Tutorial - How to revive MO2

Gladiator

Apr 26, 2022
This is a letter addressed to StarVault.

Hello,

I am writing this 100% objectively, none of this is speculation and/or subjective opinions, these are mere facts.
Here is the instructions you would have to follow in order for your game to revive :
1. Fix the bugs. I think this goes without question, nobody likes to lose their gear because the enemy's sword is invisible, or because they can't see the enemy in the floor etc...
2. Severely nerf skill gain, expecially on Haven. You can basically max your account on the tutorial island in less than a week. This is unacceptable. There should be a severe, 20-30 skillgain you can get on Haven, not one point over. The skillgain overall should go up at a much lower rate, 5-10x lower to be exact, maxing your character in 2 days is lackluster, has no feeling of accomplishment at all.
3. Severely nerf item crafting requirements, but severely buff item durability. Items right now are worthless, nothing has any value because its really easy to spend 2 hours in the jungle and have enough gearsets for a month. This should not be the case.
4. Wipe the game. the 2 points above won't be received well if you don't wipe the game. Completely, clean sheet. Otherwise, people who grinded all their stuff before the changes are at a massive advantage.
5. Make bi-weekly polls on the changes you are ready to implement, ask the community "Is this fine? Do you want this?"
If this is not something you want to do, make a test server in which the changes can be tested 1 month prior to them being on the live client. Otherwise, another scenario
like the red priest removals, or the alliance removals will incur and more people will leave. This is mainly because you guys do not play your own game, that's fine, you don't have to play your own game, as long as you listen to the people that do.

Written sincerely
By Gladiator.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
I think it's too late for skills but yeah. I agree that most skills are way too easy to max out. Even just making it harder to go from 90 to 100 would've increased retention. Especially for crafting skills. Think of games like Runescape where people play just to watch number go up

alabugin

Apr 10, 2022
I think it's too late for skills but yeah. I agree that most skills are way too easy to max out. Even just making it harder to go from 90 to 100 would've increased retention. Especially for crafting skills. Think of games like Runescape where people play just to watch number go up

A better change, although that ship has sailed, was to make higher tier materials necessary to going from 50-60; 70-80; 80-90, etc. This would have drastically increased the cost of high tier materials like platescales, reptile carapace, etc., while simultaneously making high skill crafters a noteworthy achievement.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
A better change, although that ship has sailed, was to make higher tier materials necessary to going from 50-60; 70-80; 80-90, etc. This would have drastically increased the cost of high tier materials like platescales, reptile carapace, etc., while simultaneously making high skill crafters a noteworthy achievement.

yeah overall would be better for the economy. I think one of the main selling points on MO2 was 'Be a master crafter, put your names on swords'. Etc. And I've seen a fair amount of people want to play just to be a crafter. But sadly economy just isn't really there because everyone is self-sufficient, and buying armor is a pain. Even if you do sell armor you can craft way too much with materials. Can easily craft like 100 sets of armor. And it just means that armor only sells for like 50 silver and isn't worth making. Only stuff worth selling is that made of high-end materials and rare books

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Combat skills need to be maxed easily in a open pvp game. This isnt runescape where it doesnt matter that you suck for 200 hours because people cant attack you. You are just a free kill not max stats. Game is unplayable until you are max.

The issue is this opens one of the many can of worms with open pvp games. Its hard to have progression when you need to be max to be viable. But having super fast skills means there's virtually no progression which hurts player retention.

Crafting and stuff I'd be fine with slower skill gain. But they need to re do the system to actually make sense. You shouldn't need 100 armor crafting to make max quality robes, which can be made at 0 skill. They should max at like 20-30. Like everything eles in the game, the current crafting systems requires max lores and 70+ crafting skills to not be throwing out materials. Slower skill gain would just be aids, then you have to make 10000 bows just so you can make a not shit crepite bow.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
Sounds like you want artificial content with longer skill and gear grind. There are a lot of popular MMOs that do that already.

I also think doing that only makes the entry for newer players even worse, while hardly effecting current players. If it were this way at launch, then yeh sure I wouldn't have a strong opinion on it. However, gathering and extracting in this game is already painfully boring as is.

I'm still waiting for MMOs to reinvent the wheel and find another form of progression than gear/level grind. Its lazy dogshit and is the reason pay to win exists. MO2 could be that game, but it needs tons of content and a endgame loop that consists of a lot more than just sieging and mindless roaming.

Gladiator

Apr 26, 2022
Sounds like you want artificial content with longer skill and gear grind
Artificial content > No content.
But in terms of gear grind, the gear in MO2 is disgustingly cheap. Its not fine to grind 2 hours and have enough armor for 2 months. Its just not fine.
And its not fine for your sword to be destroyed in one single fight, it's not ok. It's a bad game mechanic, no matter where you ask

Exiledkhallisi

Jan 27, 2022
This is a letter addressed to StarVault.

Hello,

I am writing this 100% objectively, none of this is speculation and/or subjective opinions, these are mere facts.
Here is the instructions you would have to follow in order for your game to revive :
1. Fix the bugs. I think this goes without question, nobody likes to lose their gear because the enemy's sword is invisible, or because they can't see the enemy in the floor etc...
2. Severely nerf skill gain, expecially on Haven. You can basically max your account on the tutorial island in less than a week. This is unacceptable. There should be a severe, 20-30 skillgain you can get on Haven, not one point over. The skillgain overall should go up at a much lower rate, 5-10x lower to be exact, maxing your character in 2 days is lackluster, has no feeling of accomplishment at all.
3. Severely nerf item crafting requirements, but severely buff item durability. Items right now are worthless, nothing has any value because its really easy to spend 2 hours in the jungle and have enough gearsets for a month. This should not be the case.
4. Wipe the game. the 2 points above won't be received well if you don't wipe the game. Completely, clean sheet. Otherwise, people who grinded all their stuff before the changes are at a massive advantage.
5. Make bi-weekly polls on the changes you are ready to implement, ask the community "Is this fine? Do you want this?"
If this is not something you want to do, make a test server in which the changes can be tested 1 month prior to them being on the live client. Otherwise, another scenario
like the red priest removals, or the alliance removals will incur and more people will leave. This is mainly because you guys do not play your own game, that's fine, you don't have to play your own game, as long as you listen to the people that do.

Written sincerely
By Gladiator.

1. The game runs incredibly smooth for what it is... I've crashed maybe 5 times since launch with over 1200 hrs. Also, you can easily tell which direction someone is swinging with an invisible weapon. Its uncommon, but yes it is annoying. Ill give it that.

2. Nerf skill gain? You dont understand what this game is about. The real game hasnt even begun yet.

3. Item crafting is great, durability is fine, gives a steady gameplay loop.

4. A wipe would be the final nail in the coffin. If they did wipe, the big guilds would still be the same big guilds... you wont get an even playing field..the big guilds will still outnumber ylu amd slaughter you while you tried to claim stake out some form of "even" advantage. The same guilds will still have an advantage over you.

5. Yes.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Sounds like you want artificial content with longer skill and gear grind. There are a lot of popular MMOs that do that already.

I also think doing that only makes the entry for newer players even worse, while hardly effecting current players. If it were this way at launch, then yeh sure I wouldn't have a strong opinion on it. However, gathering and extracting in this game is already painfully boring as is.

I'm still waiting for MMOs to reinvent the wheel and find another form of progression than gear/level grind. Its lazy dogshit and is the reason pay to win exists. MO2 could be that game, but it needs tons of content and a endgame loop that consists of a lot more than just sieging and mindless roaming.

Real question though, why even have a 0-100 skill system if you're not going to utilize then. I know skill caps but why not just let people pick what skills they want then instead of making them level up at all or some other way of progression

Reactions: Kaquenqos

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
Real question though, why even have a 0-100 skill system if you're not going to utilize then. I know skill caps but why not just let people pick what skills they want then instead of making them level up at all or some other way of progression
I mean I wouldn't even be opposed to it. I leveled weaponcrafting 3 times because I kept making a new char. Anyone who has maxed their weaponcrafting knows how painfully stupid it is. Mass gather bone tissue and cotton...click for hours. Fun!

Same goes for other skills. Leveling a weapon. Make bone tissue swords. Hit your friend with a macro. Macro armor training. Macro magic.

Its a terrible system. I would even prefer quests that give you skill levels over macro or cheap item spam. Again, it hurts new players. Having macroing being basically mandatory is just bad and MO has always been that way. These new players come into the game, roaming the world and playing a game like usual, and run into someone who macro'd to 100 and the other new guy doesn't even have a chance. He's thinking "wtf this isn't fun".

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaquenqos

Grey

Apr 1, 2022
Unfortunately nothing will help this game.... unless new competent management and solid finance,
This is not MO1 but MO2 but look like SV learn nothing for 10 yr of MO1 and make some aspect of game worse.
For example Friend/Foe was better in MO1. Its almost impossible to ID on horseman.

Kaquenqos

May 3, 2022
The whole thing about making grinding take longer 'especially in haven' is an asinine and terrible suggestion. Yes, that's what the new player experience needs, an even greater handicap for them vs. people who have been playing for months... What does grinding actually add to the game in terms of fun/content? Nothing. People maxing out their character in 2 days on Haven? That's impossible, there are literally book-only-skills mandatory for most builds you do not have access to, not to mention a huge swathe of resources you have no access to. What you are actually upset about here is that new players choose to learn the ropes in the safety of Haven for, in your opinion, too long... You see this as a problem but you obviously fail to identify the underlying issue: people want to enter the full-loot pvp domain with as little a handicap as possible. Allowing new characters start with a greater degree of essential combat skills (apparently many people just use macros anyway), thus shortening the grind they have to do before they can compete in any way, maybe giving access to decent starter gear(you can only take 1 set you have equipped anyway), these are things that would encourage people to leave Haven earlier while also encouraging pvp & making the new-player experience faster/smoother. You're suggesting a remedy that is worse than the ailment. Perhaps there are changes that would benefit the skill system, but 'just make everything take longer' is the worst possible suggestion.

Next you say decrease the requirements for crafting things, and drastically increase durability... What you are suggesting would break the in-game economy, which is one of the only in-game dynamic player-driven systems that works close to as intended atm. Even just suggesting adding a 'repair' skill that at 100 skill allows people to repair items at 80-75% of the initial resource cost would be a more sensible suggestion. Then you would at least create another 'profession' type skill, potential source of income for players who take the skill, and not completely FUBAR the resource/gold/economy dynamic. Point being: resources & gold needs to be in flux for the economy to function with any degree of realism. It doesn't make any sense that you are arguing that equipment is without value because you can make it too quickly, then suggest a 'solution' that would ostensibly make equipment easier to make & last longer... Huh...?

Then you go on to ask for a wipe... Yeah, okay. I mean, I wouldn't be entirely against a wipe for myriad reasons, but you're painfully contradicting yourself here. So, you're worried about player retention due to changes and want SV to have a round-table with the playerbase to guide their development to stave off player-loss? Yet, you suggest a complete wipe? That's a quick ticket to getting a big chunk of seasoned vets to quit or at least take an extended hiatus, and obviously a bad move for player-retention.

Basically, excepting your 'fix bugs' suggestion, all of your advice is bad.

Last edited:

Levvy

Mar 28, 2021
There are so many tedious grind-a-thons out there, and you want MO2 to go that route?

This is a game about player-driven content and PvP, not endlessly grinding skills. Also, with the character slots being what they are, people reroll quite frequently: they need to be able to get back into the action quick.

You seriously want to stretch out the crafting and skill grind? I’m not sure you’ve thought about this. If you want a game where you can endlessly do the same things over and over and watch your character develop, play one of the many games that offer such an experience.

Aside from bug-fixes, these are bad ideas—learn to have fun on your own! You don’t need endless carrots dangled in front of your nose!

Grey

Apr 1, 2022
IMHO...
#1. Finish mofo game! That simple! Enough with non working clades, bugs etc.
#2. 2 char per account. At minimum 2 char. with common name, affiliations, karma.
#3. Improve server performance and friend/foe ID.
#4. Scalable fonts. Not every one got 20/20 vision.

Reactions: Calcal and Jatix

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
1. hire PvP designer
2. bring back emojis and copypastas to the discord

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Additional grind for skills I need to PvP is the last thing that would generate more interest in this game for me.

An entire revamp of the crafting system to make it like more like Wurms (which is significantly grindier) would generate interest as an MMO with Wurm crafting AND good combat is what I've been waiting on forever.

More detailed and interesting territorial control mechanics and other things to fight over would get me more interested.

Making delivery tasks more like a true trade system seen in games like ArcheAge would generate more interest for me.

Having to deal with this game's terrible macro-bait leveling system even longer would not. Nor would needing to farm more walkers and bandits (though if action XP were actually generated by combat rather than repetitive grindy actions like jumping everywhere to level jump I could STAND a slightly longer grind).

Last edited:

alabugin

Apr 10, 2022
IMHO...
#1. Finish mofo game! That simple! Enough with non working clades, bugs etc.
#2. 2 char per account. At minimum 2 char. with common name, affiliations, karma.
#3. Improve server performance and friend/foe ID.
#4. Scalable fonts. Not every one got 20/20 vision.

I'm fine with 2 char per account if they shared the profession skill tree.

Reactions: Jatix