Tower Shield Mages Need to Go.

Sally

Dec 2, 2023
You have a class that can hit through armor, is hitscan (easier to aim than archery), and they can tank too.

They can tank whilst charging a spell.

What is their weakness???

A weakness of a mage was always that they folded like paper. They could also fold anyone else like paper. High risk high reward. That was the life of the mage.

Now you have high reward and minimal risk.. This is broken. I read some ancient reddit post saying they were going to nerf this, yet, here we are, they're still here making archers and melee obsolete by just turning their back.

Some of the terrible arguments i've seen regarding this being left in the game (which i'll now debunk) are as follows :

A) It takes skill to keep someone behind you whilst casting a spell.

LOL no. If they're not infront of you, they're behind you. That is not hard or skilled. It is reacting to basic perception with no real demand on your thinking capacity. If that is skilled, then you are probably sub 80 IQ.

B) It Costs more to be a mage.

Cost of your class should have no impact on the balance in an actual fight OUTSIDE of your gear.

A melee fighter in the best gear should be on a somewhat even footing to a fully geared out mage. Their skills should ultimately end up roughly equal in terms of their utility and strength. That should be the aim. Again, i said UTILITY and strength, so not just damage.

Cost should be there to limit the number of people playing a class, why? To balance large scale PVP. That is the only time costs should be factored into balance.

C) It takes longer to get started as a mage

Again, terrible logic. Something tied to skill points outside of the fight itself and outside of your gear, should not be allowing you to roll everyone. This is bad design because it is inherently unfair on other styles of play in the fight. Why should a mage just be more powerful for no real reason other than it took a couple of days longer to get all the skills? It just isn't really a fair way to balance, and just makes people feel cheated in a fight.

Just because something took a bit longer to get started doesn't mean you should be able to have an easier time killing everyone. I'm not sure why you think something beyond your gear, your base class, should be giving you a hard advantage over everyone else. It should never work like that, it ruins the balance and fairness.

Notice, most of the arguments being made do not deny how broken this tower shield mage combo actually is, instead, they attempt to justify the broken-ness for reasons outside of the fight itself.

They know it is broken. They like that it is unfair.

These people should be ignored. You play a mage? It should be high risk high reward. They can melt literally everyone aside from maybe other mages. You cannot have high reward no risk, and then attribute it's fairness to high costs/difficulty, because then everyone will just end up wanting to play mage, and everyone who doesn't will just quit due to it being unfair. All other classes become obsolete.

Now, i've played mage before, and i know it can be punishing. You die so easily (assuming you're not using this towershield exploit), however, you are also able to heal others and melt literally everything if left unchecked.. You just don't want to accept your massive power must come with a massive cost. That cost should be your physical defense.

Tower shields remove this weakness, and so, tower shields need to be taken away from mages. i don't care how it is done really.. But someone of high intelligence wielding a giant shield is not only breaking the game, it also looks terrible from an immersion perspective.. It needs to go. Some people suggested a strength requirement, i think that is a fine idea.

I should also note, this shield literally locks out archers.. So as an archer, what is your role if you're unable to kill mages? Can't kill armored targets without a headshot, which is never landing because your weapon is projectile and not hitscan, can't kill mages... What are you good for? Killing other archers? There won't be any, because archers are useless against everything except horses (which mages are still superior at killing btw).

Mages are the everything class now. They can range better than archers, because their hitscan and all their moves are basically weakspot by default. Some of these moves are even AOE. They can melt melees, i've seen them using death hand to demolish melee opponents. They use dex mages so they have high mobility, you can't get round to their front because they move faster. It is disgusting.

Please put some kind of limitation on mages using towershields. It completely negates what their weakness is supposed to be. They are high reward and low risk. It is just not fair.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iloros

Weis

Jun 1, 2022
Weve been doing some PVP training with our footies and when I have to use my footie against Dex mages its a bit cancer to even get the spacing to dive them. The only counter here is being a veela realistically. The Tower Shield was Nerfed by adding a ton of weight so its more of an Ohgmir exclusive build now, but theres still a lot of legacy tower shields out there making it an absolute nightmare to kill these mages.

Archery isnt a counter to this because theyre near impossible to hit when their back is turned with a shield.

Veelas even arent a counter at the end of the day because good dex mages will death hand spam and get HP from the skill.

The only counter ive seen is pets, but a good dex mage can kill a pet with a dagger. Double Dire wolves however, are super great against mages. But cant exactly say thats the answer to the problem.

Perhaps they should impliment a speed penalty for carrying the tower shield on your back to fix this? That way it doesnt nerf Ohgmirs that are using it in an offhand.

Reactions: Monco and Jethub

Jethub

Dec 1, 2021
Weve been doing some PVP training with our footies and when I have to use my footie against Dex mages its a bit cancer to even get the spacing to dive them. The only counter here is being a veela realistically. The Tower Shield was Nerfed by adding a ton of weight so its more of an Ohgmir exclusive build now, but theres still a lot of legacy tower shields out there making it an absolute nightmare to kill these mages.

Archery isnt a counter to this because theyre near impossible to hit when their back is turned with a shield.

Veelas even arent a counter at the end of the day because good dex mages will death hand spam and get HP from the skill.

The only counter ive seen is pets, but a good dex mage can kill a pet with a dagger. Double Dire wolves however, are super great against mages. But cant exactly say thats the answer to the problem.

Perhaps they should impliment a speed penalty for carrying the tower shield on your back to fix this? That way it doesnt nerf Ohgmirs that are using it in an offhand.

I think the speed penalty is a great idea to counter the tower shield 'problem'. I always have the idea of mages being squishy regardless, but I guess that is an old d&d stereotype my mind doesn't want to let go of.

Weis

Jun 1, 2022
I think the speed penalty is a great idea to counter the tower shield 'problem'. I always have the idea of mages being squishy regardless, but I guess that is an old d&d stereotype my mind doesn't want to let go of.
Ill bring it up during henriks next stream. We have around 10 or so legacy tower shields right now and the market still has plenty to go around to sustain this cheesy style of gameplay. Mages are always squish in this genre as they should be.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
people are just going to equip and unequip the shield like they already do

ESGOAT

Dec 1, 2023
Its kind of a boring fix but maybe they should just make shields not reduce damage when on your back. With the ability equip it instantly there's ways to avoid any debuff it gives, so unless they gave it debuffs and a super long equip/unequip time which doesn't sound good either. It might also go a little way to make tower shield oghmirs not the undisputed best ff

Midas

Feb 25, 2022
if your gunna implement a speed debuff for towershields it should defeinitly be also done for armor.