them, that's how you kill a build.

The only thing we needed (and still kind of do) was a buff to dex mages. Particularly in the 100 INT range. The only thing we got was a nerf to hybrids.
I deleted it because I got my math wrong. I went back and looked at the numbers and recordings of distance with Thursars and Veela, and saw that Thursars are by far the best runners which changed my perspective.

for me the balance with this has a lot to do with how they balancee Thursars and if they will remain the way they are. Stam useage difference when running is (stam usage per second)

Thur = 4.8 weapon in and 6.35 weapon out
Veela = 5.66 weapon in 7.46 weapon out

Veela have around 2 stam more per second regen and 1.5ish seconds when using active clade. its 351 stam compared to 381 however. When you factor it all in with good running strategy Thursar still comout slightly on top by a few meters and that changed my idea of how much the Alv have to sacrifice and how pure mage kinda feels a better option in many ways.

At the end of the day I really don't know if I personally feel that is a good balance or not. I feel like if Thursars have a stam useage reduction of say 7 with weapon out for example not 6.35 that would help. It also depends on how much damange a Og spear, or crone sword/axe do. I could see a world in where pure veela hybrids are quite decent in certain areas, but their niche is a fine one. If Thursars lose their stam reduction for all stam usage and only have it apply to weapon swings like I suspect it is meant to be then things change quite a bit. They would lose their effective 90 stam advatage over humans, 45 effective stam over alvs and its probably like 60ish effective more stam then Oghs (haven't tested them). I use to think Thursars should have this to make them worth playing as they lose out alot in non-combat stuff but I'm not sure anymore because I feel that is what is undermining Veela hybrids more.

Idk I see the stam and speed as a bigger balance issue over Veela then the magic change but I don't feel super strongly that the magic change is for the better and I wouldn't cry if Veela hybrids went back to what they were :p

Post post edit:
Obviously there is no concrete feedback from SV as to what their intented goal was. It´s also why it is incredibly hard to give feedback, because SV just does weird changes that no one who is immersed in the games meta fully understands.
Very much this ^ SV have got better, but I really wish they would provide statements as to WHY they changed what they changed and what they would like to achieve behind it. This helps us help them as well because we have a lot of experience between us all, obviously we're all a bit bias but it would be much better then the current in the dark on what situation we have. They're going to really need to think about how they explain these things to new players because it is going to be a massive point offrustration for people who have to reroll. Player made guides will help, but this time around when the game lunches they will need a very comprehensive explanation between skills and attributes effects, and how that will practically look in game.

Post post edit 2: Actually another point, this kinda brings humans into the middle ground yet again, because 3 part Tin/Sud with Khur/Kal or 2 part Tin/Sud 2 part Khur/Kal with slight str changes to the ladder combos give a 50/50 int psy, still solid fighting stats and good clade bonus to well round fighters who are literally solid in the middle, not great at anything but not weak to anything, they would reduce the effectiveness of Bulge/Dex Sheevra, and if you wanted to you train just enough for utility magic. I don't hate this as it kinda makes combat super interesting with groups needing to either triple down and have like pure races in a group or races that compliment each other, or heavy diversity.

If you play around with that thorey in your head you can kinda see a lot of rock/paper/sissors happening between races, stats, and skills. I think sometimes we're so stuck in MO1 archetypes we forget to look at the hole and not just the nail.

Last edited:

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I keep seeing people trying to post new meta hybrid builds and I continually think "These are objectively worse than similar builds you could make before the nerf and those builds weren't overpowered then, so why on earth would you play these?"

Like I keep saying. Full-fighters were good before the nerf. Full-mages were good before the nerf. What role do hybrids play in group fights that is so absolutely essential you would continue to play one despite their change from balanced to undpowered when they're they only role that got smashed this patch?

Why do we keep bringing up MO1 to discuss a radical change to the MO2 meta that happened a week ago?

Archiel

Apr 5, 2021
I deleted it because I got my math wrong. I went back and looked at the numbers and recordings of distance with Thursars and Veela, and saw that Thursars are by far the best runners which changed my perspective.

for me the balance with this has a lot to do with how they balancee Thursars and if they will remain the way they are. Stam useage difference when running is (stam usage per second)

Thur = 4.8 weapon in and 6.35 weapon out
Veela = 5.66 weapon in 7.46 weapon out

Veela have around 2 stam more per second regen and 1.5ish seconds when using active clade. its 351 stam compared to 381 however. When you factor it all in with good running strategy Thursar still comout slightly on top by a few meters and that changed my idea of how much the Alv have to sacrifice and how pure mage kinda feels a better option in many ways.

At the end of the day I really don't know if I personally feel that is a good balance or not. I feel like if Thursars have a stam useage reduction of say 7 with weapon out for example not 6.35 that would help. It also depends on how much damange a Og spear, or crone sword/axe do. I could see a world in where pure veela hybrids are quite decent in certain areas, but their niche is a fine one. If Thursars lose their stam reduction for all stam usage and only have it apply to weapon swings like I suspect it is meant to be then things change quite a bit. They would lose their effective 90 stam advatage over humans, 45 effective stam over alvs and its probably like 60ish effective more stam then Oghs (haven't tested them). I use to think Thursars should have this to make them worth playing as they lose out alot in non-combat stuff but I'm not sure anymore because I feel that is what is undermining Veela hybrids more.

Idk I see the stam and speed as a bigger balance issue over Veela then the magic change but I don't feel super strongly that the magic change is for the better and I wouldn't cry if Veela hybrids went back to what they were :p

Post post edit:
Very much this ^ SV have got better, but I really wish they would provide statements as to WHY they changed what they changed and what they would like to achieve behind it. This helps us help them as well because we have a lot of experience between us all, obviously we're all a bit bias but it would be much better then the current in the dark on what situation we have. They're going to really need to think about how they explain these things to new players because it is going to be a massive point offrustration for people who have to reroll. Player made guides will help, but this time around when the game lunches they will need a very comprehensive explanation between skills and attributes effects, and how that will practically look in game.

Post post edit 2: Actually another point, this kinda brings humans into the middle ground yet again, because 3 part Tin/Sud with Khur/Kal or 2 part Tin/Sud 2 part Khur/Kal with slight str changes to the ladder combos give a 50/50 int psy, still solid fighting stats and good clade bonus to well round fighters who are literally solid in the middle, not great at anything but not weak to anything, they would reduce the effectiveness of Bulge/Dex Sheevra, and if you wanted to you train just enough for utility magic. I don't hate this as it kinda makes combat super interesting with groups needing to either triple down and have like pure races in a group or races that compliment each other, or heavy diversity.

If you play around with that thorey in your head you can kinda see a lot of rock/paper/sissors happening between races, stats, and skills. I think sometimes we're so stuck in MO1 archetypes we forget to look at the hole and not just the nail.
Did you compare Veela and Thursar stam while using Veela active clade buff?

strycio

Apr 1, 2021
What they should change: old int 50 scaling to 70 -75 int and more attribute points to alvarins and oghmir. So you can play a hybrid with every clade (except thusar) which would be nice imo, human balanced , Alvarin swift and oghmir chunky Hybrid. This would also would make the 100-110 int spot for dex mages/ non fat mages more attractive while keeping fatmages in balance if the curve was logarithmic.

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
Yes lets do this pipe smoking hybrid Oghmirs seems like a good idea;)

What you don't think the pipe smoking isn't balanced? Its the most balanced ability there is, just about as balanced as the current int scaling. edit: /s

Last edited:

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
What you don't think the pipe smoking isn't balanced? Its the most balanced ability there is, just about as balanced as the current int scaling.
You have to put /s at the end or else they won't know you're joking.

Reactions: Vergil

lord_yoshi

Oct 3, 2020
If you wanted to change the magic system as a whole, you shouldn't have whined solely about changing the overall int damage curve. Now hybrids have to lower their psy to maintain the same magic damage. Hybrids being dead because of the change is a pretty big exaggeration.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
If you wanted to change the magic system as a whole, you shouldn't have whined solely about changing the overall int damage curve. Now hybrids have to lower their psy to maintain the same magic damage. Hybrids being dead because of the change is a pretty big exaggeration.
Only full tindremes have the luxury to do that, other race hybrids like veela have to lower str and get even shittier damage. There is only 1 viable hybrid build now, unless you want to be gimped

Reactions: Kelzyr

Morwen

Mar 18, 2021
Pages of people crying and veelas will actually get buffed with a new clade lmao.

That was my point to hold your tears before everything is settled down and rest of the builds are in the game, cry babies.

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
Pages of people crying and veelas will actually get buffed with a new clade lmao.

That was my point to hold your tears before everything is settled down and rest of the builds are in the game, cry babies.
I think clade gifts are the future of balancing the races going forward, it allows them to do unique and cool stuff outside of just tweaking stats. And thinking of it like that, I am ok with most of the stats and caps and what they do for us at this point. Veela speed via dex is not a big deal if they have clades that make people still pick them as opposed to the others because they're good.

They could even do junk like +magic dmg or healing via a clade gift where it makes sense.

Morwen

Mar 18, 2021
I think clade gifts are the future of balancing the races going forward, it allows them to do unique and cool stuff outside of just tweaking stats. And thinking of it like that, I am ok with most of the stats and caps and what they do for us at this point. Veela speed via dex is not a big deal if they have clades that make people still pick them as opposed to the others because they're good.

They could even do junk like +magic dmg or healing via a clade gift where it makes sense.

First step to balance is to have all stats on linear scaling, then with clades the devs can easily buff/nerf stuff like add max int clade to alvarins and stuff like that.

But some people prefer to cry a river on the forum and "mimimimim my 50 int vela mimnimimi mortal 1", damn is impossile to discuss the topic with these people, like if mortal 1 build balance was the holy bible when in fact it was trash lmao everyone playing same race.