UE4 to UE5

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
It's not a super simple task, it's not as seamless as documentation makes it appear. While there is backwards compatibility, there is also isn't alot of backwards compatibility. Still have build certain systems and code base with UE5 in mind, as a lot of things are UE4 specific and very different in UE5, and then adapt that to the new engine codebase when you switch over.

A lot of differences in meshes, world building, lighting, water tech etc are also present in UE5, which requires manual work to adjust from UE4 standards to UE5 standards.

UE5 is no silver bullet, it's not going to fix every major issue with the game, but will improve workflow and offer a lot of stepping stones for future improvements, when UE5 matures over the coming years.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
I feail to understand how this is even remotely needed. Just focus on the game you have and implement sieging and territory control already.

Nobody cares about shinier pixels.

Wyndorn

Apr 20, 2022
There are always exceptions to backend/engine upgrades. Many times in my career I have worked on a project that is "a simple one step upgrade" that actually had 200+ hours of extra work because of some weird gotcha or incompatibility in our proprietary code.

To claim that SV should be able to just instantly upgrade requires an absolutely INSANE amount of hubris.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I would agree with @Turbizzler that it isn't as simple as it looks on paper to push a button to upgrade. I've seen a number of UE4 projects and packages that are either incompatible with UE5, or at best only partially compatible.

That's why you'll sometimes see people having both UE4 and UE5 installed on their machines, because they may have some projects that simply won't work with either engine version.

Calcal

Dec 11, 2021
Since I "don't understand mortal online". Here is how you migrate the project. You're welcome Henrik.

Imagine
View attachment 4749
Look up the Dunning-Kruger effect... you're the poster child for it. It's either that or you're the biggest troll in this community.

That documentation is to update a project file and use it in UE5.

They need to bring in the assets and update them to use nanite. Also, they need to change the lighting in the entire world to use Lumen and/or decide what will be baked and what will not. Even if some parts are automated, it'll take a while and a lot of work to do it properly and ensure it works.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I feail to understand how this is even remotely needed. Just focus on the game you have and implement sieging and territory control already.

Nobody cares about shinier pixels.
Supposedly performance increases with eu5 and this game runs pretty bad. They wont even let us turn off shadows which doesn't do anything to the game play but would make some GPUs produce 30% more fps.

In a game where your FPS affects how much damage you do. Some peoples test show a 20 damage difference between 20fps and 80 fps. Also the game is fps based hit reg so your swing or arrows might go through a target time to time if you have low fps or stutters.

Also the eyeadaption plug in they have on right now makes the game look like garbage and just black blobs or super bright contrast which hurts peoples eyesight and monitors. That would be removed at ue5 but they should just remove it now as that only take 5 seconds.

D

Dracu

Look up the Dunning-Kruger effect... you're the poster child for it. It's either that or you're the biggest troll in this community.

That documentation is to update a project file and use it in UE5.

They need to bring in the assets and update them to use nanite. Also, they need to change the lighting in the entire world to use Lumen and/or decide what will be baked and what will not. Even if some parts are automated, it'll take a while and a lot of work to do it properly and ensure it works.
Henrik already said that nanite will mostlikely be used on some individual models. So that 2 clicks per model process will most likely not happen on any bigger.. usefull .. scale. Very big doubts they will use lumen aswell.

Reactions: Daikos and Tzone

Gulith

Apr 5, 2021
The CEO of SV said that migrating to UE5 is no simple task... Yet when you read the documentation it is exactly that. A simple task. He keeps hyping it up like it will be some revolutionary change, but again... It won't be.
You know you don't know anything, yet you still open your mouth ...
i have moved some small projects from ue4 to ue5, it's simple ... unless you went heavy on the stuff that is deprecated in ue5 ... some old ways of doing things are incompatible with nanite for example, depending on your project, there might me quite a few restructuration process to have everything running.
then there is the stuff that you need to add to make use of the new stuff available from ue5.

D

Deleted member 44

You know you don't know anything, yet you still open your mouth ...
i have moved some small projects from ue4 to ue5, it's simple ... unless you went heavy on the stuff that is deprecated in ue5 ... some old ways of doing things are incompatible with nanite for example, depending on your project, there might me quite a few restructuration process to have everything running.
then there is the stuff that you need to add to make use of the new stuff available from ue5.
Whatever you say big shot. Let's go with your logic. I know nothing. Sure is great that there is documentation on how to do things. Deprecation you say? Like from importing all code/blueprints from UE3? That sure does sound bad. It also sounds preventable and would imply that SV is copy pasting systems from the first game into the second one. We definitely don't have any indication of that happening. It sure would be enbarassing if SVs largest patches like the trinket system or necromancy was imported from the old game. All that "dev time" was actually just copy paste bug fixes and the only "road map" that exist is how many things they can copy paste into the new game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gulith

Apr 5, 2021
Whatever you say big shot. Let's go with your logic. I know nothing. Sure is great that there is documentation on how to do things. Deprecation you say? Like from importing all code/blueprints from UE3? That sure does sound bad. It also sounds preventable and would imply that SV is copy pasting systems from the first game into the second one. We definitely don't have any indication of that happening. It sure would be enbarassing if SVs largest patches like the trinket system or necromancy was imported from the old game. All that "dev time" was actually just copy paste bug fixes and the only "road map" that exist is how many things they can copy paste into the new game.
So ... you are just a waste of time ...
welcome to my ignore list

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Wyndorn

Apr 20, 2022

Are you even a programmer?

Nov 29, 2020
I have worked in IT and used computers and technology as a graphics designer, became a programmer (I'm obsolete now so don't even ask for details but it gave me an appreciation of coding and the steps involved in it that gave me valuable insight with working with developers) and then worked with tech agencies with programmers as a product manager for tech application integrations in e-commerce. Promises of easy flawless upgrade to a complex software application is never a step one, two, three process, especially to a complex game like MO. If MO was a dumb down game yes maybe. But in reality it's not. You will need to go through a product development process to make sure work meets requirements, guidelines, and then tested for bugs and then fixed and then tested again. Something will break and it may cause a domino effect and the funny thing is you won't even know something broke until its tested and caught, or if it falls through QA then the gaming community will find it and report/complain about it. So SVs job is to ensure they catch and fix all elements that somehow break or becomes incompatible in the upgrade process from UE4 to UE5 before it goes live. But I def think it won't be an easy upgrade with a push of a button.

Kaquenqos

May 3, 2022
guys i am the a progamer,
trust me it's easy to do it, i did it. yesterday i did it to it and it worked into two minutes, maybe less than that maybe.

Just follow me...

here we go...!

• Haha
Reactions: Calcal