Timeline for Mechanics/Content

Havoc

Aug 23, 2021
Is there an estimated timeline for releasing mechanics still missing from MO1?
I am specifically interested in the release of lockpicking, but I know many other things are still being worked on to be where MO1 left-off.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I am looking forward to the return of lockicking as well.

There is the road map if you have yet to see it:

We probably should be getting an update to it sometime soon since there is only one update left on it.

Thieving is at least in the works.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
The best, most reliable source of information is the roadmap halfway down this page: https://www.mortalonline2.com/beta/

Summary is, in next patch (Tuesday):
  • New design/content for the main Tindrem city.
  • Revised Haven tutorial island/experience.
  • New armor/weapons (leather armor, lances etc).
  • More overworld PvE content.
  • (I believe) Placing the 16 capturable castle/keeps in the world, but they won't be capturable.
They've noted the top three things requested by players are Thievery, Player Housing/Keeps, Fishing.

Henrik (the CEO) did say that as of today exactly, Thievery is a bit on pause as they focus on populating the world with PvE. Those three items I mentioned will probably be implement post persistent release (which is scheduled for October 26th), and I think their highest priority is player housing.

So short answer, lockpicking probably not for a bit after persistent.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
They really need to make pve better, not just populate it. I hope they are working on better AI.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
They really need to make pve better, not just populate it. I hope they are working on better AI.

I mean I agree and they are, but I've seen leaps and bounds of improvement in PvE AI. Not talking about bosses or things like trolls (which already have really cool AI and they plan to expand) but even like Risars/Bandits, the fact that they back up to bandage, dodge arrows, cooridnate between melee and casters etc is already miles above what other MMOs offer for PvE combat, not even mentioning that you have to actually use the player-skill based melee system.

My personal opinion is that a bigger issue is that as a player right now, you log in and unless you want to craft, gather or explore it's really unclear what to do. Even if you decide that you're going to go from one city to another, it's unlikely you'll run into any PvE content or points of interest unless you know where to look or are going through the middle of the forest.

Games like Skyrim are popular because if you in any direction, you run into interesting stuff, which makes the world feel lived in and provides an impetus to explore as a primary activity even without direction. Right now in MO2 it doesn't have that feeling of driving exploration and it's honestly a huge world, so yes, if they want to support general freeform PvE they need a LOT more PvE NPCs around the world, points of interest and things like dungeons, all with meaningful loot so that people want to actually go do it.

Henrik has said they consider PvE, Crafting/Economy, PvP and RP to be basically equal pillars this time around, and I think PvE (and later RP) are the areas most in need of love to support people who primarily want to focus on those types of activities, and they know it, given their focus on PvE population, bosses and points of interest currently.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Maybe have a quest NPC that gives daily quest like bring me this many heads. Or bring me this many swords. The crafting ones you can chose. Gives randoms some direction instead of sitting in town doing nothing.

Reactions: Woody

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
Maybe have a quest NPC that gives daily quest like bring me this many heads. Or bring me this many swords. The crafting ones you can chose. Gives randoms some direction instead of sitting in town doing nothing.

They plan to have that (bringing in heads to improve faction with regions) and that's fine, but my worry is that can be start to feel kind of grindy rather than encouraging exploration. It's one thing to go explore with friends to some point of interest you've heard people talking about (or say, one friend is going to get some rare wood/material and you're going to help protect), run across a bandit camp, or a cave, a tower, or a dungeon, go explore, pull out your torch, have some harrowing fights, come back with a little rare loot and some heads, and be rewarded by guards for the heads instead of just being like, "Oh I need 100 heads? Ok, let me ask where the closest bandit camp is right outside the gate, camp outside, kill them all then wait for respawn for a few hours and gather 100 heads so I can get 5% faction".

In general it sounds like Henrik wants to avoid content/quests being driven by NPCs and things to be more player driven, organic and dynamic. You should want to do things in the game because they're meaningful to you and be rewarded for them, not because an NPC with a question mark told you so.

In my experience in dynamic open world games, content is like water in a dry, hard, sponge. A few drops and the sponge is still basically rigid and dry, you can keep adding water until and it'll keep expanding, until it's full and then it starts to overflow. Finding that right tipping point where the rate of finding interesting content as you explore feels good and fresh as opposed to just empty, but not having fields of wolves/bandits etc everywhere you look as is the case in most MMOs where you'd just farming is a delicate balance.

Reactions: Detrimentum

Tzone

May 16, 2021
They plan to have that (bringing in heads to improve faction with regions) and that's fine, but my worry is that can be start to feel kind of grindy rather than encouraging exploration. It's one thing to go explore with friends to some point of interest you've heard people talking about (or say, one friend is going to get some rare wood/material and you're going to help protect), run across a bandit camp, or a cave, a tower, or a dungeon, go explore, pull out your torch, have some harrowing fights, come back with a little rare loot and some heads, and be rewarded by guards for the heads instead of just being like, "Oh I need 100 heads? Ok, let me ask where the closest bandit camp is right outside the gate, camp outside, kill them all then wait for respawn for a few hours and gather 100 heads so I can get 5% faction".

In general it sounds like Henrik wants to avoid content/quests being driven by NPCs and things to be more player driven, organic and dynamic. You should want to do things in the game because they're meaningful to you and be rewarded for them, not because an NPC with a question mark told you so.

In my experience in dynamic open world games, content is like water in a dry, hard, sponge. A few drops and the sponge is still basically rigid and dry, you can keep adding water until and it'll keep expanding, until it's full and then it starts to overflow. Finding that right tipping point where the rate of finding interesting content as you explore feels good and fresh as opposed to just empty, but not having fields of wolves/bandits etc everywhere you look as is the case in most MMOs where you'd just farming is a delicate balance.
I know of bringing heads for rep. But why would people care about rep really unless they need to grind it to kill their enemies. Most of the new players wont be worring about needing rep to kill people.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
I know of bringing heads for rep. But why would people care about rep really unless they need to grind it to kill their enemies. Most of the new players wont be worring about needing rep to kill people.

The plan is for positive rep to be valuable as well such as getting access to certain special areas of the city and things like that.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.

Aside from heads, I think buy orders kind of filled this role.

The system allowed for players to be both the givers and receivers of said items.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
short term
Aside from heads, I think buy orders kind of filled this role.

The system allowed for players to be both the givers and receivers of said items.
That would prob be 6 months from now at the least. I dont want to be mean to SV but I dont think they can make it really worth it to want to get really high rep. If they did it would prob be very hindering to everyone who doesn have it and a determent to the game. I do like the idea.

But still for a new player they wont know all that stuff and need direction and a objective.

Also need a reason to PvE sooner then later. A quick solution is random daily quest NPC, it also a tactic to get people to log in daily at least used to great success in other games.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
That would prob be 6 months from now at the least. I dont want to be mean to SV but I dont think they can make it really worth it to want to get really high rep. If they did it would prob be very hindering to everyone who doesn have it and a determent to the game. I do like the idea.

But still for a new player they wont know all that stuff and need direction and a objective.

Also need a reason to PvE sooner then later. A quick solution is random daily quest NPC, it also a tactic to get people to log in daily at least used to great success in other games.

The broker system is already in, so I dont think it should take anywhere near 6 months to add the buy order part to it.

I do believe that it is a mistake for SV not to have the buy order system in currently though.

To give new players direction to get early gold, they should be introduced to the buy order system right in the haven tutorials.

But sadly that does not seem to be happening since the system is not even in and they are working on the tutorials now. :(

The buy orders also naturally change regularly as they are filled and new orders are added.

So there is a reason for players interested in filling them to check them often as well.

Dont take me wrong. I may have agreed on such an npc in the past.

The difference between the buy orders and an npc task giver though is that the buy orders are completely player driven.

In the end I feel it is better if NPC's did not take roles that could easily be filled by players.

In a single player game it is all good for npcs to take such roles. But not so much in a game designed to be player driven.

Last edited:
Reactions: Detrimentum

Xatras

Aug 21, 2021
Henrik said at least once that there will be 'tasks' for bringing specific resuorces (not just heads) to npcs. And you will only have limited amount of time to complete those.

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
The broker system is already in, so I dont think it should take anywhere near 6 months to add the buy order part to it.
I do believe that it is a mistake for SV not to have the buy order system in currently though.

The buy order has been very strange in MO1 because you needed one item to create the buy order. We had been able to create buy orders for items in our inventory only. But I would like to place a buy order e.g. for a book, and then I need to select the book from a list and not from inventory. Even more difficult are buy orders for crafted items: I would like to define a buy order for a asymmetric bow with e.g. 115 strength and at least 150 dura, or for a healing potion with at least 50 HP. I don't know if SV will and can implement buy orders like that.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
The buy order has been very strange in MO1 because you needed one item to create the buy order. We had been able to create buy orders for items in our inventory only. But I would like to place a buy order e.g. for a book, and then I need to select the book from a list and not from inventory. Even more difficult are buy orders for crafted items: I would like to define a buy order for a asymmetric bow with e.g. 115 strength and at least 150 dura, or for a healing potion with at least 50 HP. I don't know if SV will and can implement buy orders like that.

I agree completely. The original system had some major flaws. Hopefully SV has recognized the short comings of the original system and plan to address them in the new systems.

I use systems plural there because I think the crafted items part part could be solved separately with a bulletin board tied to the mail system. If they could not do it directly in the buy order systems somehow.

Last edited:

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Henrik said at least once that there will be 'tasks' for bringing specific resuorces (not just heads) to npcs. And you will only have limited amount of time to complete those.
yeah but he also said their would be dragons. I dont expect for him to put any dailies or task anytime soon unless hounded.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
yeah but he also said their would be dragons. I dont expect for him to put any dailies or task anytime soon unless hounded.

He was asked specifically about "dailies" like in other MMOs in a recent stream.

As others have mentioned, his default is "don't have NPCs fill a role in the game if PCs can in an enjoyable way."

He basically said no (as it relates to NPCs handing out daily quests) in a polite way, but that there may be events that occur such as a meteor falling to earth that everyone can see and trying to bring the special materials back, or an idea of a player in the game being selected as "Chosen" every few days etc which allows them to take a set of people they choose to another dimension with tough PvE and if they survive they can get and bring back great rewards.

Keep in mind, the purpose of daily/monthly quests is solely for the game to give you something to do, a task list of sorts to keep you busy, logging in regularly and feeling a sense of progression in absence of anything actually interesting or personally meaningful to do.

I believe the intention of MO2 is for your interaction with the game to be based on your desire to move toward your personal goals, to build relationships and invest yourself in the world, not for the game to tell you what to do every day.

Honestly, I think more and more MO2 shares more lineage with games like Rust, Valheim and Minecraft. None of those games hand you "daily" quests because they are open sandboxes where your engagement with the game is based on your desire to accomplish your own freeform goals. They need to provide content and potential goals to achieve as a menu, but the objectives are usually defined by yourself and the people you play with, not the game.