Town bank fees

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
There's a few things the game still needs to address when it comes to the safety and persistence of towns, especially before or while TC/Housing/Keeps are being implemented.

Some of the concerns raised around player housing is storage and that no one will want to use house storage if it's not just as or more beneficial, to store there over a town's bank. I disagree with this on the basis that there are certainly ways to introduce additional mechanics to help address or give choice to whether or not to store in a player home/keep. With this in mind, I propose implementing a Town Bank fee mechanic alongside the TC/Housing/Keeps release:
  • All NPC banks charge a fee:
    • Fees scale up based on a percentage of the total value of the goods stored there (including inside bags) and discount the amount based on reputation with the banker's faction.
    • Management/Negotiation skills impact final fee.
    • Blue towns have a higher base fee for usage - say 7%? (due to being guarded/secure)
    • Red towns have a lower base fee for usage - say 4%? (due to the lack of guards/security)
  • Fees accrue by this calculated amount once per real life day.
    • The fee calculation is only made when you visit the bank for the first time that real life day.
      • This is so the server doesn't need to do calculations while you're offline or not using that bank. The server can also just timestamp the last time you used that particular bank and store that against your character.
    • Fees continue to accrue for maybe 14-30(?) days after your last login.
      • This way the mechanic isn't gameable but you're also not overly penalised for large amounts of inactivity to the point it's not worth coming back and playing.
    • Fees should cap at different amounts based on their location and guarded status.
When it comes to paying the fee, if you were to have gold in the bank that can be used to pay the fee, that should be the first option when prompted to pay. If there isn't enough gold in the bank to pay the fee, allow the player to see the amount owed and pay that fee from their inventory "before" they can then use the bank. Ultimately, why wouldn't the bank cost? Everything else does?

From there, make player housing, keeps etc. and their respective storage NOT 100% safe but obviously also not have a fee cost to using it. Ultimately this creates an interesting consideration for players to make:

Do I risk storing my items and goods at my player home or keep?
Do I accept paying the higher cost of having my items secured in a town bank?

Last edited:

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
I personally don't see how this makes the game better or more fun, which in my opinion is what it needs most. I don't see anyone playing MO2 being hyped because they get to pay for bank use in a town.

Game mechanics can exist for reasons outside of being fun or engaging. It's the same reason death and loss exists in this game. Those things aren't "fun" but serve a purpose. As detailed this would need to come alongside the TC/Housing system to help solve the issue pointed out, that no one will want to store goods in their homes unless it was as beneficial as banks to do so. This suggestion tries to address this.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Game mechanics can exist for reasons outside of being fun or engaging. It's the same reason death and loss exists in this game. Those things aren't "fun" but serve a purpose. As detailed this would need to come alongside the TC/Housing system to help solve the issue pointed out, that no one will want to store goods in their homes unless it was as beneficial as banks to do so. This suggestion tries to address this.
How about your house is closer to the farming spot and you don't have to travel for an hour to store your stuff in a town. Isn't that reason enough?

Reactions: Xunila

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
How about your house is closer to the farming spot and you don't have to travel for an hour to store your stuff in a town. Isn't that reason enough?

Potentially yes, however, using your example this would only be true for said farmed materials you build closer to. You're still not going to want to store valuables in your home or player town given it's not 100% safe.

At the time stamp here on stream it was detailed that there will be more expensive & limited magical storage (sounded more like you hire a banker for your player town) but also mentions that houses do have standard storage outside of this. I'm trying to double down on the latter so that people have more of a reason to use their house (especially when built outside of player towns) for storage with the understanding that potentially loss from both sieging and thievery is possible.