Unreal Engine 5 ?

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
not that much different if you dont make everything new ;)
Not exactly true. in UE5 Shadows are handled differently and work much better in all LOD states. So just from the engine switch alone we'll get better looking outdoor areas. Dungeons will probably look about the same though, since they are so dark, but who knows.

Water reflections on the base implementation are improved, so water will possibly look a bit better. This also carries over if they decide to use the UE implementation for rain making surfaces wet and reflective.

And I think UE5 might have raytracing inherently now as well, so with that on and if it runs at ok FPS that will be a pretty good looking improvement for shadows and surface reflections.

Beyond that, it would require work from the SV team to improve aesthetics. As long as new vs old things dont look out of place they shouldn't be in a rush to update older models for new if they decide to use some newer techniques and technology.

Vulpin

Nov 29, 2021
I don't think SV plans to upgrade the games entire graphic using UE5. I think the biggest things we can expect is smoother game experience, higher FPS, better lighting an weather effects, an hopefully an end to land lines or less craziness when crossing land line.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I don't think SV plans to upgrade the games entire graphic using UE5. I think the biggest things we can expect is smoother game experience, higher FPS, better lighting an weather effects, an hopefully an end to land lines or less craziness when crossing land line.

which is good enough for me haha.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

strycio

Apr 1, 2021
Not exactly true. in UE5 Shadows are handled differently and work much better in all LOD states. So just from the engine switch alone we'll get better looking outdoor areas. Dungeons will probably look about the same though, since they are so dark, but who knows.

Water reflections on the base implementation are improved, so water will possibly look a bit better. This also carries over if they decide to use the UE implementation for rain making surfaces wet and reflective.

And I think UE5 might have raytracing inherently now as well, so with that on and if it runs at ok FPS that will be a pretty good looking improvement for shadows and surface reflections.

Beyond that, it would require work from the SV team to improve aesthetics. As long as new vs old things dont look out of place they shouldn't be in a rush to update older models for new if they decide to use some newer techniques and technology.
Well i dont said that there will be no difference. Sure Lightning and all that comes with it from shadows, reflections and rays will improve, but models and textures wont look much different.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Well i dont said that there will be no difference. Sure Lightning and all that comes with it from shadows, reflections and rays will improve, but models and textures wont look much different.
Well better LOD states will have a positive effect on how models and textures look, so yes?

Reactions: Najwalaylah

mortalsn

May 10, 2021

That is the part that confuses me actually. Could they in a reasonable time (if they wanted to) with just ~30 developers? Because some say adopting UE5 will delay Ashes of Creation release date by a lot, so I assumed it requires a lot of work to make the switch. Maybe it will be partial adoption as you suggest.

Farligbonde

Jan 7, 2021
That is the part that confuses me actually. Could they in a reasonable time (if they wanted to) with just ~30 developers? Because some say adopting UE5 will delay Ashes of Creation release date by a lot, so I assumed it requires a lot of work to make the switch. Maybe it will be partial adoption as you suggest.
The difference between Star vaults development pipline and Ashes Of Creations development pipeline is like night and day.
Have no doubt Star Vault can pull it off in a reasonable amount of time.

Bogler

Jul 6, 2020
Graphics are always a huge pull for players, even those who aren't into the game itself. MO always had some of the best graphics for an MMORPG (maybe not in the mid-end of MO1) so it makes sense that they are keeping up with the technology. Fingers crossed it pays off!

Bathor

Sep 16, 2020
New shaders and rendering won't fix level design - will be cool to see the engine in a huge outdoor environment though! From what I've understood is that the Naanite tech of UE5 is auto-generating LODs in a bit of a different way and replacing the classic LOD0, LOD1, LOD2 way of doing things.

Vulpin

Nov 29, 2021
I believe Ash of Creation team plans to remake the game's entire graphic and how graphic render *& work, SV just plans to use UE5 to improve lighting effects, and increase the game's stability. I mean I could be wrong about this, but given how SV doesn't plan to delay the game but convert it into the UE5 I believe it what they plan on doing. Which IMO is fine I don't think many people who are looking to play this game really care about having next gen graphics, they just want a working game that they'd enjoy.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Fix the damn node lines, stuck spots and endless terrain mesh gaps before worrying about prettier graphics.

Reactions: Vulpin

Nisse

Jun 17, 2021
UE5 will fix the node lines. SV said months ago that they abandoned their own version of the fix as they would rather wait and use the official UE5 fix. The implication is we won’t see node lines fixed before the engine switch.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
UE5 will fix the node lines. SV said months ago that they abandoned their own version of the fix as they would rather wait and use the official UE5 fix. The implication is we won’t see node lines fixed before the engine switch.

:eek:

I mean I feel that, but otoh, all of these just wait things also irk me. Cuz you never know how long it's gonna take to switch. My horse disappearing from under me/arrows disappearing... is fine if I'm not being attacked... annoying but fine. However, getting mounts back or, poor BMs... it sucks. I dunno why they can't just make pets leash harder and re-appear until then. I dunno what other node line stuff is happening.

Hope the fix is coming soon. Put the new 40 dollar second acct EMDASH GRANT in that jar.

This is one of the cases where a bandaid fix is NECESSARY.

Farligbonde

Jan 7, 2021
False. Nodelines are basically just servers and is on SV side.
What you are thinking of is level streaming, that will improve with UE5. The level streaming lines are basically the hiccups you can feels close to a town etc..