Things that should be addressed by launch (re: player behavior)

PuckInmortali

Nov 8, 2021
There is something to be said for the freedom of a sandbox PvP. It draws us to it because of its potential. MO2 is great because of this. However, there are some things that happen currently that seem to me to be side stepping the intended purpose of some of the systems in the game, and as such it appears incumbent upon SV to address and fix them. Examples are: stream sniping, imposter guilds, naked horse/pet killers (in guarded towns), and spawn camping (in guarded towns). If you want to court new players who you believe may be interested in a sandbox PvP MMORPG, then meaningfully addressing each of the examples I provided will prevent an exodus of these players. People just won't tolerate it for long, and they have better things to do with their time and money.

I know some will not agree with this, and that is fine. I trust that SV knows that there are certain well known avenues to griefing that exist in their game and that it would be stronger/better/more popular if these things were somehow reduced. Thanks.

EDIT:
I spent some time last night looking at the reasons for these things in game. I watched a stream where a griefer had to be dealt with by a guild. The guild basically had to grief him back to keep him from doing to them or to others. The whole affair seemed unpleasant, and I am pretty sure no one was having a lot of fun. The whole thing went on for around 3 hours.

However, it did become apparent to me that there were reasons that some of these behaviors exist in game like MO2, beyond just mean spiritedness. That being said, mean spiritedness is still the root cause behind most of them. I still stand by the idea, which I actually think is a fact, that the game would do better if they could be reduced somehow, although I do have a fuller understanding of why they exist.

ALSO: There is a whole system around spawn camping, as I was confused and it seems others may be confused about this too. Basically, as I understand it, if you kill 5 people you cannot spawn in town, and have to spawn at, to what was referred to as, a red priest. This is a priest with no guards around. There, you can be spawn camped. I assume too that if you just spawned there, and someone wanted to, you could be camped as well. In addition, if you are at war with another guild, it appears that they too can spawn camp you, even in a guarded town. A few people below have explained why this is. If a vet would like to correct or add to this information, that would be great.

Last edited:
Reactions: grendel

grendel

Jun 13, 2020
Examples are: stream sniping, imposter guilds, naked horse/pet killers (in guarded towns), and spawn camping (in guarded towns)
Stream sniping; in MO we have the amazing freedom to kill the cameraman. Dont take it away. If you want to be a moviestar without asking all present for their consent to be filmed, you need to face the possible conseuences.

Imposter guilds; idk, its annoying when someone pretend to be you, but I dont see how it is a big problem that cant be solved by forum communication and ingame violence.

Naked horse/petkillers; streets are full of scum, deal with them.

spawn camping; annoying and bad sportsmanship, but you can punish them with rep loss.

I am afraid these small annoyances are the price to pay for a real rp game. I do not see any solution that will not make the game worse for everyone.

Welcome to MO.

PuckInmortali

Nov 8, 2021
Stream sniping; in MO we have the amazing freedom to kill the cameraman. Dont take it away. If you want to be a moviestar without asking all present for their consent to be filmed, you need to face the possible conseuences.

Imposter guilds; idk, its annoying when someone pretend to be you, but I dont see how it is a big problem that cant be solved by forum communication and ingame violence.

Naked horse/petkillers; streets are full of scum, deal with them.

spawn camping; annoying and bad sportsmanship, but you can punish them with rep loss.

I am afraid these small annoyances are the price to pay for a real rp game. I do not see any solution that will not make the game worse for everyone.

Welcome to MO.

I would disagree at points. I am more for creative problem solving because I do feel that these are issues that will be detrimental to the game.

1. So, I'll admit I am a little torn on the whole stream sniping thing. However, it can and does go too far. I am forgetting his name, but a streamer had their house destroyed by a group of dedicated griefers. In addition, regardless of how you feel about streamers, you have to recognize their importance in promoting the game. What a good solution to this is I do not know, but I do know that it is has the potential to adversely effect the game overall.

2. Imposter guilds have to be dealt with by the GMs, I feel. Why? Because it is an abuse of in game mechanics. Therefore, I think this is a type of exploit, and should be dealt with appropriately.

3. Dealing with these griefer types in game is difficult, because they have decided they have nothing to lose, and their actions here exist solely to bother/annoy/pester/grief others. There is nothing redeemable about this. It isn't a "valid gameplay style", it's just being ahole because you can. Perhaps a harsher penalty for pet/horse killing in guarded towns should be implemented?

4. Spawn camping in guarded towns can be mitigated some what by placing guards at the spawn, unless I am completely mistaken. This is not a 100% full proof method, but should go a long way to address this. This is probably the easiest one of the four examples I gave to remedy to a large extent.

Rulant

May 30, 2020
How do people spawn camp in town unless you are at war with the guild?

As for stream sniping. LMAO.
If someone wants to stream a full loot pvp game they have to know how things are going to play out. Punishing players at the behest of streamers trying to get paid because they cry stream snipe is probably the single dumbest thing I've heard.

Reactions: Jackdstripper

PuckInmortali

Nov 8, 2021
How do people spawn camp in town unless you are at war with the guild?

As for stream sniping. LMAO.
If someone wants to stream a full loot pvp game they have to know how things are going to play out. Punishing players at the behest of streamers trying to get paid because they cry stream snipe is probably the single dumbest thing I've heard.
Spawn camping shouldn't be a thing at all in a guarded town IMO. I've watched this happening in Tindrem on a video, though it may have been at war scenario. Regardless, who really finds spawn camping appealing? Who says, "You know, today I'd like to play a game where I can be spawn camped." It seems like a thing that shouldn't even exist.

As far as stream sniping is concerned, I kind of agree with you. However, I do think that is a bit of a two edged sword. Maybe it isn't something that can be addressed very well, it just kind of sucks because it will potentially adversely effect the game.

SilentPony

Nov 27, 2021
I would disagree at points. I am more for creative problem solving because I do feel that these are issues that will be detrimental to the game.

1. So, I'll admit I am a little torn on the whole stream sniping thing. However, it can and does go too far. I am forgetting his name, but a streamer had their house destroyed by a group of dedicated griefers. In addition, regardless of how you feel about streamers, you have to recognize their importance in promoting the game. What a good solution to this is I do not know, but I do know that it is has the potential to adversely effect the game overall.

2. Imposter guilds have to be dealt with by the GMs, I feel. Why? Because it is an abuse of in game mechanics. Therefore, I think this is a type of exploit, and should be dealt with appropriately.

3. Dealing with these griefer types in game is difficult, because they have decided they have nothing to lose, and their actions here exist solely to bother/annoy/pester/grief others. There is nothing redeemable about this. It isn't a "valid gameplay style", it's just being ahole because you can. Perhaps a harsher penalty for pet/horse killing in guarded towns should be implemented?

4. Spawn camping in guarded towns can be mitigated some what by placing guards at the spawn, unless I am completely mistaken. This is not a 100% full proof method, but should go a long way to address this. This is probably the easiest one of the four examples I gave to remedy to a large extent.

I agree that some things are worth looking at.

1. Streamers stream the game as it is. Yes, they get higher exposure to pvp or griefing (but also sometimes to extra help), but I don't think anything can be done reasonably with that. Let them join a strong guild and let the guild sort it out. Some playstyles are just not very compatible with streaming.

3. Killing horses in towns is a recognized (by players) criminal behavior, the reasonable response "in-role" would be to treat this similarly to murders, by forbidding entry to that town for the recurrent pet killers, or something similar.

4. Spawn camping should be eliminated by doing something mechanically. Placing guards, changing what attacks are considered legal in cities or near priests, etc. Although, one can usually move to another priest and resurrect in another city.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
You people already got rep nerfs and still arent happy. It used to be please stop in town "griefing", I go to meduli and horses crowding up the city every where. I havent seen any in town greiving"

Now PvP outside of towns is griefing. People are disgusting and will never be satisfied untill PvP is trogglable. Plenty of other carebear option for you to play but you want to take PvP away from PvPers in MO2 one of the only MMOs with OW PvP. Stop trying to ruin games the few games we have left.

Icegoten

Jun 12, 2020
I disagree with two of these.

1. Stream sniping
The streamer should consider hiring bodyguards if they want protection. If you know you're going to broadcast your location and you don't want people coming up and killing you then you should try to get on enough characters good side so they will want to help you stream what you want. Just because you're streaming shouldn't mean you get some sort of special treatment from anyone.

2. Imposter Guilds
I agree you shouldn't be allowed to have a guild name that tries to be another guild name through the use of upper and lower case letters. Things like VII and VIII should be allowed but not something like Igo and Lgo (with a lower case L)

3. Pet killing
I have big plans on a certain day to transport a lot of valuables. I don't want anyone interfering so I hire some people to go into the town and kill any pets that are out and could give chase. I take my crew to the stable, we mount up and ride off, but I leave some guys behind to kill the equerry master so no one can get their pet out and give us a head start. Why should my grand plan be denied if I have enough players to help pull it off?

4. Spawn camping
I didn't even know this was possible in guarded towns because I thought the priest would call the guards on you. I agree with this as well.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
As you covered the subject of stream sniping in your #1 point, this isn't an issue that Star Vault can address:
...appears incumbent upon SV to address and fix them. Examples are: stream sniping...
If you don't want anyone to know where you are, don't wave flags, build bonfires, or beat drums (as someone once said).

There is such a thing as streaming with a delay, and I wish I could give you the details. Even wrong ones, as someone would surely replay to supply the correct ones.
...Just because you're streaming shouldn't mean you get some sort of special treatment from anyone.
Sometimes you might, most times you won't, and I've seen people <in guild name redacted> in MO1 go out of their way to make their own & the collective community IQ seem lower than it really is because they knew someone was streaming. It's really up to the indiviucal how he wants to treat a streamer.

Farligbonde

Jan 7, 2021
There is something to be said for the freedom of a sandbox PvP. It draws us to it because of its potential. MO2 is great because of this. However, there are some things that happen currently that seem to me to be side stepping the intended purpose of some of the systems in the game, and as such it appears incumbent upon SV to address and fix them. Examples are: stream sniping, imposter guilds, naked horse/pet killers (in guarded towns), and spawn camping (in guarded towns). If you want to court new players who you believe may be interested in a sandbox PvP MMORPG, then meaningfully addressing each of the examples I provided will prevent an exodus of these players. People just won't tolerate it for long, and they have better things to do with their time and money.

I know some will not agree with this, and that is fine. I trust that SV knows that there are certain well known avenues to griefing that exist in their game and that it would be stronger/better/more popular if these things were somehow reduced. Thanks.
If they can't tolerate that, its not the game for them. Not saying these things are good. But you cant get rid off all these things without turning pvp off in town for example.

Last edited:

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
As others have said if you don't want to get stream sniped don't stream. Don't want whiny streamers being like 'wah he stream sniped me' every time they die

grendel

Jun 13, 2020

I'l answer 3, I feel that the same point of view can be apllied to the other points, but less pure.
Imo being a griefer is a valid playstyle. Its not a playstyle that I think SV should cater, but within the freedom we have in MO, it is valid imo. I could give you many examples of desperare players using the same tactics as griefers do, as a cheap or last resort against enemies. When players are driven to horse killing and naked attacks in guardzones, they are either desperate to payback or they are psychopaths roaming the streets. Either way it is a valid playstyle, imo.
Some people are just wretched.

MO would be less without them. and anyways, it is not difficult to counter them, you can even make a career out of countering them in guardzone towns.

Reactions: Najwalaylah
D

Deleted member 44

I disagree on all points. In all of the situations you listed, you as the target player can control the outcome of the situation. Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome.

LoPing

Dec 14, 2021
The Short answer is No. None of this needs to be addressed, this is players thinking outside the box and adapting tactics. This is a unrestricted PVP sandbox. Maybe find something else more to your taste?

Reactions: Tzone

Tzone

May 16, 2021

EDIT:
I spent some time last night looking at the reasons for these things in game. I watched a stream where a griefer had to be dealt with by a guild. The guild basically had to grief him back to keep him from doing to them or to others. The whole affair seemed unpleasant, and I am pretty sure no one was having a lot of fun. The whole thing went on for around 3 hours.

However, it did become apparent to me that there were reasons that some of these behaviors exist in game like MO2, beyond just mean spiritedness. That being said, mean spiritedness is still the root cause behind most of them. I still stand by the idea, which I actually think is a fact, that the game would do better if they could be reduced somehow, although I do have a fuller understanding of why they exist.

ALSO: There is a whole system around spawn camping, as I was confused and it seems others may be confused about this too. Basically, as I understand it, if you kill 5 people you cannot spawn in town, and have to spawn at, to what was referred to as, a red priest. This is a priest with no guards around. There, you can be spawn camped. I assume too that if you just spawned there, and someone wanted to, you could be camped as well. In addition, if you are at war with another guild, it appears that they too can spawn camp you, even in a guarded town. A few people below have explained why this is. If a vet would like to correct or add to this information, that would be great.
You might want to find a easier game