Too Easy to get to 100 on skills?

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Just me? Or is it too fast to level stuff? With some dedication could win skills to 100 in under 2 days.

You might give up tho, if it wasn't in haven. Which is why I still contend haven is bad for the game. MO has changed to require costly things to use their 'new features,' but I liked it most when it was like just take a short time to skill up and play.

Have fun.

Reactions: UnBound&Banned

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
Just me? Or is it too fast to level stuff? With some dedication could win skills to 100 in under 2 days.

i kinda agree ! Some skills lvl too fast and some too slow. I think the weapon skills should lvl much faster, so people can switch their weapon skill fast, becuase it is boring to only play 1 weapon.

Other skills could lvl much slower.

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
There's absolutely no need to slow it down. The game wouldn't get any more hardcore if you had to afk macro your skills in your house for days each time you wanted to change your build. You can't fight as a footie and come back 15 minutes later as a mage and that's enough.

Beta was hell of a fun and you could level all skills and clades in one hour or even less than that. While getting back to x100 rates would be too much, i don't see any value in slowing down the leveling process either.

Reactions: Doom and Gloom

Valoran

May 28, 2020
If we want to value long term character skill progression, yes some skills level way too fast.

The problem is action skills can't require too much investment, otherwise there will be a significant gap between a new player's PvP ability and a long time player.

Some profession skills however, could level much slower. For example, the lore skills currently level insanely fast, to the point where butchering one stack of carcass gives you multiple levels all the way up into the 90s for that lore. You can reach 100 in an animal lore skill in one to two trips of hunting said animal, and that's clearly silly.

In MO1 we had a few skills that took a very long time to reach level 100, such as refining. For the few who did put in the time, it was very rewarding to max it out.

On launch I decided to train fishing on my new character, but because there was no fishing book on Haven I had to level it up manually by actually fishing. By the time I had reached level 80, it already felt far more satisfying than almost any other skill that I got to level 100 by using the book until 70 which requires me to do nothing.

There is a lot of room for making certain profession skills more of a long term investment, which will increase the sense of satisfaction and attachment a player has toward their character.

The crucial part is making sure a skill is a suitable candidate, in that it won't affect PvP balance too much.

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
If we want to value long term character skill progression, yes some skills level way too fast.
There's no "progression". You lock yourself in a house/town and don't go out until you're ready.
As for professions, again there isn't much of a point. You don't "progress", you grind them until you can craft anything useful. It's no fun at all. We just need more professions like say fishing or alchemy. You don't become a fisherman or an alchemist after simply leveling the related skils. Even though some data is publicly available you need to do a lot of your own research to excel in your craft. Unfortunately it doesn't work this way for most other professions, but i don't really see a point in slowing their leveling down.

Reactions: Deleted member 44

Valoran

May 28, 2020
There's no "progression". You lock yourself in a house/town and don't go out until you're ready.
As for professions, again there isn't much of a point. You don't "progress", you grind them until you can craft anything useful. It's no fun at all. We just need more professions like say fishing or alchemy. You don't become a fisherman or an alchemist after simply leveling the related skils. Even though some data is publicly available you need to do a lot of your own research to excel in your craft. Unfortunately it doesn't work this way for most other professions, but i don't really see a point in slowing their leveling down.
That's a matter of perspective.

If you personally want to meta game, that's up to you. Not everyone plays like that however.

Also, it depends on where the increased time investment comes. Currently for crafting, the crafting levels 1 - 69 are almost universally seen as useless or not viable, however from 70 - 100 the durability increase can be taken or left depending on who you ask.

If more professions had similar breakpoints for different things, we could increase the investment it takes to get to 100 without "requiring" players to grind it before being viable.

It's possible, just with a bit of thought first.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
The 1-70 thing was BAD. It's good that you can basically bookread w/o spamming, but books read long in a lot of cases. You throw on pole swords or whatever and it's like HEHE. Plus how much bone tish and leather. Like I said my HU is a fighter and she ain't getting respecced. Too much bone tissue traffick and I'm not one of those dudes sitting on 3 stacks of gold to just buy mats.

But butchery levels stuff fast, true. However, things drop many stacks. A stack is a big slab, we're talking people who are learning about butchery in general. How many times of chopping things do you think you'd need? You wanna know how many stacks it takes, try to push crusher to 100 haha, or ore extraction, or refining. It goes slow. Wep crafting is too slow, too. It's a weird system.

I do think a lot of combat skills and such should level faster. I unspecced taming on accident (lol) when I was trying to get herding (that ING yknow,) and it took me a day of reading to remember how to grab a horse.

Some profession skills however, could level much slower. For example, the lore skills currently level insanely fast, to the point where butchering one stack of carcass gives you multiple levels all the way up into the 90s for that lore. You can reach 100 in an animal lore skill in one to two trips of hunting said animal, and that's clearly silly.

I guess this is what I Was talking about, at the walkers in haven, set up a fire pit, and every 4 walkers, I gain 6-10 of what ever cooking thing, and advance cooking was leveled to 100 in like 2 hours. I can see how Action would need to be leveled fairly quickly, but game was 10 years long before making this, and MO 2 will probably go for 20 years. Would be nice to be rewarded for being someone who can play for 20+ hours a day. I'm sorry you feel like you have to AFK macro to play a game, little unfair and cheating. Thanks for your conversation and ideas towards this, has opened my eyes a bit more. Thank you friend.

But butchery levels stuff fast, true. However, things drop many stacks. A stack is a big slab, we're talking people who are learning about butchery in general. How many times of chopping things do you think you'd need? You wanna know how many stacks it takes, try to push crusher to 100 haha, or ore extraction, or refining. It goes slow. Wep crafting is too slow, too. It's a weird system.

Crusher and what not is fine, because that has to do with your lore of the rocks, lower rocks knowledge lower yield less skill points.

As for your chopping up meat. Filet a fish like chef ramsey, I'll wait :D

D

Deleted member 44

Exactly. The skill system is just grind. The game is a subscription based game. Everything is gated behind time so that you have to pay to continue to level your character. The game design and the subscription model is predatory. Just a predatory as gatcha games Henrik says he doesn't want to be. In the current game state I will never subscribe to play this game.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Yeah afk leveling skills is so fun, lets force people to macro skills for longer!

Exactly. The skill system is just grind. The game is a subscription based game. Everything is gated behind time so that you have to pay to continue to level your character. The game design and the subscription model is predatory. Just a predatory as gatcha games Henrik says he doesn't want to be. In the current game state I will never subscribe to play this game.

That's fine :D have your negative opinion and let those who want to help Henrik and 39 + other employees that @henrik will learn the names of because he is a good boss and cares about all his employees, while people choose to give him thousands of dollars to make this game that the coding doesn't exist and then also give him food, pay his car, help him walk his dog with good dog food, then help pay his fellow Starvaultians that choose to make code that doesn't exist, MAYBE THEY DONT HAVE AC EITHER. Then deal with abusive society comments like this one, Where is your solution? Why are you choosing to use the O.P. Thread as your box? I got you Just want to dump *rainbow* I got you, Patience is a viture. Why are people who have time not rewarded?

I and other people enjoy giving our money away, so thanks to everyone who helps Henrik keep his blue bottle of tears that helps him keep the hot water on to keep that beard perfect along with the Air conditioner that helps that hair stay in place even when he sleeps, and for the rest of us that choose to want to support 39 human beings and henrik to live day to day doing their dream their passion and what they want to do. :D Thanks Henrik for all of your passion and keep driving by example please. Sorry the derail of what I was asking.

Attachments

• Desktop 7-14-2022 8-52-03 PM-925.jpg
    Desktop 7-14-2022 8-52-03 PM-925.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 6